ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL - CURLEY GAME CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
The Archbishop Curley vs. Fort Hill football game set for today at 3:30 has been officially cancelled. The field has been deemed unplayable. It was moved from 7:00 to 3:30 but now it is cancelled due to weather.

There currently is no make up date for the following days set. If that changes I will post it here and on FortHillFootball.net.

The MPSSAA will allow a game to be played as late as Monday when weather cancellations occur. It also is supposed to dump heavy rains all weekend in Baltimore, which would make any make up game there on Friday, Saturday or Monday still impossible given the field conditions. The only logical alternative would be to play at Greenway Avenue Stadium on Monday evening. But I don't think that is a workable option for Curley right now. And that is nothing more than me speculating.

Last edited:
How does that effect FH's playoff picture? Would it be harder to get in playoffs

Impossible to say at this time. Wont know for sure until after the season is over.

It depends on how many wins Curley gets moving forward and if Ft Hill would have won the game or not.

If FH has a 9 game schedule, all point totals get divided by 9 instead of 10. So not playing the Curley game really does not hurt or help FH in terms of points unless you consider that FH would lose to or beat Curley. So yes, FH loses out big time in the points they would have earned if they had beaten Curley. On the other hand FH would have been in a heckuva bind had they lost to Curley. But that same formula can be applied for the South Hagerstown, Sherando, Mountain Ridge and Allegany games. Those games are all good for big point totals if Fort Hill wins any of those games. I truly believe that 6 wins gets FH in the playoffs whether they play 9 or 10 games. But that is just me guessing at other game outcomes.

Last edited:
Bottom line, if we would have beat Curley, then this means we lose out on some points that would have bumped our average up with a 10 game schedule. If we had lost to Curley, however, it would have really hurt us. This way, with the Curley game not in the mix, it just means that if we would have lost to them we benefit now because it bumps up our average with the divisor now being 9.

Last edited:
Game is still tentative as the return trip for next season, though, right? Or was I mistaken when told it was a home and home?

It will be interesting to see how this weather affects all sporting events in this part of the country through the weekend. I would not be surprised if many games are postponed or cancelled. If anyone hears of any cancellations please post them here.

The weather reports are vicious right now. Massive flooding expected along the entire eastern seaboard.

If it makes anyone feel any better it is raining heavily in NE Baltimore right now. Would not have been pretty if they attempted to play. I do hope that they take a wait and see approach to the games. It seems as if the forecast is improving as far as the track of the hurricane goes. Problem is that the 4pm to 12am time frame for Friday night appears to be when the next round of very heavy rain will be affecting the entire area.

It will be interesting to see how this weather affects all sporting events in this part of the country through the weekend. I would not be surprised if many games are postponed or cancelled. If anyone hears of any cancellations please post them here.

The weather reports are vicious right now. Massive flooding expected along the entire eastern seaboard.

As of right now:

Cancelled:

- Fort Hill at Archbishop Curley
- LaSalle College Prep (PA) at McDonogh
- Fairmont Heights at Gwynn Park
- Crossland at Largo
- Forestville Military at Friendly
- DuVal at High Point
- Oxon Hill at Surrattsville
- Central at Douglass (Prince George's)
- Potomac at Parkdale
- Bladensburg at Roosevelt
- Bowie at Laurel
- Wise at Flowers
- Suitland at Northwestern (Prince George's)

Why was the game cancelled??? Because of a little rain??? Maybe this weekend the weather will be extreme but I thought they could've played yesterday.. Anyone remember the days when football games were played in heavy rain?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT