ADVERTISEMENT

Williamsport talking smack in Herald Mail newspaper

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
Article in the Hagerstown Herald Mail ,Williamsport looks to scale Fort Hill
https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/spo...cle_bfa101c2-075b-11ea-84f3-b72aa6dde423.html

“We have weapons,” Startzman said. “Through the receivers, the running backs, the quarterback, we have weapons everywhere. Fort Hill is gonna need five, six good cornerbacks. They can’t handle us one-on-one.”

“We know Fort Hill’s past. It’s amazing. They’re this. They’re that,” Startzman said. “But they’re not what they used to be. We feel like with our team, we can go in there, put up a good fight and come out victorious.”

Interesting. Wonder if the FH kids read this. Time to get it on at Greenway!

They read it.

I don't think the article was so much smack talking per se, but more of a confidence thing, which I like to see from Williamsport. I believe they are truly confident they can win. And what's wrong with that?

On the same token, sometimes it is better to let sleeping dogs lay. I don't get the sense from the FH players that the last 6 weeks have offered much in terms of competition or should I say "something to get emotionally charged" about coming down the steps. Those kids have eyes and ears, they hear what we all do in regards to competition and blowing teams out. Football is such a game of emotion where wanting to physically beat somebody is in the best interest of winning. Sorry to keep using cliches but I have yet to see a killer mentality from the red & white. Does it exist with this group? I don't know, have to wait and see what the better competition brings. But I would say the kids were just put on notice.

Dont really see any smack in any of this. I guess when you dig that deep for the slightest insult, you're going to find it somehow.

Reactions: towpath94
Dont really see any smack in any of this. I guess when you dig that deep for the slightest insult, you're going to find it somehow.
There was a bit of an insult in that "Their not what they once were" statement. Nothing egregious, but still shouldnt be putting stuff like that out in public for the other team

I dont think they meant it disrespectful......they are confident and excited to be in this position.....first for them and for the school.

Its 16-18 year old kids and it's just a game.

There was a bit of an insult in that "Their not what they once were" statement. Nothing egregious, but still shouldnt be putting stuff like that out in public for the other team
I agree with the last part. Dont give the other team something they might use as ammunition, even if you dont think inflammatory.

Last edited:
Quite the opposite, I looked at this article as pretty complimentary towards Fort Hill. I think it's correct to say if Fort Hill plays tight man defense they're going to get burned by the pass as they have in other games. Also the comment of "they aren't what they once were," is predicated my a comment about losing a bunch of defensive starters.

I've watched almost every game this year, and I kind of agree they weren't what they once were in looking at the past six years. The defense is Young and they don't have the coordinator who has put in fantastic defenses over the last six years of the title runs.

Much Ado about nothing for a pretty straightforward article from a Washington county newspaper pumping up a Washington county School.

But if it does spark some fire in the FH defense, then maybe it is a good thing. I'm looking forward to this game.

Williamsport’s line is huge compared to FH but all but one linemen from the films I saw is passive. The biggest linemen looks very passive and doesn’t like to hit or get hit. Some film I saw on him when he pulls it looks like he tries to avoid contact. FH’s line on both sides should dominate. The QB should have to get the ball out quick.

I thought the article was positive.

Last edited:
Since Williamsport has never played FH in the regular season or post season how can they say "... they’re not what they used to be." They have nothing to compare it to.
My guess they are comparing it to the last 6 years of playoff blowouts especially in the early rounds and then looking at last weeks game, maybe even the Allegany game...if you looked at FH the past couple weeks they aren't what they were in the same weeks the previous years...I'm only saying it sounds like that is what he is saying.

Reactions: FHHSAHS
Williamsport’s line is huge compared to FH but all but one linemen from the films I saw is passive. The biggest linemen looks very passive and doesn’t like to hit or get hit. Some film I saw on him when he pulls it looks like he tries to avoid contact. FH’s line on both sides should dominate. The QB should have to get the ball out quick.

I thought the article was positive.
Could this possibly help FH in the sense that last week FH's line just didn't look quick enough to get to the qb or if they did to get him down...maybe they can outquick a bigger line?

Another stop for the Sentinels. Stubbs gets the TD on the 75 yd punt return. 21-7 FH

Article in the Hagerstown Herald Mail ,Williamsport looks to scale Fort Hill
https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/sports/williamsport-looks-to-scale-fort-hill-to-continue-playoff-climb/article_bfa101c2-075b-11ea-84f3-b72aa6dde423.htm
“We have weapons,” Startzman said. “Through the receivers, the running backs, the quarterback, we have weapons everywhere. Fort Hill is gonna need five, six good cornerbacks. They can’t handle us one-on-one.”

“We know Fort Hill’s past. It’s amazing. They’re this. They’re that,” Startzman said. “But they’re not what they used to be. We feel like with our team, we can go in there, put up a good fight and come out victorious.”

Interesting. Wonder if the FH kids read this. Time to get it on at Greenway!
When teams talk like this I hope FH puts a running clock on them..

Yeah... 28-7 now... all passing for Williamsport now until they make a dent in the Sentinel lead, I’d bet.

Another big loss on a recovered fumble for Williamsport. Now 4th -17 on the Sentinel 41. Then a movement penalty. 4th -22.

36-7 FH. King with a 2-pt conversion. Sentinels get the ball in the second half as well. May have a running clock after all in the third, for a while, at least.

The coach from Williamsport was very complimentary of fort hill and said that he hopes everyone would not take what a 15 or 16 year old player would say as talking smack. His players were very confident and excited to play.

36-15 after Wagner scores on a 15 yd run and a Snow 2pt run.

Wish I could see this Wagner kid live. Sounds pretty beast

The coach from Williamsport was very complimentary of fort hill and said that he hopes everyone would not take what a 15 or 16 year old player would say as talking smack. His players were very confident and excited to play.

I don't think this part sounded too complimentary.

Reactions: camper21502
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT