ADVERTISEMENT

1A Schools by 2015 Strength of Schedule

eaglesinsider

All Region Poster
Feb 18, 2013
As calculated by CalPreps, the higher number the better.

Fort Hill: 11.6
Surrattsville: 9
McDonough: 8
Northern Garrett: 7.5
Allegany: 6.6
Forestville: 5.9
Brunswick: 4
Havre de Grace: 3.9
Fairmont Heights: 3.4
Edmondson: 1.6
Boonsboro: - 0.1
North Carroll: - 0.3
Northwestern (Baltimore): - 1.1
Manchester Valley: -3
Smithsburg: -3
Kent County: -5.5
Southern Garrett: -6.1
Joppatowne: -6.8
Perryville: -7.4
Bohemia Manor: -7.9
Cambridge-South Dorchester: - 8.4
Pikesville: - 8.4
Clear Spring: -9.2
Colonel Richardson: -10.6
Patterson Mill: -11.1
Washington: -11.1
New Era: -11.3
Snow Hill: -12.4
FAET: -13
National Academy: -15.9
Maritime Academy: -16.3
SEED: -18.5
Lake Clifton: -18.6
Forest Park: -18.9
Bluford Drew Jemison: -20.8
Lewis: -21.9
Ben Franklin: -25.3
Southwestern: -25.4
Hancock: -31.1

A SOS of 0.0 means that a team's opponents averaged out to be in the exactly middle of all HS teams in the US. A negative SOS means that a team's opponents averaged out to be below average when compared to all the HS teams in the US. A positive SOS means that a team's opponents averaged out to be above average compared to all the HS teams in the US.

Fort Hill's SOS of 11.6 is better than:

2A: Douglass-PG, North Caroline, South Carroll, Dunbar, Thomas Stone, Eastern Tech, Calvert, Marriotts Ridge, Patterson, Kent Island, Elkton, Friendly, Westlake, Largo, Queen Anne's County, Liberty, Middletown, Lackey, Fallston, Mountain Ridge, Hereford, Catoctin, Western Tech, Century, Rising Sun, Parkside, New Town, Overlea, Owings Mills, Williamsport, Easton, Francis Scott Key, Harford Tech, Central, Randallstown, Sparrows Point, La Plata, Wicomico, Southern, Loch Raven, Winters Mill, Carver, Crossland, Chesapeake-Baltimore, North East

3A: Potomac, Tuscarora, Glenelg, Douglass-Baltimore, Wilde Lake, Atholton, Milford Mill, C. Milton Wright, Woodlawn, Chesapeake-Anne Arundel, Patapsco, Poolesville, Edgewood, Northern, Saint Charles, City, Wheaton, Watkins Mill, Hammond, North Harford, Huntingtown, Poly, Bennett, Stephen Decatur, North Hagerstown, Great Mills, Towson, Northeast, Lansdowne, Frederick

4A: North Point, Arundel, Mervo, Paint Branch, Perry Hall, Richard Montgomery, Catonsville, Chopticon, Northwestern-PG, Springbrook, South River, Glen Burnie, Dulaney, Severna Park, North County, Bethesda-Chevy Chase, Kenwood, Laurel, Churchill, Digital Harbor, Parkville, Leonardtown, Northwood, Einstein, Walter Johnson, Kennedy, High Point

Reactions: towpath94
Fort Hill's SOS of 11.6 is better than:

2A: Douglass-PG, North Caroline, South Carroll, Dunbar, Thomas Stone, Eastern Tech, Calvert, Marriotts Ridge, Patterson, Kent Island, Elkton, Friendly, Westlake, Largo, Queen Anne's County, Liberty, Middletown, Lackey, Fallston, Mountain Ridge, Hereford, Catoctin, Western Tech, Century, Rising Sun, Parkside, New Town, Overlea, Owings Mills, Williamsport, Easton, Francis Scott Key, Harford Tech, Central, Randallstown, Sparrows Point, La Plata, Wicomico, Southern, Loch Raven, Winters Mill, Carver, Crossland, Chesapeake-Baltimore, North East

3A: Potomac, Tuscarora, Glenelg, Douglass-Baltimore, Wilde Lake, Atholton, Milford Mill, C. Milton Wright, Woodlawn, Chesapeake-Anne Arundel, Patapsco, Poolesville, Edgewood, Northern, Saint Charles, City, Wheaton, Watkins Mill, Hammond, North Harford, Huntingtown, Poly, Bennett, Stephen Decatur, North Hagerstown, Great Mills, Towson, Northeast, Lansdowne, Frederick

4A: North Point, Arundel, Mervo, Paint Branch, Perry Hall, Richard Montgomery, Catonsville, Chopticon, Northwestern-PG, Springbrook, South River, Glen Burnie, Dulaney, Severna Park, North County, Bethesda-Chevy Chase, Kenwood, Laurel, Churchill, Digital Harbor, Parkville, Leonardtown, Northwood, Einstein, Walter Johnson, Kennedy, High Point

Ssshhhhh!!! Don't tell big savage!

Ssshhhhh!!! Don't tell big savage!
it's okay, he took two midol, a Prozac, and a Zoloft, topped it off with a whiskey...then went to bed, pulled the covers up over his head, pouted until he fell off...hopefully he won't be so cranky when he wakes up. they say jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery but he's taking it way too far.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
LOL. I can picture Savage sitting in his basement bummed out because he can't watch FH play a power every week on TV tape delay. He doesn't go to games. Greenway is the only $6 ticket that gives everyone the right to be an expert. And some of those people don't even want to pay the $6.

We have all tried to tell BoyznBlue that FH schedule was tougher than the likes of Potomac, Friendly, Douglass, Dunbar, etc but he won't buy it. These numbers are not right he will say. Maybe they are or not but it's still a great indication that FH plays a tougher schedule than most everyone else their size and bigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: novaunicorn
I've been saying for a few years now that the other 1a west teams avoiding FH in the regular season has made FH better. You get better playing better competition. Something that the aforementioned teams fail to realize. In essence them avoiding the "big, bad monster in Cumberland" has made the "big bad monster in Cumberland" even bigger and more menacing. I'm not saying play a schedule full of power houses but you have to play some good teams and FH has had a few perfect schedules the last few years. Props to Brunswick for being a school that realizes that.

LOL. I can picture Savage sitting in his basement bummed out because he can't watch FH play a power every week on TV tape delay. He doesn't go to games. Greenway is the only $6 ticket that gives everyone the right to be an expert. And some of those people don't even want to pay the $6.

We have all tried to tell BoyznBlue that FH schedule was tougher than the likes of Potomac, Friendly, Douglass, Dunbar, etc but he won't buy it. These numbers are not right he will say. Maybe they are or not but it's still a great indication that FH plays a tougher schedule than most everyone else their size and bigger.

I hate to throw cold water on your excitement, but this actually confirms what I've been saying. Only one or two of the teams you listed are really "football" schools. Last season Douglass-PG played Wise and Gwynn Park, Fort Hill hasn't played a Maryland team of that quality in probably over 20 years.

I hate to throw cold water on your excitement, but this actually confirms what I've been saying. Only one or two of the teams you listed are really "football" schools. Last season Douglass-PG played Wise and Gwynn Park, Fort Hill hasn't played a Maryland team of that quality in probably over 20 years.

Fort Hill played Douglass-PG within the last few years. Or is it because they played FH and lost, they weren't a "quality" team yet?

Fort Hill played Douglass-PG within the last few years. Or is it because they played FH and lost, they weren't a "quality" team yet?

"Within the last few years"? Every time I ask somebody to name a good team Fort Hill played it's always about 10 years ago, lol - FH played Douglass in 2007 and 2008, winning by 2 and by 5 points. Both games were played at Greenway, of course it never occurred to anybody to play a home and home series - then you wonder why you can't get teams to play you, lol

Gwynn Park ain't all that.
read the SOS posted. That about sums it up.

Like I said, the SOS proves my point. FH's SOS is only better than other schools that don't play serious football. Look at the list again, why are you proud of that?

The best team on the SOS is definitely Douglass-PG and last season they had a close loss to eventual state champions Wise (a team that just had 12 seniors sign to play college football). FH would never think of playing a team of that caliber. If you watch prep football statewide, which virtually nobody on this board does, you would know North Point and Arundel (4A teams on the bogus SOS) would have put FH on a running clock last year.

The best team FH played last season was Keyser and after they beat you people on this board were saying FH shouldn't play them any more because they were too big, lol

Nobody was saying that Fort Hill shouldn't play Keyser, and if they were, they were clearly an idiot who should be completely ignored.

As usual, we get part of a lopsided story from boythatblew. The Douglas loss to Wise was by 13 points, that;s two tds and not close. What's more interesting is that Douglas also had a 2 point loss to a Potomac team that beat Forestville by 33. That's exactly the amount of points that FH beat Forestville. Now that gives us something to talk about

Personally, I think that any one of the three above teams would be a great pickup for FH but none of us have a say in the matter.

In the last few years Todd has assembled a program that right now is leaps and bounds better than anyone in the 1A. He clearly knows what he is doing. You can't bash it, only hate it.

"Within the last few years"? Every time I ask somebody to name a good team Fort Hill played it's always about 10 years ago, lol - FH played Douglass in 2007 and 2008, winning by 2 and by 5 points. Both games were played at Greenway, of course it never occurred to anybody to play a home and home series - then you wonder why you can't get teams to play you, lol

It especially didn't occur to the Douglass coaches who wanted to play both games here.

So Potomac, Dunbar, Douglass, Middletown don't play serious football? OK Boyz, whatever gets your FH hate motor running. LOL.

A 1A school that plays a tougher schedule than all of 1A and more than half of the 2A and half of the 3A schools. That's too funny. Unless FH plays Damascus or Wise or some other 3A or 4A power they don't play anybody. Good one Boyz. And how is FH supposed to get a home and home deal with a PG County school like Douglass? Those schools can't even afford to travel more than 50 miles by rule. Thank god poor old small school FH can shell out the money to get those kids out of Dodge. When they do don't expect those PG schools to return the favor and fork out money for the return game. So to appease people like you FH is supposed to suck it up and pay their own way to PG County? Seriously? And this is why you think schools wont play FH. Geez you arent too sharp sometimes. PG County football SUCKS with a capital S with the exception of 1 or 2 teams every year. And even those teams are inconsistent. As I have stated before, give FH 2000 students and watch them pound the tar out of PG County in a football game just like the Virginia big schools would do now.

Last edited:
This dude obviously has no idea of what teams in MD are "football schools"! Doug-PG, Wise, and Gwynn Park always play each other bcuz they're miles apart, ya know in the same county, something called league play....every other football team in this part of the state and surrounding counties the last couple years has sucked plain and simple, with the exception of a good team here and there from another school not named FH.There's 12-14 schools on that list that are good consistent football teams! Get out and watch some football before ya talk shit about it. At least 15 on there would kill and i mean running clock Alco!

Last edited:

Please explain how to get a home and home series with a PG County team when they cannot travel to Cumberland without compensation.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
As usual, we get part of a lopsided story from boythatblew. The Douglas loss to Wise was by 13 points, that;s two tds and not close. What's more interesting is that Douglas also had a 2 point loss to a Potomac team that beat Forestville by 33. That's exactly the amount of points that FH beat Forestville. Now that gives us something to talk about

Personally, I think that any one of the three above teams would be a great pickup for FH but none of us have a say in the matter.

In the last few years Todd has assembled a program that right now is leaps and bounds better than anyone in the 1A. He clearly knows what he is doing. You can't bash it, only hate it.

I'm not really following your logic in the first paragraph, but it's safe to say FH doesn't want any parts of any of those three schools. I have actually complimented FH many times, but when I say anything remotely critical that is what hypersensitive people remember.

So Potomac, Dunbar, Douglass, Middletown don't play serious football? OK Boyz, whatever gets your FH hate motor running. LOL.

A 1A school that plays a tougher schedule than all of 1A and more than half of the 2A and half of the 3A schools. That's too funny. Unless FH plays Damascus or Wise or some other 3A or 4A power they don't play anybody. Good one Boyz. And how is FH supposed to get a home and home deal with a PG County school like Douglass? Those schools can't even afford to travel more than 50 miles by rule. Thank god poor old small school FH can shell out the money to get those kids out of Dodge. When they do don't expect those PG schools to return the favor and fork out money for the return game. So to appease people like you FH is supposed to suck it up and pay their own way to PG County? Seriously? And this is why you think schools wont play FH. Geez you arent too sharp sometimes. PG County football SUCKS with a capital S with the exception of 1 or 2 teams every year. And even those teams are inconsistent. As I have stated before, give FH 2000 students and watch them pound the tar out of PG County in a football game just like the Virginia big schools would do now.

"PG County football SUCKS with a capital S"??? This statement is so ridiculous all I can say is research how many kids get college football scholarships from PG schools every year.

Please explain how to get a home and home series with a PG County team when they cannot travel to Cumberland without compensation.

You have explained many times how difficult it it to schedule downstate schools. What I said wasn't a shot at you or FH, I said many times FH is playing a smart schedule and you can't argue with 3 straight titles. The only reason I commented was because Brian H mentioned my name ("We have all tried to tell BoyznBlue that FH schedule was tougher than the likes of Potomac, Friendly, Douglass, Dunbar, etc"). Going back to the original post: the research is inconsequential. A three time champion is supposed to have a higher SOS than the rest of those teams.

Really? Douglass wanted to play two road games?

Yes. And they liked it so much they even came up to Fort Hill's football picnic at the park one summer.

The fact that you dont consider Potomac, Dunbar, Douglass-PG, Middletown, and a few others of the 101 non-1A schools with a SOS lower than FH's to be "football" schools, pretty much discredits anything you've said or will say moving forward. You hate Fort Hill. Period. Just freakin' admit it dude. You've resorted to calling perennial football powers "non football" schools just to try and keep your argument going.

All of 1A and over 100 other schools in 2a, 3a, 4a have schedules ranked lower than FH's, and you still cling to this straw man argument.

You have explained many times how difficult it it to schedule downstate schools. What I said wasn't a shot at you or FH, I said many times FH is playing a smart schedule and you can't argue with 3 straight titles. The only reason I commented was because Brian H mentioned my name ("We have all tried to tell BoyznBlue that FH schedule was tougher than the likes of Potomac, Friendly, Douglass, Dunbar, etc"). Going back to the original post: the research is inconsequential. A three time champion is supposed to have a higher SOS than the rest of those teams.

I didn't take it as a shot. Just thought your logic didn't make sense. You made reference that "no wonder FH has trouble finding games" relating this in some way that getting someone like Douglass to come here twice was part of the problem. There is no other way to do it with PG County. Those schools, nor any school that is 2+ hours away, wants to or is even allowed to drive to Cumberland when there are plenty of schools to play in their own back yard. It's a simple business/financial decision, not something FH did wrong. Again, you are trying to use schedule logic that makes no sense as to why FH has difficulty digging 2+ hours away to find opponents and wonder why they cannot get home-and-home series with those teams. It would be very refreshing to find a home-and-home series with those schools believe me.

In fact, to desperately fill the FH 9th game for 2016 we have sent out requests where FH will now pay for a team to travel to Cumberland and then return the game in 2017 on their own dime. And yet still the teams from near DC and Baltimore have balked. Yet you again reference this "smart scheduling" as if there are plenty of choices. I just don't see how folks like yourself cannot accept the fact that FH is still a 1A school who is already playing the toughest schedule in all of 1A if not most of 2A as well. The fact anyone would demand more is plain silly. I'll take it as a compliment to where FH football stands :)

Last edited:
I spoke with two of them after the 2nd game. They LOVED coming here to play. Went on and on about the atmosphere, band, etc.

I believe you. Greenway definitely has an incredible atmosphere, and both games were competitive contests, but I believe they would have preferred to have a home game.

Yes. And they liked it so much they even came up to Fort Hill's football picnic at the park one summer.

The fact that you dont consider Potomac, Dunbar, Douglass-PG, Middletown, and a few others of the 101 non-1A schools with a SOS lower than FH's to be "football" schools, pretty much discredits anything you've said or will say moving forward. You hate Fort Hill. Period. Just freakin' admit it dude. You've resorted to calling perennial football powers "non football" schools just to try and keep your argument going.

All of 1A and over 100 other schools in 2a, 3a, 4a have schedules ranked lower than FH's, and you still cling to this straw man argument.

I said 1 or 2 schools. In the DC metro region Potomac isn't considered a football power. Middletown is definitely a football school but they have struggled for two years in a row. That's basically what I was referring to. Stop the emotional "You hate Fort Hill" stuff. We just have differing opinions about high school football.

I've stated here before that I don't buy into the 1A classification theory. From my experience, it's teams that are dedicated to football and teams that are not dedicated to football. It's seems like a convenient excuse when you lose. "Oh we lost because we're a little 1A school playing a 3A school." For example from the SOS list, Northwestern-PG is a 4A school that draws heavily from a Hispanic area. They produce good soccer squads but not good football teams. Like FH hasn't produced good b-ball teams recently. The coaches and kids work hard but there isn't the same level of dedication as in football.

I didn't take it as a shot. Just thought your logic didn't make sense. You made reference that "no wonder FH has trouble finding games" relating this in some way that getting someone like Douglass to come here twice was part of the problem. There is no other way to do it with PG County. Those schools, nor any school that is 2+ hours away, wants to or is even allowed to drive to Cumberland when there are plenty of schools to play in their own back yard. It's a simple business/financial decision, not something FH did wrong. Again, you are trying to use schedule logic that makes no sense as to why FH has difficulty digging 2+ hours away to find opponents and wonder why they cannot get home-and-home series with those teams. It would be very refreshing to find a home-and-home series with those schools believe me.

In fact, to desperately fill the FH 9th game for 2016 we have sent out requests where FH will now pay for a team to travel to Cumberland and then return the game in 2017 on their own dime. And yet still the teams from near DC and Baltimore have balked. Yet you again reference this "smart scheduling" as if there are plenty of choices. I just don't see how folks like yourself cannot accept the fact that FH is still a 1A school who is already playing the toughest schedule in all of 1A if not most of 2A as well. The fact anyone would demand more is plain silly. I'll take it as a compliment to where FH football stands :)

I said "smart scheduling" because you have previously stated the overall goal is to win the title. I said on here a couple weeks ago that Douglass-PG over scheduled in the 2015 regular season and it probably cost them a state championship. FH's schedule should get them home field throughout the playoffs and a 4th title, that's a great accomplishment. I'm not demanding more, but my observation is that Silver Oak, Brunswick, Capitol Christian, SH, MR aren't great competition I don't care what metric you come up with. Also, the SOS is flawed because FH schedule was rated higher than Northwestern-PG, but they played Roosevelt, Wise, Suitland and DuVal - four teams better than any school on FH's schedule last year. This is my opinion, I have no problem with other people not agreeing with me. The only reason I commented was that someone made reference to me in this thread.

Yea, Douglass last year is a perfect example of what not to do when scheduling. This bone head system screwed Douglass royally. They should have been rewarded to some degree for playing that schedule instead of punished.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
It's just a bad system. Period. Play the best team in the country on the road, lose by 1 in overtime, get nothing. Stay home and beat the hell out of a little sister and get points.

Fyi, FH did play Duval last year. Though it was only a scrimmage, if I remember correctly FH 1's and Duval's 1's played even up. FH's 2's and 3's played probably 65% percent of scrimmage against Duval's 1's. Duval scored several times on Red's 2's and 3's. Wasn't til very end of scrimmage that Duval started subbing, please correct me if I'm wrong. Will say that team was stacked!

Fyi, FH did play Duval last year. Though it was only a scrimmage, if I remember correctly FH 1's and Duval's 1's played even up. FH's 2's and 3's played probably 65% percent of scrimmage against Duval's 1's. Duval scored several times on Red's 2's and 3's. Wasn't til very end of scrimmage that Duval started subbing, please correct me if I'm wrong. Will say that team was stacked!

I was at the scrimmage. Fort Hill scored a TD on their first possession and then DuVal scored 4 TD's in a row - FH didn't score again. I was on the DuVal sidelines and their coaches changed their defense after the first series when they realized FH wasn't going to threaten with a passing attack. I can't say with any degree of certainty who their starters or subs were, but DuVal didn't bring their entire team because the scrimmage was held at E Roosevelt not at DuVal.

I have a tape of that scrimmage. Fort Hill pulled their starters after the first series on both sides of the ball and mixed and matched the rest of the way. Duval played basically around 17 kids the whole game, including their feature back, he went both ways. Todd doesn't try to win these scrimmages. He tries to find out who can play and where. I don't know anything about Duval other than what I see in front of me but I don't think that they would even be a match for FH in a game setting. There are at least four teams on Fort Hill's schedule that are better than them.

For Duval, it looks and sounds like they go after these scrimmages to win them. If that's what the coaches want, good for them, but if they think they can actually beat Fort Hill at game time, well FH still has an open date.

I have a tape of that scrimmage. Fort Hill pulled their starters after the first series on both sides of the ball and mixed and matched the rest of the way. Duval played basically around 17 kids the whole game, including their feature back, he went both ways. Todd doesn't try to win these scrimmages. He tries to find out who can play and where. I don't know anything about Duval other than what I see in front of me but I don't think that they would even be a match for FH in a game setting. There are at least four teams on Fort Hill's schedule that are better than them.

For Duval, it looks and sounds like they go after these scrimmages to win them. If that's what the coaches want, good for them, but if they think they can actually beat Fort Hill at game time, well FH still has an open date.

Believe me, if FH played ever played a serious PG team (Roosevelt, Wise, Suitland, Bowie, DuVal) it would be a wake up call for you. Check the D1 players they produce every year. You guys should really focus on beating Keyser :)

Believe me, if FH played ever played a serious PG team (Roosevelt, Wise, Suitland, Bowie, DuVal) it would be a wake up call for you. Check the D1 players they produce every year. You guys should really focus on beating Keyser :)

"Serious PG team" - Translation = One that would actually beat Fort Hill. As opposed to others in the past, Douglass-PG, Forestville, who apparently weren't "serious".

OMG, this has been the same for years, just because you have great athletes and kids going to college or playing in the NFL doesn't mean you will be any good as a Team, Coaching plays a part as well, if the payers have talent but are not disciplined and the coaches are dumber than a box of rocks HARD WORK & COACHING BEATS TALENT!!!

When any of those schools wins 3 titles in a row come back here and talk about it. But don't hold your breath. FH has more state titles since 2013 than any of those schools have in their entire existance.

Boyz picks all the big 4A schools to compare. Roosevelt and Wise have over 2500 students. Hahahaha. They almost have more kids in their senior class than FH has in the whole school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT