ADVERTISEMENT

The Allegany vs. Capitol Christian game has been cancelled

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
The varsity football game set for this Thursday at 5:00 at Greenway Avenue Stadium between Allegany and Capitol Christian has been cancelled.

Capitol Christian has decided to forfeit the game (because they play again on Saturday). CCA knew this last February. Bad, bad, bad stuff.

Honestly this kind of stuff has to stop. Did Allegany know they played Saturday when they scheduled the game?

I can't see where any of this would be on Alco. CC has to own this and Alco should get credit for the win. The only bad thing is that Alco will lose the gate for the home game. Hope the Alco coach finds something positive for his week off. That's about the only thing that they could do.

Alco will get the forfeit win as if they played the game and won. So the point totals will not be altered against Alco in any way. And honestly Alco doesn't gain much of anything from a playoff stand point by picking up those points because CCA is a 1A school with 2 wins. This isn't about point totals or anything like that. It's about kids not getting to play a game and about another team being so disorganized that they cannot keep track of a simple football schedule. But again, not playing CCA does not affect Alco's playoff standing in the least.

I will post the full story once I talk with CCA again. In my eyes, they should not be sanctioned by the MPSSAA based on what I know now. And that means they can play no other MPSSAA member school in any sport. Starting now.

Why is anybody surprised by this? CCA is an unstable football program. Wasn't it last year they barely had 11 players. Alco is running around the state looking for easy opponents and they get a forfeit win. It's actually a good time for a bye week and it will not affect the playoff standing.

Reactions: bigsavage
Whether CCA loses their MPSSAA sanction or not, I really hope we dont see them on next year's schedule.

Teams like Silver Oak and Fairmont Heights may be considered "easy opponents" but at least they have their ish together, and they have sparks of good play. CCA is just a disorganized mess.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
They may have been looking for an easy win but I can grant that it's probably difficult to find opponents at week 7, especially if you insist on a home game. Throughout the state these are the teams playing out of league/county/state games this week: Washington (Somerset County), Colonel Richardson (Caroline County), Easton (Talbot County), C.M. Wright(Harford County), Liberty (Carroll County), Century (Carroll County), Central (PG County), Mervo (Baltimore City), Clear Spring, Southern Garrett and Hancock.

Taking into account that it's a mid cycle year (and assuming the CCA game was year to year and not a 2 year deal) the teams that had a one year opening at week 7 this year were Easton, Mervo, Central, Liberty,and Hancock. Taking Hancock off the list of possibilities there are 4 teams there in the state that had openings. Could they have gotten a game home (or away) against one of those teams if the contract with CCA was a year to year? Maybe, maybe not, but hopefully coming into a new cycle next year there is a focus on finding viable competitive (within reason) programs for two year contracts either home or away so there isn't yearly drama about teams showing up or not and kids can get a 10 game regular season.

They may have been looking for an easy win but I can grant that it's probably difficult to find opponents at week 7, especially if you insist on a home game. Throughout the state these are the teams playing out of league/county/state games this week: Washington (Somerset County), Colonel Richardson (Caroline County), Easton (Talbot County), C.M. Wright(Harford County), Liberty (Carroll County), Century (Carroll County), Central (PG County), Mervo (Baltimore City), Clear Spring, Southern Garrett and Hancock.

Actually of the 3 teams listed on the Eastern Shore of MD, only Easton had a true "bye" week this week. Washington and Colonel are both playing teams from the Eastern Shore of VA, which is actually a part of the Bayside 1A conference opponents.

Reactions: towpath94
The 1A Bayside South teams will play both Nandua and Arcadia while the 1A Bayside North teams will play one of those teams,correct?

The 1A Bayside South teams will play both Nandua and Arcadia while the 1A Bayside North teams will play one of those teams,correct?
Actually there is no Bayside North and South in Football anymore. Starting in 2010 I believe, we went to Bayside 1A, and Bayside 2A-3A. All the Bayside 1A's play each other, same for the 2A-3A. Also each year each 1A will play a selected 3-4 opponents from the other division. They mixed in games with the Eastern Shore of VA that wanted to participate. They did keep the Week 10 game in tact (for example, CSD v Easton).

As far as how many Bayside 1A's played Arcadia and Nandua, I believe it was up to those VA schools. For example Colonel played both, as did Snow Hill. Washington only played Arcadia, as did Kent. CSD only played Nandua. I have the next 2 year block schedule but haven't looked at it too closely to see how this continued.

Reactions: ultrawalt
I can't see where any of this would be on Alco. CC has to own this and Alco should get credit for the win. The only bad thing is that Alco will lose the gate for the home game. Hope the Alco coach finds something positive for his week off. That's about the only thing that they could do.

I am not blaming it on Alco but if they knew that they already had a game scheduled on Saturday the same week I would not have scheduled that game for this very reason. But maybe that is just me. And again, that is if Alco knew.

Being as though they played the same week last year I don't think it would be on Allegany. The only thing I can think of is with the move to a Thursday game they didn't have it reflected or in mind when they were offered a Saturday game against Sidwell Friends and accepted it and when it came time to figure out who to drop they decided to keep the local private school that Presidents send their children to. My questions are when did CCA realize their mistake since I doubt they just figured out the mishap this week and why not just own up to the mistake when they found it?

Being as though they played the same week last year I don't think it would be on Allegany. The only thing I can think of is with the move to a Thursday game they didn't have it reflected or in mind when they were offered a Saturday game against Sidwell Friends and accepted it and when it came time to figure out who to drop they decided to keep the local private school that Presidents send their children to. My questions are when did CCA realize their mistake since I doubt they just figured out the mishap this week and why not just own up to the mistake when they found it?

In my opinion (I don't have any inside info about the situation), it wasn't a "mistake." They did the same thing a couple of years ago: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...2bba1e-5555-11e4-809b-8cc0a295c773_story.html

The 10/13 Allegany and 10/15 Sidwell games have been on the schedule for months. Something may have happened with injuries, or maybe parents or the administration complained about the quick turnaround being dangerous to the kids.

Here is the story on the Alco vs. CCA cancellation. I type super fast so read it or don't if it's too long.

Two years ago Alco signed a two year contract with CCA. The first year (2015) was to be played at their field, the next year (2016) at Greenway. Well CCA didn't have a field locked down in 2015 so Alco made a deal and agreed to pay for their bus and meal to come here in 2015. They did and Alco won the game. CCA was set to come here again in 2016 per the contract. Alco even agreed to pay for their bus and meal again even though the contract did not call for it.

But this past winter, CCA went ahead and scheduled Sidwell Friends for that same 2016 weekend while saying they don't remember signing a contract with Alco. CCA becomes Sidwell Friends Homecoming opponent. When CCA was notified immediately back in Februrary that they did sign a contract their coach decided to just play Alco here on Friday night, then play Sidwell Friends the next day at 2:30 on Saturday. I myself called the CCA head coach and told him you cannot do that to your kids. His exact words were "We have done it in the past and we will be fine." OK, it's his call obviously. Alco was made aware back then what CCA had done. They both agreed to just play the games.

Then in early August, when I call to check in to see where the CCA schedule is and where the program numbers are (you have to do this with these schools because many times they won't have the numbers to field a team) they tell me their numbers are the best they have been but the head coach doesn't want to play Alco. He says it jeopardizes the safety of his kids. To which I replied, "No kidding, we had this same argument back in February." Then I reminded him again that his kids probably would not get back from Cumberland Friday night until midnight and then they would have to get up and play another game at 2:30, which is ridiculous. The CCA coach Lewis says he doesn't remember that February conversation with me. But then when I spoke with the lady helping them put the schedule together, she confirms the conversation as she was a part of it as well. I mean, Geez Coach, really? He was basically not telling the truth. And the lady putting their schedule together (who also has her son on the team) had to call the head coach out about that conversation. She too told him back in February over and over you cannot play two games on the same weekend. She lost that argument at the time.

So Alco decides to bump the CCA game up to Thursday at 5:00 to allow CCA another day to get ready for their Saturday game with Sidwell Friends. CCA agrees and says thank you, we will see you in October.

Then on Monday of this week at the last minute, CCA contacts Alco to say they have decided not to play Alco due to the safety of their kids. They will play their game on Saturday though versus Sidwell Friends. CCA says they will just forfeit the game. Which doesn't affect CCA at all because they don't have a playoff set up.

This marks the THIRD TIME we have had this same exact conversation with CCA about playing 2 games on the same weekend...back in February, back in early August, and now. I have told their coach each time that it is a horrible way to treat others when you tell them at the last minute. This game should have been dropped back in the winter. But since Alco has a difficult time finding games I suspect they held on to it based on CCA giving their word and a signed contract.

In other bad news, now the MPSSAA is probably going to rule the CCA game a "no-contest" meaning the game won't count. It won't be a forfeit and Alco point totals will use 9 games instead of 10. That makes no sense. I spoke with the CCA headmaster and when told this was to be senior night for Alco, he felt bad. But not enough to change his mind.

What bothers me as I have been through this many times, is that MPSSAA contracts are worthless. Even when it's between two MPSSAA schools. I really have had nothing nice to say about the MPSSAA for the last 10 years I have dealt with them. As individuals they are nice people, but as a governing body group they are like many educational agendas...politically driven and detrimental more than helpful.

CCA is no different than MATHS (Maryland Academy That Helmick Scheduled). These teams are not really a football program but more of a "let's see how this goes" thrown together project with few people helping out. So that means extreme last minute disorganization. You don't know if they will have enough kids, if they will show up and show up on time, if they can get a bus scheduled, if they will bring their pads and helmets, if they have the correct color jerseys, etc. because they really don't have anyone in charge of these things. If they do have a coach or administrator in charge of these things (usually it's a volunteer parent), they only last for less than a year so the next admin coming in has no clue they have a contract signed with Alco or anyone. But we all know this going in. MATHS and CCA have now burned Alco twice with a no game at the last minute. Although in MATHS case, they just folded the program in August. It sucks, but you have to know this going in. If you can find someone to replace CCA I would recommend it. But neither Alco nor FH can find a 1A replacement for them and so this is what you get. At the same time, Silver Oak is legit. Yes, they have some issues where not enough people are around to help out Coach Mcleod - who also doubles as an AD, teacher, among many things. But Silver Oak is not going to operate like CCA or MATHS. If they can't play or don't have the numbers, you will get it straight from Coach Mcleod. I have much respect for him. And they aren't that bad of a team usually, especially considering their situation. Or let me put it another way. SILVER OAK WOULD BEAT MORE THAN HALF OF THE 1A WEST TEAMS.

On a similar but separate note...Alco needs 3 varsity games for next year. And that is with Northern , Southern and Chestnut Ridge still on the schedule. Ridiculous. It's either find another CCA or go play bigger powers.

Last edited:
From what I have read on the MOCO board, several of the Montgomery County schools will be looking for out of county games for the next two year cycle. Perhaps Alco and FH can get in on this. Otherwise it's looking more and more like scheduling larger public's or private schools to get a ten game schedule.

I really can't understand the reasoning behind making the game a no contest as opposed to a forfeit since this is a situation caused by ,in this case, the negligence of one team. It does seem that the MPSSAA has avoided awarding forfeits this year regardless of the situation. Earlier this year Potomac had a game at VA public school I.C. Norcom in Norfolk and made the 3 1/2 hour trip there only to find that some kind of mishap was made and there were no officials. Despite this the MPSSAA still refused to rule the game a forfeit.

Reactions: camper21502
todd you said next year it's either play a cca type team or play bigger powers. why would this even be a decision to make? after all this mickey mouse crap with a piss poor program like cca, why would a coach even consider this? tired of the scheduling discussion. fh and alco need to elevate the schedule for a week and drop this cca crap. if fh or alco chooses a cca type situation over a martinsburg or whoever, then shame on them! the kids are who is being cheated. they would be better off playing BW's soccer team in a flag football game then playing cca

todd you said next year it's either play a cca type team or play bigger powers. why would this even be a decision to make? after all this mickey mouse crap with a piss poor program like cca, why would a coach even consider this? tired of the scheduling discussion. fh and alco need to elevate the schedule for a week and drop this cca crap. if fh or alco chooses a cca type situation over a martinsburg or whoever, then shame on them! the kids are who is being cheated. they would be better off playing BW's soccer team in a flag football game then playing cca

But all the coaches have PLAYOFFITIS.
Teams get more points for beating the BW soccer team than they do for losing to Martinsburg.
PLAYOFFITIS is very contagious. Once a couple of teams catch it...every coach has it.

I couldn't have said it better... God forbid either school has to drop the bad news bears and play a tough opponent one week out of their schedule...

I know we've talked about this before but both FH and Allegany need to apologize to those old CVAL teams for burning their bridges.. And just suck it up having to play Martinsburg.. Every other game outside of Martinsburg is a guaranteed win.. The FH home game crowds are starting to look like the Allegany home crowds.. And that has nothing to do with declining population and everything to do with Fairmont Heights and CCA playing at the stadium.. Think of all the lost revenue that could have went to buying school books by simply flushing those turd teams down the toilet and building rivalry games with tougher competition... Yea yea I know the same excuses for not wanting to play more challenging teams. But people need to wake up and see the bigger picture that I've been trying to show them the last 5 or so years.. FH for sure but Alco also probably would have dusted both linganore and Urbana off this year.. Imagine having those teams up here the atmosphere and economic incentive... But what do you get? Alco without a game this year and FH without a game last year..

Last edited:
Well no one is going to say Silver Oak is a good football team. But you know local football is bad when most of the teams aren't as good as Silver Oak.

I guess PA state champion Imhotep Charter, St. Francis, Mt. St. Joe, Caravel, DE and Potomac are all in on the same joke.

I don't even know why I bother wasting my time responding to such dumb posts but as its been pointed out before... When the area schools start playing a schedule like St.Francis and Mt. St. Joe then maybe you can start pointing to them as justification for playimg such a team as Silver Oak... Big difference when your playing 9 powerhouse teams and one cupcake as opposed to playing 10 cupcakes... But of course you know this but you're one of the ones, I think, that always exaggerated what was being said.. Saying "people were advocating playing all NFL teams.." Which is just as silly as pointing out miaa teams playing silver oak as justification for area schools playing them... Play a miaa schedule and you deserve one silver oak game on your schedule. You should be ashamed of yourself for even mentioning those schools in the same sentence as these area schedules...

Last edited:
In addition to Silver Oak, Mt.St. Joe's also played Capitol Christian and Avalon. So you consider them powehouses? Since the area schools can't openly recruit like the MIAA schools, by your thinking there is no justification for them to play the Silver Oaks or CC's.

Potomac, aside from Wise and maybe Douglass and Gwynn Park (who Fairmont Heights led at halftime) has a schedule that would be no better than Fort Hill's or Alco's.

There might be a difference between having a tune up game or two in the case of a MIAA school or getting an opponent as a week 10 fill in because your last week 10 opponent closed and using a silver oak as a regular opponent and using their place on other schedules as justification. It's also problematic to compare results without being aware of surrounding circumstances. If I weren't that would lead me to assume that since Fairmont Heights led Gwynn Park (never mind the rain forcing three or four schedule changes on a short week, settling on a after school matinee so GPs field could be used for 5 other games since they have turf and lights)before giving up 30 points in quick order that they should beat Suitland (by 30 points)or Douglass pretty easily. Extending that logic I would say based on those results there should be no reason not to try and schedule a Suitland, Roosevelt, Potomac, Oxon Hill and even Wise regardless of their size because judging by the Fairmont Heights game you should win by 50, not that I'm necessarily advocating that. So there are several ways to look at things here.

Comparing schedules? Nope. Bur MSJ being a strong private doesn't have to worry about making playoffs, or a Hancock or Clear Spring going 9-1, 10-0, and knocking them out of a playoff spot yet they still play Silver Oak and CC when I'm sure stronger opponents were available.

Fort Hill can lose at least 2 games every year and still be fine for the playoffs. They will still always have to a) get past Alco to move on to win a title and b) be the top 1 or 2 team in 1A. A and B will never change. Regardless if there is a schedule full of CCA's or 2 or 3 Martinsburg caliber teams...if FH can accomplish A and B...then the regular season record is nearly meaningless. There is NO justification to say that playing a team that would most years be considered favored to beat them is detrimental to Fort Hill. None.

I've never really said I am "fine" with the schedule...I've just usually gone on the defensive to those who say it sucks. But dammit, I really am having a hard time mustering up the energy to do so anymore...the schedule fncking sucks. Yes, FH is very good this year...but even a mediocre FH is going to go 9-1 or 8-2 at WORST with this exact same schedule. Allegany being the more likely loss if FH was just average. Because an average FH team is still a pretty damn good team. And would STILL be 6-0 at this point in the year.

Coaches need to get past this weird obsession with going 10-0 every year and realize that you can up your competition and still kick everyone's ass in your own classification. Give the kids a challenge. They already understand teamwork, they already understand fundamentals, they already have the drive...so challenge them.

I used to be solidly on that "just win baby" bandwagon, but consider me standing on the siderail about ready to hop off. Fort Hill (as in, whomever finalizes the schedule - not TDHelmick) needs to take some ownership in this issue. Drop CCA and pick up Good Counsel. Who cares. You'll get your butt kicked by a really good team...or you'll shock the world. Either way, you're still going to be the favorite to win the 1A title 99% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT