ADVERTISEMENT

TDHELMICK

bigsavage

Blue Chip Poster
Dec 4, 2007
If FH finishes undefeated and Damascus or Walkersville finishes undefeated is there any chance at all that there could be a match up next year between these teams? Damascus just won their 35th straight FH their 30th straight. Could you imagine the atmosphere leading up that game and the gate those games would generate? No reason at all these games shouldn't be played if they're possible. After this weekends turnout on and off the field I would be doing everything possible to convince the powers that be to make it happen.. 1a defending champs against 2a defending champs. Hell there was close to 8k people this weekend and that was with the visitors only bringing about 30 people. Imagine Walkersville and Damascus contingent adding to those numbers. People yearn for these types of matchups and the kids deserve them. Please make sure its a Saturday evening game again though so I could make it. Man if only dreams came true. :)

Last edited:
I would rather see Martinsburg back on the schedule first. Maybe FH can get all 3.I have a novel idea...how about FH, Martinsburg, Walkersville and Damascus and/or Middletown agree to a 4 year set up where we all play each other. Guarenteed games. What would you say to that?

2018 notes
Friendship will be coming here next year for the same date. Hollidaysburg resigned for another 2 years for Week 3.
Keyser is officially off the schedule at this point.

There are some things that go into scheduling that people don't understand as well. As an example, we are working on a very nice replacement for Keyser Week 2. However FH had Hollidaysburg for Week 3. But Maryland shifts back a week in 2019 and PA does not. The FH Week 3 is September 14, 2018 and September 20, 2019. No so in PA. They want to keep the date September 14 for both years. That PA/MD shift thing is so confusing.

Last edited:
I would rather see Martinsburg back on the schedule first. Maybe FH can get all 3.I have a novel idea...how about FH, Martinsburg, Walkersville and Damascus and/or Middletown agree to a 4 year set up where we all play each other. Guarenteed games. What would you say to that?

2018 notes
Friendship will be coming here next year for the same date. Hollidaysburg resigned for another 2 years for Week 3.

There are some things that go into scheduling that people don't understand as well. As an example, we are working on a very nice replacement for Keyser Week 2. However FH had Hollidaysburg for Week 3. But Maryland shifts back a week in 2019 and PA does not. The FH Week 3 is September 14, 2018 and September 20, 2019. No so in PA. They want to keep the date September 14 for both years. That PA/MD shift thing is so confusing.

Martinsburg would be nice too. But I think a lot of people are interested in seeing how FH stacks up against other Maryland powers, its never really happened in the regular season. You would have alot of people from down state, Baltimore, pg, montgomery county, and Frederick County coming to see a FH v. Damascus matchup. I definitely don't believe scheduling 4 would happen. Hell its hard enough to get 1 contender on FH's schedule you mean to tell me they're now willing to add 4 contenders? Adding Damascus or Walkersville and then Martinsburg would be a dream schedule.. 2 losses wouldn't hurt your playoff chances. And the gates would be enormous...

2018 notes

Would Martinsburg, Walkersville or Middletown want to play each other if FH would?

TDHelmick I also forgot about another advantage of trying to get Damascus on the schedule over other teams, and its huge.. They have the nations overall #1 prospect in the country for 2020 Bryan Bresee 6'5 260 defensive end. What a thrill that would be for the players to line up across from him. Could you imagine the amount of college scouts showing up to those games, by default, giving FH kids the added exposure and clout if they performed well? I could only imagine the build up leading to those games. I can see your newspaper article right now titled, "Clash of the Titans, someone has to lose" What a story line that would be. :)

https://247sports.com/Article/Debuting-the-Top100-rankings-for-the-class-of-2020-105973292

Last edited:
Damascus doesn't have any open dates next year or for the foreseeable future. Walkersville & Middletown schedules locked in till 2019 unless someone drops them too.

More scheduling stuff, more scheduling stuff, more scheduling stuff...it never ends eh?

Some interesting MPSSAA point numbers for Week 7. Here are the points for some of the still undefeated teams.

Havre de Grace (1A) - 9.43
Fort Hill (1A) - 9.26
Walkersville (2A) - 9.14
Howard (4A) - 9.10
North Carolina (2A) - 9.00
River Hill (2A) - 8.78
Harford Tech (2A) - 8.67
Suitland (4A) - 8.60

Two 1A schools with more points than the others.
Call scheduling an art. I've said here before that you have to play the cards that are dealt. The MPSSAA is the dealer in a super silly points game. I'm not going all in with a pair of deuces just to say I have the stones to do so. The goal is to be the last man standing in the end. And if that is the true goal, then both the Havre de Grace and Fort Hill schedules are a masterpiece.

After the MCC game I've thought quite a bit about this whole argument in regards to putting fans in the seats. We hear it all the time whether it be Alco or FH. But really, is that important? And if it is important in what way? So the money can be used to pay the athletic budget for every other sport? If Clear Spring and the Baltimore City schools can field a football team with little to no fans in the seats than neither Alco or FH should be concerned about this factor. The money does not affect success. Entertainment value is another story. But entertainment value has nothing to do with being the last man standing.

Last edited:
More scheduling stuff, more scheduling stuff, more scheduling stuff...it never ends eh?

Some interesting MPSSAA point numbers for Week 7. Here are the points for some of the still undefeated teams.

Fort Hill (1A) - 9.26
Walkersville (2A) - 9.14
Howard (4A) - 9.10
River Hill (2A) - 8.78
Harford Tech (2A) - 8.67
Suitland (4A) - 8.60

Call scheduling an art. I've said here before that you have to play the cards that are dealt. The MPSSAA is the dealer in a super silly points game. I'm not going all in with a pair of deuces just to say I have the stones to do so. The goal is to be the last man standing in the end. And if that is the true goal, then both the Havre de Grace and Fort Hill schedules are a masterpiece.

After the MCC game I've thought quite a bit about this whole argument in regards to putting fans in the seats. We hear it all the time whether it be Alco or FH. But really, is that important? And if it is important in what way? So the money can be used to pay the athletic budget for every other sport? If Clear Spring and the Baltimore City schools can field a football team with little to no fans in the seats than neither Alco or FH should be concerned about this factor. The money does not affect success. Entertainment value is another story. But entertainment value has nothing to do with being the last man standing (if that is the top goal).
Let's look at it this way. When Allegany fans want to wants to brag, do they say "remember the time we beat Martinsburg" or "remember the time we beat dunbar"...no, they say "we have eight".
When FH talks about this run down the road is anybody gonna say "we beat Sherando in a great game in front of a packed house" or "we beat mcc from florida" or are they gonna say "we won 4 straight titles".
I think you've hit the nail on the head, it's about the title, nothing else. Keep doing what you're doing, and occasionally there will be a sherando game or an mcc game and it's a great time, but it's one win, and you don't get a trophy.

Reactions: Waggle Pass

Fort Hill (1A) - 9.26
Walkersville (2A) - 9.14
Howard (4A) - 9.10
River Hill (2A) - 8.78
Harford Tech (2A) - 8.67
Suitland (4A) - 8.60

After the MCC game I've thought quite a bit about this whole argument in regards to putting fans in the seats. We hear it all the time whether it be Alco or FH. But really, is that important? And if it is important in what way? So the money can be used to pay the athletic budget for every other sport? If Clear Spring and the Baltimore City schools can field a football team with little to no fans in the seats than neither Alco or FH should be concerned about this factor. The money does not affect success. Entertainment value is another story. But entertainment value has nothing to do with being the last man standing.

LOL to each his own... not going to go down this road again. One day you're ready to play Good counsel the next day your advocating scheduling cream puffs. One day you want to fill seats and implore people to come out and show support, the next day it doesn't matter. Too much double mindedness for me. I knew it was too good to be true lol

Reactions: OneRing and beall02
LOL to each his own... not going to go down this road again. One day you're ready to play Good counsel the next day your advocating scheduling cream puffs. One day you want to fill seats the next it doesn't matter. Too much double mindedness for me. I knew it was too good to be true lol

I think you misinterpreted the post. FH got MCC and Friendship didn't they? I'm all for getting another. Just not a boat load of them.

I think you misinterpreted the post. FH got MCC and Friendship didn't they? I'm all for getting another. Just not a boat load of them.

I took your post to mean you were questioning the importance of filling seats and the money associated with it, in regards to it really doesn't matter if seats are filled or not.

"I'm not going all in with a pair of deuces just to say I have the stones to do so. " I took this statement to mean that you weren't going to play tough games just so you can say you played tough competition. I just worked 14 hrs some I'm tired and brain may not be working...

Well the filling of seats does that equate to success on the field. That was all. Yet people around here put so much emphasis on it. They don't most other places.

"The goal is to be the last man standing in the end"

"it's about the title, nothing else."

When you consider this is about high school football, it's hard to read all this without feeling a little dirty afterward.

Also you pointed out MCC and Friendship. You took it a step further and said you're all for adding another just not loading. Which if you go back and read my second post I said " Adding Damascus or Walkersville and then Martinsburg would be a dream schedule.. 2 losses wouldn't hurt your playoff chances." In all actuality I only suggested two teams that could be potential losses. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough, But I personally wouldn't schedule more than 2 potential losses under the current playoff system...

Well the filling of seats does that equate to success on the field. That was all. Yet people around here put so much emphasis on it. They don't most other places.

No, filling seats does not equate to success, filling seats is a byproduct of that success. If you have a succesful program why not reap the benefits while they present themselves? FH may not always be on top and they might not always have the potential to fill seats, see allegany.. While the opportunity is here I would be taking advantage of it.. Its like Mayweather not taking advantage of his star power while he is a draw, that wouldn't make much sense, fiscally anyway would it??

I mean if its not about money then do away with admissions, concessions, programs, tee shirts, hats, butt cushions, and raffles and let everyone come watch for free...

"The goal is to be the last man standing in the end"

"it's about the title, nothing else."

When you consider this is about high school football, it's hard to read all this without feeling a little dirty afterward.

Kids playing marbles on the playground with out adults standing around. Competitiveness to be the last kid standing is human nature.

I know you don't.. I knew my post was nothing more than wishful thinking.. Just putting it out there. A dreamer can dream can't he? Lol

Well, let's just be honest then and stop this tradition, community and competition for student athletes crap. So, it isn't about getting students or parents to the games or even the community to care. And, it isn't even about getting real competition for the players.

I'm struggling here. I would really like to understand. We don't care if the seats are empty. We don't care if the team gets real competition.

We only care about the trophy.
Kids playing marbles on the playground with out adults standing around. Competitiveness to be the last kid standing is human nature.

Well, when you reduce it all down to that level, I guess I see your point. And that is why I have such a problem with it.

Then again...

Too bad they didn't put you in charge of the stadium renovation. You might have been able to talk them into apartment development where the unnecessary stands are. Think of the increased tax base.

Last edited:
I'm struggling here. I would really like to understand. We don't care if the seats are empty. We don't care if the team gets real competition.

Isn't that more the Alco model?
Dunbar crowd was decent. We need both teams to upgrade comp I guess to raise money for the county. That's what kids are for.

Isn't that more the Alco model?
Dunbar crowd was decent. We need both teams to upgrade comp I guess to raise money for the county. That's what kids are for.

I don't know what the Alco model is and I have no contact to find out. Scheduling Dunbar doesn't appear to be scheduling for the playoffs, though.

I don't recall ever championing better competition for the potential gate. I do recall recommending that students/parents get issued passes - all for a sense of community by encouraging attendance. Allegany County is, I believe, the 3rd poorest county in the state. It's enough to keep your kids in clothes.

I also remember students, during the Dunbar game, going through the stands taking donations for a Jack Gilmore charity. I happily handed them a twenty. That is a good way to do things. Get the students and parents in the seats for free and have others pay and donate.

Dunbar was the only team on the list until week 10 that was supposed to be a challenge.

Well, I'm sure you have better inside information than I as to what Hansel was thinking (personally, I think great for the team not so much the playoffs). To me, Alco already had Keyser and CR on their schedule. Add FH and you have 3 competitive games. Why would Allegany add a team that was considered to be better than Allegany - one they might beat - but considered better and ranked much better preseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
I withdrew my comment. I shouldn’t have gotten in the whole Allegany schedule debate. We all just look at things differently obviously. It’s all good.

The schedule issue is simple... No one in the history of football ever played a juggernaut every single week. Even Bama plays Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Fresno State and a stud team this season by the name of Mercer........

I guess I don't see what everyone's complaining about here. Cumberland has 2 programs that are as widely known, battle tested and successful in the entire state as any of them.

I know LinemenWinGames and BrianH1972 keep telling us all about Alcos crap 10-2 campaign with a first year head coach from last season.. which will obviously haunt those kids every day for the rest of their lives....... but did we all forget that both of those losses came to a FH team that's one of the best in the state the last 4, and probably now 5 years in a row?

Point is, 10-2 last year for Alco was good. This season so far is good. But just good, not really good or great. FH is in the great category this year as they've been the past few years in a row. Both schools schedule pretty well, not perfect, but nobody does. What matters is that in our classification, they'll both always be playoff contenders, and most of the time one of them is likely to be the favorite to win it all.

So with all that said, how complicated is this issue, really? I understand the regular FH/Alco banter, but the crying about schedules from both sides is really getting stupid.

Reactions: 4R341
The schedule issue is simple... No one in the history of football ever played a juggernaut every single week. Even Bama plays Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Fresno State and a stud team this season by the name of Mercer........

I guess I don't see what everyone's complaining about here. Cumberland has 2 programs that are as widely known, battle tested and successful in the entire state as any of them.

I know LinemenWinGames and BrianH1972 keep telling us all about Alcos crap 10-2 campaign with a first year head coach from last season.. which will obviously haunt those kids every day for the rest of their lives....... but did we all forget that both of those losses came to a FH team that's one of the best in the state the last 4, and probably now 5 years in a row?

Point is, 10-2 last year for Alco was good. This season so far is good. But just good, not really good or great. FH is in the great category this year as they've been the past few years in a row. Both schools schedule pretty well, not perfect, but nobody does. What matters is that in our classification, they'll both always be playoff contenders, and most of the time one of them is likely to be the favorite to win it all.

So with all that said, how complicated is this issue, really? I understand the regular FH/Alco banter, but the crying about schedules from both sides is really getting stupid.
great post, and it further drills down to the point it's not about the schedule at all. not one fort hill person is complaining abut winning 4 straight titles in a row, part of that is the scheduling. if you're not part of fh why would you care? hiding behind "it's best for the community" or "it's best for the boys" seems clearly a matter of jealousy and envy and trying to tear down fh in any way possible.

Reactions: GenSneaky
great post, and it further drills down to the point it's not about the schedule at all. not one fort hill person is complaining abut winning 4 straight titles in a row, part of that is the scheduling. if you're not part of fh why would you care? hiding behind "it's best for the community" or "it's best for the boys" seems clearly a matter of jealousy and envy and trying to tear down fh in any way possible.

"..hiding behind "it's best for the community" or "it's best for the boys" seems clearly a matter of jealousy and envy and trying to tear down fh."

That's just so full of crap. It's a forum. Try getting over that. This has turned into a Big Red panties-in-a-wad crowd. Tear down fh with a forum post? Really? I am sure glad the football team is tougher than you guys.

It’s a forum that was once about discussing football and sports. Well hell. Now it seems like it’s nothing but a cesspool of hate. Nobody actually takes time to discuss how good we actually have it when it comes to a football or sports community. All we want to do is lob idiotic attacks back and forth. This forum is trash because of the constant drama. I don’t even know why MdVarsity even allows this crap. It reminds me of the Young and the Restless. I vote Lag as Victor. Cause I think he’s a ladies man. Now rewind it every year and everyone is still bitching about the same shit with an outsider stirring the pot.

"..hiding behind "it's best for the community" or "it's best for the boys" seems clearly a matter of jealousy and envy and trying to tear down fh."

That's just so full of crap. It's a forum. Try getting over that. This has turned into a Big Red panties-in-a-wad crowd. Tear down fh with a forum post? Really? I am sure glad the football team is tougher than you guys.
Lag, you were one of those guys saying screw championships. I believe your statement went something like “I dont give a damn about the playoffs”. You should think about the community and the kids when scheduling games.
After all according to lag, the kids will remember playing against completion more than the ring they will have earned.

That “hiding behind its best for the community and anything to try and tear down forthill” sounds stupid when you hear it from someone else doesn’t it?

Lag, you were one of those guys saying screw championships. I believe your statement went something like “I dont give a damn about the playoffs”. You should think about the community and the kids when scheduling games.
After all according to lag, the kids will remember playing against completion more than the ring they will have earned.

That “hiding behind its best for the community and anything to try and tear down forthill” sounds stupid when you hear it from someone else doesn’t it?

Well, I don't see where having my particular stance on an issue is hiding behind it. I feel well justified to think that wanting to give the young men the best competition is not trying to tear down FH, quite the contrary. When I read posts suggesting that the playoffs - regardless of how you get there - is the only thing that matters.... well, I comment.

Seems to me, folks should expect that, not get all wadded up.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
It’s a forum that was once about discussing football and sports. Well hell. Now it seems like it’s nothing but a cesspool of hate. Nobody actually takes time to discuss how good we actually have it when it comes to a football or sports community. All we want to do is lob idiotic attacks back and forth. This forum is trash because of the constant drama. I don’t even know why MdVarsity even allows this crap. It reminds me of the Young and the Restless. I vote Lag as Victor. Cause I think he’s a ladies man. Now rewind it every year and everyone is still bitching about the same shit with an outsider stirring the pot.

I don't know if I want to look that up. Is Victor a good guy? And... ugh, Victor a ladies man? ..... Checked it out with the wife. Okay.... I can live with that. I am somewhat of an aging mixer type, business guy.

Last edited:
I figured you would be all over the board tonight. Comm Vid is replaying the Fort Hill game. You can post what you missed Saturday night.

"3 games in 8 days"?

"how do you ASSESS USO & Holidaysburg if you were not there and no tv coverage"?

On that note, what are you going to post about FH this Saturday since they are on the road with no television coverage? Maybe you'll be there in person......

Well, let's just be honest then and stop this tradition, community and competition for student athletes crap. So, it isn't about getting students or parents to the games or even the community to care. And, it isn't even about getting real competition for the players.

Well, when you reduce it all down to that level, I guess I see your point. And that is why I have such a problem with it.

Then again...

Too bad they didn't put you in charge of the stadium renovation. You might have been able to talk them into apartment development where the unnecessary stands are. Think of the increased tax base.
And remember the trophy thing just started three years ago. Before that the trophy meant nothing compared to being champion of a dying town in western Maryland.

Saying screw championships was what every FH fan said from the mid 70s until three years ago. The whole season was based on beating one team. Or complaining that Allegany only won titles because they we're a smaller class. Now that they are the tallest dwarf in the state, its all about the championship.

Reactions: camper21502
I enjoyed watching the Melbourne game. I enjoyed watching the Dunbar game. I want more lol..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT