ADVERTISEMENT

Time to fold up the teepee

Allegany finishes 2-7 SMH
Just drop football so they can Consolidate the Schools already, it should of been done 10 years ago.

Well, no one will be perfect on their picks this week
Keyser had this week off to prepare for Allegany.... Could be really ugly next week.
Everyone expects a blowout next week but not this week.. This is beyond embarrassing.. Did Hansel even prepare for this team???

Everyone expects a blowout next week but not this week.. This is beyond embarrassing.. Did Hansel even prepare for this team???
I've asked this question before...is this program really better off with Hansel than the Korn...seriously?
Lag you thought he was the right guy for the job where do you think things went wrong?

Last edited:
The announcers on wcbc sounded like silver oak was Clemson. They kept talking about all the speed and athleticism that silver oak has

Game over SOA 54-28.

WCBC post game coming up next sponsored by Allegany Help & Nursing Rehab. Seriously.

There were some pretty rough times at BW for a while in the late 90s, early 2000s, but this might be the worst team in the history of Cumberland football.

There was at least one person who saw this coming. Bakedbean6 what information did you have!? Lol

I've asked this question before...is this program really better off with Hansel than the Korn...seriously?
Lag you thought he was the right guy for the job where do you think things went wrong?

It started when they lost Homecoming last year the way they did. All told, as it has been posted, they lost 6 starters who simply left the team. They also lost their outside speed to grades. Then, they lost the best running back in the city and two other starters to injuries. This was a team that started the year with no depth - look at 'em now. At the beginning of the year I posted that they might only beat Northern. After Welsh went down, I posted that their football program is finished.

Is all this the coach's fault? He comes in new and puts together a super prepared team for the first game of the year and beats Dunbar. When Hansel had the talent he mainly wins. So, are the 6 kids who left the team Hansel's fault or the fact that they don't want to lose to FH anymore. I don't know. I am not a mind-reader. Surely, nobody can blame the injuries on Hansel.

If somebody thinks that bringing in a new coach hoping that what is a JV team will start winning on varsity... well, go ahead. Social media isn't banning opinions in this forum... yet.

Right now the young men who are playing for Alco are getting a huge character building experience. One might even say it's worth more in the long run than riding the bench at FH. I am sure that opinion is probably held by a committee of one.

Last edited:
The only kid that did not show up come August was Wingate. The entire team played against Lackey other than Powell. Some people here kept saying in the off season that Alco was going to be a great surprise this year. I felt they would be better than last year but even if at full health I did not see this team being 1A West world beaters in the least. Now throw in 2 quitters and a handful of injuries, especially with Welch, and the nightmare unfolds. But based on the Lackey results when they really had nearly a full team, you could see this defense was a massive and major handicap. Go back and read what cumbfanatic was trying to say about the Alco defense that first game and in particular their secondary - SOA threw for 460 yards tonight.

Last edited:
Silver oak did not put drives together they scored with drives of 2,3 and 4 big plays. Allegany secondary is not put in position to make plays and it was obvious.

I just had a feeling that if silver oak showed up and didn’t forfeit then they would win.....alco is horrible and everyone was saying it’s cuz of injuries.....newsflash they were losing before these injuries

Here's the post I was referring to.

camper21502Blue Chip Poster

"Allegany just needs to fold their program and consolidate.."

Even when Alco football is at its worst they are still a top 20 1A school every yr. so why would they ever fold? Even with a small roster, most yrs they are a top 10 team in 1A...

34 Sep 7, 2019

Boyz and Gene sneaky liked the post to.. Newsflash... If you're the 20th team in MD 1a that's not an accomplishment. If that's the standard to be considered viable then the bar has been set pretty low... Allegany's program is a trainwreck it has been for sometime. Shame you 3 can't see it... Getting blown off the field by Silver Oak pretty much tells you Allegany is at their worst.. Would you like to rethink your statement???

Allegany was decent last year. They had Shirey, Swinton, Bauer, Wingate, Preskorn, Welch, Powell, a decent line. They weren’t deep but who is other than FH? They weren’t going to be as good this year. With the injuries and kids that left the team they had no shot. But last year was supposed to be the team. Go read the board from last August. There were several that had them doing big things. They were only losing to Dunbar 14-6 at the half.

A brief note on consolidation. Because Allegany is new, built with state money, it cannot be consolidated for at least 7 years from opening. The football teepee may fold, but there will be three county high schools for at least seven years. Despite widespread belief, keeping the football rivalry really was not why a new Alco was built. Dr. Cox and the BOE at that time were not big athletic boosters - so keeping both programs was not a priority from the point of view of athletics.

Allegany was decent last year. They had Shirey, Swinton, Bauer, Wingate, Preskorn, Welch, Powell, a decent line. They weren’t deep but who is other than FH? They weren’t going to be as good this year. With the injuries and kids that left the team they had no shot. But last year was supposed to be the team. Go read the board from last August. There were several that had them doing big things. They were only losing to Dunbar 14-6 at the half.

Nice comments. Not sure who posted it but I read sometime recently in this forum that from the talented sophomore class 4 had left the team before the start of this year. Add two starters who quit, plus the grades issue player and you have a disaster with the injuries. Allegany has lost virtually all of the talent it should have had this year.

I saw the vids of Alco's last home games. Allegany's pass defense against any team is like FH's against CP.

"...you lose a corner with injury and the best safety has to move to LB due to injury and coaches are left trying to plug in sophomores that have never played a varsity game." - Helmick

In fact, Allegany doesn't resemble any Camper team I ever saw in size or speed. God bless 'em for playing.

In this forum it's the same old horseshit, regardless. "Alco has the same talent.... It's the coaching. It's the program at the youth level."

I don't expect anybody to give it a rest. Actually, it doesn't matter. But I am sure if the schools consolidate that the only difference would be that FH will, once again, have to compete at a higher level and all the benefits and walkovers from being in 1A will disappear.

Last edited:
A number of unfortunate factors have taken place or played out this football season for Alco. It's ok to be disappointed, frustrated, or both. But calls for school consolidation based off football or folding up the tee pee is foolish. What happened to perseverance? There's absolutely nothing good to hang on to here? There will never be an opportunity to change course? I call Oscar Meyer! I know, I know, in some minds Alco hasn't played to their potential in years, or all the good players go to FH, or whatever, but those opinions are shortsighted and mostly wrong. Then folks want to diminish the accomplishments of kids by saying things like 1A gimmes, 1A walkovers...really? Again, why attempt to minimize what local kids have achieved?
Other teams that have a history of success are also going through tough times....Moorefield and Southern come to mind. Do their fans believe they should fold? I hope not.
Tough times require the greatest support. Be supportive. Don't let a fire spread and burn down the neighborhood.

Btw, I know I'm wrong, I'm uneducated, I must've never played football, I clearly never coached, and in general, I don't know what I'm talking about---so don't waste your time.

A brief note on consolidation. Because Allegany is new, built with state money, it cannot be consolidated for at least 7 years from opening. The football teepee may fold, but there will be three county high schools for at least seven years. Despite widespread belief, keeping the football rivalry really was not why a new Alco was built. Dr. Cox and the BOE at that time were not big athletic boosters - so keeping both programs was not a priority from the point of view of athletics.

Does that rule only mean the school can't be *closed* as a result of consolidation? If...and TBH, I don't foresee consolidation happening in 10 years regardless...but, if they were to consolidate and just use the new Alco as a middle school, it's still being used is that still doable?

Having said that, neither City high school can accomodate the numbers of combining both schools. Yeah yeah FH had 2000 kids back in the 50s, but it cannot accommodate that now. Renovations and changes have eliminated a lot of space they used to have. Between the two City high schools currently we have about 1200 kids. You will not even hear a whisper of consolidation until that combined number is less than 1000. And that's not happening anytime soon. So y'all can keep talking about consolidation, I know it's a hot button item, but regardless of sports, it's not feasible nor possible for at least a decade. But definitely not in regards to football. Consolidation is about capacity and money, athletics rightfully so, play no part in it.

Apparen
Does that rule only mean the school can't be *closed* as a result of consolidation? If...and TBH, I don't foresee consolidation happening in 10 years regardless...but, if they were to consolidate and just use the new Alco as a middle school, it's still being used is that still doable?

Having said that, neither City high school can accomodate the numbers of combining both schools. Yeah yeah FH had 2000 kids back in the 50s, but it cannot accommodate that now. Renovations and changes have eliminated a lot of space they used to have. Between the two City high schools currently we have about 1200 kids. You will not even hear a whisper of consolidation until that combined number is less than 1000. And that's not happening anytime soon. So y'all can keep talking about consolidation, I know it's a hot button item, but regardless of sports, it's not feasible nor possible for at least a decade. But definitely not in regards to football. Consolidation is about capacity and money, athletics rightfully so, play no part in it.

Apparently it must remain a functioning high school for that period and serve the original geographic area it was funded for. After the 7 year period it can be closed, consolidated or re-purposed as a middle school. Fort Hill could handle both populations with an addition - possibly building out into the parking lot. Given the decline in numbers NOW (not predicting the future) there would probably not be any need to take any land. The old hospital site nearby could handle parking, and the middle school could be annexed in to provide the athletic fields. Under current rules, the state would not pay anything, or very little for any additions to any school, but that might become negotiable. One of the arguments against consolidation originally was more money from the state would be available to build. That may not have been what carried the day, but it was a factor.

Apparen

Apparently it must remain a functioning high school for that period and serve the original geographic area it was funded for. After the 7 year period it can be closed, consolidated or re-purposed as a middle school. Fort Hill could handle both populations with an addition - possibly building out into the parking lot. Given the decline in numbers NOW (not predicting the future) there would probably not be any need to take any land. The old hospital site nearby could handle parking, and the middle school could be annexed in to provide the athletic fields. Under current rules, the state would not pay anything, or very little for any additions to any school, but that might become negotiable. One of the arguments against consolidation originally was more money from the state would be available to build. That may not have been what carried the day, but it was a factor.

A number of unfortunate factors have taken place or played out this football season for Alco. It's ok to be disappointed, frustrated, or both. But calls for school consolidation based off football or folding up the tee pee is foolish. What happened to perseverance? There's absolutely nothing good to hang on to here? There will never be an opportunity to change course? I call Oscar Meyer! I know, I know, in some minds Alco hasn't played to their potential in years, or all the good players go to FH, or whatever, but those opinions are shortsighted and mostly wrong. Then folks want to diminish the accomplishments of kids by saying things like 1A gimmes, 1A walkovers...really? Again, why attempt to minimize what local kids have achieved?
Other teams that have a history of success are also going through tough times....Moorefield and Southern come to mind. Do their fans believe they should fold? I hope not.
Tough times require the greatest support. Be supportive. Don't let a fire spread and burn down the neighborhood.

Btw, I know I'm wrong, I'm uneducated, I must've never played football, I clearly never coached, and in general, I don't know what I'm talking about---so don't waste your time.

I Couldn’t agree more. I graduated in 1982. The dreaded Chaney years. There was also other coaches who I won’t mention that hurt the program. We were loaded. All of our lineman could benchpress over 300 pounds even our running back Joey Apple could. Cheney decimated the program. The joke around school was that we had better players that quit the program than were actually playing. No one wanted to play for him or be around him. Fort Hill Bounced back nicely with A coaching change. It’s time for Allegheny to toughen up.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
What has become a mental plague for Cumberland is that way too many of the older generation are so stuck in the past and only see Cumberland as what it was some 30, 40 or 50 years ago. They think that 700-800 kids in a high school is ridiculous. And part of that too is in a false belief driven from the fact we are in Maryland where big schools are the norm when you get towards the metro areas of Baltimore and DC. The truth however is that both Alco and FH would be Class 4A in Pennsylvania. They would be some of the biggest AA schools in WV. Those states adopt a smaller school philosophy. Alco and FH are looked at as bigger schools in PA. I know because I schedule games there.

Now I know I am using athletic classification as a measure stick, but it is an excellent measuring stick because it truly is based on student enrollments and not the strength of the athletic program.

I do find it EXTREMELY disappointing when adults try to diminish the success and accomplishments of our local student-athletes because they have this belief that being small is a joke. We are small in Maryland. Yes, 1A is and should be the least competitive. I really have no idea why that is not comprehensible to some other than just pure hate and again...the inability to accept that it is not 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Trust me, I went to FH and everyone in South End back in the 1980s looked at all the Alco state titles as being a joke, because smaller is considered weaker. It is weaker, but that should not diminish those accomplishments because that was the class they resided in. I would say the same thing for FH today.

What has become a mental plague for Cumberland is that way too many of the older generation are so stuck in the past and only see Cumberland as what it was some 30, 40 or 50 years ago. They think that 700-800 kids in a high school is ridiculous. And part of that too is in a false belief driven from the fact we are in Maryland where big schools are the norm when you get towards the metro areas of Baltimore and DC. The truth however is that both Alco and FH would be Class 4A in Pennsylvania. They would be some of the biggest AA schools in WV. Those states adopt a smaller school philosophy. Alco and FH are looked at as bigger schools in PA. I know because I schedule games there.

FH and Allegany would be 4A schools in Florida and Texas too. A lot more smaller schools with football in the bigger states though. Plus private schools play with the public schools and most of them are on the smaller side.

FH and Allegany would be 4A schools in Florida and Texas too. A lot more smaller schools with football in the bigger states though. Plus private schools play with the public schools and most of them are on the smaller side.

Private school enrollment is irrelevant. If you have 50 kids grades 9-12, what difference does that make if 40 of them have been recruited there to play football? St. Frances - the No. 1 ranked team in the country - has 200 kids in the school. LOL.

Private school enrollment is irrelevant. If you have 50 kids grades 9-12, what difference does that make if 40 of them have been recruited there to play football? St. Frances - the No. 1 ranked team in the country - has 200 kids in the school. LOL.

I wasn't saying that it mattered from a quality of football standpoint, I was saying in those states public and private schools play together and private schools tend to mostly be smaller than public schools. Having a bunch of small football playing private schools is naturally going to push the public schools with larger enrollments up into bigger classifications.

I coached at private school in Florida with less than 200 in the HS and we were 2A in football and 3A in most other sports. Our 1A public schools in MD are really big when compared to the "small school" classification in almost any other state.

Anytime you win a championship it’s special. It’s only easy to be the best if you actually are the best. To accomplish what Fort Hill has over The last few years is amazing. Each year you get a whole new group of kids. Since were on the subject I am amazed that people don’t understand that it’s the program and the coaches that are responsible. These kids are not recruited or have special talents they played together as a team.

Apparen

Now I know I am using athletic classification as a measure stick, but it is an excellent measuring stick because it truly is based on student enrollments and not the strength of the athletic program.

I do find it EXTREMELY disappointing when adults try to diminish the success and accomplishments of our local student-athletes because they have this belief that being small is a joke. We are small in Maryland. Yes, 1A is and should be the least competitive. I really have no idea why that is not comprehensible to some other than just pure hate and again...the inability to accept that it is not 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Trust me, I went to FH and everyone in South End back in the 1980s looked at all the Alco state titles as being a joke, because smaller is considered weaker. It is weaker, but that should not diminish those accomplishments because that was the class they resided in. I would say the same thing for FH today.
Maryland is the fifth most densely populated state in the country. A lot of people compared to its size. You can have just one or two schools serve a lot of people even in western Maryland. The amount of kids in HS in Allegany County, might need 4 or 5 counties worth of kids in west texas to reach the same number. Big and empty, but those kids still have to go to school and it's not like you can make them travel 150 miles to get there.

I had to scroll back up and double check the topic of this thread. Once again a thread has basically been hijacked to FH is a small school and folks are trying to diminish their success. Well, that and again, FH had bad years too and it was all the coaches... so Allegany has same talent, just a shit program.

No wonder Appel believes what he believes, considering his base of support.

I had to scroll back up and double check the topic of this thread. Once again a thread has basically been hijacked to FH is a small school and folks are trying to diminish their success. Well, that and again, FH had bad years too and it was all the coaches... so Allegany has same talent, just a shit program.

Funny....you were the first one to bring up FH in this thread. 9:19 am post today. Guess you are the one that started the "highjacking." LoL.

Reactions: Waggle Pass

Please go back to the top of this thread and scroll down to make sure I'm not crazy or talking smack. But the first post here that talks about or refers to FH was Lag's first post. Then his 2nd post did the same. Are you really pointing the finger? Wow.

You refer to FH titles in every thread and that is not an opinion. Scroll up and read.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT