ADVERTISEMENT

So what's up with Forrestville??

bleedred

Franchise Poster
Oct 16, 2001
Their line looks huge and it appears that they throw the ball around. Also have a fireplug of a back, about 5'8" and over 200 pounds. Next to FH I believe that they are the highest rated (maxpreps) of the remaining 1A schools left.

A roster that I saw had two 280 lb lineman and a 340. FH will have to bring their A game this week. We all know that PG county plays tough, physical football. This game could be more difficult than the championship. Friday is supposed to be the warmest day this week. Could cramping be an issue?

Havre de Grace has highest ranking at 88. Faet is 90 something and Forestville is 100.

I stand corrected. About a week ago both HDG and FAET were both ranked out of the top 100. Cal preps also has both HDG and FAET beating Forrestville by a touchdown now as well.

I still think that the big line for Forestville could be a problem, if they can play for 4 qtrs.

I'd rather see FH face a spread passing team than a read option team. A "good" read option team, that is. It is one of the least seen offenses represented on the schedule, and has historically taken FH a while to adjust to.

Reactions: towpath94
It is going to be a long ride for them to get here....and an even looooooonger one going back.

You know how had an even longer ride? Perryville.........

Just saying guys, that was my first trip to Cumberland and I sat in that stadium and watched that game unfold as stunned as everyone else. I went there fully expecting to watch a Fort Hill beat down and that game was anything but that. Same with Brunswick. I just hope the team isn't as overconfident as the posters on here. Good luck to the Sentinels as I will certainly be pulling for you!

I've explained here before PG County doesn't produce very good 1A teams because most of the really good players in Forestville are going to play at 4A Suitland, 4A Wise or one of the private schools. That being said, I talked to the Forestville coach today at the MPSSAA luncheon and he's a young bright guy, seems like he can do well there.

Also, everyone is impressed by the HDG quarterback and he's only a junior. The FAET coach told me because they are no longer a charter school they may close down in two years because of a lack of funding from the city.

I've explained here before PG County doesn't produce very good 1A teams because most of the really good players in Forestville are going to play at 4A Suitland, 4A Wise or one of the private schools. That being said, I talked to the Forestville coach today at the MPSSAA luncheon and he's a young bright guy, seems like he can do well there.

Also, everyone is impressed by the HDG quarterback and he's only a junior. The FAET coach told me because they are no longer a charter school they may close down in two years because of a lack of funding from the city.

Boyz,
Any score predictions for the 1A semifinals? Also does Northwest have a chance this week?

Baltimore is supposed to stop funding a lot of the charter schools because they are not living up the educational standards. This will ultimately increase the enrollment of the traditional schools. I don't recall many 1A City schools back in the day.

Baltimore is supposed to stop funding a lot of the charter schools because they are not living up the educational standards. This will ultimately increase the enrollment of the traditional schools. I don't recall many 1A City schools back in the day.

Yes, if they don't make the proper academic progress they can lose their charter. In the case of FAET, they used to be a Friendship charter school, like the successful team in DC, but they had some financial problem with the Friendship organization.

I'm with LHS Lancer on this one, take nothing for granted. This is a FH team that can play with the best schools in the state one game and be undisciplined and very beatable the next. They are nothing like the machines of the past 2 seasons. I think we win, but I think it closer than anticipated. It also wouldn't surprise me to see us lose either.

Lancer, the Perryville game was a stunning upset. However the Brunswick game you watched was not. In defense, that was a down year for FH and we overachieved majorly getting to the West Region final that season

Reactions: camper21502
Boyz,
Any score predictions for the 1A semifinals? Also does Northwest have a chance this week?

HDH 26 FAET 18

FH 35 Forestville 12

The Wise/Northwest game is going to be a good one. One of these two teams has won the 4A title every year since 2011. It's hard to go against an undefeated Wise squad playing at home in good weather. Wise 30 NW 20

Lancer, the Perryville game was a stunning upset. However the Brunswick game you watched was not. In defense, that was a down year for FH and we overachieved majorly getting to the West Region final that season

The Brunswick game wasn't a "stunning" upset but I would still call it an upset. The Brunswick O was very talented that year but I thought Fort Hill would be able to get enough stops and score at will on their defense. They did score but unfortunately couldn't get the stops. It's a shame to see how far the Brunswick program has fallen since then. There is a ton of development going on in the Brunswick district so hopefully they can start rebuilding.

I'm with LHS Lancer on this one, take nothing for granted. This is a FH team that can play with the best schools in the state one game and be undisciplined and very beatable the next. They are nothing like the machines of the past 2 seasons. I think we win, but I think it closer than anticipated. It also wouldn't surprise me to see us lose either.

Don't know if any of you remember but FH was up 2 td's on Perryville and dropped an interception at midfield...P'ville was in the endzone within a minute after that. Next series FH pulled the 3 runs up the middle crap, got nowhere, punted, P'ville scored almost immediately.

The P'ville game is a perfect example of FH just collapsing when they have things under control. They were up 2 td's in the 2nd half and dropped an interception midfield..within a few plays P'ville scored. FH ran three times up the middle on the next series, got nowhere, punted, and P'ville was in the endzone in no time. FH never recovered from that one dropped pass. To hold somebody scoreless 3 1/2 quarters and then collapse is almost identical to the Alco game last week. If they don't keep their foot on the gas and play to win, not hold on, they allow teams to hang around and then anything can happen. F'ville has nothing to lose, they are a huge underdog, and those teams can be very scarey.

Don't know if any of you remember but FH was up 2 td's on Perryville and dropped an interception at midfield...P'ville was in the endzone within a minute after that. Next series FH pulled the 3 runs up the middle crap, got nowhere, punted, P'ville scored almost immediately.

The P'ville game is a perfect example of FH just collapsing when they have things under control. They were up 2 td's in the 2nd half and dropped an interception midfield..within a few plays P'ville scored. FH ran three times up the middle on the next series, got nowhere, punted, and P'ville was in the endzone in no time. FH never recovered from that one dropped pass. To hold somebody scoreless 3 1/2 quarters and then collapse is almost identical to the Alco game last week. If they don't keep their foot on the gas and play to win, not hold on, they allow teams to hang around and then anything can happen. F'ville has nothing to lose, they are a huge underdog, and those teams can be very scarey.

I felt they went wayyyy too conservative in the 2nd half last week. They did nothing in the first half against Sherando and then opened up the offense in the 2nd half and it was like a different team. Did they even try a pass in the second half last week? It's like "yeah, we know it worked once, but we're afraid we were just lucky."

It also wouldn't surprise me to see us lose either.

It would surprise the heck out of me if Fort Hill loses to Forestville in Cumberland on a Friday night in late November.

You guys are all wrong. That game was lost on the last play of the 1st half. FH had a goal to go at the 1, up 14-0. You're talking a state semi-final game. You kick a FG and go up 17-0, 3 scores. Game, set, match. Perryville never recovers. Because FH got stuffed, Perryville gained all the momentum and FH never recovered. That's where the game was lost.

If you get into talking X's and O's about that Perryville game, there is a lot of frosting in the center that isn't getting discussed. AllRed summed it up pretty nicely, but yeah - not only did FH give up the mo going into the locker room, they made some critical errors in the second half in (uncharacteristically) not adjusting to what they had to have known was coming with the dump offs and screens. The coaches have to be kicking themselves for not dropping another LB/DB back into soft zone coverage underneath to spy on Sherrod.

And lest we forget QB Gabe Sherrod went on to a D1 scholarship at Delaware State and was the 5th ranked offensive stat leader for the entire state his senior year. Unfortunately for FH he picked THAT game to shine his brightest. Its not like Perryville was shabby by any means. They wanted it more.

Reminds me a lot of what FH did at Sherando this year. Amazing the amount of growth we have seen in this coaching staff over the last 7 years...they keep getting better and better.

One other thing, I think the coaches played the Alco game(s) exACTly the way they wanted to.

I'm with ARed, though...Forrestville is not Perryville. It would be a ginormous upset for the Knights to win, especially on a Friday night in Greenway in November. Anything can truly happen, but I would also be very surprised.

It would surprise the heck out of me if Fort Hill loses to Forestville in Cumberland on a Friday night in late November.

You guys are all wrong. That game was lost on the last play of the 1st half. FH had a goal to go at the 1, up 14-0. You're talking a state semi-final game. You kick a FG and go up 17-0, 3 scores. Game, set, match. Perryville never recovers. Because FH got stuffed, Perryville gained all the momentum and FH never recovered. That's where the game was lost.
I disagree completely that a field goal is guaranteed, what if it was blocked and ran back 99 yards? What if they do make it? Keyser came back from 16 at the half against fh this year, is 17 that much of a leap?
I also disagree 100 percent with the premise P'ville couldn't have scored a third time in the fourth if they needed to. If FH intercepts that pass leading 14-0 at midfield then the game is over. How many times have you seen a defense drop an interception and then the other team scores almost immediately. P'ville needed something, anything to feel they had a chance, and that interception being dropped was the catalyst, they needed a break and they got it.
As long as FH doesn't feel threatened, they'll be fine. If it's close going into the half I am not convinced they won't tighten up and go even more ultra conservative than we just saw last week.

The play that always sticks out to me about the Perryville game is the deep 4th and long pass they threw that bounced off of one of the Clays and was caught by Pville. I had a horrible feeling about the game after that.

Really?? But this is Forrestville........yes, Forrestville!!!! Count the number of times their offensive line yells, "look out" to the QB

I would have no real concerns whatsoever. Play FH football. This is a better team than last year on offense, for sure. Allegany has given FH two great tune up games and I think FH can kick ass to a title.

I disagree Lag. FH has a decent offense but last yrs. Ty Johnson lead offense was way stronger in my opinion. I think the Sentinels defense is way to underrated and they dont always get the credit that they deserve. FH has a nice balance this yr. and should do just fine.

The FH offense has balance. It's just not run / pass balance, it's inside / outside balance. FH has been a run dominated football program since the school opened 80 years ago. In short FH has 3 ball carriers this season that are extremely effective. If defenses want to take away the speed on the perimeter to prevent being gashed by big runs and scores (as we have seen with Northern and Alco) then it opens up the middle for the big fullback. If teams choose take the fullback out, then you pick getting gashed on the outside. If Forestville was scouting either FH playoff game and go by that report I would look for #2 and #20 to have a big Friday night racking up rushing numbers. It's kind of a "pick your poison" trying to stuff the FH run game.

The best defense I have seen this year at stuffing the FH ground game was Sherando. They literally had to get up on FH by 14 points before it became apparent that throwing the ball was required. The two second halfs against Alco to a degree, but it never became a situation where FH was going to need to throw the ball to win.

If a Class 1A school wishes to knock off FH at this point of the season, forget using a safety. When I saw Northern had a safety 30 yards deep on every snap, the party was over before it even could get started. Honestly, I thought the Alco safety was too deep as well. But the Campers were strong up front with very good linebackers.

Every year FH fans, including myself at times, get caught up in this "they need to throw the ball more.". Seriously? After 80 years of FH football and this still is considered a better option? LOL! Maybe it is at times, but that's not how things have ever been done on the Hill.

Last edited:
I disagree Lag. FH has a decent offense but last yrs. Ty Johnson lead offense was way stronger in my opinion. I think the Sentinels defense is way to underrated and they dont always get the credit that they deserve. FH has a nice balance this yr. and should do just fine.

Passing game this year makes the offense better. And, I think you have a better running quarterback along with the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT