ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops

Me and my folks always just feel like the teams up there are no threat. As we say 8-10 win teams from down this way can beat you because we ball out with a different vibe. I would bet it is a local bragging rights thing for those teams in that area as BrianH1974 indicated. I would even oppose BoyzInBlue's notion that even the best Allegany County schools in recent time stood a chance. What type of ball players did they have? Ones who excelled out west and maybe had a little ability but never had the hoopers skill set. I keep in touch with a lot of folks who know the game, not just people in my stomping grounds but statewide and something's got to give up that way. The players just aren't equipped to play at the level it takes down here or the coaches are being out coached. It's something. One year, maybe it was bad luck but when you go back to 1993 it has to be considered a choke job year in and year out to keep failing as 20 win teams (and with teams you call good). They're nervous of the real ballers or keep using excuses, like missing shots instead of realizing that regular season success against dudes who don't ball like those in the metropolitan areas doesn't make you a contender. That's real talk until you actually win something with all those high hopes.

I'm just telling you what I saw last March. Allegany played maybe their worst game of the year and lost a close game to a Baltimore school. I agree that may be the exception, but if you follow WMD b-ball through the years they produce a team every few years that can compete with the city schools.

Reactions: camper21502
I agree with Boyz on this one. Alco has produced a couple teams in the last few years that were absolutely competitive. And last March they definitely did not play one of their best games and still played tight.

FH had a couple teams about 10 years ago as well. They were competitive.

Unlike 1A Football where there is a vast disparity between the top 1 or 2 teams and everyone else...basketball is on a more even level, especially once you get to the final four. Someone gets a hot hand and hits a couple additional three pointers, or a team shoots 80% from the foul line instead of 75%...and its a whole different game.

Historically, this area is not on that same level consistently, but I absolutely agree that there have been a few teams that have "stood a chance" in the last 10 years.

I agree with Boyz on this one. Alco has produced a couple teams in the last few years that were absolutely competitive. And last March they definitely did not play one of their best games and still played tight.

FH had a couple teams about 10 years ago as well. They were competitive.

Unlike 1A Football where there is a vast disparity between the top 1 or 2 teams and everyone else...basketball is on a more even level, especially once you get to the final four. Someone gets a hot hand and hits a couple additional three pointers, or a team shoots 80% from the foul line instead of 75%...and its a whole different game.

Historically, this area is not on that same level consistently, but I absolutely agree that there have been a few teams that have "stood a chance" in the last 10 years.

Right, I think you are referring to the FH squad that basically had Dunbar beat if they had just hit their free throws at the end.

Hate to say it but FH is terrible at basketball. I got to watch them last night at Allegany and wow! I know they won and Smithsburg beat Allegany but they looked like to 6th grade teams tonight. I geuss it may have something to do with the kids that didn't play, not sure but it was bad
If FH is terrible, what is Alco? 61-54!

What's up with the blind squirrels? You all crazy. I do think that's the same thing I've been trying to say about teams out west. All those teams blind, but they find a nut with play in that region and then it just gets snatched up by the real ballers cause they more hungry for it. It's been for local bragging right for the past 25 or more years for you all. No one is winning anything important on the hardwood up there. You all missed some actual basketball games tonight, but Dunbar B play Dunbar D tomorrow afternoon so come on out and peep ball players.

Well if bball turns in favor of fh.....football is already owned by fh...baseball fh has won 3 in a row....just sayin if bball turns red then what is left for alco....lol....i guess they still have girls bball

Well if bball turns in favor of fh.....football is already owned by fh...baseball fh has won 3 in a row....just sayin if bball turns red then what is left for alco....lol....i guess they still have girls bball
Don't forget we still have softball

I realize that this board is Cumberland Centric but Southern is currently ranked #1 in area in both boys and girls basketball presently. So area boys basketball is turning Red but the glow is coming from the mountaintop. As for the girls, well we know who has dominated that over the past 10 years. I'm not saying that they are ready to beat Dunbar, I'm just saying that if you discussing area hoops, they deserve to be mentioned in the conversation.

Everyone knew if FH were to win one soon this was the yr. to do it... I would not be suprised to see them sweep Alco this yr..

Southern with a 3 team sweep tonight over Fort Hill in Oakland. Freshman won by double digits. Jv wins 48 to 19 and Varsity wins 64 to 49. Friday's games are vs ALCO in Cumberland. Rams won earlier at home, will be interested to see how well they play away from Ram Arena.

Frankfort lost to Southern by 5 or 6, beat Fort Hill and beat Bishop Walsh. Don't believe they have played Allegany. Their "bad" loss was to Northern. Anyway, Frankfort should be part of the discussion.

Anyone know the score of Mt Ridge vs Frankfort from Friday 2/2
I've seen 3 different scores on several other sites

I've seen most these teams play through the years. I would rank the area teams going into the season as 1. Southern 2. Mt Ridge 3. Alco 4. Fort Hill . Not real sure how BW figures in that mix as their team can be a little more fluid with additions and subtractions. Probably put Northern at 5 as they have a couple talented kids that can go off any night as well.
Well, coming down to the end of the year and didn't do too bad predicting.....Alco was 2 and FH was 3 . . I had thought Mt Ridge might surprise a bit more but as expected they did not have a strong inside presence and dealt with some injuries. BW had the 2 tall exchange students that made them a tough out many nights. And Northern got on a roll at the end to win late games against FH and Mt Ridge. Rams boys and girls win the region and also more than likely the state 1A wrestling title today. All in all , a pretty successful winter season on the mountaintop.

Well, coming down to the end of the year and didn't do too bad predicting.....Alco was 2 and FH was 3 . . I had thought Mt Ridge might surprise a bit more but as expected they did not have a strong inside presence and dealt with some injuries. BW had the 2 tall exchange students that made them a tough out many nights. And Northern got on a roll at the end to win late games against FH and Mt Ridge. Rams boys and girls win the region and also more than likely the state 1A wrestling title today. All in all , a pretty successful winter season on the mountaintop.
I wouldn't send the boys to the region championship game just yet. Allegany has won 7 in a row and are playing very good right now. It dosen't mattet who wins the West Region, it will be an early exit im the semi finals

Yes.. I was meaning the area title.. in tournament play, will be much tougher as any bad night shooting leads to a loss. One good thing about Rams boys is that any one of 3 or 4 can go off for 20 in a night. But... one problem is they don't have that one player that can dominate a game when they desire. Will be interesting to see.. and just heard Rams wrestlers did just win the 1A state title.
I wouldn't send the boys to the region championship game just yet. Allegany has won 7 in a row and are playing very good right now. It dosen't mattet who wins the West Region, it will be an early exit im the semi finals

After Allegany beats FH why wouldn't they be area champion. Allegany just beat Southern which makes Alco the best team in the area

After Allegany beats FH why wouldn't they be area champion. Allegany just beat Southern which makes Alco the best team in the area
Are you forgetting that Allegany lost to Southern earlier in the season? So Southern has 1 loss in the area. Allegany has 2 losses. So... that is why Southern will more than likely be the area champion if they beat FH on Thursday and then Mountain Ridge in a make up game on 2/15. Both those games are away games so its possible they lose , just not probable. FH has not looked great lately and MR still dealing with injuries. Even if they drop 1 of those, Southern still gets share of area title with record.

If it comes down to Allegany and Southern in the section final the area championship will go to the winner of that game.

Reactions: OneRing
Fort Hill over Southern tonight 56-41. Who can figure out this season? Agree with many on here though, nobody looks like they will go far in the playoffs. Alco seems to be the team peaking at the right time. Southern cannot play in Cumberland it seems. This make Saturday's FH vs Alco game a bit more interesting !

Score was 7-3 after 1st quarter.
Area bball is horrible. Has been for a long time but it's actually gotten worse. The day a boys team from up this way wins a state title hell hast frozen over. Winning an area title is equivalent to being the fastest turtle.

There someone said it again.

Fort Hill over Southern tonight 56-41. Who can figure out this season? Agree with many on here though, nobody looks like they will go far in the playoffs. Alco seems to be the team peaking at the right time. Southern cannot play in Cumberland it seems. This make Saturday's FH vs Alco game a bit more interesting !
Allegany lost to Westmont Hilltop by 2.

U people crack me up....just admit it....any area tm on any given night...there is no DOMINANT tm in area this yr....great for area bball fans....and b4 boyz n blue starts chirping about his bmore tms....NOBODY SAID ANY AREA TMS WOULD COMPETE WITH THEM.....im just sayin this area bball has been more exciting this yr because of the parity AROUND THIS AREA

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Who of all you critics played basketball? I would like to hear where you all get your expertise. Bakedbean had the best analysis. There’s parity. There’s no 1 dominant team.

Last edited:
U people crack me up....just admit it....any area tm on any given night...there is no DOMINANT tm in area this yr....great for area bball fans....and b4 boyz n blue starts chirping about his bmore tms....NOBODY SAID ANY AREA TMS WOULD COMPETE WITH THEM.....im just sayin this area bball has been more exciting this yr because of the parity AROUND THIS AREA

??????? Lol

Alco showed yesterday in beating FH why I think they are still the top dog in the west

Copman was the difference in the 2 FH games in my opinion. Fouled out with only about 8 points in the Alco loss. Scored 16 and grabbed 10 boards in the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT