ADVERTISEMENT

Ideal football schedule

loco09

All County Poster
Jul 11, 2018
In a world where the scheduling issues of today didn't exist what would be the ideal realistic schedule for the school you support be?

For FH I'd go with:
Allegany
Keyser
Mtn Ridge
Northern
Southern
Sherando
Martinsburg/Musselman
Morgantown/Bridgeport
Linganore/Middletown/TJ

All regional games, different looks to prepare for you could obviously switch a lot of these out for other but just something I thought about given recent discussions.

In a world where the scheduling issues of today didn't exist what would be the ideal realistic schedule for the school you support be?

For FH I'd go with:
Allegany
Keyser
Mtn Ridge
Northern
Southern
Sherando
Martinsburg/Musselman
Morgantown/Bridgeport
Linganore/Middletown/TJ

All regional games, different looks to prepare for you could obviously switch a lot of these out for other but just something I thought about given recent discussions.
7 of those teams won't play FH. That is the reality.
Sherando was set to play FH next year on a 2 year deal but it fell through due to new VHSL regional alignments. That one hurts.

Sherando was set to play FH next year on a 2 year deal but it fell through due to new VHSL regional alignments. That one hurts.
Why won't they play FH? Never mind I'll answer my own question. Nobody wants to schedule a possible loss. Seems to me that we are going in a direction of half the teams being 9-0 or 8-1, and the other half of the teams being 0-9 or 1-8. Shame on high school coaches or ADs for not challenging their student athletes, or allowing them to challenge themselves.

Last edited:
All this schedule talk is ridiculous. The new playoff system does allow you to play more difficult games.

It doesn’t make a school like Northern, Southern, Williamsport, Boonsboro, S Hagerstown, N Hagerstown, Catoctin, Smithsburg, Brunswick, Frederick, Middletown, Urbana, Etc… more apt to schedule Fort Hill. Southern and Northern are only playing them because they have to. I am sure that Southern especially, would like to replace Mountain Ridge and Fort Hill on their schedule right now with a more competitive school.

The MPSSAA going to these six classifications has completely ruined football. As with everything in life, it is all about the almighty dollar.

I am extremely happy with the current Mountain Ridge schedule. The games against Catoctin, Smithsburg and Williamsport are all inner changeable with other Washington and Frederick county schools if need be. It is a shame that those same schools won’t man up and play Fort Hill also.

Those sherando games were great!

All this schedule talk is ridiculous. The new playoff system does allow you to play more difficult games.
Only on paper though. In practice it actually seems to dissuade teams from playing better teams.

The less teams that make the playoffs... the more points you need to qualify. When it was 8 teams, you had to play some good teams to get those points. A team that went 9-1 on an easy schedule would miss out to a 7-3 team that got wins over quality teams.

In 97 or 98 I think Dunbar made it in at 6-4 because they played a stacked schedule.

Going to 16 and now open means you don't have to worry about points at all.

Only on paper though. In practice it actually seems to dissuade teams from playing better teams.

The less teams that make the playoffs... the more points you need to qualify. When it was 8 teams, you had to play some good teams to get those points. A team that went 9-1 on an easy schedule would miss out to a 7-3 team that got wins over quality teams.

In 97 or 98 I think Dunbar made it in at 6-4 because they played a stacked schedule.

Going to 16 and now open means you don't have to worry about points at all.

Dunbar made it in with that record because their region was weak, not because their schedule was any tougher.

yeah you don't have to play great teams, you have to play bigger schools that also get wins...
if FH would played Frankfort they would of got the same amount of points as if they would of played and beat Martinsburg.

I don’t think anyone cares about points. Everyone makes the playoffs. If you want people to come back to the stadium you have to play good teams. nobody wants to see fort hill beat green street 72-0 to except the parents of the players.

Dunbar made it in with that record because their region was weak, not because their schedule was any tougher.
That is accurate.

At the same time, Dunbar has had FH’s #, regardless of how weak their region is in football.

Again, there is significant disparity in regions in all sports. At least in football there is reseeding by the quarter finals. 😊

I don’t think anyone cares about points. Everyone makes the playoffs. If you want people to come back to the stadium you have to play good teams. nobody wants to see fort hill beat green street 72-0 to except the parents of the players.
As long as playoff seeding is determined by points then that’s what the coaches will care about. It’s been talked about in just about every other thread at this point but now it’s about scheduling for home field advantage.

Playing good teams doesn’t mean that it’ll be a big draw. The last great crowd at the stadium was for the florida game and that was played on a Saturday night when every other team in the area was off and in damn near perfect weather. FH has played the likes of oakdale, old mill, Morgantown, and hollidaysburg to name a few. All are decent- good teams at the time and the crowds were all duds. Being a good team doesn’t draw crowds, the team name does. Regardless of how good or bad mountain ridge is you know they’re going to bring a good crowd. Same with keyser

From watching FH play one hell of a tough season a few years ago and fall to Dunbar at States, I saw first hand up close and personal what kind of a toll those young men took both physically and mentally. Not saying injuries don't happen against weaker teams, of course they do. The DC game which we lost, the Florida game, second meeting against Alco in playoffs, and a couple more tough playoff games including Dunbar final. It was like FH played 4 or 5 state title games before even getting to Annapolis. They were fried and every single starter was nowhere near 100%. Not 85% or even probably not 75%. While I get the experience is beneficial there was absolutely a toll it takes. While I agree I want to see FH play competitive games, those that think we should play powerhouse teams as if they have something to prove to fans is out of touch. Competitive yes! Just my opinion from helping those young men for multiple years. If winning championships is the goal, trust the process.

Last edited:
From watching FH play one hell of a tough season a few years ago and fall to Dunbar at States, I saw first hand up close and personal what kind of a toll those young men took both physically and mentally. Not saying injuries don't happen against weaker teams, of course they do. The DC game which we lost, the Florida game, second meeting against Alco in playoffs, and a couple more tough playoff games including Dunbar final. It was like FH played 4 or 5 state title games before even getting to Annapolis. They were fried and every single starter was nowhere near 100%. Not 85% or even probably not 75%. While I get the experience is beneficial there was absolutely a toll it takes. While I agree I want to see FH play competitive games, those that think we should play powerhouse teams as if they have something to prove to fans is out of touch. Competitive yes! Just my opinion from helping those young men for multiple years. If winning championships is the goal, trust the process.
No one is saying the whole schedule has to be powerhouse teams. But if you can schedule an Oakdale and Old Mill in the same year...you can schedule a Martinsburg in their place if those games are gone.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
No one is saying the whole schedule has to be powerhouse teams. But if you can schedule an Oakdale and Old Mill in the same year...you can schedule a Martinsburg in their place if those games are gone.
Nobody else in 1a is out trying to play teams like Martinsburg. Are there any in 2a? I don't care either way. If the coach is up for it, so be it. His call. That said I don't see the hang up with the few stuck on playing Martinsburg either. It doesn't appear any other WV teams are beating down FH's doors to play them. We have two good WV teams 30 minutes away. Crickets.

Again, I do not understand how martinsburg is responsible for other WV teams. Martinsburg cannot get other WV teams that are not obligated by conference affiliation to play Martinsburg, let alone Fort Hill.

The hang up on martinsburg is really simple imo. These are two of the absolute best programs in the region with a ton of history together that are both experiencing incredible success right now. The reason to not play is also very simple: fort hill would likely lose.

Like I said in the other thread, it’s not as if this is peculiar to fort hill. Keyser won’t play Fort Hill, Fort Hill won’t play Martinsburg, Martinsburg won’t play Dematha, Dematha won’t play St. Frances. That’s the nature of the game. The only thing that makes this an interesting discussion at all is the shared history.

Ultimately everybody wants to find the Goldilocks program that you can beat every year, but will win a lot of ball games. Problem is there’s a finite supply of those teams, and a limit to their willingness to play pigeon. Martinsburg is losing two of them off their schedule next year with Salem getting tired of losing and Sherando being forced into a new district schedule. Hopefully those games don’t get filled with DC tomato cans or hapless privates. And hopefully they don’t get filled with St Johns or Massillon Ohio.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
that’s a really insightful post because that Fort Hill team was not nearly as good at the end of the year as they were mid season.

Again, I do not understand how martinsburg is responsible for other WV teams. Martinsburg cannot get other WV teams that are not obligated by conference affiliation to play Martinsburg, let alone Fort Hill.

The hang up on martinsburg is really simple imo. These are two of the absolute best programs in the region with a ton of history together that are both experiencing incredible success right now. The reason to not play is also very simple: fort hill would likely lose.

Like I said in the other thread, it’s not as if this is peculiar to fort hill. Keyser won’t play Fort Hill, Fort Hill won’t play Martinsburg, Martinsburg won’t play Dematha, Dematha won’t play St. Frances. That’s the nature of the game. The only thing that makes this an interesting discussion at all is the shared history.

Ultimately everybody wants to find the Goldilocks program that you can beat every year, but will win a lot of ball games. Problem is there’s a finite supply of those teams, and a limit to their willingness to play pigeon. Martinsburg is losing two of them off their schedule next year with Salem getting tired of losing and Sherando being forced into a new district schedule. Hopefully those games don’t get filled with DC tomato cans or hapless privates. And hopefully they don’t get filled with St Johns or Massillon Ohio.
Thank you for reiterating everything I originally said. You answered yourself with my exact points. If you can't read through your own post and see the writing on the wall, I can't help you.

that’s a really insightful post because that Fort Hill team was not nearly as good at the end of the year as they were mid season.
Those young men will always have my utmost respect and to this day I stay in touch with most of them. It's 1a football and battle of attrition. The best healthy team at the end usually takes home the prize. They fought clear to the end and wanted it bad. But when it was done, they were ready for it to be done. To watch a group endure what they do, give it their all will put a tear in a grown man's eye.

You're thinking of Fort Hill at 2A, not Dunbar. The Poets were wild cards that year. Their region didn't matter, their points did.

Nobody else in 1a is out trying to play teams like Martinsburg. Are there any in 2a? I don't care either way. If the coach is up for it, so be it. His call. That said I don't see the hang up with the few stuck on playing Martinsburg either. It doesn't appear any other WV teams are beating down FH's doors to play them. We have two good WV teams 30 minutes away. Crickets.
What does everybody else in 1a have to do with who FH plays? I still don't understand why FH fans think Frankfort and Keyser should be forced to play FH, but that there should never even be a suggestion about who FH is to play. Why so much hypocrisy?

Last edited:
Reactions: FHHSAHS
Nobody else in 1a is out trying to play teams like Martinsburg.
No one else in 1A is good enough to be competitive with teams like Martinsburg.

It's just nice to challenge yourself sometimes. If we can keep seeing teams.like Oakdale or Old Mill on the schedule, then Martinsburg isn't needed. But now that we've erased Frederick County schools from the possibility, options are slim.

And probably 2a also. I don't see them running over to play Martinsburg to "test" themselves either. If Oakdale or Old Mill doesn't have anything to gain by playing FH, I certainly don't think Martinsburg has anything to gain either.
Martinsburg knows they can beat FH. Oakdale and OM couldn't. That's the difference.

Obviously Mountain Ridge can compete but ya don't hear the Miner faithful begging to add them.
I don't hear the MR administration crying about no one wanting to play them either.

Every answer about FHs schedule is always about someone else. MR doesn't do this. Oakdale doesn't do that. Frankfort won't do this. No one else in 1A does that. Jeesh.

Reactions: OneRing
I got sucked in on this topic myself, being an old guy, I was trying to find out why they stopped the series that was very entertaining for 7 decade's. I'm not so sure people are so enthralled with FH playing Martinsburg per se. I think it has more to do with as each year goes by more and more games start the 2nd half with running clocks. FH 12 games, all but 3 with a running clock. MR other than FH, and Alco all their games running clock. I think Martinsburg gets throw around because of the history. I believe alot of teams need more competitive schedules.

Martinsburg is just an easy reference point and a known opponent for FH. It doesn't have to be them...Wise? Flowers? Seneca Valley? Idk I'm just saying it seems like every team that seems like a good fit as a competitive game there's an excuse as to why not. They won't play FH. They're in a league. They don't want to get beat by a 1A school. Etc etc.

So it's easy to fall back to Martinsburg because they've expressed interest in playing. If Wise reached out to FH, and FH said no...I'd be using them as a reference point instead.

Reactions: OneRing
I never mentioned anything about Keyser or Frankfort being "forced" to play FH. In fact there is only one team that I know of that is expected to play Martinsburg from Maryland and that is Fort Hill. That is the definition of hypocrisy. What does the FH kids stand to gain from playing a team that has enough excellent athletes to not have to play both sides of the ball one single down. Why should FH be held to a large school standard when their success comes from working hard with what they have as a small school? Why do adults feel FH must take on a school that literally everyone in their own state would prefer not to play? Suggest who FH should play. You are entitled to your opinion. And being FH is 1a, I think it's pretty easy to understand why FH schedules schools that are more appropriate for their goals. Just to be clear, their goal as high school kids isn't to provide some sort of expected entertainment for adults.
You're the only person who has ever said the only Maryland school that should play Martinsburg is FH.

What do Keyser players stand to gain from playing FH? What do FH players gain from playing Northern?

Why does an adult set the schedule at FH if adults shouldn't care who they play? That was a swing and a miss for you there.

And how does FH being 1A explain playing other large schools in the recent past.

As a 1a school how is it OK to have the JV team play Martinsburg, but not the varsity? More hypocrisy.

Why do you act like FH is a success beyond 1a when you admit that all of their success comes from being 1a?

Why do you think you get to have your cake and eat it too?

• Haha
Reactions: Dwj21
Martinsburg is just an easy reference point and a known opponent for FH. It doesn't have to be them...Wise? Flowers? Seneca Valley? Idk I'm just saying it seems like every team that seems like a good fit as a competitive game there's an excuse as to why not. They won't play FH. They're in a league. They don't want to get beat by a 1A school. Etc etc.
Perfectly said. It's a shame there are so few reasonable people on here anymore. Thanks for being one of them.

Obviously Mountain Ridge can compete but ya don't hear the Miner faithful begging to add them.
You're putting Mtn Ridge on the same level as FH after one win? Come on, man... I actually thought you were having a serious conversation. Mtn Ridge has played in one title game, and you're putting them on the same standard as FH.

🤡

Reactions: Dwj21
Then step up and do an appropriate schedule for FH. Please step in those shoes and fill their schedule with teams a 1a team should play.
*Teams a 1A powerhouse team should play.

I think you would admit that Hancock, Southern, Northern, Clear Spring, and most other 1A teams should not be playing the same schedule as FH, or vice versa.

This years schedule was great for FH. Last years schedule was great for FH.

Next year, at least 3 of those games are gone including Oakdale and Old Mill. Two good, strong, playoff caliber BIGGER schools. I'm only saying I certainly hope FH replaces those good strong, playoff caliber programs with equally good strong playoff caliber competition. A schedule downgrade, or a "more appropriate 1A schedule" as you allude to, would be awful. I fully believe that this years good schedule, the loss to MR, the tough homecoming game were far more valuable to reclaiming another championship than the drubbings of Southern, Northern, Smithsburg were. And hey, as long as there are some tough teams along the way those drubbings can be tolerated. But adding more expected blowouts cannot. Hollidaysburg was not an expected blowout, they are usually competitive, sometimes you cant help it. Oakdale wasn't really a close game, but they still scored more points against FH's great defense than anyone other than Ridge, so it was a challenge and a good test.

I'll finalize my debate with a reiteration - as more and more good teams keep ending their series' with FH, its imperative that they dont lose the momentum they gain from playing these stronger schedules. A loss is not the end of a season, and as shown this year you can still keep home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a loss. The last thing the program needs right now, while it's still strong, is any type of downgrade. It doesnt have to be the Bulldogs. It doesnt have to be 3 4A powerhouses in a row. Just don't slide backwards now on scheduling. I dont see how ANYone can really argue that.

There, I deleted all my posts. I don't need to be the right fighter here to get you to agree with me. I am fine feeling the way I do on my own. Have a good day Onering and FHHSAHS. I get you don't like the answers. For a brief second I felt like Onering understood why nobody else complains about scheduling issues for just maybe a split second. Because they haven't had the consistent success FH has had. FH is in a remote part of the state with other 1a schools and it took the state forcing two of those schools to play them during the regular season. At least that is my understanding. Why does schools that play Allegany in Washington County but not FH continue playing them. Keyser decided to continue playing Mt Ridge and Allegany. I only ask why is it reasonable for all of those schools to choose what is best for their program but when FH chooses to do the same, they are condemned for it? You don't hear Allegany or Mt Ridge complaining about nobody wants to play them for the very reason Onering said. One up year of football doesn't make them the same. And it doesn't bring the same issues.

*Teams a 1A powerhouse team should play.

I think you would admit that Hancock, Southern, Northern, Clear Spring, and most other 1A teams should not be playing the same schedule as FH, or vice versa.

This years schedule was great for FH. Last years schedule was great for FH.

Next year, at least 3 of those games are gone including Oakdale and Old Mill. Two good, strong, playoff caliber BIGGER schools. I'm only saying I certainly hope FH replaces those good strong, playoff caliber programs with equally good strong playoff caliber competition. A schedule downgrade, or a "more appropriate 1A schedule" as you allude to, would be awful. I fully believe that this years good schedule, the loss to MR, the tough homecoming game were far more valuable to reclaiming another championship than the drubbings of Southern, Northern, Smithsburg were. And hey, as long as there are some tough teams along the way those drubbings can be tolerated. But adding more expected blowouts cannot. Hollidaysburg was not an expected blowout, they are usually competitive, sometimes you cant help it. Oakdale wasn't really a close game, but they still scored more points against FH's great defense than anyone other than Ridge, so it was a challenge and a good test.

I'll finalize my debate with a reiteration - as more and more good teams keep ending their series' with FH, its imperative that they dont lose the momentum they gain from playing these stronger schedules. A loss is not the end of a season, and as shown this year you can still keep home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a loss. The last thing the program needs right now, while it's still strong, is any type of downgrade. It doesnt have to be the Bulldogs. It doesnt have to be 3 4A powerhouses in a row. Just don't slide backwards now on scheduling. I dont see how ANYone can really argue that.
I understand your stance and see some of your points you are trying to make. I really felt my heart was in this argument but really I have had enough crap in my personal life this week that I am just not where I thought I was to enjoy this discussion. I really don't need to add drama right now. I'm sorry I even stuck my nose in this right now. Any other time would have been fine I'm sure. Apparently the health things my family has dealt with has kicked my ass. I don't have any more f#cks left to give right now. That's not an attack on either you or Onering. I'm just mentally exhausted and should have just scrolled by this discussion. I'm sorry.

Reactions: ravemwp
The problem I see with some of these posts is that I'm guessing none of you have had to fill 3 and 4 holes in a schedule when no one in 100 miles will play except four mandated Garrett/Allegany County opponents. The fact FH digs into New York, Canada and Florida should tell you enough.

Sure, pick up Martinsburg. Who are the other opponents now? I'll wait for an answer.

It doesn't matter whether we are discussing Martinsburg, Wise, or Cathedral Prep, etc. You do not add a power such as this to a 1A school schedule when you still need 3-4 games and nobody else will play you. Since Oakdale and Old Mill level schools do not wish to play FH anymore who do you turn to? Obviously they will have to be better than Oakdale and Old Mill. And now you want to add Martinsburg to that lineup?

I have now stated numerous times...get FH into a schedule rotation with other schools and this will allow them to pick up Martinsburg. When I see the same reply to this every time as to what do other schools have to do with picking up the best program in the entire state of WV for ten years have to do with it then it I question your motives. YES PICKING UP OTHER SCHOOLS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH PICKING UP MARTINSBURG. Just adding Martinsburg and then looking for teams better than Oakdale and Old Mill is not intelligent. And every coach I know at multiple schools would laugh at people even discussing this.

Other schools such as Keyser, Frankfort, panhandle schools, Frederick County DO NOT have this problem. Can't compare them to this situation. They don't have to pick up Fort Hill and 2-3 other top level programs because other teams will actually play them. They can add a Martinsburg or FH without having to fill 3 other holes with another Martinsburg or FH.

I understand your stance and see some of your points you are trying to make. I really felt my heart was in this argument but really I have had enough crap in my personal life this week that I am just not where I thought I was to enjoy this discussion. I really don't need to add drama right now. I'm sorry I even stuck my nose in this right now. Any other time would have been fine I'm sure. Apparently the health things my family has dealt with has kicked my ass. I don't have any more f#cks left to give right now. That's not an attack on either you or Onering. I'm just mentally exhausted and should have just scrolled by this discussion. I'm sorry.
First I hope the best for you and your family. Secondly I don't think you need to apologize for anything. I think at the end of the day most on here would hope for more competitive and balanced schedules all the way around. It seems each year more and more coaches are using the 2nd half running clock as a strategy. Going for 2 point conversions and kicking FGs before half to get to 35. I understand it, don't necessarily agree with using it as part of a strategy.

Reactions: 4R341
The problem I see with some of these posts is that I'm guessing none of you have had to fill 3 and 4 holes in a schedule when no one in 100 miles will play except four mandated Garrett/Allegany County opponents. The fact FH digs into New York, Canada and Florida should tell you enough.

Sure, pick up Martinsburg. Who are the other opponents now? I'll wait for an answer.

It doesn't matter whether we are discussing Martinsburg, Wise, or Cathedral Prep, etc. You do not add a power such as this to a 1A school schedule when you still need 3-4 games and nobody else will play you. Since Oakdale and Old Mill level schools do not wish to play FH anymore who do you turn to? Obviously they will have to be better than Oakdale and Old Mill. And now you want to add Martinsburg to that lineup?

I have now stated numerous times...get FH into a schedule rotation with other schools and this will allow them to pick up Martinsburg. When I see the same reply to this every time as to what do other schools have to do with picking up the best program in the entire state of WV for ten years have to do with it then it I question your motives. YES PICKING UP OTHER SCHOOLS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH PICKING UP MARTINSBURG. Just adding Martinsburg and then looking for teams better than Oakdale and Old Mill is not intelligent. And every coach I know at multiple schools would laugh at people even discussing this.

Other schools such as Keyser, Frankfort, panhandle schools, Frederick County DO NOT have this problem. Can't compare them to this situation. They don't have to pick up Fort Hill and 2-3 other top level programs because other teams will actually play them. They can add a Martinsburg or FH without having to fill 3 other holes with another Martinsburg or FH.
I understand and don't disagree with what you say. What I do struggle with is why no one will schedule FH. I know that no coaches want to sign up for a possible loss, but it can't just be that cut and dry. If something doesn't give five years from now FH will only have a four game schedule. It seems as if you can't even sell it as a payday. Crowds seems to be down, I assume some has to do with lack of competitive games. Wouldn't want to be in your shoes moving forward.

I understand and don't disagree with what you say. What I do struggle with is why no one will schedule FH. I know that no coaches want to sign up for a possible loss, but it can't just be that cut and dry. If something doesn't give five years from now FH will only have a four game schedule. It seems as if you can't even sell it as a payday. Crowds seems to be down, I assume some has to do with lack of competitive games. Wouldn't want to be in your shoes moving forward.
Someone made a post here about the lack of crowds at Greenway. I've been saying this for quite some time now. Teams such as Morgantown, Oakdale, Cathedral Prep and Sherando have come to Greenway and the attendance is still bad. Not many live in Cumberland and the opponent is irrelevant to the gate unless it's a competitive local team where you know they will bring some fans too. But even the Alco/FH playoff game was hideous attendance after a descent homecoming game. So I don't entertain the fact the gate matters when scheduling. It's mostly parents and family attending regardless of the opponent.

I'm guessing there were about 300 people at the Perryville game last night. It will be the same for the state semi-final game next week. Maybe the weather could warm up to 60 degrees and we get 600 people to attend. Don't mean to sound negative pointing out the obvious. It is what Cumberland is.

A good debate I have had the last 4 years or so is the Frankfort and Keyser playing FH topic. I have a good many friends, business partners, parents, educators, coaches, etc. who live in and coach in Mineral County. Love em all. Good people man. But we do debate about it from time to time and I sense they get sick of the debate as well.

Case in point: Ridgeley just won the CAYFL Super Bowl and beat the FH feeder program Patriots twice this year. Ridgeley was in the Super Bowl the year before at both the D1 and D2 level. Their pee wee team is always in the championship mix. The Frankfort Pee Wee A team just went undefeated and won that championship.

How is it that magically when these same exact kids become high school varsity players that they feel they cannot match up with Fort Hill? Nor should they be subjected to playing Fort Hill. I've heard numerous reasons but none of them have substance.

Why can't Frankfort match up once they get to varsity?

A good debate I have had the last 4 years or so is the Frankfort and Keyser playing FH topic. I have a good many friends, business partners, parents, educators, coaches, etc. who live in and coach in Mineral County. Love em all. Good people man. But we do debate about it from time to time and I sense they get sick of the debate as well.

Case in point: Ridgeley just won the CAYFL Super Bowl and beat the FH feeder program Patriots twice this year. Ridgeley was in the Super Bowl the year before at both the D1 and D2 level. Their pee wee team is always in the championship mix. The Frankfort Pee Wee A team just went undefeated and won that championship.

How is it that magically when these same exact kids become high school varsity players that they feel they cannot match up with Fort Hill? Nor should they be subjected to playing Fort Hill. I've heard numerous reasons but none of them have substance.

Why can't Frankfort match up once they get to varsity?
I would like to know the real answer to that as well.

I mean the Frankfort high school football program does not equal the Fort Hill football program, simply put. It would not be competitive.

Someone made a post here about the lack of crowds at Greenway. I've been saying this for quite some time now. Teams such as Morgantown, Oakdale, Cathedral Prep and Sherando have come to Greenway and the attendance is still bad. Not many live in Cumberland and the opponent is irrelevant to the gate unless it's a competitive local team where you know they will bring some fans too. But even the Alco/FH playoff game was hideous attendance after a descent homecoming game. So I don't entertain the fact the gate matters when scheduling. It's mostly parents and family attending regardless of the opponent.

I'm guessing there were about 300 people at the Perryville game last night. It will be the same for the state semi-final game next week. Maybe the weather could warm up to 60 degrees and we get 600 people to attend. Don't mean to sound negative pointing out the obvious. It is what Cumberland is.
No, you shouldn't schedule on gate, because like you said even local games aren't a guarantee anymore. And don't schedule for fans.

I don't argue that FH should play a tougher team because I want to see a good game... I argue for it because I think they can, and from what I think is best for a team from a player/coach perspective.

There, I deleted all my posts. I don't need to be the right fighter here to get you to agree with me. I am fine feeling the way I do on my own. Have a good day Onering and FHHSAHS. I get you don't like the answers. For a brief second I felt like Onering understood why nobody else complains about scheduling issues for just maybe a split second. Because they haven't had the consistent success FH has had. FH is in a remote part of the state with other 1a schools and it took the state forcing two of those schools to play them during the regular season. At least that is my understanding. Why does schools that play Allegany in Washington County but not FH continue playing them. Keyser decided to continue playing Mt Ridge and Allegany. I only ask why is it reasonable for all of those schools to choose what is best for their program but when FH chooses to do the same, they are condemned for it? You don't hear Allegany or Mt Ridge complaining about nobody wants to play them for the very reason Onering said. One up year of football doesn't make them the same. And it doesn't bring the same issues.
Mtn Ridge and Allegany have played FH every year they've existed as schools haven't they?

I don't understand how you can say year after year that FH is better than Allegany and MR, an elite program that turns out winners and champions, yet all of a sudden throw all of that out the window when it comes to schedules?

The program won 4 championships in a row, something no other team has done. It's such a special place that no one who didn't play football at FH really knows how special the program is... except for the schedule. When it comes to the schedule you're the same as Allegany... the team you shit all year and have beat for a decade and a half straight.
There is just no logic to it whatsoever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT