ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops

Can anyone tell me why the Times News keeps stating that ALCO is 7-1 in the AMAC while Southern is 7-0 ? Both these teams split during the season with both winning their home games. Am I missing something? Stated this in both articles today I figure it must be right but I'm confused..

Can anyone tell me why the Times News keeps stating that ALCO is 7-1 in the AMAC while Southern is 7-0 ? Both these teams split during the season with both winning their home games. Am I missing something? Stated this in both articles today I figure it must be right but I'm confused..
Only the first SCHEDULED game counts in the standings

Reactions: Redwhite90
Some of the schools only play each other 1 time so I believe the powers to be made the call on the first game counting in the standings. This is why Allegany only has one loss. The first game FH beat them was actually the second scheduled game of the season. Saturdays game was originally scheduled as the first game.

Well that seems like a Great Basketball League that everyone should want to be a part of. SMH
The AMAC Basketball League is about as dumb as what it was with Football. If You have a league and Teams can't schedule each other twice Home & Away in Basketball what in the hell good is it??????????
9 Schools and they can't schedule each other twice lol

I agree....it should be all sports....with every sport but football obviously playing each other twice....this county and state r dumb....

I agree....it should be all sports....with every sport but football obviously playing each other twice....this county and state r dumb....
This is actually because of the west Virginia schools saying they can't play all these Maryland schools twice.

I've had the flu. Did Hedgesville not bring their varsity team when FH beat them?

While historically a decent CVAL team, I think they are slightly more even with our local schools this year. I think they have 7 or 8 losses as well.

No Hedgesville had the same team that beat FH by 40 in Dec. towpath I have to wonder, when you take shots like this at FH, did you try and play and didn’t make the team? You take cheap shots at FH on occasion. I just wonder why. FH has had some nice wins this year. Hedgesville, Southern, Alco, Mt Ridge twice. They haven’t had wins like this in 5 years. Yet you only take shots at them even when they win.

No Hedgesville had the same team that beat FH by 40 in Dec. towpath I have to wonder, when you take shots like this at FH, did you try and play and didn’t make the team? You take cheap shots at FH on occasion. I just wonder why. FH has had some nice wins this year. Hedgesville, Southern, Alco, Mt Ridge twice. They haven’t had wins like this in 5 years. Yet you only take shots at them even when they win.

if you think those are cheap shots you may not want to be here for baseball season lol

I just call it like I see it whether its good or bad at FH. I am not a homer. I go hard at the teams when I should and I pump them up when I should (see comments on FH before the season especially about the backcourt). I also give praise to other schools when I feel they deserve it. I see I've came along way from being told I was a FH bball assistant coach last season. What ever happened to that screen name that claimed that? Guy left and never returned.

it aint all gravy, baby. As for not making the team. My eligibility expired long ago, brother.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Hedgesvilles losses were to Martinsburg and Musselman, they are a good team.

They have 7 losses, so they lost a few more than those.

I dont mean to make it sound like Hedgesville sucked, I'm positive I didn't even imply that.

I said, verbatim, they are slightly more even with local schools this year. There is nothing untrue about that statement, nor disparaging.

Allegany wins by 25 points. FH fans on Facebook blaming the referees, Lol
Allegany wins by 25 points. FH fans on Facebook blaming the referees, Lol
You don't lose by 25 points because of the ref. You lose because of a continued apathy, refusing to change and grow, lack of talent, and doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I didnt see people blaming the refs for the loss. I saw a few people lamenting at the general poor officiating on BOTH sides. But not blaming them for the loss.

Case in point, although the game was out of hand, near the end of the game - a FH player committed a pretty obvious frustration foul under the Alco basket. Pushed an Alco player very blatantly. The Alco player lost his balance and stepped out of bounds...and Kenny Johnson called him out of bounds. No foul call at all.

I can't talk about local basketball without commenting on the overall horrible inconsistency of our local refs. Especially when you get George Geatz and Kenny as two thirds of the crew...but they weren't the *reason* for the loss. I must have missed those posts.

And a VERY small capacity gym... don't get there late or you might be standing by the door or wall... Should be a good one though! Close game throughout with Rams winning by 10 at end..other predictions?
Alco by 2, Bratton hits a 3 at the buzzer

I didnt see people blaming the refs for the loss. I saw a few people lamenting at the general poor officiating on BOTH sides. But not blaming them for the loss.

Case in point, although the game was out of hand, near the end of the game - a FH player committed a pretty obvious frustration foul under the Alco basket. Pushed an Alco player very blatantly. The Alco player lost his balance and stepped out of bounds...and Kenny Johnson called him out of bounds. No foul call at all.

I can't talk about local basketball without commenting on the overall horrible inconsistency of our local refs. Especially when you get George Geatz and Kenny as two thirds of the crew...but they weren't the *reason* for the loss. I must have missed those posts.
I missed both games this yr. But last yr. Officiating was horrible in both games.. I can't believe how bad they are lol...

Reactions: towpath94
Did anyone else make it to the game Wednesday? Not a seat left at tip-off... I even heard they were turning people away at the door... anyone get turned away?

Why would they not play that game at Garrett College? I have never been in their gym but it has to be better suited to host a game like this. I got there at 6:05 and there was not an open seat. I understand the home court advantage but man the crowd was to big for that gym. Good luck to Southern, they will have their work cut out for them if they beat Clear Spring. A team by the name of Dunbar will be waiting I'm sure

Why would they not play that game at Garrett College? I have never been in their gym but it has to be better suited to host a game like this. I got there at 6:05 and there was not an open seat. I understand the home court advantage but man the crowd was to big for that gym. Good luck to Southern, they will have their work cut out for them if they beat Clear Spring. A team by the name of Dunbar will be waiting I'm sure

According to the MPSSAA bracket, the West winner will face the North, ie Dunbar, in the semis.

Probably because it's difficult to make these decisions when you only have a couple of days to secure the venue, transportation, security, etc. You're absolutely correct it would have been a better option

Garrett College Gym is pretty small. I am pretty sure Southern is bigger

plus it was a playoff game and the state makes the money, Southern is more worried about winning a game and playing on the Home Court that they played all season for than sending some cash down state

plus it was a playoff game and the state makes the money, Southern is more worried about winning a game and playing on the Home Court that they played all season for than sending some cash down state

Absolutely. Could not have said that any better.

Actually Garrett has a large , beautiful brand new gym that is probably as big or bigger than Bobcat Arena and would have been a much more comfortable venue for the fans. However, you are absolutely correct, the coaches and players played all year for home field advantage and they were undefeated at home this year I believe. That is a hard advantage to give up just to make more money for the MPSSA. I would like to see Southern and Northern both play their head to head meetings at Garrett College for the same reason. Those games are always packed as well, and more fans would come out if there was more room, but I doubt it will happen as neither school wants to give up their home advantage. I can understand their reasoning, just wish both schools had bigger gyms and better parking.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT