ADVERTISEMENT

Fulton Walker Martinsburg

bigsavage

Blue Chip Poster
Dec 4, 2007
Just saw where Fulton passed away.. Fulton played at Martisnburg in the late 70's and later at wvu.. He played his NFL career for the Dolphins and Raiders.. He was the first player to return a kickoff off in Superbowl history... I had the pleasure of personally knowing Fulton and he took my brother under his wing... He was very friendly, funny, down to earth, and personable.. Before getting to know him shortly after in life, I will always remember him pulling me aside after playing Martinsburg and giving me kind words, it was an honor.. My condolences to the Walker family...

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-wvu/20161012/former-wvu-nfl-player-fulton-walker-dies-at-58

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Just saw where Fulton passed away.. Fulton played at Martisnburg in the late 70's and later at wvu.. He played his NFL career for the Dolphins and Raiders.. He was the first player to return a kickoff off in Superbowl history... I had the pleasure of personally knowing Fulton and he took my brother under his wing... He was very friendly, funny, down to earth, and personable.. Before getting to know him later in life, I will always remember him pulling me aside after playing Martinsburg and giving me kind words, it was an honor.. My condolences to the Walker family...

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-wvu/20161012/former-wvu-nfl-player-fulton-walker-dies-at-58

Big Savage, your Fort Hill 96 team demolished Martinsburg 54-13, only a gracious man, a stand up guy like Mr. Walker would have sought you out after a game like that. But, do you remember the Fort Hill/Martinsburg game of 1993? In that game, a game in which Fort Hill won in overtime 29-28 in dramatic fashion, Fulton's son, Kevin Walker I believe, broke his leg in that game at Greenway. Fultom Walker was there that game on the sidelines.

For those that don't fully understand, Fulton Walker is to Martinsburg Football would Steve Trimble is to Fort Hill football.

Big Savage, your Fort Hill 96 team demolished Martinsburg 54-13, only a gracious man, a stand up guy like Mr. Walker would have sought you out after a game like that. But, do you remember the Fort Hill/Martinsburg game of 1993? In that game, a game in which Fort Hill won in overtime 29-28 in dramatic fashion, Fulton's son, Kevin Walker I believe, broke his leg in that game at Greenway. Fultom Walker was there that game on the sidelines.

For those that don't fully understand, Fulton Walker is to Martinsburg Football would Steve Trimble is to Fort Hill football.

I vaguely remember the game not the injury. I'll have to ask Kevin about the injury...There was a lot of great football played back then between Cumberland and those schools... Steve Trimble and Fulton were before my time but those games against Fulton's nephew Marsalis Basey and and Jefferson's James Jet will always stand out in my mind... They were great for a young kid in Cumberland to see.

Holy crap, had no idea Marsalis Basey was Fulton's nephew, wow. Kevin definitely got hurt in the FH/Martinsburg game in 93 at Greenway---I'm thinking maybe he was only a sophomore, or at least maybe it was his replacement that came in that was only a sophomore. Can you imagine Steve Trimble (FH) and Fulton Walker (MB) being on the field competing at the same time, that's good football.

Holy crap, had no idea Marsalis Basey was Fulton's nephew, wow. Kevin definitely got hurt in the FH/Martinsburg game in 93 at Greenway---I'm thinking maybe he was only a sophomore, or at least maybe it was his replacement that came in that was only a sophomore. Can you imagine Steve Trimble (FH) and Fulton Walker (MB) being on the field competing at the same time, that's good football.

Lol I don't know if it was his nephew or just a term of endearment. But he always called Marsalis his nephew. Its crazy b/c the people that really knew Fulton called him brother. So they just could have been terms of endearment. I never asked either of them I just always assumed he was... I was trying to do the math on 93 and remember the game because Kevin is around my age he had to be a sophomore. As far as imagining Steve Trimble and Fulton Walker competing that was something else. Can't forget about Lyle Peck. Fulton showed me the tap of him playing FH along with many other football tapes and his Super bowl touchdown run:). He was a genuinely good guy and a mentor to a lot people, kids and adults alike.

Last edited:
Marsalis Basey. The 80 yard punt he kicked at Greenway Avenue stadium in 1989 still has to be a record. Granted it probably rolled for 30 of those yards, but still. Yeezus.

Marsalis Basey. The 80 yard punt he kicked at Greenway Avenue stadium in 1989 still has to be a record. Granted it probably rolled for 30 of those yards, but still. Yeezus.

I remember that punt it was incredible! Marsalis was an excellent athlete in his own right, football, basketball and baseball. He played basketball at WVU and was a 1,000 pt scorer. As good as he was in basketball I thought he was even better in football. Do you guys remember the basketball game at FH where he and Willie Hawley went toe to toe? Besides the 80 yd punt another play of his that stands out is when he ran over the FH defensive lineman for a long touchdown score.. He was a heck of an option quarterback. As a follow up I think Fulton was in fact Marsalis' uncle people are sending their condolences to both the Walker and Basey families on Facebook...

Last edited:
I remember watching Fulton (A.K.A "Preacher") playing against FH. One heck of an athlete! Sorry for his loss, but hoping he is living on in heaven...

My uncle Coached with him at Martinsburg and always said how great of a guy he was.
I also remember Marsalis Basey coming to Cumberland to play FH and playing in Silver Hoop
man he was great to watch as well even though I was really young.

Reactions: bigsavage
I miss Fort Hill/Martinsburg, I really do.
Brings back good memories and great moments from the 80's to the early 90's with all the talent that FH, M'Burg, Jefferson. Great and exciting games with all 3. The trimbles,Peck.Jett and Car, The Walkers and Basey I could list more. RIP Fulton. Martinsburg lost a fine Man and incredible athelete!!! Prayers

Brings back good memories and great moments from the 80's to the early 90's with all the talent that FH, M'Burg, Jefferson. Great and exciting games with all 3. The trimbles,Peck.Jett and Car, The Walkers and Basey I could list more. RIP Fulton. Martinsburg lost a fine Man and incredible athelete!!! Prayers
Sorry excluded the 70's also. My mistake

Yes Fulton and Basey are related.
The best story I know about Fulton Walker.
He is the answer to a WV high School Playoff trivia question.
Who is the only guy in WV High School Playoff history to rush for negative yards in a playoff game against the Parkersburg Big Reds, but score a TD in the NFL Super Bowl?
1976 at Martinsburg, Parkersburg held Fulton Walker to a negative 30 yards rushing.

Ed, I've read the story on the WV Board, doesn't it go something along the lines of Parkersburg picked up a "tell" or tendency for Martinsburg's fullback or something and the Big Reds knew where the ball was going every play? Well anyway, it certainly doesn't take anything away from the greatness of Fulton Walker, his graciousness, and all his accomplishments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT