ADVERTISEMENT

Ideal football schedule

*Teams a 1A powerhouse team should play.

I think you would admit that Hancock, Southern, Northern, Clear Spring, and most other 1A teams should not be playing the same schedule as FH, or vice versa.

This years schedule was great for FH. Last years schedule was great for FH.

Next year, at least 3 of those games are gone including Oakdale and Old Mill. Two good, strong, playoff caliber BIGGER schools. I'm only saying I certainly hope FH replaces those good strong, playoff caliber programs with equally good strong playoff caliber competition. A schedule downgrade, or a "more appropriate 1A schedule" as you allude to, would be awful. I fully believe that this years good schedule, the loss to MR, the tough homecoming game were far more valuable to reclaiming another championship than the drubbings of Southern, Northern, Smithsburg were. And hey, as long as there are some tough teams along the way those drubbings can be tolerated. But adding more expected blowouts cannot. Hollidaysburg was not an expected blowout, they are usually competitive, sometimes you cant help it. Oakdale wasn't really a close game, but they still scored more points against FH's great defense than anyone other than Ridge, so it was a challenge and a good test.

I'll finalize my debate with a reiteration - as more and more good teams keep ending their series' with FH, its imperative that they dont lose the momentum they gain from playing these stronger schedules. A loss is not the end of a season, and as shown this year you can still keep home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a loss. The last thing the program needs right now, while it's still strong, is any type of downgrade. It doesnt have to be the Bulldogs. It doesnt have to be 3 4A powerhouses in a row. Just don't slide backwards now on scheduling. I dont see how ANYone can really argue that.

In a world where the scheduling issues of today didn't exist what would be the ideal realistic schedule for the school you support be?

For FH I'd go with:
Allegany
Keyser
Mtn Ridge
Northern
Southern
Sherando
Martinsburg/Musselman
Morgantown/Bridgeport
Linganore/Middletown/TJ

All regional games, different looks to prepare for you could obviously switch a lot of these out for other but just something I thought about given recent discussions.

Sorry if this is a bit of a late response on this topic, here are my thoughts for Northern, I'm going to start with this year's schedule:
Fort Hill
Albert Gallatin
Mt. Union
Frankfort
Keyser
Petersburg
Mountain Ridge
Allegany
Southern

Honestly that was a brutal schedule for a school of Northern's size, I don't see how anyone can make a negative remark for them playing that schedule, that being said, I don't see Northern being able to keep up with that type of schedule year in year out, yeah it'd be great if they had the numbers and the ability to reload instead of rebuild like other schools in the region do; but lets be honest 7 or 8 years out 10 years they end with the same 4-5 record or worse. Most years FH, Keyser and Alco are sure losses, although they did beat Keyser in 21 and they have beaten Alco twice in the 20 years they've played. So you spot them 3 losses and the other 6 games could be toss ups, I don't see Mt. Union as a long term option, I think they were all they could get this year for that week. Albert Gallatin I don't see as a long term option either. If they play another couple years OK, but I don't see them still on the schedule 5 or 10 years from now. Frankfort & Mountain Ridge are probably the most competitive games, although the last 2 years MR has dominated, overall it is a good series. Petersburg has traditionally been a good series for NHS, glad to see them back on the schedule. Southern is what it is, if you look historically at this rivalry it has never really been competitive, it's been lopsided one way or another, for many years it was Southern winning big with Northern getting a game in every couple years, now it's the opposite. I'd love to go back to the early 90's when they played some good competitive games.

What do I feel is realistic for Northern: I understand from the WV board that Keyser is off the schedule, like I said before replace Mt. Union and Albert Gallatin with either Washington County teams or some of the WV Class A teams from the eastern panhandle, some Northern has had a history with (my personal preference in order would be Tucker County, Moorefield, East Hardy, Smithsburg, Clear Spring or even Berkeley Springs).

So you'd end up with:
Fort Hill
Frankfort
Petersburg
Mountain Ridge
Allegany
Southern

3 other games consisting of:
Tucker County
Moorefield
East Hardy
Smithsburg
Clear Spring
Berkeley Springs
Pendleton County

While not likely to happen, I would really love to see NHS pick up some teams from Somerset County (PA) like Meyersdale, Berlin, NorthStar. They had some really good rivalries with Meyersdale & Berlin in the early days of Northern's football history, those rivalries ended in the 80's unfortunately. I think due to PA mostly playing internal schedules with very few open dates and then getting what open dates they have to match, it makes it impossible, but man if you were talking a fantasy schedule those would be 3 I'd love to see Northern schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT