ADVERTISEMENT

Is it true that coach Appel is retiring?

Of course we will never hear the truth, lol. But just on this message board representatives from Middletown and Lackey said they reached out to FH and didn't get a response, or the response came extremely late.

Everything Boyz types the opposite is generally the truth. Don't be a hater all your life.

Really? A 1A size school that has college recruited talent riding the bench and this forum pretty much brags about it? Cumberland is a drug addicted maelstrom and this forum dog-talks teams that no longer want to play a school that should should have been scheduling up but doesn't because of the current coach's ego.

Don't you have a dog to go kick or something? Maybe another disappearing act?

I'm gonna sound like an old-timer here (dinosaur) but an F Club member told me Apple doesn't schedule tough opponents because when he does step down he wants a higher winning pct. than FH legend Bill Hahn. He's a good coach but none of these current FH teams could beat a Coach Lattimer team from the 60's and 70's. FH was 3A equivalent in those days and never ducked anyone. If they had state playoffs during the Manges and Hare eras there would probably be 3 or 4 more banners. Not to mention Allegany was strong in those days as was LaSalle/BW.

FH is the big fish in a little pond these days. That statement is more a criticism of the decline of Allegany football than it is a slight on what Apple has built. FH is a 1A dynasty but the key there is 1A, not 2A like Allegany was in the 80's or 3A like FH was under Charlie Lattimer. So even if Apple goes out with the highest winning pct. he will still be the 3rd greatest coach in FH history (maybe 4th if you look at what Calhoun accomplished in 3A and 2A). Dang, FH has had some great coaches over the years.
We're going to put a bunch of stock into what an F Club member says. That's about as bad as saying "Oh well people from Lackey and Middletown came on here and said they called FH so it must be true". Do we even know for sure that these people know what they hell their talking about? Is this F Club member apart of assembling the schedule?

FH is still the only Cumberland team to beat dunbar in the post season.How did the title game alco played against them go.
Allegany is the only Cumberland team to beat them in the last 20 years. How has every game against Dunbar gone for FH in these current players' lifetimes?

They beat Dunbar last year?

It’s not FH’s fault that the Poets did not make the finals last year.

FH did beat the team in the finals that beat the Poets in the semi-finals.

Of course, there are posters on this board who consistently state how good Douglas of PG, Alco and Dunbar are..,

Until FH wins a state championship and then the same posters will say how down 1A is.

Last edited:

Coming from someone who took a tongue-lashing for actually scheduling one of the few competitive games FH has played in the last 10 years.... and was lucky to get by Allegany during the same time.

Allegany is the only Cumberland team to beat them in the last 20 years. How has every game against Dunbar gone for FH in these current players' lifetimes?

FH couldn't beat Dunbar.... Hell, couldn't beat the spread.

This may be the biggest off line Coach Appel ever had. They only lose 1 starter from last year and average about 250 lbs per man. They go 9 deep on the OL. Give Appel and his wing t set all this and that's all I need to know. Saw them doing agility drills the other day and was holy crap don't mess with any of these dudes. MAMMOTH. Let's roll!!!!

As Al Bundy used to say - FH does have some bigguns up front.

FH couldn't beat Dunbar.... Hell, couldn't beat the spread.
Ooo wow, you beat the poets 1st game of your pathetic year. Lag man up, u bash big red up one side and down the other because ur candy ass campers will never hold a candle to the big red now nor never. Bash the schedule all you want. You make me laugh at your posts. Go cry on Hansels shoulder. Can’t beat the spread, I think we did a damn good job against Douglass, on but wait, them beating Dunbar was a fluke right, they weren’t a ligit team, fluke they made it. Keep knocking, cause your campers will never make it out of the West. But maybe if the 2 schools combine, than u will have quality players and coach’s from the red to reserict the blue to have a taste what winning is

I'm sorry. I thought was all about 'the making of the man' not the kicking the shit out of some little teams like a playground bully.

LOL! The argument used to be, "Fort Hill doesn't play a tough enough schedule. That's why they can't win in the playoffs." Now after they have made the finals for six consecutive years, winning five times, "Fort Hill needs to schedule above 1A and play tougher competition." Why?.....The goal is to win the 1A title. They have done that. They have had home field throughout this run so the teams they have beaten have won games. I'm sure Coach Appel and his staff will not lose one second's sleep that the schedule doesn't live up to yours or Boyz standards.

Reactions: 52 to victory
LOL! The argument used to be, "Fort Hill doesn't play a tough enough schedule. That's why they can't win in the playoffs." Now after they have made the finals for six consecutive years, winning five times, "Fort Hill needs to schedule above 1A and play tougher competition." Why?.....The goal is to win the 1A title. They have done that. They have had home field throughout this run so the teams they have beaten have won games. I'm sure Coach Appel and his staff will not lose one second's sleep that the schedule doesn't live up to yours or Boyz standards.
Like I said before, combine schools, bring the red talent and coach’s, then the blue will have a taste of winning, until then not gonna happen,

We're going to put a bunch of stock into what an F Club member says. That's about as bad as saying "Oh well people from Lackey and Middletown came on here and said they called FH so it must be true". Do we even know for sure that these people know what they hell their talking about? Is this F Club member apart of assembling the schedule?
Hear say, pissed off alpo fans has there Suzy hurt cause they can’t beat the red.

Of course, there are posters on this board who consistently state how good Douglas of PG, Alco and Dunbar are..,

Until FH wins a state championship and then the same posters will say how down 1A is.
Cry baby alpo fans, boys and girls of the blue, both schools
Coming from someone who took a tongue-lashing for actually scheduling one of the few competitive games FH has played in the last 10 years.... and was lucky to get by Allegany during the same time.
and alpo plays a competitive schedule.? Where and when. Wow Dunbar, most competitive in 10 years. Now lackey this year, but I’ll beat a stadium pizza u get blanked down there. So who else, Calvert? Wow power house there, boonsboro.? Hmmmm top 50 USA Today, wasn’t little ole Towson in there to. Top notch schedule. Should I go on?

Lag, why should we schedule up? Why don’t u look at Bridgeport’s schedule, they are 2a, u dont see them scheduling cabal midland, capital, Charleston,Parkersburg’s. They play at there level. So Fort Hill, playing the schedule they have and success what’s wrong with it. Your just pissed because ur little blue can’t compete and you wish week end and week out the Red will sink. Lackey 45 alpo 7. But u will say Lackey is ligit, they would put it toFH.

Snow hill,lolololol
Ooo wow, you beat the poets 1st game of your pathetic year. Lag man up, u bash big red up one side and down the other because ur candy ass campers will never hold a candle to the big red now nor never. Bash the schedule all you want. You make me laugh at your posts. Go cry on Hansels shoulder. Can’t beat the spread, I think we did a damn good job against Douglass, on but wait, them beating Dunbar was a fluke right, they weren’t a ligit team, fluke they made it. Keep knocking, cause your campers will never make it out of the West. But maybe if the 2 schools combine, than u will have quality players and coach’s from the red to reserict the blue to have a taste what winning is
Douglass.... bwaaaaahahahahaha!

Snow hill,lolololol
The same snow hill, that oh.... I don't know... beat Dunbar in the semifinals? Strange how Douglass is a good team for beating Dunbar in the semis, but snow hill isn't. But then I wouldn't expect a FH grad to be unable to understand little sense they make to the rest of the world.

Christ even snow hill has managed to do something FH can't this millennia

Does it matter, wow 1 big win in 20 years, golf claps, how many homecoming wins and states last 20 years for alco haha
Does homecoming matter? How good can you really be when you insist on comparing yourself to a school you say sucks?

Wow! You got the kettle (Bwaaahahahahaha!). I guess for people in South End, it's the only pot they got to piss in, lol

I've always said play somebody, and they do like maybe two teams a year.. hopefully with the new playoff system we will see fh play 4 teams(that might compete) a year now.. playoffs tho fh can only play who's in 1a, cant hate em for that.. but apple would probably need a few more seasons with a more competitive schedule to be remembered "as the greatest" coach in fh history.. that says alot bout the coach that has won 5 out of 6 1a titles... imo its does seem like the schedule got weaker year after year as the team got better and better.. I think that had alot to do with apple's ego and that winning percentage... all glory goes to God.. until fh loses, then it's that dang mpssaa.. or bash the kid with bad grades ( which he saved fhs ass vs lackey) that ish just doesn't look good when your talking greatest ever... but with that said it still fah-q go big red...

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Does homecoming matter? How good can you really be when you insist on comparing yourself to a school you say sucks?

Wow! You got the kettle (Bwaaahahahahaha!). I guess for people in South End, it's the only pot they got to piss in, lol
That's a low blow to a bunch of kids... being poor isn't their fault.. and how Cumberland is looking it might be the only pot we're all pissing in...

I've always said play somebody, and they do like maybe two teams a year.. hopefully with the new playoff system we will see fh play 4 teams(that might compete) a year now.. playoffs tho fh can only play who's in 1a, cant hate em for that.. but apple would probably need a few more seasons with a more competitive schedule to be remembered "as the greatest" coach in fh history.. that says alot bout the coach that has won 5 out of 6 1a titles... imo its does seem like the schedule got weaker year after year as the team got better and better.. I think that had alot to do with apple's ego and that winning percentage... all glory goes to God.. until fh loses, then it's that dang mpssaa.. or bash the kid with bad grades ( which he saved fhs ass vs lackey) that ish just doesn't look good when your talking greatest ever... but with that said it still fah-q go big red...
I don't really think the schedule has changed much other than the anomaly in 2017 with MCC and Friendship. Throughout the entire run the Strength of Schedule has stayed the same. FH plays around 3 or 4 teams every year that can give them a game and that's about it.

Does it matter, wow 1 big win in 20 years, golf claps, how many homecoming wins and states last 20 years for alco haha

Rejuvenated pride and emotion on the board is exactly what we needed here to get the preseason juices flowing. Good stuff man! Love the energy.

Just for the record, in one season alone (in the past 20 years.. barely lol) our crew did beat FH 3 times in 4 years (y'all put a beatdown on us in 2000), took down Elkton, then won a state title against Oakland Mills who had a "ligit" squad, as you'd say. Dunbar was down that year from what I remember, but Elkton was for real.

Now that the non-important credentials are out of the way, the premise of your anger is 100% justified because Alco hasn't done much at all against FH since Appel has taken over. And while more than just certain Alco people complain about FH's schedule, I've said it more than once before: FH SCHEDULES JUST FINE, PEOPLE.

Frankly, given the fact that a lot of schools don't want to play them along with bigger schools actually being disincentivized to play them... I think Todd puts together a really good schedule for the Sentinels. They have very limited options when you break it down to who will play them vs. who can't and/or won't play them.

Plus, like I've also said maybe 30 times, FH always cruises through the playoffs against whoever they're seeded to play. If FH was weak and/or anyone else in 1A was tough, then FH would lose in the playoffs. Or in the state title game. Other than two years ago when they were out-coached and out-athleted, they've handled everyone. That alone pretty much negates any complaining about FH's schedule.

Another non-issue finally laid to rest. What's next.... consolidation? Politics? Abortion? I'll let you guys decide.

Reactions: RedPride97

Who said Douglass, Alco or Dunbar were good teams? None of these three were ranked at all last year. Several people said Dunbar wasn't a good team last year.

Reactions: OneRing
Everything Boyz types the opposite is generally the truth. Don't be a hater all your life.

I'm surprised you are even commenting on this because these are your words. Middletown contacted you looking for a game and you reached out to FH. FH didn't get back to you for 5 days, in which time Middletown got tired of waiting and moved on to another team. The question was if FH really has so much trouble trying to find games why didn't they jump on this opportunity immediately? They wouldn't have made Silver Oak or Capital Christian wait 4 or 5 days, lol. Middletown isn't a 3A or 4A power but they do have good squads just about every year and it would be a very tough game or a loss for FH.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
As you stated, “...we will never hear the truth.” However, you follow that up with “...representatives from Middletown and Lackey said...”

Based on anonymous posters, how do you know with 100% certainty their statements were accurate?

Yeah, I can't be 100% certain this is accurate but it sounds pretty believable to me. Do you think FH wants to play a home and home series with Lackey? Once again, they are a small school but they produce tough squads most years. If FH travels to Lackey it's probably going to be an L. Appel hasn't scheduled a good Maryland school in his entire tenure at FH we know he didn't want this game, lol. Would FH keeps MATHS waiting? LOL

Reactions: OneRing
Yeah, I can't be 100% certain this is accurate but it sounds pretty believable to me. Do you think FH wants to play a home and home series with Lackey? Once again, they are a small school but they produce tough squads most years. If FH travels to Lackey it's probably going to be an L. Appel hasn't scheduled a good Maryland school in his entire tenure at FH we know he didn't want this game, lol. Would FH keeps MATHS waiting? LOL

Morgantown Hollidaysburg either one would whip lackey. Your as full of shit as the rest of your crew. They gave FH a scare 2 years ago and now they're on alco schedule so they must be a great team. Give me a break

Rejuvenated pride and emotion on the board is exactly what we needed here to get the preseason juices flowing. Good stuff man! Love the energy.

Just for the record, in one season alone (in the past 20 years.. barely lol) our crew did beat FH 3 times in 4 years (y'all put a beatdown on us in 2000), took down Elkton, then won a state title against Oakland Mills who had a "ligit" squad, as you'd say. Dunbar was down that year from what I remember, but Elkton was for real.

Now that the non-important credentials are out of the way, the premise of your anger is 100% justified because Alco hasn't done much at all against FH since Appel has taken over. And while more than just certain Alco people complain about FH's schedule, I've said it more than once before: FH SCHEDULES JUST FINE, PEOPLE.

Frankly, given the fact that a lot of schools don't want to play them along with bigger schools actually being disincentivized to play them... I think Todd puts together a really good schedule for the Sentinels. They have very limited options when you break it down to who will play them vs. who can't and/or won't play them.

Plus, like I've also said maybe 30 times, FH always cruises through the playoffs against whoever they're seeded to play. If FH was weak and/or anyone else in 1A was tough, then FH would lose in the playoffs. Or in the state title game. Other than two years ago when they were out-coached and out-athleted, they've handled everyone. That alone pretty much negates any complaining about FH's schedule.

Another non-issue finally laid to rest. What's next.... consolidation? Politics? Abortion? I'll let you guys decide.
2017 was awesome... friendship loss or not.. like to see more games like that... see some of them playoff teams in the regular season... that's my only pick... and hopefully with the playoffs being somewhat fixed we will see more games like that mcc game at greenway

Reactions: RedPride97
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT