ADVERTISEMENT

Alco vs. Southern suspensions from brawl

Appel is both a major public figure and an adult at the pinnacle of his power and success. The history and tradition he stands for are reflected out of every public position and perspective he takes.

Out of four consecutive championships and only a second loss in 60 games, we get an Appel meltdown over a single competitive loss. Worse yet, he blamed someone else for scheduling that game - a game he had final approval for.

The impetuousness of children is exculpatory. The impropriety of an adult is definitive.

As an armchair quarterback I will criticize Coach Appel and his staff as I did for not putting the ball in the air and adjusting the plan as they have demonstrated in the very recent past that they can do. (((Emphasis on the armchair quarterback part as my observations are just that, I am not out there coaching or preparing a team))). I am sure not one coach could give a care about my analysis.

But Lag, you keep trying to drag the coach through the mud over an emotional comment. Why do you sweat him so much? Get off the guy’s balls. He has done more for kids in this town and for high school football in this area than nearly most, as much as all. Yeah, we FH guys will criticize and shout from the stands about football, schemes, etc. Some have more knowledge about those issues than I but you harping on this interview over and over again makes you appear to be a joke.

Hate on something else out of your envy, jealously or boredom; whatever it is that drives you.

I dont foresee Coach Appel coaching more than an another year.

However, the schools wont be merging for at least 5 years, probably closer to 10. Appel will no longer be coaching regardless.
I agree. I don't think he stays too much longer. Very high stress job, and he can go out on top without leaving the cupboard bare for the next coach.

I dont foresee Coach Appel coaching more than an another year.

However, the schools wont be merging for at least 5 years, probably closer to 10. Appel will no longer be coaching regardless.

Having driven by the new Allegany, seen the drone flyover and read up on its high tech capabilities, I would do whatever I could as a parent to get my child into that school.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that Allegany will grow and FH will shrink. After all, football is fleeting. There is no ultimate lifetime gain for a young man to spend his high school years merely basking in the glow of Appel's yearly coronation.

Instead of a rivalry, I would declare the new Allegany as having no peer and drop the FH game as the bad habit that it has become. As more savvy sports-minded parents see the benefit of a high tech school, then a new rivalry can begin.

Having driven by the new Allegany, seen the drone flyover and read up on its high tech capabilities, I would do whatever I could as a parent to get my child into that school.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that Allegany will grow and FH will shrink. After all, football is fleeting. There is no ultimate lifetime gain for a young man to spend his high school years merely basking in the glow of Appel's yearly coronation.

Instead of a rivalry, I would declare the new Allegany as having no peer and drop the FH game as the bad habit that it has become. As more savvy sports-minded parents see the benefit of a high tech school, then a new rivalry can begin.
Can't agree with everything you say, but it makes no sense to build a new high school and then move everyone into the old high school a few years later.

Of course, doing things that don't make sense is a big reason Cumberland is what it has become.

As an armchair quarterback I will criticize Coach Appel and his staff as I did for not putting the ball in the air and adjusting the plan as they have demonstrated in the very recent past that they can do. (((Emphasis on the armchair quarterback part as my observations are just that, I am not out there coaching or preparing a team))). I am sure not one coach could give a care about my analysis.

But Lag, you keep trying to drag the coach through the mud over an emotional comment. Why do you sweat him so much? Get off the guy’s balls. He has done more for kids in this town and for high school football in this area than nearly most, as much as all. Yeah, we FH guys will criticize and shout from the stands about football, schemes, etc. Some have more knowledge about those issues than I but you harping on this interview over and over again makes you appear to be a joke.

Hate on something else out of your envy, jealously or boredom; whatever it is that drives you.

For the record. It is I who posted numerous times that Allegany should have folded into FH with Appel as the coach. But as always, I reassess everything basis the information at hand.

There are average folks who have lost jobs and ruined their marriages over comments they thought were private. Appel was giving a formal broadcast interview.

It's not the end of the world just the end of my favorable opinion.

Can't agree with everything you say, but it makes no sense to build a new high school and then move everyone into the old high school a few years later.

Of course, doing things that don't make sense is a big reason Cumberland is what it has become.

I think that Allegany will grow and if there is to be one school it probably will be Allegany. They are not going to rename Allegany to Cumberland High.

I think that Allegany will grow and if there is to be one school it probably will be Allegany. They are not going to rename Allegany to Cumberland High.
You must of meant I hope they don't rename it Cumberland High or are you on that committee or maybe your just stirring the pot as usual.

Fort Hill and Allegany will combine at some point. The current Fort Hill will be the high school. The new Allegany will be the middle school. Washington and Braddock Jr. High will be closed. The new Allegany is only being built to hold about 700 kids, which is near sighted stupidity. Although they don't have the money to build one much bigger so that decision was already made.The new high school will not be called either Allegany or Fort Hill. It will likely be called Cumberland HS. That's my prediction.

Neither Allegany nor FH will grow in population over the next 5-10 years. Yes, there may be a year or two where either school's enrollment goes up by about 100 students at best. Or down by 100 students. All one has to do is study the enrollments at grades K-5 to see the obvious. Or you can just choose to ignore those numbers right in front of your face as many organizations and leaders in the city of Cumberland have chosen to do.

That's what I was getting at. And with a capacity of 700, will that even hold the two middle schools?

The only option under this umbrella would be to make elementary schools 1-6 again. The middle school 7-8. And Mountain Ridge will expand their region to pick up some of the load. Anyone that argues FH cannot hold upwards of 2000 students is in denial. It's the same exact school with the same amount of classrooms and lockers as when my mother attended back in 1963 when there were 2300 students there. As a matter of fact, they are the same exact lockers, doors, walls, steps and even some toilets and water fountains. But I will credit the county for making sure FH is in very, very good condition. When I walk the hallways it looks very nice and is well kept. Even an earthquake could not take down all that steel and concrete. They just need to find a "down the road" way to heat the building with something other than an 83 year old coal furnace.

Financially, something will have to give.
Argue all anyone wants, which is probably a healthy thing to debate. This is only a personal prediction.

Last edited:
When FH was remodeled in the early 1990's, they made the student capacity smaller. Less than 1300 or so. A new wing on to the current FH could be needed. Cheaper than a new school I suppose.

Call it Fort Cumberland HS! "Home of the Campers" Colors Red, White & Blue.That should satisfy most alumni.

Reactions: Lagmeister
Fort Hill and Allegany will combine at some point. The current Fort Hill will be the high school. The new Allegany will be the middle school. Washington and Braddock Jr. High will be closed. The new Allegany is only being built to hold about 700 kids, which is near sighted stupidity. Although they don't have the money to build one much bigger so that decision was already made.The new high school will not be called either Allegany or Fort Hill. It will likely be called Cumberland HS. That's my prediction.

Neither Allegany nor FH will grow in population over the next 5-10 years. Yes, there may be a year or two where either school's enrollment goes up by about 100 students at best. Or down by 100 students. All one has to do is study the enrollments at grades K-5 to see the obvious. Or you can just choose to ignore those numbers right in front of your face as many organizations and leaders in the city of Cumberland have chosen to do.

Only 700! Well, that shoots my theory all to hell.

The only option under this umbrella would be to make elementary schools 1-6 again. The middle school 7-8. And Mountain Ridge will expand their region to pick up some of the load. Anyone that argues FH cannot hold upwards of 2000 students is in denial. It's the same exact school with the same amount of classrooms and lockers as when my mother attended back in 1963 when there were 2300 students there. As a matter of fact, they are the same exact lockers, doors, walls, steps and even some toilets and water fountains. But I will credit the county for making sure FH is in very, very good condition. When I walk the hallways it looks very nice and is well kept. Even an earthquake could not take down all that steel and concrete. They just need to find a "down the road" way to heat the building with something other than an 83 year old coal furnace.

Financially, something will have to give.
Argue all anyone wants, which is probably a healthy thing to debate. This is only a personal prediction.
I always saw Mtn. Ridge having to take kids from somewhere - whether it be LaVale, or Rawlings/Bel-Air area - to help somewhat. I was always under the impression of what McCoke said, that the remodeling of Fort Hill reduced the capacity.

I hadn't even thought about elementary schools going back to 1-6, but that seems like one of the more viable options and would cover the middle school dilemma.

I just hope the school mascot and name isn't decided by straight popular vote. We'll wind up with Schooly McSchoolface as the local high school.

Reactions: towpath94
I always saw Mtn. Ridge having to take kids from somewhere - whether it be LaVale, or Rawlings/Bel-Air area - to help somewhat. I was always under the impression of what McCoke said, that the remodeling of Fort Hill reduced the capacity.

I hadn't even thought about elementary schools going back to 1-6, but that seems like one of the more viable options and would cover the middle school dilemma.

I just hope the school mascot and name isn't decided by straight popular vote. We'll wind up with Schooly McSchoolface as the local high school.

A few more years of indoctrination and it will be Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

When FH was remodeled in the early 1990's, they made the student capacity smaller. Less than 1300 or so. A new wing on to the current FH could be needed. Cheaper than a new school I suppose.

Call it Fort Cumberland HS! "Home of the Campers" Colors Red, White & Blue.That should satisfy most alumni.
Cumberland Campers sounds better with the colors being blue and white..

I have said this previously. I have seen how a brand new school building and facilities can help the athletic program. If the parents (and the student) have their choice, why wouldn't you choose a new state of the art school?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT