ADVERTISEMENT

Is it true that coach Appel is retiring?

Morgantown Hollidaysburg either one would whip lackey. Your as full of shit as the rest of your crew. They gave FH a scare 2 years ago and now they're on alco schedule so they must be a great team. Give me a break

Where did I say Lackey was a great team? Lackey isn't a ranked team either and like you said FH barely beat them at Greenway. FH will be favored to beat them at Greenway every time, but at Lackey it's going to be a tough game - and in my opinion most likely a loss. But if you are so confident, and FH needs games, and Lackey reached out about playing, why hasn't this home and home series already been made?

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Where did I say Lackey was a great team? Lackey isn't a ranked team either and like you said FH barely beat them at Greenway. FH will be favored to beat them at Greenway every time, but at Lackey it's going to be a tough game - and in my opinion most likely a loss. But if you are so confident, and FH needs games, and Lackey reached out about playing, why hasn't this home and home series already been made?
Again. Do we even know for sure that Lackey reached out, or was it just some guy coming on here spreading bs?

I'm surprised you are even commenting on this because these are your words. Middletown contacted you looking for a game and you reached out to FH. FH didn't get back to you for 5 days, in which time Middletown got tired of waiting and moved on to another team. The question was if FH really has so much trouble trying to find games why didn't they jump on this opportunity immediately? They wouldn't have made Silver Oak or Capital Christian wait 4 or 5 days, lol. Middletown isn't a 3A or 4A power but they do have good squads just about every year and it would be a very tough game or a loss for FH.

I put the FH schedules together. Did you? You literally sound like a person trying to tell the chef what ingredients he used from 100 miles away. We have been through this half a dozen times. FH was working out a deal with Dunbar. That is who FH wanted...Dunbar, not Middletown. Dunbar chose to take Alco instead. Use your head just one time, Dunbar was a better gate, a better opponent for Cumberland. Glad you're not a promoter.

FH didn't play Lackey, they had Loyola instead, who was better. Duh!

Let me add 2+2 since you have never been involved with a football program. When you try to schedule a team, they must have the same open date. Do you understand this? Wink once for no or twice for yes.

As for who FH has decided to play or not play...there are over 100 schools nearby in MD and WV who refuse to play FH, multiple teams who have dropped the 2nd year of contracts after taking the money, many who refuse to even answer their phone for a game. So if it bothers you that FH has the right to do the same, I think I speak for the entire FH fan base when I say "Kiss their Big Red ass!"

The more successful Fort Hill football becomes, the more you cry. Please, keep crying.

I put the FH schedules together. Did you? You literally sound like a person trying to tell the chef what ingredients he used from 100 miles away. We have been through this half a dozen times. FH was working out a deal with Dunbar. That is who FH wanted...Dunbar, not Middletown. Dunbar chose to take Alco instead. Use your head just one time, Dunbar was a better gate, a better opponent for Cumberland. Glad you're not a promoter.

Let me add 2+2 since you have never been involved with a football program. When you try to schedule a team, they must have the same open date. Do you understand this? Wink once for no or twice for yes.

As for who FH has decided to play or not play...there are over 100 schools nearby in MD and WV who refuse to play FH, multiple teams who have dropped the 2nd year of contracts after taking the money, many who refuse to even answer their phone for a game. So if it bothers you that FH has the right to do the same, I think I speak for the entire FH fan base when I say "Kiss their Big Red ass!"

The more successful Fort Hill football becomes, the more you cry. Please, keep crying.
I'm with you all the way with you have to work with the teams that do pick up the phone n have open dates... but in your time making schedules for fh did you ever catch hell for putting a team on the schedule?? Or was there teams that you were told on no certain terms will we play a team... I'm just wondering, not trying to bust your balls

One thing I noticed after a few years of keeping up in here is peep get salty af!.. I a fh fan would love to see more competition on the schedule but until it happens, I will just have to root for them to win by 44 every game I guess but boy oh boy it doesn't take long b4 everyone is bringing up old shit.. f that well if so n so said.. who gives a f?? Main point fh is getting better year in and year out alco is falling fast!.. that is fact! If Todd does leave tho I feel that's only a small bump in fhs rd.. tho it is what alco will need to catch up.. hopefully they do tho and Cumberland can be the 1st town with two teams in a 1a title game...

I'm with you all the way with you have to work with the teams that do pick up the phone n have open dates... but in your time making schedules for fh did you ever catch hell for putting a team on the schedule?? Or was there teams that you were told on no certain terms will we play a team... I'm just wondering, not trying to bust your balls

I find games, it is the coaches job to say yes or no. That always will lead to issues however when a team needs 4 games and there isn't much interest. That's how I started digging into Florida. So yes, we all bicker. There isn't a coach I know at FH or any other school that wasn't leery of the playoff system...what it meant for getting into the playoffs as well as home field advantages. Now that the playoff system has changed I see schedules getting more competitive across the board. I really do.

There has always been a train of thought out there that because FH is so dominant, that they should say to heck with the playoffs and schedule teams that no one else in 1A or even few in 2A are playing. All this talk on this board for years about Dunbar, but their schedule is rarely ever better than the one FH maintains and these are obviously the two powers in 1A for a very long time now.

Just curious. Other than Baltimore, is there another town with two 1a schools?
I asked that and said Cumberland would be the only town that would really enjoy a state game with both teams In 1a... in one town i believe we're it but I'm no pro...

I find games, it is the coaches job to say yes or no. That always will lead to issues however when a team needs 4 games and there isn't much interest. That's how I started digging into Florida. So yes, we all bicker. There isn't a coach I know at FH or any other school that wasn't leery of the playoff system...what it meant for getting into the playoffs as well as home field advantages. Now that the playoff system has changed I see schedules getting more competitive across the board. I really do.

There has always been a train of thought out there that because FH is so dominant, that they should say to heck with the playoffs and schedule teams that no one else in 1A or even few in 2A are playing. All this talk on this board for years about Dunbar, but their schedule is rarely ever better than the one FH maintains and these are obviously the two powers in 1A for a very long time now.
I want to see more competition,but I also enjoy 3 home playoff games..lol.. but if I had to lose a home playoff game to see a more competitive regular season I'm all for it.. with that being said I'm not all for a schedule that keeps big red out of the playoffs... guess I just want my cake n eat it too...

As you noted, the size of the school doesn't always equal level of talent, but from my observation the level of commitment and resources a school has will ultimately result in success. FH is undoubtedly committed to football. Appel did a good job of continuing that legacy. FH has the F Club and then another booster club, The Red Huddle, solely focused on football. Many schools barely have one support organization. If you look around the state the schools that win every year - at every classification - have the best resources in terms of manpower or facilities: Wise, QO, DMass, Linganore, etc., it's no surprise why they win. FH may be an average sized team but in terms of resources they probably have the advantage over every other 1A school in the state. Other than win in a depleted 1A what has he accomplished to describe his coaching as "stellar"? What outstanding teams has FH defeated?

Every other 1A team is also playing in 1A, right? Every other team in 1A has the ability to win a title in 1A right?. Allegany, Lackey, Douglass, Dunbar, Boonsboro, hell even Mountain Ridge are all 1A schools who have dedicated football programs. Mountain Ridge has a strong booster support group and access to all the same amenities FH has. As does Allegany. Why aren't they winning titles? Or better yet, beating FH at all? Dunbar is already a proven football power...are their 1A titles irrelevant?

If you look at what Coach Appel and his crew have accomplished over the tenure of his coaching as "less than stellar," and put the success solely on a depleted 1A, then you are very obviously just trying to stir emotion based on a weak red herring argument. What I consider stellar is winning titles, leaving no question who the best team in 1A is, and being able to do so with such a consistency unrivaled by pretty much any other team in the state, regardless of classification. And with a middle of the pack sized school in the smallest classification in the state, to boot.

You're very obviously arguing just to argue.

Every other 1A team is also playing in 1A, right? Every other team in 1A has the ability to win a title in 1A right?. Allegany, Lackey, Douglass, Dunbar, Boonsboro, hell even Mountain Ridge are all 1A schools who have dedicated football programs. Mountain Ridge has a strong booster support group and access to all the same amenities FH has. As does Allegany. Why aren't they winning titles? Or better yet, beating FH at all? Dunbar is already a proven football power...are their 1A titles irrelevant?

If you look at what Coach Appel and his crew have accomplished over the tenure of his coaching as "less than stellar," and put the success solely on a depleted 1A, then you are very obviously just trying to stir emotion based on a weak red herring argument. What I consider stellar is winning titles, leaving no question who the best team in 1A is, and being able to do so with such a consistency unrivaled by pretty much any other team in the state, regardless of classification. And with a middle of the pack sized school in the smallest classification in the state, to boot.

You're very obviously arguing just to argue.

Just for the record, I'm not arguing with you or looking for an argument. You chose to address my statement, so if anyone is argumentative it's you. I also said under Appel FH has been a consistently good program, well organized, dedicated staff, the kids are motivated and work hard, and obviously they have been a 1A power for many years. But if you take balanced look at FH over the years you have to also state the other side. 1A as a classification is not good and hasn't been good for a while. Either Dunbar or FH has won 1A every year for a long time. You don't see that kind of 2 team domination in the other classifications. And FH didn't win their first titles until Dunbar went to 2A. FH has never beat Dunbar with Appel as coach, this is a fact. You used the word "stellar" which means outstanding. If your definition of "stellar" is winning 1A titles, OK that's your opinion, I can't argue with your opinion. I don't see "stellar" because they haven't defeated any outstanding teams. Appel has never scheduled another Maryland top 25 school in his tenure, this is a fact. FH decided to stop playing Martinsburg after losing 9 of the last 10 game in the series, this is a fact. They backed out a deal to play Friendship at Greenway, this is a fact. Friendship is not a power, they were 4-3 going into that game with FH. FH doesn't produce any more scholarship football players than Mountain Ridge, this is a fact. Understand you are looking at this as a fan. I tend you look at things as a journalist. If I said anything not factual please correct me.

Last edited:

First of all, you responded to this like a child. Second, I'm basing my comments on what YOU said about Middletown. This is the first time you ever said FH wanted to play Dunbar instead of Middletown. So it seems like you're just making it up as you go along. Just like when YOU said FH is producing tons of college players. We can revisit that comment in August and see if it's accurate.

Basically nothing you just stated is a surprise. I have said numerous times that there are many teams that don't want to play FH, and there are many teams that FH doesn't want to play, that seems to be the quandary every year with the schedule.
And like you've said, we've already had this discussion half a dozen times, we've talked about FH being approached by the Kickoff Classic representatives at least two years in a row and they didn't want to be involved because they may have had to play a 4A school. As I said before, if you go 12 years and haven't been able to schedule a good Maryland school it's not a coincidence, it's a policy - or just sheer incompetence. In 12 years you haven't been able to find an open date? You should be embarrassed to keep using that excuse.

And I don't really care about schools dropping contracts, that's a problem YOU and others on this board have been complaining about. I'm just saying be consistent. If YOU say Fairmont Heights is unprofessional and cowardly for breaking a deal with FH, then say FH is unprofessional and cowardly for breaking a deal with Friendship.

Last edited:

FH was working out a deal with Dunbar. That is who FH wanted...Dunbar, not Middletown. Dunbar chose to take Alco instead. Use your head just one time, Dunbar was a better gate, a better opponent for Cumberland. Glad you're not a promoter.

Suddenly..... Alco gets Dunbar for a local game.... and Wow! We hear FH wanted Dunbar all along. Sure, we read it on this forum.... Ugh like anybody believed it but the FH fandom. When has a good a opponent and a good gate ever.... ever been a prime consideration for FH?

This is old news the exact day that Dunbar was set up to play Alco. If the gate and good opponents were a consideration, try explaining FH's schedule for the last 10 years. Or better, try explaining why FH hasn't claimed to want to schedule Dunbar except the same damn day that Allegany put Dunbar on the schedule.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
First of all, you responded to this like a child. Second, I'm basing my comments on what YOU said about Middletown. This is the first time you ever said FH wanted to play Dunbar instead of Middletown. So it seems like you're just making it up as you go along. Just like when YOU said FH is producing tons of college players. We can revisit that comment in August and see if it's accurate.

Basically nothing you just stated is a surprise. I have said numerous times that there are many teams that don't want to play FH, and there are many teams that FH doesn't want to play, that seems to be the quandary every year with the schedule.
And like you've said, we've already had this discussion half a dozen times, we've talked about FH being approached by the Kickoff Classic representatives and they didn't want to be involved because they may have had to play a 4A school. As I said before, if you go 12 years and haven't been able to schedule a good Maryland school it's not a coincidence, it's a policy - or just sheer incompetence. In 12 years you haven't been able to find an open date? You should be embarrassed to keep using that excuse.

And I don't really care about schools dropping contracts, that's a problem YOU and others on this board have been complaining about. I'm just saying be consistent. If YOU say Fairmont Heights is unprofessional and cowardly for breaking a deal with FH, then say FH is unprofessional and cowardly for breaking a deal with Friendship.

Seems like people have selective memory or they figure people are too lazy to go back and pull quotes..

And like you've said, we've already had this discussion half a dozen times, we've talked about FH being approached by the Kickoff Classic representatives at least two years in a row and they didn't want to be involved because they may have had to play a 4A school. As I said before, if you go 12 years and haven't been able to schedule a good Maryland school it's not a coincidence, it's a policy - or just sheer incompetence. In 12 years you haven't been able to find an open date? You should be embarrassed to keep using that excuse.

This is the first time you ever said FH wanted to play Dunbar instead of Middletown.

As memory serves, the comment was made in this forum that FH was trying to make a deal with Dunbar but that Dunbar wanted a weaker opponent..... one of the more sour grapes comments to date. I didn't believe it then or now. If Appel wanted Dunbar during any regular season, he has had his entire career to make it happen.

"Dunbar was a better gate, a better opponent for Cumberland. Glad you're not a promoter"

I'm trying to use my head and figure how a Baltimore City school with a couple hundred kids would be a better gate than a traditional power county school that's closer in proximity? Hell you cant get a crowd at local games in the city let alone to travel 3 hrs into the mountains..

Last edited:
U"your head just one time, Dunbar was a better gate, a better opponent for Cumberland. Glad you're not a promoter"

I'm trying to use my head and figure how a Baltimore City school with a couple hundred kids would be a better gate than a traditional power county School that's closer in proximity? Hell you cant get a crowd at local games in the city let alone to travel 3 hrs into the mountains..

Sure as hell had a zillion red-jackets at the Alco/Dunbar game along with Alco fans and a general sea of locals.

Just for the record, I'm not arguing with you or looking for an argument. You chose to address my statement, so if anyone is argumentative it's you. I also said under Appel FH has been a consistently good program, well organized, dedicated staff, the kids are motivated and work hard, and obviously they have been a 1A power for many years. But if you take balanced look at FH over the years you have to also state the other side. 1A as a classification is not good and hasn't been good for a while. Either Dunbar or FH has won 1A every year for a long time. You don't see that kind of 2 team domination in the other classifications. And FH didn't win their first titles until Dunbar went to 2A. FH has never beat Dunbar with Appel as coach, this is a fact. You used the word "stellar" which means outstanding. If your definition of "stellar" is winning 1A titles, OK that's your opinion, I can't argue with your opinion. I don't see "stellar" because they haven't defeated any outstanding teams. Appel has never scheduled another Maryland top 25 school in his tenure, this is a fact. FH decided to stop playing Martinsburg after losing 9 of the last 10 game in the series, this is a fact. They backed out a deal to play Friendship at Greenway, this is a fact. Friendship is not a power, they were 4-3 going into that game with FH. FH doesn't produce any more scholarship football players than Mountain Ridge, this is a fact. Understand you are looking at this as a fan. I tend you look at things as a journalist. If I said anything not factual please correct me.
Friendship may not be a power in your eyes iwas at that game. What i saw was hell of good football team with allot of speed and size. 4 and 3 wouldn't be to bad considering their schedule.

Dematha Hun Archbishop Spalding are the 3 losses you speak of every body else they pretty much destroyed

"Dunbar was a better gate, a better opponent for Cumberland. Glad you're not a promoter"

I'm trying to use my head and figure how a Baltimore City school with a couple hundred kids would be a better gate than a traditional power county school that's closer in proximity? Hell you cant get a crowd at local games in the city let alone to travel 3 hrs into the mountains..

FH vs. Dunbar or FH vs. some nearby county school
I know what fight I'm going to see.

I don't know of any local high schools that schedule games based on how many fans the opposing team will bring. As we found out with Morgantown and their 10 fans in attendance. But FH vs. Dunbar isn't just about filling a stadium. If I have to explain why that is so then never mind. Isn't that usually a prelude to a championship or something? LOL

No, I don’t think Dunbar travelled well, but there were a lot of fans neutral fans attending so there was a good crowd

Reactions: bigsavage
No, I don’t think Dunbar travelled well, but there were a lot of fans neutral fans attending so there was a good crowd
The problem with last years was the weather never cooperated. Games like Morgantown, Loyola, hollidaysburg, mountain ridge, and the southern playoff game we’re all played in driving rain storms. There’s no doubt that if it would’ve been nice out there would’ve been a few thousand people to watch those games but no one wanted to sit in rain.

Looking at the Alco football schedule for 2019, the only team on their schedule that will play FH is Lackey. The rest not. Oh and Mtn Ridge as they are mandated to do so.

The only team on the Mtn Ridge schedule that will play FH is well none of them.

Looking at the Alco football schedule for 2019, the only team on their schedule that will play FH is Lackey. The rest not. Oh and Mtn Ridge as they are mandated to do so.

The only team on the Mtn Ridge schedule that will play FH is well none of them.

Allegany, barely fielding a football team, is playing competitive opponents. In fact, they should lighten their season by dropping FH, like other smarter teams in the area have already done.

Allegany, barely fielding a football team, is playing competitive opponents. In fact, they should lighten their season by dropping FH, like other smarter teams in the area have already done.
No way bro! Cant do that (drop fort hill) I can see playing a soft schedule but to drop fh.. that's just calling it quits and next is consolidation... I dont think I'm ready to see a fake homecoming game yet?? Who we playing?..

No way bro! Cant do that (drop fort hill) I can see playing a soft schedule but to drop fh.. that's just calling it quits and next is consolidation... I dont think I'm ready to see a fake homecoming game yet?? Who we playing?..

Actually, all homecoming games should be a home game. Alco has a better historic tradition with Keyser. When they play Keyser at Greenway it can be 'homecoming' and on alternate years pick another local school for a homecoming game. Playing FH was a rivalry that used to have historic meaning because it was a 'turkey day' game between competitive teams. Then that got moved. And now, in a city the size of Cumberland the football players go to FH.

Nothing can be more fake than what exits now. How much more fakery can there be when one team has a 3A size bench all the way down to its freshman and college recruited players riding the bench. It's a fake. How much more fake can it be when one team pleads poor little 1A and virtually never loses because it schedules that way - all the while ridiculing all the local schools in either one fashion or another: either a team ain't shit because it won't play FH or it ain't shit because they lose to FH.

Call it fake or a sham. It doesn't matter. Schools should schedule for the competitive benefit of its students. Except for Allegany scheduling FH; it looks like Allegany is doing that. FH should try it once.

Last edited:
Actually, all homecoming games should be a home game. Alco has a better historic tradition with Keyser. When they play Keyser at Greenway it can be 'homecoming' and on alternate years pick another local school for a homecoming game. Playing FH was a rivalry that used to have historic meaning because it was a 'turkey day' game between competitive teams. Then that got moved. And now, in a city the size of Cumberland the football players go to FH.

Nothing can be more fake than what exits now. How much more fakery can there be when one team has a 3A size bench all the way down to its freshman and college recruited players riding the bench. It's a fake. How much more fake can it be when one team pleads poor little 1A and virtually never loses because it schedules that way - all the while ridiculing all the local schools in either one fashion or another: either a team ain't shit because it won't play FH or it ain't shit because they lose to FH.

Call it fake or a sham. It doesn't matter. Schools should schedule for the competitive benefit of its students. Except for Allegany scheduling FH; it looks like Allegany is doing that. FH should try it once.

FH has always pretty much been the dominant football program compared to Alco. Big Red has always led the head to head series. Granted though the scores the past 2 decades have grown large.

But most Alco people always wanted to point to the number of state titles as the measuring stick when FH was in a higher class. That is what you are advocating for once again. Had FH been in Alco's class since the 70's they would have racked up twice as many state titles. Just as you see now with FH finally in the same classification.

FH has always pretty much been the dominant football program compared to Alco. Big Red has always led the head to head series. Granted though the scores the past 2 decades have grown large.

But most Alco people always wanted to point to the number of state titles as the measuring stick when FH was in a higher class. That is what you are advocating for once again. Had FH been in Alco's class since the 70's they would have racked up twice as many state titles. Just as you see now with FH finally in the same classification.
Except they could only rack up one 2A title while they were there. FH couldn't win titles until it reached the lowest level of competition. So, no... FH was actually lucky to get two before reaching the Maryland equivalent of C team football. They clearly wouldn't have had more.

During The Allegany 8 State Titles I'm pretty sure they beat FH each of those years as well

Yeah, I can't be 100% certain this is accurate but it sounds pretty believable to me. Do you think FH wants to play a home and home series with Lackey? Once again, they are a small school but they produce tough squads most years. If FH travels to Lackey it's probably going to be an L. Appel hasn't scheduled a good Maryland school in his entire tenure at FH we know he didn't want this game, lol. Would FH keeps MATHS waiting? LOL

Have you ever noticed that losers constantly whine about winners. Go out and accomplish something. You will never be able to take away from what fort hill and coach Appel has done no matter how much you cry about it.

Reactions: 52 to victory
Friendship may not be a power in your eyes iwas at that game. What i saw was hell of good football team with allot of speed and size. 4 and 3 wouldn't be to bad considering their schedule.

I was at the game also. What you saw was a well-coached squad with talent and a balanced offense. Friendship, which would be classified 1A in Maryland, loaded the box against FH and stopped the run. The touchdown FH scored was through the air and it was a great call and execution. The Friendship coaching staff wasn't going to get beat over the top a second time though. In the DC area Friendship is not viewed as a power but they are definitely viewed as a good team. Every 1A school (with the exception of maybe Dunbar) that plays FH is facing superior size and speed.

Last edited:

These days the Homecoming game makes zero sense except from a traditional perspective. Alco should definitely drop FH during the regular season, most years they are still going to play in the playoffs any way. Make the playoff game a daytime game and you can still have the bands and pageantry and other Homecoming type stuff. I never understood why the Alco/FH playoff game is usually on Friday night. A day game in late November gets better weather and is better attended.

If they aren't going to stop playing, at least move the game to the first or second week of the season. The Alco/FH game to open the season on Labor Day weekend would be epic.

Last edited:
Except they could only rack up one 2A title while they were there. FH couldn't win titles until it reached the lowest level of competition. So, no... FH was actually lucky to get two before reaching the Maryland equivalent of C team football. They clearly wouldn't have had more.

FH was actually lucky

... and remains the luckiest football program in the state. FH has virtual proprietorship of all the football talent of a small city. Dory Ogle could have coached this program to a 1A state title.

These days the Homecoming game makes zero sense except from a traditional perspective. Alco should definitely drop FH during the regular season, most years they are still going to play in the playoffs any way. Make the playoff game a daytime game and you can still have the bands and pageantry and other Homecoming type stuff. I never understood why the Alco/FH playoff game is usually on Friday night. A day game in late November gets better weather and is better attended.

If they aren't going to stop playing, at least move the game to the first or second week of the season. The Alco/FH game to open the season on Labor Day weekend would be epic.

I graduated in '68 when the town was dressed in blue or red and the game meant something. Sorry, a thin bench and six Arrowettes is neither competition nor pageantry. We are beyond the concept of bragging rights for homecoming except for a few red-jackets in this forum.

I graduated in '68 when the town was dressed in blue or red and the game meant something. Sorry, a thin bench and six Arrowettes is neither competition nor pageantry. We are beyond the concept of bragging rights for homecoming except for a few red-jackets in this forum.

Agreed Alco football is irrelevant and a joke. Close it down.

Let's put it this way, if FH had played in the same class as Alco since the playoffs started the Sentinels would have the most state titles of any team in MD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT