ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Friends of Cumberland

Feb 7, 2016
I have been around Brunswick sports my whole life and especially Brunswick football. Just heard that Brunswick is on Fort Hill's schedule for week 1. Just want to see if anyone can confirm that? And if so, it will be very ugly. We are really in a downhill struggle and heard they lost most of their coaching staff. Team consists mostly of juniors and sophomores. Not good for Brunswick football at this time.

Kudos for the Railroaders doing something most of 1A & 2A West won't do...play Fort Hill or Allegany. You guys are on both schedules. I hoping you can put it all back together soon! The Railroaders have played some great football in the recent past! Great QB's especially! Good luck!

Yeah I hope we get back to a couple of years ago,numbers are just down and the new head coach ,well just leave it at that lol. I will talk more when high school football season starts back up. But would like to wish you all a safe trip to Brunswick. if you all have any question about Brunswick just let me know..

I am in Brunswick one to two times a month. It's a nice ride. I would hope the massive development of the area does not go to far and destroy the scenic views. I like the field and how it is laid off, natural grass and the train car on the hill.

Reactions: Railroaderpride001
Yea for sure a huge tip of the respect hat goes out to Brunswick. Last team to beat FH in the playoffs. Much respect for the Railroaders. This is only a 1 year deal I think because of the Man Valley consolidation.

I hope not Brian H. I hope we sign longer. I think we should play each other every year. I look at it like this, if you are going to beat the best, you have to play the best. And Linemen, they are putting up all kinds of developments around here. They are putting one up in the Jefferson area. That's our draw area. Brunswick is growing up fast. I enjoy playing you guys. That was the best high school game I have seen in a long time when we beat you all in that last second win. Looking forward to seeing you guys. Great atmosphere up at your stadium.

Kudos to Brunswick. As Aretha Franklin once said, R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

A regional bad example:
It should also be noted that Boonsboro (the biggest Class 1A school who went undefeated last year in the regular season) did have the same open dates that both Alco and FH had for 2016. The begging and pleading with them from multiple angles did no good. Boonsboro also dropped Northern for 2016 after a one year game at Boonsboro. They filled it with someone far less competitive. So all you schedule knockers can send the disdain that direction for once. Boonsboro doesn't wish to play either Alco or FH because they feel the only chance they have of beating either Cumberland school is to outpoint them and get them at home in a playoff game. To quote, "We have no chance of beating Alco or Fort Hill at Greenway Avenue Stadium especially with the refs." - Boonsboro coach.

My reply is "How has that scheduling philosophy worked out for you over the years?"
It is in every regional teams best interest to play the Cumberland schools once during the regular season so their kids don't panic the first time they see them in the playoffs. I can tell you that Boonsboro kids are massively intimidated when FH comes down those steps. I know because multiple Boonsboro coaches of the past that came here said so. At least with a regular season deal they can also get a game with a Cumberland school in their own back yard.

Every year it seems, I spy half or at least 1/3 of Boonsboro's team at Greenway for Homecoming. I love it. I have no idea why those boys feel the need to come up here to "the big show" in the West Region, every year it seems they look on in awe at the spectacle. They may have taken Allegany to the wire at home this year, but no way they wanted any part of Fort Hill, they never do. It all starts at the top with Clayton Anders, he fancies himself some sort of a coaching legend in Washington County, all the while ducking the big dogs an hour westward. My all time favorite quote of his is the one time Boonsboro was heading to Greenway to face Fort Hill in the playoffs and he quipped "I just hope we get a fair shake up there" in either the Hagerstown or Frederick paper. What a joke, I hope Fort Hill gets them this coming year and pounds them into submission.

Big ups to Brunswick, I know ya'll took it to us the last time and that things have changed, but mad respect for stepping up.

Last edited:
Yeah our own county sticks it to us we have to play schools like Walkersville and Middletown, but hey its who you know in Frederick county. They could care less about us and who we want to play. Our JV team don't stand a chance because they got them playing all 3a and2a teams. And Boonsboro we will get them back one day for what they did to us last year up 40 by half and running the 2 min drill on us. They beat us 63 to 7. Like I said we are down for the next 2 years but we have a ninth grade team and 8 grade team that is pretty good hope to being back. I just think we have the wrong head coach. jmo.

Yeah our own county sticks it to us we have to play schools like Walkersville and Middletown, but hey its who you know in Frederick county. They could care less about us and who we want to play. Our JV team don't stand a chance because they got them playing all 3a and2a teams.

I have to say that I disagree with this statement. Brunswick varsity football is only mandated by Frederick County to play the other 2A schools and Frederick, who requested to play in the smaller school division because of the quality of their program. A 1A school having to play against 2A schools is not "sticking it" to you. If Walkersville and Middletown were not quality programs, there would be no complaining. The quality of the program and/or team is out of the Counties control.

As for the non-football sports, where numbers are less of an issue, Brunswick complained about having to play the 3A schools twice so the County agreed to let them only play the 3A schools once. I don't see this as the County being out to get Brunswick.

Just my opinion though.

Yes Lancer, it is unfair to us. Do you think it's fair our freshmen has to play an all J.V. schedule with teams like Oakdale, with a 53 man roster. There is no freshmen football in Frederick County unless you pay for it. All of our 10th graders were moved up to Varsity because of our numbers. This county could care less about Brunswick. We are the last one to get anything done. We played with 5 seniors last year and it doesn't get any better this year. Our numbers are down. And remember this, we don't have to go to Hagerstown to get players. Rick Conner was one of my coaches (who I respect and is one of the best coaches in Frederick County) back in the 80's for Brunswick when we could compete with the Middletowns and the Linganores. I just think Walkersville and Middletown's program are too big with numbers with their draw area. Remember we are 1 of the smallest 1a schools in Maryland, so why shouldn't we play all 1a schools. As you see we scheduled 2 of the best 1a schools in Maryland with Fort Hill and Allegany. Sorry Lancer, if you want your 1400 plus kids to play a school with 700 or less so the mighty Lancers can whip up on us. This is why one of the best coaches in the county, Pat Foster, is not coaching in Brunswick anymore. And that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Did Brunswick ask the County to play football independently? Clear Spring football does this in Washington County and plays in County for most, if not all, of their other sports. If Brunswick did ask this due to numbers and the County denied it, then maybe I can see the gripe. However, I still don't see requiring a 1A school to play a 2A school as being unjust. There are plenty of 1A schools in other jurisdictions that have to play larger schools each year. It is not uncommon.

But to be clear, never once did I mention or advocate for Brunswick to play Varsity football against the 3A schools of Frederick County. Now the other sports, I do believe they can, and do, compete well with the larger schools and should be playing them.

Last edited:
Lancer fan sorry I came off a little bitter. BUT we did ask for a independent schedule but the county told us no and that we had to stay in county. We did that when Pat Foster was coaching. But mostly I was talking about our freshmen having to play an all JV schedule, because we did not pay for the freshmen schedule. We had like 15 10th graders and all but one got moved up to Varsity. We are going to take a beat down again this year. The 1a teams will beat us by 50. I hate to see the score of our first game against Fort Hill. I just wish the running clock would start in the first quarter. Our program is the worst I have ever seen right now. The head coach doesn't know what he is doing and he has lost some good coaches, which are the ones who coached with Pat Foster. I hate to be down on our program, but its the truth. So anyway, good luck to the Lancers this year and Coach Conner. It was fun playing against them in the 80's. They were some hard hitting games. Plus we didn't like each other, lol.

Nah, it's all good! I was at the Brunswick state title game in the monsoon against Forestville and also the playoff win at Fort Hill. I would love to see them get back to that. With the growth in that area, I see the numbers issue getting better.

Unfortunately I dont see a good solution to the Freshman and JV problem, especially with the budget issues. Very few counties go outside of the County for Freshman and JV and some counties dont even have Freshman, Frederick County now included. I feel like the budget issue is also the reasoning for not allowing an independent schedule because of the increased travel costs. Sadly, it looks like the program at Frederick is in the same boat. It wouldn't surprise me to see Frederick unable to a field a football program in the very near future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT