ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill Schedule

Tony54

All State Poster
Nov 17, 2018
Just Dreaming

1. Riverheads. Va
Two of the most successful small school programs in the country. Not too far away and both run the wing T. The hype around this game could be built up even bigger than the Melbourne Catholic game!!
Champion vs Champion!

2 Sherando Va
That game at Sherando was one of the very best games I’ve ever seen!

3. Parkersburg South.
Big red versus big reds

4 Walkersville and Middletown
Good small school programs not too far away.

5. Bridgeport or Martinsburg Wv
two great programs.

Any two of these programs on the schedule would be amazing. I have no delusions for the harsh realities of the schedule making job😂

Last edited:
As long as ——is doing the schedule you’ll never see it. He always says they won’t play us

There’s not much in it for teams to take a loss against a 1a school. it’s just a list for fun!

Since Mtn. Ridge is now on Fort Hill football level why can't they play the "wishful" schedule?

• Haha
Reactions: Dwj21
Since Mtn. Ridge is now on Fort Hill football level why can't they play the "wishful" schedule?
I personally do not think that Mountain Ridge is at Fort Hills level. I believe they are coached extremely well. They were a fantastic blocking and tackling team this year with an outstanding quarterback. The quarterback and many of their outstanding lineman graduated. On top of that the JV team struggled this season. Fort hill just continues to reload year after year. I do believe they will be very good this year also but so will Alco. just my opinion.

Just Dreaming

1. Riverheads. Va
Two of the most successful small school programs in the country. Not too far away and both run the wing T. The hype around this game could be built up even bigger than the Melbourne Catholic game!!
Champion vs Champion!

2 Sherando Va
That game at Sherando was one of the very best games I’ve ever seen!

3. Parkersburg South.
Big red versus big reds

4 Walkersville and Middletown
Good small school programs not too far away.

5. Bridgeport or Martinsburg Wv
two great programs.

Any two of these programs on the schedule would be amazing. I have no delusions for the harsh realities of the schedule making job😂
Maybe Bridgeport will be coming to the Queen City Quad ;)

Last edited:
Middletown was always a dream match up to me back when they were always the 2a champs and fort Hill was winning 1a

I really think that it hurt Fort Hills chances of picking up quality opponents when everybody saw us spanking Oakdale
It’s just so stupid to me though

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Oakdale is OFF the Fort Hill schedule. The Bears picked up Alco.

Fort Hill replaced Oakdale on Week 5 with Briar Woods out of Ashburn, VA. Two year deal - first year in 2023 at Briar Woods. Friday night at 7:00.

Fort Hill still needing games for Week 2 (Old Mill) and Week 7 (Smithsburg). Nothing new to the FH schedule process. When you post a 102-5 record the past decade with 7 state titles this is the deal.

Last edited:
Oakdale is OFF the Fort Hill schedule. The Bears picked up Alco.

Fort Hill replaced Oakdale on Week 5 with Briar Woods out of Ashburn, VA. Two year deal - first year in 2023 at Briar Woods. Friday night at 7:00.

Fort Hill still needing games for Week 2 (Old Mill) and Week 7 (Smithsburg). Nothing new to the FH schedule process. When you post a 102-5 record the past decade with 7 state titles this is the deal.

We here in NoVa appreciate the opportunity to support the Sentinels in Ashburn next fall. Hopefully this opens up some future scheduling opportunities with Loudoun's other 4A/5A schools as well. Nice pick up.

Reactions: ravemwp
In doing some research, first impressions of Briar Woods is that they may be a better version of New Oxford. NFL QB Trace McSorley is a BW allum, he started as a freshman. Led them to three consecutive state titles in 2010, 11 and 12. They lost in the finals in 2013. Since then, they have been up and down. 7-4 last season with a first round loss in the playoffs with what was described as a young team (Soph QB threw for 17 tds last season). Head coach Michael Burnett will be in his 2nd year. Burnett, who in a video I saw actually looks a little like Coach Alkire, has an impressive resume. Has won two state titles and been to the championship game two other times. Pictures of their stadium look very similar to NO's. Turf field. NOVA plays good football so I'm already looking forward to this matchup.

Last edited:
Reactions: ravemwp and Tony54
Briar Woods Season ended in the Playoffs with a 28-17 Loss to Patrick Henry VA who is Coached by former Moorefield and Glenville State Head Coach Alan Fiddler

Reactions: cumbfanatic
FH completes football schedule, picks up Wadsworth HS out of Ohio located on the west side of Akron. Will be at Greenway on Oct 14. Saturday 1:00 game.

Wadworth will be yet another school with over 1600 students. They posted a 7-5 record last year playing an Ohio big boy schedule. CalPreps has them beating FH by 11 points last fall. This now makes a grindstone run for the Sentinels starting in Week 5 that includes: Briar Woods, Mountain Ridge, Wadsworth, New Oxford, Alco.

That is a tough grindstone for any small ball team. Staying healthy for a playoff run will be difficult.

Nice. Frederick got a lot of hype last year. People were very surprised when Oakdale beat them in the playoffs. That will be an interesting game with mountain Ridge

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Nice. Frederick got a lot of hype last year. People were very surprised when Oakdale beat them in the playoffs. That will be an interesting game with mountain Ridge
Frederick won big against Oakdale a few weeks before the playoff game. They had a good year, I believe the playoff loss to Oakdale was their only loss on the season.

Reactions: Tony54
They are excited. I've already watched a couple of their 2022 games. They had a good mix of Sr's and Jr's. They run the gun and they pass the ball very well. But you can't sell out on the pass, #28, who was a junior this year, is a beast in the backfield. He has decent size and loves the contact. The O line is huge and can move, the D was smaller in size, but quick to the ball and they all seemed to tackle well. This is one to mark on your calendar.

Frederick won big against Oakdale a few weeks before the playoff game. They had a good year, I believe the playoff loss to Oakdale was their only loss on the season.

I honestly think Frederick would have matched up better than Oakdale against Damascus. Frederick loses a lot and will have a new head coach. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the success. JV went 3-6 this year so I have my doubts.

Looks like Wasdworth has a hood program with a good following. Also, appears they have difficulty getting games as does FH. I thought I read the team is joining their conference in every sport except football

Looks like Wasdworth has a hood program with a good following. Also, appears they have difficulty getting games as does FH. I thought I read the team is joining their conference in every sport except football
This season. For whatever reason, Ohio is not letting them participate in conference play in 2023 for football. But is allowing them to participate in all other sports.

I don't know the details with Wadsworth and their conference. FH approached Wadsworth because they had a post on the OHSAA open dates board and they were just under 4 hours away, which for being in Ohio isn't that far. There were financial offers back and forth trying to make it work. FH was offered a decent amount to go there actually. But the price of a bus and a hotel would have been costly. And FH did not want to drive 4 hours, play a game, then drive back 4 hours. Not for a regular season game anyway when there could maybe be another option.

There are aspects to schedule making most people do not understand. When you have multiple dates open every year like FH - they had 3 holes to fill for 2023 - the worst thing you can do is start adding powerhouse programs before you have landed someone that doesn't overload the schedule. In other words, if you add Wadsworth and still need two other games, you then are left being picky with few teams to be picky from.

At one point I was working to get a game with Benedictine out of Richmond - a very tough private school. At the same time we had Wadsworth as an option. Adding both after just landing Briar Woods is overload for a Class 1A program. Not so much from an "everybody makes the playoffs" viewpoint. But definitely from a small ball staying healthy grindstone viewpoint. I think once FH landed Coolidge, the pressure to fill the Oct 13 opening was less stress. So they gave Wadsworth the option of coming here as the only option and they took it. They seemed to be in dire need of a game. If they would have said no thanks FH would have looked elsewhere. None of this is easy.

Six games at Greenway and a personal feeling none of the games from Week 4 Hollidaysburg to an improving Alco program at Homecoming will be running clocks. FYI, Hollidaysburg only loses one or two starters from last year. Expect them to be a tough out for both Cumberland schools.

The coaches I have talked with and who have watched Wadsworth play full games live and on video state this will easily be the toughest team on the 2023 schedule. Likely the best team to visit the stadium since Cathedral Prep. No, I don't think they are at the Cathedral Prep level but a great game to watch. I expect a doozie. They are an Ohio school with over 1600 kids and they take football very seriously.

There are fans who will always cry about who FH didn't pick up from fans of over 100 teams who want nothing to do with FH. Bottom line...no team exists in Class 1A, Class 1A/2A, Class 2A and most of Class 3A who would schedule Wadsworth except FH, Dunbar, Douglass-PG and possibly Potomac.

Last edited:
I don't know the details with Wadsworth and their conference. FH approached Wadsworth because they had a post on the OHSAA open dates board and they were just under 4 hours away, which for being in Ohio isn't that far. There were financial offers back and forth trying to make it work. FH was offered a decent amount to go there actually. But the cost of a bus and a hotel was not fully covered in that offer. And FH did not want to drive 4 hours, play a game, then drive back 4 hours. Not for a regular season game anyway when there could maybe be another option.

There are aspects to schedule making most people do not understand. When you have multiple dates open every year like FH - they had 3 holes to fill for 2023 - the worst thing you can do is start adding powerhouse programs before you have landed someone that doesn't overload the schedule. In other words, if you add Wadsworth and still need two other games, you then are left being picky with few teams to be picky from.

At one point I was working to get a game with Benedictine out of Richmond - a very tough private school. At the same time we had Wadsworth as an option. Adding both after just landing Briar Woods is overload for a Class 1A program. Not so much from an "everybody makes the playoffs" viewpoint. But definitely from a small ball staying healthy grindstone viewpoint. I think once FH landed Coolidge, the pressure to fill the Oct 13 opening was less stress. So they gave Wadsworth the option of coming here as the only option and they took it. They seemed to be in dire need of a game. If they would have said no thanks FH would have looked elsewhere. None of this is easy.

Six games at Greenway and a personal feeling none of the games from Week 4 Hollidaysburg to an improving Alco program at Homecoming will be running clocks. FYI, Hollidaysburg only loses one or two starters from last year. Expect them to be a tough out for both Cumberland schools.

The coaches I have talked with and who have watched Wadsworth play full games live and on video state this will easily be the toughest team on the 2023 schedule. Likely the best team to visit the stadium since Cathedral Prep. No, I don't think they are at the Cathedral Prep level but a great game to watch. I expect a doozie. They are an Ohio school with over 1600 kids and they take football very seriously.

Nice post Todd. And if you listen to the games on YouTube and hear their fight song, it's the Ohio State Buckeyes fight song....they do take things seriously.

Judging by the responses on their Facebook page, they are very excited about coming here. The post on their Twitter page about the game has almost 2500 views. If the weather is decent, I'm thinking they will bring a good crowd despite the distance.

That's asking a lot, but I hope you're right. If they do, it will be a sea of red at the stadium that night, that's for sure!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT