ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming line opens at FH -47

Alco is definitely struggling, and will be without their starting end who was ejected in the Southern game tonight.

It kind of sucks there’s no actual build up for Homecoming this year... attendance all time low?

Last night was FH plaing a nearly "perfect game", or at least one where nearly everything they did clicked. This FH team is peaking at the right time. But expecting them to maintain the type of intensity shown last night isn't realistic. Whatever the reason, that FH team last night showed up angry.

If the disciplined FH team shows up next Saturday, then, yes, it will be a lopsided game. But remember, Alco has nothing at stake here - they're expected to lose. Counting them out would be foolish.

Regardless, Alco alum should come out and support their kids, program and history. Unless a person is working, ill, indigent, physically unable or has to take care of someone else, community events should be supported.

It will make FH fans feel good about themselves as they look across the field and see a semblance of a pageant while pretending that a rivalry exists.

All the while the red-jackets will look down at their deep bench of talented players and pretend that the skeleton of a football team across the field will lose because.... well, Big Red works harder and has a genius coaching staff - never mind that Hansel (being beaten to death in this forum recently) knocked off Dunbar last year with better talent than he has this year but with far less overall talent than FH has had in the last half dozen years.

Every time I return to Cumberland I realize that 'you can go home again' if you own a cabin in the woods.... well, one that isn't adjacent to a windmill.

Reactions: OneRing
Last night was FH plaing a nearly "perfect game", or at least one where nearly everything they did clicked. This FH team is peaking at the right time. But expecting them to maintain the type of intensity shown last night isn't realistic. Whatever the reason, that FH team last night showed up angry.

If the disciplined FH team shows up next Saturday, then, yes, it will be a lopsided game. But remember, Alco has nothing at stake here - they're expected to lose. Counting them out would be foolish.
One only has to look to the playoff game last year to know you are 100% correct.

Or that this FH coaching staff is 15-1 against Alco. Including a double sweep in 2012 where the Campers were far more talented. Quite possibly Coach Appel's greatest coaching year.

The talent level gap is not that far apart the last 3 years. Numbers yes. But you have about 15 kids who can play at FH and the rest cannot. I have seen the Alco weight room work out and the off season dedication. The difference between them and FH is night and day to the extreme.

Reactions: RollSentinels
It will make FH fans feel good about themselves as they look across the field and see a semblance of a pageant while pretending that a rivalry exists.

All the while the red-jackets will look down at their deep bench of talented players and pretend that the skeleton of a football team across the field will lose because.... well, Big Red works harder and has a genius coaching staff - never mind that Hansel (being beaten to death in this forum recently) knocked off Dunbar last year with better talent than he has this year but with far less overall talent than FH has had in the last half dozen years.

Every time I return to Cumberland I realize that 'you can go home again' if you own a cabin in the woods.... well, one that isn't adjacent to a windmill.

You missed the premise and wandered off on tangents about reasons not to support the Alco program. It’s really sad that this is the case. It’s not about making FH fans feel good about themselves by seeing support for the blue, FH fans will feel good regardless. It’s about the Alco program and the community in general. I would hope that your self-defeatism and subtle jabs at FH is not prevalent of the Alco fan support as whole in regards to supporting themselves. FH’s dominance in the series should not equate to Alco not having alumni, students and parents come out to support them.

Or that this FH coaching staff is 15-1 against Alco. Including a double sweep in 2012 where the Campers were far more talented. Quite possibly Coach Appel's greatest coaching year.

The talent level gap is not that far apart the last 3 years. Numbers yes. But you have about 15 kids who can play at FH and the rest cannot. I have seen the Alco weight room work out and the off season dedication. The difference between them and FH is night and day to the extreme.

Well, I respectfully disagree. Alco has had at best a couple players each year who would have started for FH since the Arrowettes were the Arrowettes.... how long has that been? Last year the Campers had maybe two players who would have started for FH: Bratton and Robinette.

It ain't close..... How many consecutive championships has FH won and how many games have they lost low these many years? Who is kidding whom? Hasn't been close for a long time and when Hansel had some talent he beat Dunbar. To the red-jackets all I can say is, "Spare me the 'running clock' bullshit this year and beat Dunbar." I'll be watching and hoping FH does... that is, if they get to the game.

Last edited:
You missed the premise and wandered off on tangents about reasons not to support the Alco program. It’s really sad that this is the case. It’s not about making FH fans feel good about themselves by seeing support for the blue, FH fans will feel good regardless. It’s about the Alco program and the community in general. I would hope that your self-defeatism and subtle jabs at FH is not prevalent of the Alco fan support as whole in regards to supporting themselves. FH’s dominance in the series should not equate to Alco not having alumni, students and parents come out to support them.

Well, feel sad if you will. Call it a tangent also. I read the same response when I question the validity of having 6 Arrowettes march on the field to 'Hey Look Me Over' - so, go ahead I'm used to it.

My point has always been about reality: deal with the situation as it is and stop pretending otherwise. Supporting a program is not sitting in the stands pretending you have 60 young ladies dancing at mid-field and it certainly isn't watching a full football team on the other side of the field when you can barely field one yourself. It isn't supporting anything. It is making a mockery of what used to be.

Last edited:

"pretending the rivalry exists". Why doesn't a rivalry exist?

To the red-jackets all I can say is, "Spare me the 'running clock' bullshit this year and beat Dunbar." I'll be watching and hoping FH does... that is, if they get to the game.
FH may very well get to the state championship, but they will never beat this year's Dunbar. Nobody will. At least nobody in 1A.

"pretending the rivalry exists". Why doesn't a rivalry exist?
I'll add this, if somebody consistently wins over somebody at some point it may still be a rivalry but it's not exactly as interesting.
Dunbar could say the same thing about FH. I may be in the minority but I would rather fh work on their passing game the next 4 weeks so that they would have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Dunbar. This could be a rivalry but until fh can beat them it just doesn't seem like one. Except for 30 years ago fh has never beaten dunbar and to me, close just doesn't count.

FH may very well get to the state championship, but they will never beat this year's Dunbar. Nobody will. At least nobody in 1A.
Appreciate your honesty. It seems like because fh blew out mt. ridge now they are just peaking and rolling at the right time. If Dunbar wasn't in 1A this might matter, but they are and it doesn't.

I'll add this, if somebody consistently wins over somebody at some point it may still be a rivalry but it's not exactly as interesting.
Dunbar could say the same thing about FH. I may be in the minority but I would rather fh work on their passing game the next 4 weeks so that they would have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Dunbar. This could be a rivalry but until fh can beat them it just doesn't seem like one. Except for 30 years ago fh has never beaten dunbar and to me, close just doesn't count.
If they don't work on their passing game, Dunbar will likely keep them scoreless. Again, that's *if* FH makes it that far.

21 years ago

The 2018 team will beat Dunbar. They’ll be the best FH team in the past 6 years in a few more weeks. They’ll shut down ALCO 49-14 and then beat Southern 35-0 in the 1st round.

Their Jr heavy OL (only 1 Sr on the line #72) is just now becoming a unit. They’re cutting out more of the missed assignments every week and the speed of the backs and ends will finally be on full display. 22, 26, 8, 32, 34, 24, 1, 44 and 11 are faster than you think. They’ve had a young, inexperienced OL in front of them. Now they’ve got 8 full games experience vs all levels of competition. The offense is ready. The defense has been ready. This secondary is nice. Our DL is learning how to get off pass blocks. And that’s bad news for everyone that hates FH. This teams legit. Whether you like it or not.

Reactions: theprocessworks
The 2018 team will beat Dunbar. They’ll be the best FH team in the past 6 years in a few more weeks. They’ll shut down ALCO 49-14 and then beat Southern 35-0 in the 1st round.

Their Jr heavy OL (only 1 Sr on the line #72) is just now becoming a unit. They’re cutting out more of the missed assignments every week and the speed of the backs and ends will finally be on full display. 22, 26, 8, 32, 34, 24, 1, 44 and 11 are faster than you think. They’ve had a young, inexperienced OL in front of them. Now they’ve got 8 full games experience vs all levels of competition. The offense is ready. The defense has been ready. This secondary is nice. Our DL is learning how to get off pass blocks. And that’s bad news for everyone that hates FH. This teams legit. Whether you like it or not.
This FH team has exceeded many expectations, without a doubt. They're a very good football team and I hope they win state this year.

Regardless of the speed of the backs, and there is a lot of talent and speed in FH's backfield, without a passing game Dunbar wins 24-0. It'll be the same-old-same-old. Stranger things have happened, but pound-it-up-the-middle football likely won't win a title this year.

This FH team has exceeded many expectations, without a doubt. They're a very good football team and I hope they win state this year.

Regardless of the speed of the backs, and there is a lot of talent and speed in FH's backfield, without a passing game Dunbar wins 24-0. It'll be the same-old-same-old. Stranger things have happened, but pound-it-up-the-middle football likely won't win a title this year.

I agree. Too one deminsional offensively and not near the speed Dunbar has. "We knew they can't throw the ball" says it all.

But in all honesty most thought this was the least of all the FH teams since 2013 when the ride started. They only jad like 3 starters coming back. So to see them where they are at this point is a nice surprise good to see. I really would have liked to see the Johnson and Brown years against Dunbar when FH at least has a speed factor. Wasn't to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502

24 0 against this defense i dont think so.

Lest we forget this same Alco team everyone is hanging their hats up over was in a competitive game with Dunbar before that game was called earlier this season.

Not saying that equates FH could beat them ( if they get to the finals) ... But FH would be competitive.

The Alco team has a lot of talent, the team fell apart as the season progressed. Dunbar will score against FH, FH will have to score by throwing I think everyone knows that by now

Sorry but this can not hang with Dunbar.

I kinda was thinking the same thing

Because a lot of Alco fans, many of whom are (hopefully) former players, are kinda wondering how things got to this point? It's really disappointing, to say the least, when you look at the disparity between the two city school programs.

I know a few of my old teammates and I were really excited with Bryan took over the head job a few years ago. We're hoping this year is just an anomaly, and that he can re-engage the staff after this season to figure out the continuance of the rebuild. And that's what this has been since the last year or two of Preaskorn running the show.

So the reason some of the Alco guys are already talking FH/Dunbar is because there's one or two of us that are hoping y'all get to line up against them and take them down. Tall task, as always, but it'd be nice to see. The one thing I know is that whoever has to play them better be able to score with them (aka throw the ball) or I really don't see a chance.

The Alco team has a lot of talent, the team fell apart as the season progressed. Dunbar will score against FH, FH will have to score by throwing I think everyone knows that by now

The strong and speedy Alco backfield that turns on a dime and shakes off tackles on offense, finds itself flat-footed and arm-reachy on defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConeyIsland
Why all the talk about Dunbar in a Homecoming thread?

That's easy. I brought it up as adverse to discussing a point spread of 47.

Hey Big Red.... focus on the playoffs and beating Dunbar instead of discussing a homecoming fait accompli, especially when once again Allegany will sit down a player that they can ill afford to lose.

Let's pound our chests and chant, "Runnin' Clock" said nobody but the 2 beer crowd at the local red-jacket watering hole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT