ADVERTISEMENT

# of Alco players

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
At the Keyser game I counted 10 kids in blue uniforms on the sidelines. With 11 on the field. A total of 21 kids in uniform. Are 6 to 7 of these kids on varsity off the JV team?

So basically Alco has 14-15 juniors and seniors on the team? Wow! If true I have no idea how Alco can field a team in 3 more years based on youth league totals. They will have to cancel JV ball at the least and make varsity 9-12. I said this before and some chose not to believe me. Crazy.

Braddock has 2 varsity soccer teams in the middle school league (Braddock White and Braddock Blue) and a Jayvee team. Both varsity teams are good, they actually have more fans, more excitement and a good program...way better program ( which doesnt take much) than the Warriors. The two teams play each other tomorrow Sunday at the stadium at 12:30.

It's a shame that Alco's numbers are down. They have had a strong program for years and according to what I read on this board the future does not look good. I hope somehow, someway it turns around.

As I see schools dropping freshmen football due to numbers and cost I wonder if more and more parents are steering their kids away from football especially in light of all the concussion situations that have become evident in recent years.

Is it time for football to rethink some of what they do at the lower levels to keep the sport growing and competitive with other activities? Some high school, college and professional coaches speak of minimizing contact at the pee-wee levels by going to flag football.

My kids are older but I have talked with parents who are not fans of our current Pee-Wee system and the length of games with the A,B and C team format and staying for the entire game. Families are busier and many of them will look for activities that require less time when deciding which sports to put their kids in at a young age.

In my experience in working with kids they are overall much less durable and resilient to injury than they were 10-15 years ago. I think this may be due to kids spending less time outdoors developing strong, coordinated and fit bodies when they are young and spending more time with devices and game systems.

Going back to over the summer and the city football camps that happened. I thought that out of like the 400 kids that attended, 275 or so were from the alco system?

Braddock has 2 varsity soccer teams in the middle school league (Braddock White and Braddock Blue) and a Jayvee team. Both varsity teams are good, they actually have more fans, more excitement and a good program...way better program ( which doesnt take much) than the Warriors. The two teams play each other tomorrow Sunday at the stadium at 12:30.

Well, if anything, I guess we've identified the constituency who will fight the future HS consolidation the most.

At the Keyser game I counted 10 kids in blue uniforms on the sidelines. With 11 on the field. A total of 21 kids in uniform. Are 6 to 7 of these kids on varsity off the JV team?

So basically Alco has 14-15 juniors and seniors on the team? Wow! If true I have no idea how Alco can field a team in 3 more years based on youth league totals. They will have to cancel JV ball at the least and make varsity 9-12. I said this before and some chose not to believe me. Crazy.

Your right it looks like Alco might have to abandon it's JV program and just focus on keeping their Varsity numbers up.. Kids want to win Homecoming and play for a Championship ring even if it means they sit the bench at FH. I dont think these kids in HS today has ever seen Alco beat FH. All they have seen is FH dominate Alco and win a few State Championships. They dont know the proud tradition of Allegany football nor do they care. All they know is what they have seen with their own eyes and they want to be part of something special that FH has built. I believe the Sentinels Dominance in football the last 20yrs has alot to do with Alleganys numbers dwindling...

Your right it looks like Alco might have to abandon it's JV program and just focus on keeping their Varsity numbers up.. Kids want to win Homecoming and play for a Championship ring even if it means they sit the bench at FH. I dont think these kids in HS today has ever seen Alco beat FH. All they have seen is FH dominate Alco and win a few State Championships. They dont know the proud tradition of Allegany football nor do they care. All they know is what they have seen with their own eyes and they want to be part of something special that FH has built. I believe the Sentinels Dominance in football the last 20yrs has alot to do with Alleganys numbers dwindling...

Totally agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT