ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill SHOULD Have Homefield Throughout Clinched BEFORE Homecoming

PolkHighPride

All State Poster
Aug 21, 2012
Going by Neutral Observers projections (which are based off MaxPreps higher rated teams winning all remaining games), it looks as if the win over Mountain Ridge Friday night SHOULD clinch Homefield Advantage throughout the playoffs for Fort Hill, even with a loss to Allegany at Homecoming (should an upset occur).

Of course, no Fort Hill fan wants to lose Homecoming and of course no Red Raider would want to go into the playoff game knowing they had already lost to Allegany, but, it is certainly comforting to know that "3 straight at Greenway" should be in the cards for the Sentinels should they continue to win.

Not just a playoff spot but Homefield Advantage Throughout likely clinched before Homecoming, I'll take it.

(Disclaimer: These are projections, so anything could happen, but in my opinion this is the likely scenario)

This post was edited on 10/29 12:00 PM by PolkHighPride

This post was edited on 10/29 12:04 PM by PolkHighPride

Originally posted by Waggle Pass:
FH's 36 bonus points are the most of any team in any class. Great job cupcakes!
Those cupcakes are from Jennifer Desserts, loaded with sprinkles and filled with some decadent chocolate and cream!

wink.r191677.gif

A Week 9 win for Ft. Hill will clinch the #1 seed in the 1A West, but it will not clinch the overall #1 seed in 1A.

Edmondson, Douglass-B, Cambridge/SD and Forestville could all finish ahead of a 9-1 Ft. Hill.

Only Edmondson could finish ahead of a 10-0 Ft. Hill.

More than anyone in 1a!!!! Hell you forgot to mention it's more than anyone in 1 2 3 or even 4A. FH has the most bonus points in the entire state PERIOD.... Gooooooood cupcakes!!!

This post was edited on 10/29 3:37 PM by GenSneaky

Edmondson is a slight favorite to beat Dunbar in Week 9 and a slight underdog to Mervo in Week 10.

If Edmondson wins out and all other MaxPreps favorites win, Edmondson WILL pass Ft. Hill for the overall #1 seed regardless of what Ft. Hill does in Weeks 9 & 10.

It shouldn't surprise anyone Cumbfanatic. I remember in 2002 an 8-2 FH team missed out in the 2A play-offs. Edmondson will play the Dunbar's and 3A and 4A schools.

Just so it's perfectly clear, I know there are scenarios in which Fort Hill will not clinch Homefield after week 9 but they are unlikely, which is why I've posted the emphatic SHOULD.

With respect to Edmondson possibly finishing ahead of Fort Hill in the #1 position, I understand that's possible, but it doesn't matter, #2 gets you the goods, which is a front row seat within the friendly confines of Greenway for 3 straight weeks.

We won a state championship wearing the white jersey last year, it's all good.

This post was edited on 10/29 9:40 PM by PolkHighPride

No. 1 or No. 2 overall seed is irrelevant. Both those seeds get guaranteed home field for three playoff games. The only difference is who gets to wear the dark colored jerseys at M&T should the No. 1 and No. 2 seed get there.

From a fort hill fan losing homecoming is not the end of the world. Might be a good thing to keep them sharp through out the playoffs..

I think people are misinformed if not being a little bit disingenuous to pound your chest and gloat over Fort Hill's bonus points. As if somehow that is a true indicator of how tough Fort Hills schedule is.. A qood question to ask is who are the teams FH's opponents beat.. Take for instance Chestnut Ridges schedule looks like they beat only one quality opponent...
Everett Pa? c'mon according to max preps their 5-4, Bald Eagle 2-7 Phillipsburg 0-9, St. Joe's Catholic 2-7,
Penns Valley 2-7. So sure Chestnut Ridge is 8-1 playing a bunch of teams with losing records.. Sure Capital Christian according to Maxpreps is 8-2 beating teams like Central Maryland Christian Crusaders? and Central Virginia Homeschool? I don't think bonus points is a true indicator of how strong someone's schedule is when you beat a team that is 9-0 playing who got that way by playing a bunch of creampuffs. Or a team that is 6-4 but they lost to quality opponents with winning records... Let's be honest here even though Capital Christian is 8-2 according to maxpreps, who can honestly say they were a quality opponent?
ohwell.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 10/29 6:58 PM by bigsavage

Chestnut Ridge had also beat a good Central and what many believe to be a good Allegany. Your point is? I guess what I'm saying is some of you act as though the FH powers to be set up at night and designed this masterful schedule which garners all of these points on purpose. The teams they are playing are having success. Kent Island just beat a 6-2 Easton. Chestnut Ridge has played some decent teams. Fort Hill is playing some decent teams. Are they all power houses? No. Remember last week's power house CCA was a last second pickup. Nothing more.

This post was edited on 10/29 7:24 PM by FortHillFan89

People know that the deal is, they're not jaded, they see the competition out on the field. But, we win a state title last year in impressive and dominating fashion and didn't play a bunch of world beaters. Why should we, we're a small 1A school in rural Western Maryland, we should be playing a schedule that positions us well for a playoff run in 1A......we did that last year and it worked so we like our odds his year. The chest pounding is more to prove to people that they can bitch about the schedule all they want but it is a damn fine schedule from a strategic perspective.......how could it not be, we're gonna clinch Homefield throughout before the Bloody Marys get consumed for Homecoming breakfast.......people chest pound because they like what they see, how could we be in a better position?

This post was edited on 10/29 9:39 PM by PolkHighPride

Who really cares what teams Edmondson plays?

Last year, Douglass beat Edmondson in the South Regional but experienced a 25-0 loss in the 1A state finals. Get the point?

Forthillfan89
"Chestnut Ridge had also beat a good Central"

maybe you missed it in your haste to offer up a rebuttal, but I did mention Chestnut Ridge playing a quality opponent. "Take for instance Chestnut Ridges schedule looks like they beat only one quality opponent..." And I thought my point was quite clear but if you didn't get it then oh well

FH must have scheduled their own playoffs last year as well... It was pretty smart to get opponents that only scored 13 points the entire post season!!! It was pretty smart to make sure we played douglass in the state final too considering they couldn't score a single point

This post was edited on 10/30 11:19 AM by GenSneaky

Originally posted by bigsavage:

I think people are misinformed if not being a little bit disingenuous to pound your chest and gloat over Fort Hill's bonus points. As if somehow that is a true indicator of how tough Fort Hills schedule is.. A qood question to ask is who are the teams FH's opponents beat.. Take for instance Chestnut Ridges schedule looks like they beat only one quality opponent...
Everett Pa? c'mon according to max preps their 5-4, Bald Eagle 2-7 Phillipsburg 0-9, St. Joe's Catholic 2-7,
Penns Valley 2-7. So sure Chestnut Ridge is 8-1 playing a bunch of teams with losing records.. Sure Capital Christian according to Maxpreps is 8-2 beating teams like Central Maryland Christian Crusaders? and Central Virginia Homeschool? I don't think bonus points is a true indicator of how strong someone's schedule is when you beat a team that is 9-0 playing who got that way by playing a bunch of creampuffs. Or a team that is 6-4 but they lost to quality opponents with winning records... Let's be honest here even though Capital Christian is 8-2 according to maxpreps, who can honestly say they were a quality opponent?
ohwell.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 10/29 6:58 PM by bigsavage
Jealousy or hatred? I say both.

Would you make the same comments if this were blue having this success?

AllRed95
Assume much? Being that I played and graduated from Fh I would say it was a little bit of both in case that went over your head that's called sarcasm. This is going to be my one and response to you...

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

This post was edited on 10/30 5:24 PM by bigsavage

Why don't you act like you played for and are a grad and fan of FH then? The scheduling job this year is pure genious. Why so negative about the schedule if you bleed red?

Because I don't blindly follow anything in life nor would I fall in line and be a good toy soldier simply because I'm a graduate of fh.. I don't vote democrat simply because my Father may have been a democrat. I call a spade a spade... That's called thinking critically and independentely for one's self. The point I'm making that a few have missed, isn't whether or not Fh's schedule is genius or whether or not it does or doesn't work for them... I was addressing those posters that are acting like Fh's schedule is a challenging one based off bonus points. Which isn't a true indication of how tough one's schedule is nothing more nothing less. Reading comprehension is critical so too is staying on topic...

This post was edited on 10/31 3:23 AM by bigsavage

well said big savage. alot of these posters from fh probably never put a helmet on and if they did they probably didnt play. if you are objective on this board at all about scheduling or anything that these fh fanatics deem to be critical of the team, they get on here and attack. simply put, fh is a very good football team with an adequate 1 a schedule, but if chestnut ridge is your measuring stick of a good football team you are sadly mistaken. to fh's credit they beat douglass 25-0 last year making fh the best team in 1-a by far. i will say the same thing when they beat edmondson in the 1-a final. without a doubt we are at least #2 in 1-a. that is a very good accomplisment. but dont attack people on here that are critical of the schedule. it doesnt mean we are attacking this talented fh team.

That's exactly the point I was making thank you for getting it...

This post was edited on 10/31 12:25 PM by bigsavage

But here is the problem. The only time bigsavage and posters like him chime in is to bitch and moan about the schedule. Bitch and moan, bitch and moan. Yea, we heard you the first time. You don't care about what Allegany or other schools in our area or class are doing because Fort Hill bitch and moan, bitch and moan. Do you have anything else to contribute? You see, that's the problem. It's people like you that drag Cumberland into the retched cesspool it has become. Always bitching and moaning about the same thing. Doing the same thing over and over and over again. If it has anything to do with change then you waste your energy trying to get rid of it. A brain stuck in time. FOR THE 500TH TIME EVERYBODY AROUND HERE IS CLASS 1A. WHAT PART ABOUT THAT DON'T YOU LUGHEADS GET? You remember Bruce, Valley, Beall? Same class. I have yet to see any FH fan boast about the Sentinels being worthy of winning a 2A or 3A title here. But in regards to 1A, yes it's a good schedule. I don't care if you did or didn't play football at FH, you are a typical Cumberland mentality who still believes it is the past.

Brian1974 still doesn't get it.. I only chimed in because people are pounding their chest about how tough fh's schedule is based off bonus points. Stop bragging and falsely representing the schedule and I won't have a comment...

This post was edited on 10/31 12:31 PM by bigsavage

Who is pounding their chest and saying how tough FH's schedule is? Please show me because I must have missed something.

Scroll up to the cupcake references which is a sarcastic insinuation that Fh's opponents must not be cupcakes since Fh has all these bonus points. Unless I'm reading wrong if so my apologizes. But I don't think I am...

Fort Hill's schedule shows how there scheduled games work the mpssaa point system,
Mpssaa awards bonus points for opponent wins,so if you play a ten game schedule and all of your opponents win all games and you are their only loss,you can be awarded 90 bonus points. That said Fort Hill has earned a little over one third of all possible bonus points. Remember it is possible to get more bonus points from a "cupcake" in your classifaction than beating a larger classified opponent and getting no bonus points
I can remember playing larger opponents and not getting enough bonus points to make the playoffs, the 1 thru 16 statewide allows a strong region show it's talent to the whole state, AND we all agree the mpssaa will not let that happen.

I get it now. If you play ten teams who are 0-10 and you win all the games, it's a cupcake schedule. If you play eight teams who have won 36 of their games, it's a cupcake schedule. Now, I get it. Makes perfect sense. Unless FH plays DeMatha, Gilman, McDonogh, Good Counsel, Mt. St. Joseph, Henry Wise, Eleanor Roosevelt, Martinsburg, Massillon, and De La Salle, it's a bunch of cupcakes. Who cares if the teams you've beaten won a bunch of games? That doesn't mean squat, especially if they're on FH's schedule. I now totally understand. Thanks for clarifying. FH should be playing a 4A schedule. We get it. Why I let myself get dragged into this debate is crazy. It's funny that we only ever argue about FH's schedule. Reason? Because they're successful at what they do and other teams aren't.

Yes it's cupcakes when your opponents wins come against teams like Everett, Virginia home school Christian crusaders.. Lol if you can't see that someone needs their glasses checked.. You're not fooling me into drinking the cool aid. Now I'm going to resort. Back to this quote because it's a waste of time trying to reason and have an intelligent conversation with the
majority of you...

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead"
Thomas Paine

The term "cupcake schedule" is simply a relative term that can only be defined by the culture in which it exists.

Heck, in a bakery setting it simply means the timeline for making different types of cupcakes. That type of a cupcake schedule could be quite different depending on many variables.

Yes, FH does have the highest number of bonus points, so logic 101 says at 8-0 the Sentinels are playing some teams that are winning - nothing more and nothing less. If they are playing a cupcake schedule, what does that say about the teams their opponents are playing and beating? Are those teams less than cupcakes?

Are there multiple levels of cupcake schedules?

It wasn't too many years ago that BW went 9-1. During that year, BW played a schedule that met its needs. All schools in the area, including 1A FH, have done and continue to do the same.

In reality, who cares what schedule a team plays if, at the end of a season, it accomplishes its primary goal?

I think what you're missing is no one here is stating that FH is playing the #1 toughest schedule in the state of MD. If someone did state that, please correct me. What we are all trying to say is that FH plays 1A football, plays an appropriate, challenging schedule for 1A football, and yes, Chestnut Ridge, Keyser, and Kent Island are all tough opponents for a small, 1A school, such as Fort Hill, or Allegany for that matter. FH will not see teams any tougher than those 3 at any point before the state semifinals. I'm not sure what your problem is with understanding that FH plays an appropriate, challenging schedule for 1A, small school football. Why you continue to rag on it is beyond me. It is what it is and is appropriate. FH's schedule prepares them for a 1A title run. They're not trying to win a 4A title.

Lol I think a lot of you have tin foil caps on or something.. The point isn't whether or not fh plays an appropriate schedule. I'm not debating that. For about the 10th time I'm debating those people who think somehow having bonus points equates to having a tough schedule.. C'mon guys this is reading comp 101

This post was edited on 10/31 1:49 PM by bigsavage

The end goal of a high school football season is to win a state title. FH accomplished that last year and is hoping to repeat that this year. Congrats to FH for that accomplishment last year and good luck to repeating it this year.

Allred,

I could not say it better myself. This is ridiculous at the most extreme definition.

Please post a more appropriate 1A schedule. I will tell you pretty much every 1A school is one injury away from instability. That is a fact! So while each level has a little deeper pocket to pull from, be happy the dynamic duo on the hill looks out for our kids. That is all you can ask for. I really do not think you can post a 10 game schedule that tests FH, gives FH time to heal, and produces the results you see with the current schedule.

This game is measured in wins and losses. Every other statistic matters nothing unless there is a "W" tacked on to the end. While to a degree you bring good points to the whole discussion, there are very few teams who load the schedule. Keyser plays a competitive schedule and we have a "W" against them. I think we should all be glad we have who we have looking after these kids and the results produced instead of arguing over stupid crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT