ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops

towpath94

All State Poster
Nov 13, 2012
what's the outlook this year? Alco top dog again?

how with the long overdue shot clock affect things?

For the first time in many years Alco will struggle. When I say, this in my opinion they may go 14-6 or some where around that.By Alco bball stadards that is struggling. Last nights lost was without thier big guy, with him I feel they win the game by 10 or better. Southern should be stout this year.

FH backcourt should be pretty good with Hoover and Stubbs (missed him on the football field). I know a few seniors that played previously aren't playing. That's about all I know.

Allegany should get better as the year goes. The matchup with FH should be great games this year. Thier big guy may miss up to a month

Reactions: towpath94
I had started a bball thread on the "behind the arc" forum because being new here, didn't know if it was ok to leave one here. That being said, Southern has one of the strongest teams I have seen in recent memory this year. They have a lot of talent both JV and Varsity. Varsity has size, speed and quickness and can go 12 deep without much falloff. Should be a great winter sports season for the Rams with the strength of their wrestling and basketball programs this year. New shot clock does add a new aspect to the game which I love! I always hated the no shot clock in boys basketball. I love to see great defense and with no shot clock it always seemed to penalize the team for shutting down passing lanes and defensing the easy shot.

The shot clock didn't factor in on any possesions at the Alco game last night. I think just from a history standpoint that it will hurt Southern the worst and FH to a extent

who did Alco play last night? I am excited to check out the games with the shot clock. Should've been done 10 years ago.

Smithsburg, they were okay but no world beaters. Like I said earlier, with thier big man they win by 10 or so

The shot clock didn't factor in on any possesions at the Alco game last night. I think just from a history standpoint that it will hurt Southern the worst and FH to a extent
I'm with you. Though I have no problem with there being a shot clock, it really only changes things for one or two teams. Hobel has been a big fan of stalling through the years, and Southern has used it when the matchup wasn't favorable. Other than that, most teams got the vast majority of their shots off in a manner that the shot clock will only play into a couple possessions a game.

I'm with you. Though I have no problem with there being a shot clock, it really only changes things for one or two teams. Hobel has been a big fan of stalling through the years, and Southern has used it when the matchup wasn't favorable. Other than that, most teams got the vast majority of their shots off in a manner that the shot clock will only play into a couple possessions a game.
Good point forgot about Mt.Ridge

Definitely a down yr. for the Campers.. Is FH as strong as they were last yr? They weren't a real contender but they gave us all we could handle and probably should've came away with one of those games.. Could this be the yr they steal one?

read in the newspaper that numbers were down for Alco. Or is that a Teddy thing keeping so few players?

I am sure he is keeping players away. Also pretty sure others tried out and were cut. Pretty sure only 19 kids in the program right now, 8 varsity and 11 between freshmen and JV

Allegany has a real good girls team. They only had 7 players dressed. They will be tough only lost 1 player.

Teddy is a joke....u should never turn kids away and b short a full roster....robbing kids of being a part of something...plus u cant even scrimmage in practice....we will c how good of coach he really is now that the talent isnt lopsided in his favor

Teddy is a joke....u should never turn kids away and b short a full roster....robbing kids of being a part of something...plus u cant even scrimmage in practice....we will c how good of coach he really is now that the talent isnt lopsided in his favor
Basketball has had cuts from the beginning, man. How is that a bad thing?

I've seen most these teams play through the years. I would rank the area teams going into the season as 1. Southern 2. Mt Ridge 3. Alco 4. Fort Hill . Not real sure how BW figures in that mix as their team can be a little more fluid with additions and subtractions. Probably put Northern at 5 as they have a couple talented kids that can go off any night as well.

I've seen most these teams play through the years. I would rank the area teams going into the season as 1. Southern 2. Mt Ridge 3. Alco 4. Fort Hill . Not real sure how BW figures in that mix as their team can be a little more fluid with additions and subtractions. Probably put Northern at 5 as they have a couple talented kids that can go off any night as well.
Agree but think Alco will hold the #2 spot

Reactions: camper21502
Alco at Southern Friday for first big area matchup of the year.. I see Southern winning it but they struggled from the floor shooting at last outing vs Tucker Co. They better have that corrected for Friday. Any word on Alco's big man? Hopefully back for Friday?

Alco at Southern Friday for first big area matchup of the year.. I see Southern winning it but they struggled from the floor shooting at last outing vs Tucker Co. They better have that corrected for Friday. Any word on Alco's big man? Hopefully back for Friday?
Not 100% sure but I hear he may not be back till January

Not 100% sure but I hear he may not be back till January
Too bad.. would have preferred to see both schools with a full squad. I see your above message also about Alco holding on to the #2 spot. That may depend on the health of their inside big man. One thing Ridge is missing is a talented big man inside. They have a nice collection of guards and forwards though so should be fun to see how this season plays out.

Too bad.. would have preferred to see both schools with a full squad. I see your above message also about Alco holding on to the #2 spot. That may depend on the health of their inside big man. One thing Ridge is missing is a talented big man inside. They have a nice collection of guards and forwards though so should be fun to see how this season plays out.
It should definitely be a more competive season. They have installed a mercy rule this year in bball and it may be a season where you won't see it used.

Reactions: mike48
It should definitely be a more competive season. They have installed a mercy rule this year in bball and it may be a season where you won't see it used.
Never heard of a mercy rule in basketball. How does it work??

MPSSAA BOYS AND GIRLS BASKETBALL “MERCY RULE” PROCEDURES By State adoption, the State Basketball Committees have adopted the following rule regarding the use of running time. Once a 35-point differential exists in the second half, the following changes, and only these changes, will be made regarding the rules which determine when the clock will and will not be stopped. a. An official’s time-out for an injured participant. b. A charged (team) time-out occurs. c. A score occurs that reduces the point spread to less than 35 points (in which case regular timing procedures will be used. d. A period ends. e. Free throws are taken

Reactions: camper21502
Yes , was within a basket at the half but Southern's up-tempo and bench depth ran them out of the gym in second half. 56-44 final. Be interesting to see the rematch in Cumberland. I admit that FH /MR score was a surprise. And by the way.. really LOVE the new shot clock! It plays into at least a few possessions each game so far! Again , it rewards great defense!

Last edited:
I know its early....but after watching the fh boys lastnight maybe the #5/6 preseason prediction was a little off...lol....they have depth...size...and quick guards....wouldnt surprise me if they contend for their first area title in a couple of decades....

Definitely impressive from FH . I never thought they weren't talented at guard positions, just wasn't sure what they had inside. That MR team consists of the same Mt Savage Tri-County team that that won so many in a row so I assumed that would translate. However, as I said before, I think they lack a bit of an inside presence which hurts them on the boards. After the win last night, Southern travels to take on a Northern Calvert Squad (AAA) today, so I'm anxious to hear the outcome of that game. Might provide a little more of a measuring stick.

Not used to seeing Alco hoops at 0-2. Small schools have a hard time being on top every year as good classes come and go. That is what's been amazing about FH football and Alco basketball. On the bright side I see the big man played last night in Oakland.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Southern survived a close one at BW 45 to 44 . BW's big men inside are pretty good and one guard went nuts in first half from 3. Was a tight game throughout. With their bench depth, still can't figure out why Southern doesn't just press the whole game and wear the other team out. Much like the UNLV amoeba defense of the early 90's.

rough week for the hill toppers

lost to University by about 50

last week against MR they looked like they could have a good season, last night against Frankfort they looked like they didn't know how to play the game

2 big time blow outs out of the area sandwiched the Frankfort game

Alco beat a descent 9-1 Broadfording team tonight for thier 2nd win in a row. I think things may be starting to coming together. Should make the remaining season pretty interesting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT