ADVERTISEMENT

MD Championship Venue

ESPN1230

Junior Varsity Reader
Sep 1, 2014
The Championship games will be at Navy-Marine Corp Stadium again in Annapolis. Do you guys like it there? I think it's nice, not as much as M&T Bank Stadium, but where do you all think it SHOULD be? I hear a lot of fans say it should be at the top seed's home field.

Navy-Marine Stadium was a good venue. Given the crowd size, I wonder why we need any large stadium. Home of top ranked team would be better.

Reactions: ESPN1230
never thought the home team should host the title game for the simple fact of could you imagine a team like southern or northern being a #1 seed and hosting with their small stadiums? It would be a disaster.
I like the game at navy more than ravens stadium because it seems like there’s more of an equal travel distance. When the game was at M&T, it was like the Cumberland school would travel 3 hours while the Baltimore school could walk to the game.

I think the kids would prefer to play in a NFL Stadium.. The fans prefer the smaller venues.. Then there are some that doesnt
care just as long as they are there...

College Park is the ideal location. As others have stated, centrally located, easy to get in & out, multiple modes of transportation can get you there. Unfortunately with UMD's move to the Big 10, everything at Maryland has become more expensive, including renting out the stadium.

We played in College Park, and it was solid in every way... even with the grass field they had back then, it was all good. Locker rooms were nice, hotels and restaurants nearby for the entire program the night before, and the parking was easy for everyone traveling from Cumberland down to the game. Plus, it's the state's flagship university. There's something about that "next step" aspect of the venue that was great.

I get playing at Ravens stadium, and went down both times Alco played there in the past few years, but it did have a different feel to it. College Park was a great overall experience, plus it's been updated since then. Only problem, like someone noted above, is that since MD's program is in the tank and their athletic department isn't profitable (most are not) they significantly increased their rates to use their venues.

That is a real shame, considering they should be a resource for the kids who are from MD and whos parents pay a lot of tax money to the university.

College Park is the ideal location. As others have stated, centrally located, easy to get in & out, multiple modes of transportation can get you there. Unfortunately with UMD's move to the Big 10, everything at Maryland has become more expensive, including renting out the stadium.
Paying an AD 500K per year to be on a "sebbatical" doesn't exactly help the bottom line much either....

I will get shot down big time on this one by the board but I'm putting it out there anyway. I think Greenway Ave. and Cumberland would be a great place for the state football championships. I base this idea on the fact that Wheeling Island Stadium and the town of Wheeling do such a fantastic job with the WV football championships. Here are the reasons:

1. Cumberland and it's bordering area's are some of the most passionate high school football fans around and would fully support this endeavor. We would get a good deal of local attendance even though most of the games would be from out of area teams.

2. Greenway Ave. is a superb high school football venue and the perfect size for this type of game. You don't get the three quarter empty feeling that you would in a college or NFL stadium. Here the fans are right on top of the action.

3. Lodging- We have numerous hotels from Rocky Gap through Cumberland onto Frostburg that would accommodate the fans from participating schools.

4. Support- I honestly believe that our community would rally around this and do whatever it takes to make it work from booster's to local businesses. This area always supports youth sports strongly.

5. Economy- What a boost it would be to our local economy. Restraunts, hotels and many other businesses would benefit from this.

Sure there is much thinking, organizing and work to be done and certainly satellite parking would be needed but it could be done and would be something very positive for our area.

I know I'm going to get it but fire away anyway.

Couldn't agree more with you my friend! But we wouldn't want the poor poor teams east of us (beyond Frederick) to have to travel so so so far up here in the sticks, it just wouldn't be right to subject them to that kind of inhumane treatment to have to travel several hours in a vehicle...........oh wait..........hasn't someone....done that for years...., sorry just thinking out loud. Can't believe you'd suggest someone else coming out "their" comfort zone to entertain a change of venue! Heck, I'd be the first to make a donation to bus some of their fans up here so no one could complain that they were at a disadvantage! Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT