ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill or Hampshire?

Agree with you bigdawg. I think the mid to late season FH teams beats the mid to late season Keyser team.

I agree, too, but wait and see what the Keyser folks have to say. It won't be pretty!

I agree with Boyznblue, Keyser has a legitimate argument for the area title. They defeated Ft Hill, Alco, Northern. All three were 1A playoff teams. It will be an interesting discussion, no doubt!

Reactions: camper21502
Ft Hill for sure. I know what they have coming back next year but what about Alco and Keyser? Are they playoff caliber teams also?

If the area championship includes post season, then it goes to Fort Hill. If FH wins the title, then a 7 point loss to Keyser would be the only blemish on an otherwise perfect state championship run.

On the other hand, Keyser lost to a 3-7 area non-playoff team, and then got shut out by another team in a huge lopsided loss. And then lost again in the playoffs.

You can lose to a team in your division/conference/whatever and still win the group. But if you lose multiple games in a season and bow out of the playoffs early, I don't see how you can be considered the "overall" area champion. The area championship is about the whole package from start to finish, not one game. JMO. I don't think Keyser has a "compelling" case. If Keyser had made it to the finals and lost to only Bridgeport again, or if they hadn't lost to Hampshire, etc..there might be some compulsion..but not with all of that together.

If the area championship includes post season, then it goes to Fort Hill. If FH wins the title, then a 7 point loss to Keyser would be the only blemish on an otherwise perfect state championship run.

On the other hand, Keyser lost to a 3-7 area non-playoff team, and then got shut out by another team in a huge lopsided loss. And then lost again in the playoffs.

You can lose to a team in your division/conference/whatever and still win the group. But if you lose multiple games in a season and bow out of the playoffs early, I don't see how you can be considered the "overall" area champion. The area championship is about the whole package from start to finish, not one game. JMO. I don't think Keyser has a "compelling" case. If Keyser had made it to the finals and lost to only Bridgeport again, or if they hadn't lost to Hampshire, etc..there might be some compulsion..but not with all of that together.

Keyser has a huge blemish, that loss to Hampshire. But the losses to Bridgeport and Fairmont, both quality playoff teams, aren't that bad. And especially Bridgeport, they would have beat FH and Alco the same way.

Keyser won on the road against FH and defeated Alco by a much larger margin than FH did in either game.

If Fort Hill wins the state, as everyone pretty much expects them to, they will also present a "compelling" argument to be number one. Like kkram said, it will an interesting discussion. Whoever finishes #2 will have a legitimate complaint.

The area title should be based one area competition, otherwise, Frankfort has a compelling case some years. Plus, WV AA is far more difficult than Maryland 1A. The only hang up I'd say that should be used against Keyser in discussing an area would be the loss to Hampshire, which I think is more than made up for by the fact that Keyser beat Fort Hill at Fort Hill in a classic game and then dominated the same ALCO team that took Fort Hill 4 full quarters to beat twice.

If Keyser isn't area champs, then I no longer understand any need for Keyser to worry about any mythical area title.

Congrats to Fort Hill on the run. 3 in a row is a huge accomplishment. They easily have 4 or possibly 5 in them. That program is a machine right now.

OMG some of you never cease to amaze. You are joking right? Let's get this straight. Assuming FH wins state, On one side there is a team with a 12-1 record with a state title. On the other side there is a 9-3 team that got bounced in the 2nd round and lost to a 3-7 Hampshire team. But Keyser beat FH by 7 points in the 2nd week and they make a "compelling" case to be voted area champ? Wow.

Using this analogy a 9-3 Ole Miss team should be ahead of a 12-1 Alabama team in the playoff race. Yet they are miles apart according to the voters. Not even close.

No one here is qualified to vote for squat because to much hate and personal feelings.
Myself included. but i also know that If u put such an area vote up to an independent panel they would laugh. Of course FH is #1. It's not even close.

The only place this will be discussed is places like this. Because the Times-News did away with the Area Football Poll 3 or 4 years ago despite the fact they have one for every other sport. The reason is because area teams won't play each other in football. I could not agree more. There is no such a thing as a true area champion if teams won't play each other. The only place I saw an organization do this publicly using multiple voters is on WCBC.

Reactions: fooseballfamily
Keyser has a huge blemish, that loss to Hampshire. But the losses to Bridgeport and Fairmont, both quality playoff teams, aren't that bad. And especially Bridgeport, they would have beat FH and Alco the same way.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Bridgeport may have beaten Fort Hill, though I'd wager money on anything less than a 7 point spread. But I guarantee you FH doesn't get beat 38-0.

Keyser is a solid #2. I could even go with shared titled with FH and KHS. But, I think the Hampshire loss is a bigger loss for Keyser than the FH loss to Keyser.

If FH had lost to Mountain Ridge, which is statistically equivalent to Keyser's loss to Hampshire, would this be an issue? Also, Brian makes a compelling analogy in using the Ole Miss scenario.

Si ce there is too much favoritism here use an impartial judge. Here are the MP national rankings,

1. Fort Hill (1054)
2. Keyser (2991)
3. Allegany (2998)
4. Moorefield (4044)
5. Northern (5846)
6. Mountain Ridge (6649)
7. Frankfort (9546)
8. Hampshire (9781)

It's not even remotely close. Any other systems out there?

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Bridgeport may have beaten Fort Hill, though I'd wager money on anything less than a 7 point spread. But I guarantee you FH doesn't get beat 38-0.

Keyser is a solid #2. I could even go with shared titled with FH and KHS. But, I think the Hampshire loss is a bigger loss for Keyser than the FH loss to Keyser.

If FH had lost to Mountain Ridge, which is statistically equivalent to Keyser's loss to Hampshire, would this be an issue? Also, Brian makes a compelling analogy in using the Ole Miss scenario.

The flaw in the Brian analogy is that in addition to the head to head outcome, Bama and Ole Miss have opponents in common, that's why Alabama is ranked so much higher than Ole Miss. Alabama beat the two schools that Ole Miss lost to. Also, in the case of Keyser and Fort Hill, Bridgeport is much better than any team FH has played this season, or in about 10 seasons. So strength of schedule would also be a factor.

Fort Hill is clear area champs. I wish more area teams played common schedules so we would have a better argument of this each year.

The WCBC panel has it 1. FH 2. Keyser 3. Alco. It's all a moot point as there is no area poll or champ declared since few teams play each other. Only buffoons like us debating it. FH can only hang their hat on state titles and we know where that currently stands. FH might win 5 or 6 straight.

As for Alabama being voted WAY ahead of Ole Miss, that has absolutely nothing to do with common opponents I can assure everyone. LOL.

Last edited:

Notice that Fairmont is a "quality playoff team", because they beat Keyser, but since Sherando was beaten by Fort Hill they are overrated.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Notice that Fairmont is a "quality playoff team", because they beat Keyser, but since Sherando was beaten by Fort Hill they are overrated.

The more that I think about it, FH doesn't really have a compelling argument, lol - Keyser would be #1 by any logical formula. Keyser won the head-to-head contest (at Greenway, which is very important to remember). The common opponents are about even: FH had close games against Alco - and Keyser beat Alco convincingly; the reverse happened with Northern. But the strength of schedule isn't even close. The edge everyone is giving FH is the state title, which are basically wins over Forestville (that began the season 2-5) and HDG (that won their semi game 3-0). Maryland 1A may be the only division in the country where the further you advance the weaker the competition is, lol

Reactions: cumbfanatic
The more that I think about it, FH doesn't really have a compelling argument, lol - Keyser would be #1 by any logical formula. Keyser won the head-to-head contest (at Greenway, which is very important to remember). The common opponents are about even: FH had close games against Alco - and Keyser beat Alco convincingly; the reverse happened with Northern. But the strength of schedule isn't even close. The edge everyone is giving FH is the state title, which are basically wins over Forestville (that began the season 2-5) and HDG (that won their semi game 3-0). Maryland 1A may be the only division in the country where the further you advance the weaker the competition is, lol

Debating with you is starting to feel like lecturing a five year old on the importance of a 401k.

Fort Hill played the toughest schedule in a 90 mile radius including the Martinsburg area. Have to go into Frederick to find a better schedule. It's good to be the king.

Of course the first 2 rounds of the playoffs were more difficult. That is because everybody knows the 1A West is the best. Yep, Forestville and Havre de Grace are the same teams Alco pounded to get many of their titles. Now that FH pounds them they are all of the sudden weak. LOL.

BRING HOME THE THIRD BOYS!!! Then make it four please.

Last edited:
Fort Hill played the toughest schedule in a 90 mile radius including the Martinsburg area. Have to go into Frederick to find a better schedule. It's good to be the king.

Of course the first 2 rounds of the playoffs were more difficult. That is because everybody knows the 1A West is the best. Yep, Forestville and Havre de Grace are the same teams Alco pounded to get many of their titles. Now that FH pounds them they are all of the sudden weak. LOL.

I have asked those who have criticized the schedule to name a 1A that plays a tougher one and they can't do it.

Well, duh. Clearfield and Sherando both lost 1, yes 1, regular season game to FH so NATURALLY, they were completely overrated, weak, cupcake opponents. I'm sure Boyz has Hancock's regular season schedule rated just a tad higher than FH's.

The area title should be based one area competition, otherwise, Frankfort has a compelling case some years. Plus, WV AA is far more difficult than Maryland 1A. The only hang up I'd say that should be used against Keyser in discussing an area would be the loss to Hampshire, which I think is more than made up for by the fact that Keyser beat Fort Hill at Fort Hill in a classic game and then dominated the same ALCO team that took Fort Hill 4 full quarters to beat twice.

If Keyser isn't area champs, then I no longer understand any need for Keyser to worry about any mythical area title.

Congrats to Fort Hill on the run. 3 in a row is a huge accomplishment. They easily have 4 or possibly 5 in them. That program is a machine right now.

Bridgeport has been for real the past few years but MD 1A is 99% of the time better than WV AA
MD 1A and 2A Teams would beat WV AAA Champs 7 out of 10 years
I went to the Frankfort Bridgeport Final last year and Bridgeport looked good but last year FH would of beat them as well..
Keyser and Frankfort have both went far and they didn't run into great teams. More that Keyser made dumb mistakes or the year Frankfort let a team recover like 4 onside kicks.
Grafton won AA a few years ago and they would never beat FH, Martinsburg dominated WV AAA and even a bad Martinsburg Team this year had a chance to get to the Finals and they would be in a war with FH, not sure who would win but The WV State Champion in AAA would be in a dogfight with the best of Maryland 1A and WV AAA Champ would get crushed by MD 2A,3A,4A and about 10 Private Schools not counted...............

This doesn't make sense. The first two rounds of the playoffs are more difficult than the final two rounds? What alternate universe does this happen except in Maryland 1A? I'm a hater now because I'm calling attention to this? Lol

If you honestly think MD 1A is better than WV AA you're out of your mind. The team Fort Hill is about to destroy this Saturday wouldn't compete with Bridgeport, Bluefield, Tolsia, Fairmont Senior, Keyser, Robert C. Byrd, Mingo Central, or Herbert Hoover. It is honestly cupcakes galore outside of 1A west. The four best 1A teams in MD were the four from the west this year. Good lord, how can that even be an argument?

Cmon boyz. Does this really need explained to you? The best 1A region is the West by far. The way the regional playoffs are set up, yes the first two rounds in the West will therefore be the toughest. That really doesnt make sense to you? Call it the dumbass MPSSAA alternate universe. The 1A is weak this year no doubt. Could have told everyone this last spring. Most figured the playoff winner between FH and Alco was going to win it or at least have to beat Edmondson for the title. I would go so far to say that FH, Alco and Boonsboro are the top 3 teams in 1A.

It's funny watching FH haters scream about 1A being weak now that they own it. But no one said this when Dunbar did the same. The hate runs deep. The 1A is no different now than it has been the last 30 years. Duh.

If you honestly think MD 1A is better than WV AA you're out of your mind. The team Fort Hill is about to destroy this Saturday wouldn't compete with Bridgeport, Bluefield, Tolsia, Fairmont Senior, Keyser, Robert C. Byrd, Mingo Central, or Herbert Hoover. It is honestly cupcakes galore outside of 1A west. The four best 1A teams in MD were the four from the west this year. Good lord, how can that even be an argument?

Jumping to personal conclusions? OK I'll go one step further. FH would beat every single one of those WV teams if they played this Saturday except for Bridgeport, which would be one helluva game to see.

You are like everyone else. The 1A wasn't weak until FH took over. Do you think Alco beating Beall, Brunswick and Snow Hill to win their last title in 2005 was tough? The road Frankfort took to get to the state title last year was hideous. Stop trying to measure small ball with bigger classes.

Last edited:
I never said it has always been weak. I'm saying this year, for whatever reason, MD 1A is incredibly weak outside of a handful of 1A West teams. Fort Hill would absolutely beat most of those teams, but Bridgeport is at least 2 to 3 touchdowns better than Big Red this year. Bridgeport vs. Fort Hill is a game I'd pay to see. Two programs that absolutely do not think anyone can beat them going at it. Would be something to behold. The sad thing is that a score comparison of their one lone common opponent doesn't show anything, as Keyser beat Fort Hill but played their two best players down and got throttled by Bridgeport. So I honestly don't know what the game would be like exactly. But given what Bridgeport was able to do to most every team and the fact that most accounts had them outplaying a team that is now about to play for the AAA title in WV when their game was called because of weather, I really do think Bridgeport is easily head and shoulders above Fort Hill this year.

Most years, I think it would be a nasty game between the two. Wish the two schools would schedule it. For the record, Fort Hill would have trouble with Fairmont Senior as well, but the way your boys are playing, I personally think Fort Hill would pull out the win.

But back to the original discussion, I just don't see how you could ever make the case that 2015 1A in MD is better than 2015 AA in WV. Yes, Frankfort had a cupcake walk to the finals last year, but look what Bridgeport had to face this year. I'd say that the teams I listed would beat every 1A team in MD besides Fort Hill and possibly Allegany, It's not just about Fort Hill being so tough. That's why I am pleased that no one is seriously trying to rank these Fort Hill teams above the two state title teams that they had before dropping to 1A. Those teams had much tougher competition I think.

Just my opinion. Hope you boys in Cumberland enjoy the next state title win on Saturday. I'm sure it will be a sea of red down in Baltimore. Any offers for the Brown kid yet?

We can speculate all we want about Bridgeport. I'm sure they'd give red a run for their money. Who knows. One thing I do know is FH has been the most dangerous when behind. They showed what they are capable of when their backs are against the wall. When that happen the play book seems to get quite a bit larger and aggressive. That makes for a very dangerous red offense.

Pigskin45 you seem to forget that FH was down a couple players against Keyser. But that excuse only seems to work when Keyser was down couple players to Bridgeport..
Also the starting quarterback position which is the most important position on the field hadn't quite been worked out... This is by no means taking away from the Keyser win. Just thought I would point it out since you made the excuse that Keyser was down a couple players to Bridgeport..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT