ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming line opens at FH -47

You talking about FH football or Alco basketball? Either way it's the same two way street. Point being, dont teach kids if you can't beat the challenge then drop it and find something easier. Or all the local teams just play BW in hoops, get beat by 100 points and say what a great opportunity that was for our kids.

Read my quote again...
" It's a contact sport where Alco barely fields a team and in the future will not be able to at all."

It's football. It's a contact sport. It's not about teaching any damn thing. It's about an extra curricular activity where numbers, safety and the demanding athletic ability of kids to play are paramount.

You talking about FH football or Alco basketball? Either way it's the same two way street

That's insane.

Players don't leave the program they are in to transfer schools. Doesn't work that way in Cumberland. This FH is the same exact group that played for the youth league Patriots team 5-6 years ago. It's the same team that played as freshmen and Sophomores. What you don't get is that winning breeds winning and interest. The youth league feeder system is on fire. Pee Wee, CAYLF, look around at who is dominatig those leagues by a landslide. It's the FH feeder programs. Not even close. The Patriots just went a combined 18-0 grades 5-8. The games were all massive blow outs other than Ridgeley. Like men toying with boys.

The participation numbers are through the roof. Then I look over at the Alco youth system and they can barely field a team.

If you think Alco has dropped the last 10 years just wait 2-3 more years. Alco varsity will be grades 9-12 just to have a team. You can see it a mile away based on youth numbers and competition. Has nothing to do with kids shuffling schools. Doesnt work that way here. It may start though if Alco fails to get the numbers up or consolidation happens.
I hate to tell you but players do transfer and it starts at the youth level. I know a kid that lives on north end but he wants to play FH football so he somehow goes to Washington Middle and plays for the patriots. It happens more than you think but ppl act blind to it..

And Alco's most consistent football name over the last 6 years lived in the heart of FH territory, Little Egypt. It's rampant.

Myself and others have had this discussion about where kids live and where they go to school is all over the board. And not just in regards to football. The standard nuclear family just doesn't exist anymore.

Yes FH has had losing seasons but they have never experienced anything close to what Allegany football has gone through these past 15 or so yrs. It goes from losing homecoming every yr. to now losing kids every yr.
Do you think this is the same thing that has happened with fh basketball?

Read my quote again...
" It's a contact sport where Alco barely fields a team and in the future will not be able to at all."

It's football. It's a contact sport. It's not about teaching any damn thing. It's about an extra curricular activity where numbers, safety and the demanding athletic ability of kids to play are paramount.

You talking about FH football or Alco basketball? Either way it's the same two way street

That's insane.
Somebody finally gets the fh basketball comparison. Thank you!

I hate to tell you but players do transfer and it starts at the youth level. I know a kid that lives on north end but he wants to play FH football so he somehow goes to Washington Middle and plays for the patriots. It happens more than you think but ppl act blind to it..

And sooner than most folks think, what happens at the high school level trickles down to middle school: no patsies to kick around 'cause the other middle schools can't field a team. Curse of the over-head bridge.

So, the red-jackets can hoot 'n holler about how the little tykes can kick ass and take names until they are left helmet-in-hand with a note pad and no names to take.

And Alco's most consistent football name over the last 6 years lived in the heart of FH territory, Little Egypt. It's rampant.

Myself and others have had this discussion about where kids live and where they go to school is all over the board. And not just in regards to football. The standard nuclear family just doesn't exist anymore.

And that latest family incarnation may not have started at FH due to 'his turn' politics (despite his being the best all around player in the city). A lesson completely lost as we watch the demise of tradition and Alco football.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
If consolidation doesnt happen maybe we will see a scenario where Alco drops football then kids can attend Alco but play football at FH.

Then Cumberland can finally beat Dunbar for a title :(

If consolidation doesnt happen maybe we will see a scenario where Alco drops football then kids can attend Alco but play football at FH.

Then Cumberland can finally beat Dunbar for a title :(

Even if you combine the squads you're still not going to beat Dunbar (or any other good Maryland team) if you can't pass the ball.

Even if you combine the squads you're still not going to beat Dunbar (or any other good Maryland team) if you can't pass the ball.
I've said this before and been criticized for questioning the almighty gods of the fh coaching staff..however, I can't put my finger on exactly why they refuse to develop a passing game. Any idea? What is your perspective, I would really like to know what a non-fh person thinks of this stubbornness and refusal to adapt in order to beat the team that you are always going to be chasing as long as they are in 1a.

I've said this before and been criticized for questioning the almighty gods of the fh coaching staff..however, I can't put my finger on exactly why they refuse to develop a passing game. Any idea? What is your perspective, I would really like to know what a non-fh person thinks of this stubbornness and refusal to adapt in order to beat the team that you are always going to be chasing as long as they are in 1a.

FH coaching staff is comfortable running the Power Wing T and they have been very successful with it at the 1A level. When you have superior manpower up front it's very difficult to stop. There's really no incentive to develop a passing game because in the current configuration of 1A they can go to the title game every year or make a deep run in the playoffs. And if Dunbar goes back to 2A they can run off a few more championships. But there's a reason they stopped playing Martinsburg and told Friendship they didn't want to play them this year. You're not going to beat them or any other Top 25 Maryland school with a one dimensional attack.

Reactions: OneRing
In the last 5 years FH played 5 schools that were equal or better in talent.

2015 - Sherando - WON
2017 - Melbourne CC - WON
2017 - Friendship - LOST
2017 - Lackey - WON
2017 - Dunbar - LOST

Everyone else was less talented. The Keyser loss of 2016 FH just got out played early in the season. So it is true that FH is only 3-2 against a team that is equal or better talent. Someone who can stop the run will beat FH this year. That is the truth.

I know it was for the playoff game but You guys think Hansel will keep the team on the bus again or what do you trhink his master pregame plan be this year?

I believe that was only done to keep FH guessing if the QB was playing or how they were going to use him.

I know it was for the playoff game but You guys think Hansel will keep the team on the bus again or what do you trhink his master pregame plan be this year?
I think everything is on the table. They have nothing to lose. Maybe a Refosco onside kick to open the game, pick a fight with the FH QB to get him ejected, etc. Hansel knows that " business as usual " ain't gonna cut it, so......

In the last 5 years FH played 5 schools that were equal or better in talent.

2015 - Sherando - WON
2017 - Melbourne CC - WON
2017 - Friendship - LOST
2017 - Lackey - WON
2017 - Dunbar - LOST

Everyone else was less talented. The Keyser loss of 2016 FH just got out played early in the season. So it is true that FH is only 3-2 against a team that is equal or better talent. Someone who can stop the run will beat FH this year. That is the truth.

I'm actually surprised you admit that in the last 5 years you only played 5 schools of equal or better talent. The Melbourne game the penalties were 21-4 against them and it still went down to the last play of the game. If you stop the run it will beat FH every year. But there are only a few 1A schools that really play competitive football so there's no real incentive to change the scheme.

I'm actually surprised you admit that in the last 5 years you only played 5 schools of equal or better talent. The Melbourne game the penalties were 21-4 against them and it still went down to the last play of the game. If you stop the run it will beat FH every year. But there are only a few 1A schools that really play competitive football so there's no real incentive to change the scheme.
DISCUSSING TEAMS ON A GREAT RUN. There are few 4A schools that play competitive football compared to Wise. I dont think Martinsburg has played a single team with better talent in 10 years. There are few 1A schools that play competitive football compared to FH and Dunbar. How many teams has 1A Dunbar played with equal to or better than their talent? Not many. They moved to 2A for 4 years and got no titles after winning it every year in 1A. I get it.

Allow me to exemplify. How many teams has Wise played since their great run started in 2015 that had equal or better talent?
Maybe Calvert Hall this year. The answer is none.

Every time you post the MCC penalties the story gets more exaggerated. LOL. It was 19 penalties to 9 as broken down here last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
DISCUSSING TEAMS ON A GREAT RUN. There are few 4A schools that play competitive football compared to Wise. I dont think Martinsburg has played a single team with better talent in 10 years. There are few 1A schools that play competitive football compared to FH and Dunbar. How many teams has 1A Dunbar played with equal to or better than their talent? Not many. They moved to 2A for 4 years and got no titles after winning it every year in 1A. I get it.

Allow me to exemplify. How many teams has Wise played since their great run started in 2015 that had equal or better talent?

Every time you post the MCC penalties the story gets more exaggerated. LOL. It was 19 penalties to 9 as broken down here last year.
great post

If I were Hansel I would bring the kids down the steps...

I'm sorry, but this is too funny...
There has been more talk of the numbers at allegany this year than I've ever heard before. If you're talking numbers you could look at a couple things that you could interpret as those numbers meaning nothing.

The last 5 years alco has a winning percentage of 69%, the previous 5 comes in at 54%. While the numbers may have went down winning actually went up.

Three seasons under Hansel - 70%
First three seasons under Preaskorn - 81%
Eleven seasons under Preaskorn 67%
This is pretty close. You could argue Hansel is doing more with less but he also doesn't have 11 years under his belt so the comparison isn't completely fair.

So maybe the numbers of players on the sidelines or playing youth league matters but you could also argue that they really don't.

There has been more talk of the numbers at allegany this year than I've ever heard before. If you're talking numbers you could look at a couple things that you could interpret as those numbers meaning nothing.

The last 5 years alco has a winning percentage of 69%, the previous 5 comes in at 54%. While the numbers may have went down winning actually went up.

Three seasons under Hansel - 70%
First three seasons under Preaskorn - 81%
Eleven seasons under Preaskorn 67%
This is pretty close. You could argue Hansel is doing more with less but he also doesn't have 11 years under his belt so the comparison isn't completely fair.

So maybe the numbers of players on the sidelines or playing youth league matters but you could also argue that they really don't.

That is why the talk has increased this year. For cripes sake; it's self evident. Look at the damn FH bench and look at Allegany. The shit has caught up with them.

This is a ridiculous comparison. You bring up Wise then you will probably blame me for talking about PG teams, lol. Just this year Wise has played #5 Calvert Hall, #17 Flowers, they will face #19 Broadneck and #13 Quince Orchard in the final. That's 4 Top 20 schools in one year and they play those same caliber teams every year to win the 4A title.

The MCC penalties were reported by the Times-News: https://www.times-news.com/sports/l...cle_23e001ae-b19d-11e7-95b3-4ff24cc2e8a4.html

This is a ridiculous comparison. You bring up Wise then you will probably blame me for talking about PG teams, lol. Just this year Wise has played #5 Calvert Hall, #17 Flowers, they will face #19 Broadneck and #13 Quince Orchard in the final. That's 4 Top 20 schools in one year and they play those same caliber teams every year to win the 4A title.

The MCC penalties were reported by the Times-News: https://www.times-news.com/sports/l...cle_23e001ae-b19d-11e7-95b3-4ff24cc2e8a4.html

Broadneck is already out. Lost to 6-4 South River.

Times News is off on a lot stats post game. The MCC penalties for MCC was 19. Two of them in my opinion were bad calls, the other 17 were legit penalties as I recall from watching rewatching the game.

I have seen the Times News stats be off often on rushing yards and penalties a good bit for a lot of teams.

How many of those teams had eQual or better talent than Wise? Same with Dunbar. Same with FH. Same with Martinsburg. Same with Damascus.

It was 19 penalties to 9, which was posted here after a breakdown of video. Not 21 to 4 as you tried to exaggerate.

Last edited:
How many of those teams had eQual or better talent than Wise? Same with Dunbar. Same with FH. Same with Martinsburg. Same with Damascus.

It was 19 penalties to 9, which was posted here after a breakdown of video. Not 21 to 4 as you tried to exaggerate.

Once again you can argue with me but you can't argue with the numbers. In the next three weekends #7 Wise will have to face three Top #17 schools (and QO will probably be close to #10 by that time) in a row to win the state championship. All three of these schools are elite Maryland teams and have equal talent. This is the reality in 4A. This is what most teams have to face in the playoffs. I think FH fans got a little bit spoiled those 4 years when Dunbar went to 2A.

I think FH fans got a little bit spoiled those 4 years when Dunbar went to 2A.

No question about that. Timing and luck are many times very important to winning titles at any level in any sport. At the same time FH has had to play Dunbar 6 times to win a title. Lost 5 of them. Several other teams have not been made to travel that same road of playing Dunbar 6 times to win a title. Timing and luck.

Dunbar is a good 1A team. That showed when they went to 2A, I dont think they won a championship in 2A. Their last year they didnt even make it to the 2A championship game.

Dunbar is a good 1A team. That showed when they went to 2A, I dont think they won a championship in 2A. Their last year they didnt even make it to the 2A championship game.

Exactly, I'm not sure where people got the idea Dunbar was a great team. Someone else here pointed out they don't play against great competition either. Last year they weren't ranked all season.

Exactly, I'm not sure where people got the idea Dunbar was a great team. Someone else here pointed out they don't play against great competition either. Last year they weren't ranked all season.
As most on this board have claimed you have to beat a great team to be a great team, and their claim to fame is they beat fh for several of their titles then that would have to mean fh is a great team. FH is a good 1a team, not great. Perhaps dunbar is the greatest team that competes in 1a, but when they are moved up they don't win titles. Then fh becomes the greatest team in 1a...but again, what is great?

As most on this board have claimed you have to beat a great team to be a great team, and their claim to fame is they beat fh for several of their titles then that would have to mean fh is a great team. FH is a good 1a team, not great. Perhaps dunbar is the greatest team that competes in 1a, but when they are moved up they don't win titles. Then fh becomes the greatest team in 1a...but again, what is great?

Great is probably not the most accurate adjective but both Dunbar and FH have good squads consistently and are definitely the BEST teams in 1A. Both of these coaching staffs are committed to producing winning teams and it shows on the field. The kids work hard and the coaches are dedicated. They are "football programs". Very few schools on the 1A level have the same level of commitment and available resources. I think that's why some parents get confused when their kids don't get recruited. Just because you're running over Silver Oak and Surrattsville doesn't mean you should be playing college football (at any level). The kids you've been running over will be playing intermural basketball in college. At 2A you're going against more "football programs" in the playoffs. That's what Dunbar learned.

I think that's why some parents get confused when their kids don't get recruited. Just because you're running over Silver Oak and Surrattsville doesn't mean you should be playing college football (at any level). The kids you've been running over will be playing intermural basketball in college.

Yes, this is very, very true. The hard part is when there is that rare kid from this area that potentially has D1 potential, he isn't going to get looked at sitting around Western Maryland playing small ball. They have to try and overcome that by getting their face and resume out to college campuses. Go to them. Bang on doors. Any parent reading this, get you sons to those summer camps. Force those coaches to watch you on their own turf. If a college coach does not see your face on his campus, there is no chance they will offer any scholarship money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT