ADVERTISEMENT

The Allegany vs. Capitol Christian game has been cancelled

As an outsider, I can't wait for the day that Fort Hill and Allegany load their schedule up and everyone throws a big party about finally getting some quality competition. Then at the end of the regular season, both teams are 7-3 and sitting at home watching the great playoff battles between Southern-Hancock and Northern-Clear Spring. What will people say then? Well we didnt make the playoffs but we played one heck of a regular season schedule? We will definitely get, "that schedule was too tough, what were you thinking?" From my point of view, its a lose-lose.

The goal of any public school team is to win a State Championship in your classification. It's not to play the toughest schedule so you can beat your chest or to make your fans happy. The fact is, our playoff system does not reward teams for playing tough schedules, it rewards you for playing games you can win. And until the State changes that, suck it up and enjoy your 1A 3-peat...because well...that is the ultimate goal of high school sports!

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Using the idea of a Clear Spring or Hancock going 9-1 or 10-0 and knocking someone out of the playoffs as an excuse is laughable. Clear Spring's best record over the last 10 years and probably longer is 6-4 and they have never qualified for the playoffs. Hancock has had 4 total playoff appearances and the one year where they may have had their best team in a long while went 9-1 against their weak schedule and made the playoffs they still had to travel to a 7-3 opponent. So it's hard to use that "fear" as an excuse.

Reactions: bigsavage
Lancer, I hear ya..and I used to subscribe to that same thinking very recently. I'm not saying (nor is bigsavage or anyone else) that the schedule needs to be loaded up with teams that will kill them. But a few better teams, and a couple losses are not going to hurt FH in the 1A west. As Walt said, the Hancock and Clear Spring argument isn't really as accurate to the fear that is used to support it.

The only team FH needs to worry about in 1A west is Allegany. Like I said in order to win a title in 1A for FH they need to a) beat Alco - once or twice and b) be a top 1 or 2 team in 1A. I don't know that in any year since FH has been 1A there has ever been a scenario where Hancock or Clear Spring has been a factor in how FH fairs in the playoffs. Even in 2005, FH's first year in 1A, they got in to the regionals with a 6-4 record- losing to TWO 1A west foes during the regular season.

Fort Hill can lose at least 2 games every year and still be fine for the playoffs. They will still always have to a) get past Alco to move on to win a title and b) be the top 1 or 2 team in 1A. A and B will never change. Regardless if there is a schedule full of CCA's or 2 or 3 Martinsburg caliber teams...if FH can accomplish A and B...then the regular season record is nearly meaningless. There is NO justification to say that playing a team that would most years be considered favored to beat them is detrimental to Fort Hill. None.

I've never really said I am "fine" with the schedule...I've just usually gone on the defensive to those who say it sucks. But dammit, I really am having a hard time mustering up the energy to do so anymore...the schedule fncking sucks. Yes, FH is very good this year...but even a mediocre FH is going to go 9-1 or 8-2 at WORST with this exact same schedule. Allegany being the more likely loss if FH was just average. Because an average FH team is still a pretty damn good team. And would STILL be 6-0 at this point in the year.

Coaches need to get past this weird obsession with going 10-0 every year and realize that you can up your competition and still kick everyone's ass in your own classification. Give the kids a challenge. They already understand teamwork, they already understand fundamentals, they already have the drive...so challenge them.

I used to be solidly on that "just win baby" bandwagon, but consider me standing on the siderail about ready to hop off. Fort Hill (as in, whomever finalizes the schedule - not TDHelmick) needs to take some ownership in this issue. Drop CCA and pick up Good Counsel. Who cares. You'll get your butt kicked by a really good team...or you'll shock the world. Either way, you're still going to be the favorite to win the 1A title 99% of the time.

Couldn't have said this better.. Glad you're finally coming around..

It's laughable until it happens. I have heard complaints on here about other teams in the west watering down their schedule to make the playoffs. If these teams hear that Allegany and Fort Hill are putting 2 or 3 tougher opponents on their schedule, then you will really see watered down.

I feel like a lot of the posters on here feel like winning a 1A State Championship isnt an accomplishment. All we hear is big deal, 1A sucks and is watered down, lets play some tough competition in the regular season. To me it diminishes the accomplishments of the team and program. I dont care if it's 1A or 4A, it is an incredible accomplishment to win a State Championship and I feel like the folks of Cumberland get too caught up in scheduling to appreciate how special and how gratifying it is for these kids to win a State Title. There are teams everywhere that wish they were in the position you guys are. Don't take it for granted.

Winning 1A, regardless of the opinion of how strong or weak it is, is definitely an accomplishment. I don't think otherwise. Even if the other teams aren't all that strong, you still have to get through 14 games, with minimal injuries. It's a long arduous season.

I just think there is a happy medium out there. Players can get hurt just as easily against a CCA or Fairmont Heights team as they would against Martinsburg. Possibly even slightly more likely against the former, as those teams may be less apt to tackle with correct form and consistency. We saw it at the Fairmont game when a player was ejected for losing his cool. You just never know. So that can;t really be an argument, as some people use for scheduling down.

The Hancock-Clear Spring Conundrum, as it shall henceforth be called by me, is not really accurate.

And to boot, when playing games like these first 6 - your first team has not even had to play a whole game or really be challenged. In fact, I would argue that the loss to Keyser last year went much further to getting Fort Hill prepared for the playoffs than having homefield advantage or any other factor.

I don't think I'm being Pollyanna-ish to think that there would be more to gain from playing a tough game or TWO (not 5 or 6) than sweeping through a schedule that just fills space. Unless the schedule is ridiculously tough, a 6-4 Fort Hill is probably not going to win a state title anyway, and probably would not get past Alco regardless.

Eventually, there will be teams in 1A outside of the west who will come along and stick their beak in the potatoes. When that happens, a schedule of 60-0 wins is not going to be adequate. JMHO.

I just hope that if the Hancock-Clear Spring conundrum were ever to come to fruition, people remember this conversation.

Trust me, from a fan standpoint I understand, but I also understand from a coach/AD position as well. I have heard rumor that Linganore will play Kennedy next year. That matchup isn't appealing to me at all, but it's a near sure win against a 4A opponent so I get wanting the points. Would I rather see Linganore play Fort Hill, you bet your a** I would, but is it really worth the risk, especially for Linganore? It's no secret that I hate our playoff system and I feel like until something changes (which I doubt it ever will), these are the matchups we are stuck with.

I guess the sky could fall in too. Has it happend? nope... Likelihood of it happening? Not good... That said, I guess Hancock "could" get in over FH.. Has it ever happend? No.. Likelihood of it happening? We probably have a better chance of hitting the Powerball... Most likely a 6-4 FH team out points a 8-2 Hancock team.. We saw last year where an 8-1 FH out pointed a 10-0 Boonsboro.. So it can work both ways... But for the stars to align at the most opportune time in order for Hancock to make the playoffs over FH is slim to none...

Once more no one is advocating loading the schedule...

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Is there really a rash of teams significantly watering down their schedules to make the playoffs? I'm not saying there isn't but looking at these schedules it isn't that glaring to me. Northern is undefeated to this point but they're playing roughly the same schedule they got to 6-4 with last year. Boonsboro is doing the same thing and there isn't a ton of difference between their schedules the last couple of years and times previous where they were putting up a string of average to subpar records(as with Northern).It just looks like they got a little more talent combined with down years from their opponents as opposed to something more nefarious. As for the other teams how watered down is your schedule really when you can't win against it.

Hypothetically, if Fort Hill and/or Allegany moved up to 2A and were in the 2A West, would you feel the same way about the schedule? With both teams current schedules, using Neutral's projections, both Fort Hill and Allegany would make the 2A West playoffs, as the 1 and 4 seed respectively. In this scenario, a tougher schedule with 1 or 2 losses could keep you out of the playoffs. Would you still want a tougher schedule?

Hypothetically, if Fort Hill and/or Allegany moved up to 2A and were in the 2A West, would you feel the same way about the schedule? With both teams current schedules, using Neutral's projections, both Fort Hill and Allegany would make the 2A West playoffs, as the 1 and 4 seed respectively. In this scenario, a tougher schedule with 1 or 2 losses could keep you out of the playoffs. Would you still want a tougher schedule?

This would be an entirely different scenario because they would be looking at a much more difficult path in the playoffs. You couldn't blame Alco for scheduling regular season cupcakes because they would be looking at a tough team in basically every round in the 2A playoffs.

I thought about that scenario and there are a couple of things that stop me from considering it an apples to apples comparison (including the difference between seasons;long term 2-3 losses might not hurt too badly). One is the some of the reasoning for the current schedule,one of those reasons being school size (since we're now a 1A school we can't or shouldn't schedule like we did as a 3A or 2A as your scenario would place them). So are you ok scheduling "like a 1A school" as a 2A school? If you say you're ok with that (and implicitly revealing your previous size based protests worthless) are you then ok with using a watered down schedule to get into the playoffs over teams with tougher schedules after you've protested other teams doing the same (even though I have some skepticism in regards to that claim) and used it to help justify the current schedule? If you're good with that and would be ok with a response in kind and would accept the derision from those programs and their supporters, why make the arguments you have in defense of your schedule in the 1A West and in the process make claims on the schedules of teams in your current region?

I've heard that some states allow schools to "throw out" one game when they calculate the playoff standings. For example, if you have a 10 game schedule, only 9 games would be factored into the playoff points. That would allow schools to schedule at least one really tough game without worrying about how a loss would affect you at the end of the season.

This would be an entirely different scenario because they would be looking at a much more difficult path in the playoffs. You couldn't blame Alco for scheduling regular season cupcakes because they would be looking at a tough team in basically every round in the 2A playoffs.

And that's my point. Why would it be ok for Fort Hill and Allegany to water down their schedule in 2A to make the playoffs but it's not ok in 1A? You are just assuming that the other schools (Hancock, Clear Spring, etc...) will never be able to put together a decent enough team to go 10-0 or 9-1. You cant assume that and if you are FH or Alco, why would you take the chance? Say Northern keeps their program going well and Brunswick rights the ship. Hancock and Clear Spring put something together (yes, I get it, probably not likely, but always a possibility). Then you have 6 teams fighting for 4 spots. You know what they say about assuming...... And yes, I understand I am also making assumptions but you get where I am going!

Last edited:
Boonsboro dropped 3A South Hagerstown High School after the MVAL disbanded and refuse to play them despite offers. I know for a fact that 3A South Hagerstown High School if the dates would align they would rather play Boonsboro than FH, and it's not because of travel. I have been told by an administrstor that it is likely that South Hagerstown will not renew with FH because they cannot afford this potential loss in the 3A West. So there you have it, just right down the road with two schools, one in 3A and one in 1A that have or are looking to soften their schedules to get into the playoffs. I hate the FH schedule but I have come to the conclusion, it is what it is.

Also, Northern dropped Keyser this year to avoid the loss and refuses to play FH.

As Lancer stated, right now in this point in time why would Linganore want to face FH as their region is a monster.

It's not just FH dogging and weaving, it's everyone. And the fear is not just Clearspring or Hancock, it is Smithsburg, too. They dropped South Hagerstown. I bet if Harve de Grace keeps making a run at the title Smithsburg will drop them as well. I talked with an old influential person from Smithsburg a few months back and he stated how he just laughs at FH and Alco's admonishments of the program for not muscling up and scheduling them. He said the gate money is not enough incentive to suffer the loss or risk the kids health when we could schedule Willliamsport and Clearspring and not have to travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: LHSlancerFAN

I gotta agree with Lancer and Walt on their responses to your above post. You are kind of arguing a different point than what you originally seemed to push. A weak schedule is a weak schedule regardless of what class it is in.

There is a median somewhere. Not to load up on powers, not to load up on cupcakes.

While I believe it's rare that a 7-3 Alco or FH team misses the playoffs, you cannot count on that fact 100%. And both Coach Appel and Coach Hansel are not going to roll the dice of making the playoffs even if the odds are 1 in 100. All that had to happen just this year, was for Smithsburg or Brunswick to step up and post 8 wins...now somebody is going to get royally screwed in the West Region. To say there is no chance of that happening would be ignorant. I get what Lancer is saying. Not saying I agree with it totally but I don't coach.

It's important to note that if I had my druthers and was in full control of the decision making, I would have dumped CCA and picked up Morgantown, Martinsburg or a Frederick County better school yes. But I don't see the need to go past that given the system, hence the word a happy median.

Hindsight is 20/20
It's easy to look back at 2016 already and see that the conditions were right for FH to load up. But there is not a guarantee in the winter when scheduling is done to know how good/bad Keyser, Hollidaysburg, South Hagerstown, Sherando and Allegany is going to be anymore than we know how good or bad Smithsburg, Northern and Clear Spring is going to be. Or if Hancock can post another 9-1 record versus Hundred, WV opponents. Luckily FH football is well established and will find it rare to post 7 win seasons. But losing to South Hagerstown, Sherando, Martinsburg, Keyser and Alco in the same season is very possible for a 1A school where just 2-3 serious injuries make that very possible. And then you have to watch coaches sweat having to win Homecoming just to make the playoffs against teams that have no business even being on the same field. Not every year, but some odd years. And again, those coaches are not going to roll that dice because the playoff system freaking sucks. I get it from both angles. But you see what I would do if it was my call. And it isn't my call.

I do agree with many of you on here about upgrading the schedule. Where I have a problem is comparing MIAA A League schools with MPSSAA 1A schools. Or comparing 4A powers to 1A schools. That is why the state media poll is stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: LHSlancerFAN
Fort Hill: Must Ever Year Play Allegany,Mountain Ridge & Keyser
Add Sherando,Martinsburg & Morgantown
and any 4 cupcakes and I'm loving it.

I wish that we would see more PA area Small schools sometimes like Chestnut Ridge,Central,Bedford,Meyersdale,Berlin or teams from Morgantown Fairmont area

Also...ALCO HAS BEEN GRANTED A FORFEIT WIN OVER CAPITOL CHRISTIAN.

That is the right decision by the MPSSAA. It is official now.
The MPSSAA was contemplating making it a "no contest". But they have ruled otherwise. This will help Alco in terms of a point total, although I didn't think it was going to make a huge difference. However it's important to note that with a 9 game schedule (had they ruled no contest), all of Alco's bonus points would then be worth .90 for each opponent's win instead of 1.00. If you consider thet fact that Alco, FH, Boonsboro and Northern could all have one loss at the end of the year, then those minute point totals could mean the difference between being at home or on the road in the first round.

Fort Hill can lose at least 2 games every year and still be fine for the playoffs. They will still always have to a) get past Alco to move on to win a title and b) be the top 1 or 2 team in 1A. A and B will never change. Regardless if there is a schedule full of CCA's or 2 or 3 Martinsburg caliber teams...if FH can accomplish A and B...then the regular season record is nearly meaningless. There is NO justification to say that playing a team that would most years be considered favored to beat them is detrimental to Fort Hill. None.

I've never really said I am "fine" with the schedule...I've just usually gone on the defensive to those who say it sucks. But dammit, I really am having a hard time mustering up the energy to do so anymore...the schedule fncking sucks. Yes, FH is very good this year...but even a mediocre FH is going to go 9-1 or 8-2 at WORST with this exact same schedule. Allegany being the more likely loss if FH was just average. Because an average FH team is still a pretty damn good team. And would STILL be 6-0 at this point in the year.

Coaches need to get past this weird obsession with going 10-0 every year and realize that you can up your competition and still kick everyone's ass in your own classification. Give the kids a challenge. They already understand teamwork, they already understand fundamentals, they already have the drive...so challenge them.

I used to be solidly on that "just win baby" bandwagon, but consider me standing on the siderail about ready to hop off. Fort Hill (as in, whomever finalizes the schedule - not TDHelmick) needs to take some ownership in this issue. Drop CCA and pick up Good Counsel. Who cares. You'll get your butt kicked by a really good team...or you'll shock the world. Either way, you're still going to be the favorite to win the 1A title 99% of the time.
Awsome post FHHAHS!!!!! Agree 100%

And that's my point. Why would it be ok for Fort Hill and Allegany to water down their schedule in 2A to make the playoffs but it's not ok in 1A? You are just assuming that the other schools (Hancock, Clear Spring, etc...) will never be able to put together a decent enough team to go 10-0 or 9-1. You cant assume that and if you are FH or Alco, why would you take the chance? Say Northern keeps their program going well and Brunswick rights the ship. Hancock and Clear Spring put something together (yes, I get it, probably not likely, but always a possibility). Then you have 6 teams fighting for 4 spots. You know what they say about assuming...... And yes, I understand I am also making assumptions but you get where I am going!

Why would it be OK to water down their regular season schedule in 2A? Because the playoff opponents are much better. Imagine a FH playoff game in 2A this year versus Walkersville, that would be a great game. Imagine a 2A final FH versus Patuxent, the best team in Western Maryland versus the best team in Southern Maryland, another epic match-up. This year we know FH is basically going to sleepwalk through the 1A playoffs to another title, lol. I couldn't blame either school for playing a soft regular season schedule if they knew they were facing three tough games in the playoffs. Several people have already explained it's almost impossible to miss the playoffs in 1A's current configuration, even with 1 or 2 losses.

Why would it be OK to water down their regular season schedule in 2A? Because the playoff opponents are much better. Imagine a FH playoff game in 2A this year versus Walkersville, that would be a great game. Imagine a 2A final FH versus Patuxent, the best team in Western Maryland versus the best team in Southern Maryland, another epic match-up. This year we know FH is basically going to sleepwalk through the 1A playoffs to another title, lol. I couldn't blame either school for playing a soft regular season schedule if they knew they were facing three tough games in the playoffs. Several people have already explained it's almost impossible to miss the playoffs in 1A's current configuration, even with 1 or 2 losses.

So what you are saying is that Fort Hill and Allegany are held to a different standard in 1A because they are good? Since Fort Hill and Allegany beat up on the rest of 1A, they should schedule "up" but everyone else in 1A should "schedule like a 1A" because they have no shot at winning the championship and are just aiming to get into the playoffs?

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
So what you are saying is that Fort Hill and Allegany are held to a different standard in 1A because they are good? Since Fort Hill and Allegany beat up on the rest of 1A, they should schedule "up" but everyone else in 1A should "schedule like a 1A" because they have no shot at winning the championship and are just aiming to get into the playoffs?

Well duh.. I don't mean to sound like a smart ass. But that pretty much goes without saying... Some schools are just not good at football.. And some are, no matter their size. Why anyone expects Hancock to have to play fort hill is beyond me... Did you see what FH did to the Brunswick kids? It was total carnage... Now times that by 5 if FH played Hancock... No one is saying load up the schedule which is the narrative people like to fall back on when someone questions a teams strength of schedule...all we're saying is if you're going to have 7 or 8 cup cakes put 2 or 3 challenging teams on there.. On the flip side someone tried to compare Mt. St. Joe scheduling silver oak... If a team has 8 or 9 challenging games a few cup cakes sprinkled in is advisable... 6-4 gets you into the 1a playoffs.. All we're saying is to find a middle ground... Not all cupcakes not all world beaters.. Some cupcakes and a world beater or 2 wouldn't hurt. And no I don't expect Hancock to schedule good teams when they can't even beat the crappy teams...

Last edited:

LHSlancerFAN, my comments are not for everyone on this board. It's a fact that FH and Alco are the two best 1A schools in the state, and they are playing and dominating the other schools in 1A. If you are a supporter satisfied with that, I have absolutely no problem with you. Winning 1A three years in a row is a great accomplishment. I'm a fan of both city schools.

But FH is ranked on various polls above schools like Sherwood, Old Mill, McNamara, Northwest, E. Roosevelt. These are schools that have to play other top schools in the state. They are in geographic leagues and have to play each other. In fact, these schools have to play 3 or 4 of the other top schools in the state EVERY season. If you believe FH is on this level, you should advocate for them to play one top Maryland school at least every other year. I'm not even saying every year, I'm saying every other year. FH hasn't played a top Maryland school in almost 10 years. I personally am not holding them to a different standard. But if you are a supporter and you believe you are on that elite level, you should want to be matched up against the best. Why are you even satisfied with Silver Oak and Capitol Christian? The story that the other schools won't play you is a myth. If you can figure out the logistics of Fairmont Heights and Walter Johnson, you can figure out the logistics of Seneca Valley, Tuscarora or Duval. Playing one tough contest every other year isn't going to keep you out of the playoffs.

I personally am not holding them to a different standard.

You most definitely and absolutely are. You are literally explaining HOW you are. lol

And I dont really have a bone to pick with that anymore. I've admitted I'd like to see FH play some different schools. No more CCA and Silver Oak. Sure.

But we just saw a very good game against a solid South High team, a 3A team...a good 3A team for Fort Hill. A team with a coach who openly admitted how good FH is. And we should see an equally good game this weekend against Sherando. The fact that they aren't a MD top 50 school or 25 or whatever number you're using this week is moot. If they are good games, they are good games.

The South game was a good freaking game.

Last edited:
We will agree to disagree!

However, I do believe that both schools have troubling scheduling. The quality, larger schools in tougher regions are not going to take the chance of playing either school and taking a loss. I would be willing to bet that South Hagerstown will no longer be on the Fort Hill schedule. That loss on Friday will more than likely keep them out of the playoffs. They will fill that spot with a larger, lesser opponent that they can get points out of. The larger schools in the west (Washington, Carroll, Montgomery...) that have a shot at the playoffs aren't going to risk it which leaves you with the Walter Johnson's and Frederick's. Other schools farther east than that just aren't going to travel. And if I was a 1A school, I wouldnt schedule a top tier private (like some have suggested) that can rotate their recruited kids in and out like its nothing. Not when 1 or 2 injuries can take down a 1A school's entire season.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
We will agree to disagree!

However, I do believe that both schools have troubling scheduling. The quality, larger schools in tougher regions are not going to take the chance of playing either school and taking a loss. I would be willing to bet that South Hagerstown will no longer be on the Fort Hill schedule. That loss on Friday will more than likely keep them out of the playoffs. They will fill that spot with a larger, lesser opponent that they can get points out of. The larger schools in the west (Washington, Carroll, Montgomery...) that have a shot at the playoffs aren't going to risk it which leaves you with the Walter Johnson's and Frederick's. Other schools farther east than that just aren't going to travel. And if I was a 1A school, I wouldnt schedule a top tier private (like some have suggested) that can rotate their recruited kids in and out like its nothing. Not when 1 or 2 injuries can take down a 1A school's entire season.

It's really good to get an outsider's perspective. Or should I state someone that doesn't have a poker in the Cumberland football fire. I have said these things many times but it sounds like some believe it's not true that other schools don't want to play FH. They don't. And they don't because local schools including Washington, Frederick and Berkeley County are looking for playoff points. South Hagerstown is no exception. Anything further away and they just don't want to travel when there are teams in their own backyard to play. And that makes total sense. If Martinsburg and Morgantown is the rare exception, yes that is true. Some better 3A and 4A schools closer by will play FH. I have said this a hundred times..."there are no 1A or 2A Maryland schools that will play FH." Maybe one on a rare year. Why any of this is hard to accept as truth is beyond me as if I would make it up. On the flip side, I also would agree that FH could probably work out the financial logistics for another PG County or Montgomery County 3A/4A power if they can work one out with Fairmont Heights where basically FH has to pay for it all. But that isn't my call because FH tries to work the playoff system as much as any other school. Holding FH to a different standard is exactly what happens. But I see that as a compliment.

I don't have a problem with Boyz, in fact I probably agree with him more than he realizes about some things. I think Boyz gets hung up on the state media poll thing and maybe some FH posters do as well. It's nice to get recognition in the media. But any logical semi-intelligent mind can deduce that polls are meaningless when teams don't play each other. I also believe that FH being ranked above some of those 3A and 4A powers is absurd. I see WVU ranked at #12 in the AP poll because they are undefeated having not played anything resembling a Top 25 team. While teams that lost to Alabama are lower. That's how most polls work at any level. And I can tell you that if FH loses to Sherando, they will drop behind Alco in a simple local poll if there was one. And on that note, beating Northern is worth more points than beating Sherando in this MPSSAA set up. And no offense to Northern but Sherando would crush the Huskies. They may crush FH.

If I gather Boyz correctly here...if a team has a tough road in the playoffs they should make the regular season schedule lighter? If a team has an easy road in the playoffs they should make the regular season tougher? Is that correct in what I'm reading? Just checking before commenting.

Last edited:
The Walter Johnson deal was a two year home-and-home with no money exchanged (what a concept). The WJ AD said that was the first time they left Montgomery County to play a game since the 90s. It's brutal to find an opening in Montgomery County as their schedules are filled with each other much like the PA leagues. Although I have heard scuttlebutt that may be changing in 2017 for some reason. Not sure. PG County on the other hand seems to have more open dates, but they require full payment to travel here and usually expect a return game for free...a gawd ugly deal for any team unless they are in dire scheduling straights...and FH was with locating a Week 6 game until Fairmont Heights popped open.

Just a few observations...

FH played MSJ in 2009 and 2010. In two close games, the teams split - FH won in 2009 22 - 12 and lost in 2010 10 - 7. FH also split with Martinsburg and Thomas Johnson those two years. Both years FH made it to the playoffs, and in 2010 with three losses FH made it to the state semi-final game as the Sentinels fell to Dunbar 20-14.

So...yes, FH has played much higher caliber teams in the last ten years than currently on the schedule. Of course, the talk then was MSJ had a few "down years." Good programs don't have "down years," so I don't buy that argument. How was FH to know? :)

Also, I would think that a "cupcake" to MSJ would be a team such as South Hagerstown or Sherando - not Capitol Christian or Silver Oak.

Everything is relative, including high school football schedules. :)

Ultimately, this whole argument comes down to the schedule being up to a certain level that i's arbitrarily set by different people. Most of us will agree that this year the first 6 game's were not competitive.

And while many people, myself included, thought the South game would be an easier task, it was almost inarguably, a very competitive game. Was it not?

Sherando could/should be competitive as well. Presumably Allegany will be as well, probably twice. It is a ood possibility that while the first 6 games were not competitive, at least 4 of the last 6 (including playoffs) SHOULD be. If they aren't so be it, we'll all go back to complaining...if they are, then we will see "2 or 3" decent regular season games. Which is not a bad result when you are one of the best teams in the class. How many competitive games does Alabama have a year? Ya know?

All things in moderation. A few tweaks and I think we would all shut up about the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT