ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill football schedule TOP rated

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Here they are, the 2017 preseason strength of schedule (SOS) rankings according to MaxPreps point totals for this area that will include Garrett, Allegany and Washington Counties, all of MPSSAA Class 1A West, some 1A and 2A powers in Frederick County in addition to the EPAC in West Virginia among other comparisons.

Oddly enough, all three Allegany County 1A schools had a tougher schedule ranking than Martinsburg. I have not looked at all the numbers, but there is a good chance FH has a tougher schedule than any other team in the entire state of WV. If not the best at least near the very top. FH also ranked higher than any other PG County 1A/2A school.

Even if these numbers are skewed, and they surely are as nothing of this nature can be fool proof, it doesn't detract from the fact that both FH and Alco are playing really tough schedules this year regardless of classification. Tougher than most 3A and 4A schools.

So for all those years of schedule bashing...learn it, live it, love it. Here is a tissue for all the tears.

Fort Hill - 4.63
Middletown - 4.86
Morgantown - 4.87
Allegany - 4.89
Walkersville - 4.90
Jefferson - 5.01
South Hagerstown - 5.51
Dunbar (Balt.) - 5.58
Mountain Ridge - 5.93
Washington - 6.22
Martinsburg - 6.22
Spring Mills - 6.41
Musselman - 6.77
North Hagerstown - 6.80
Williamsport - 6.88
Keyser - 7.28
Hampshire - 7.55
Hedgesville - 7.59
Boonsboro - 7.85
Frankfort - 8.21
Moorefield - 8.32
Southern Garrett - 8.65
East Hardy - 8.70
Francis Scott Key - 8.91
Northern Garrett - 9.59
Clear Spring - 9.74
Petersburg - 9.78
Catoctin - 9.87
Smithsburg - 9.89
Berkeley Springs - 10.65
Brunswick - 11.08
Hancock - 12.93

I know a fella that pointed this out a month or two ago, well, especially the Fort Hill has a tougher schedule than Martinsburg part, lol :) That being said Todd, you are correct, all the haters when it comes to Fort Hill's schedule can choke on this, the proof is in the pudding. What more could anyone ask of a small 1A Western Maryland school? A sincere thanks to you for all you do.

I'll add one more thing, in addition to toughness on paper, I have said the last 4 years that Fort Hill's schedule has proven to be a points producing masterpiece, I mean as jam packed full of playoff points as you can be within reason. A schedule masterfully crafted, once again, the proof has been in the playoff points pudding and in all those Home Playoff games at Greenway. As you have pointed out, everybody essentially schedules for the playoffs, while at the same time ensuring they prepare their teams appropriately for the competition they will face to win a championship. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, has done this as brilliantly as Fort Hill over the last several years.

In reality, the true difficulty of a schedule is the level of competition against your ability. As a consecutive state champ, FH only scheduled two teams ranked nationally higher they are.... other than that , they have Alco and Keyser to give them - by the numbers - any additional competitive threat.

MORE INTERESTING COMPARISONS

2017 Strength of Schedule for all of last year's State Champions

1. Fort Hill - 4.63 (Class 1A)
2. Wise - 4.86 (Class 4A)
3. Walkersville - 4.90 (Class 2A)
4. Damascus - 7.18 (Class 3A)

So just to clarify - in Maryland the smallest school has the toughest schedule of all the Maryland state champions.

Reactions: fooseballfamily
Please. You are contorting yourself into a pretzel because FH scheduled a couple of snot-knockers toward the end of the season. Basis Alco's national ranking, it has a tougher schedule. You are working this issue like an election poll.

I think everyone really gets the point. Personally, I hope FH does get another championship. But reality shows a walkover sans 4 games - that is if Keyser has anything to show this year.

The question might be what will FH do after two games suffering a running clock. Allegany has learned to rebound. The Keyser loss the other year was not a running clock.

Please. You are contorting yourself into a pretzel because FH scheduled a couple of snot-knockers toward the end of the season. Basis Alco's national ranking, it has a tougher schedule. You are working this issue like an election poll.

I think everyone really gets the point. Personally, I hope FH does get another championship. But reality shows a walkover sans 4 games - that is if Keyser has anything to show this year.

The question might be what will FH do after two games suffering a running clock. Allegany has learned to rebound. The Keyser loss the other year was not a running clock.

By your SOS theory - the number 1 ranked team in any sport has the worst schedule as no one is ranked higher than them. OK.

So just to clarify - in Maryland the smallest school has the toughest schedule of all the Maryland state champions.
Todd you should know numbers and facts mean nothing to somebody who can't see the forest for the trees. Most of us do get it though, so keep them coming!

By your SOS theory - the number 1 ranked team in any sport has the worst schedule as no one is ranked higher than them. OK.

This isn't tennis where they actually have to play the best to get to the top. Big Red plays two highly competitive games plus Alco and maybe Keyer in the regular season. Allegany plays more teams closer to its national ranking than Fort Hill. You can play all the numbers you want.

Lags has slipped into contrarion mode. History shows he wil back off some of this talk and later somewhat apologize. He enjoys the art of the argument too much to let opinions of grandeur go unchallenged, even when those opinions are derived from "data."

Everyone has an opinion. I didn't invent the rankings formula. Numbers tend to be less subjective however and tend to be more true with zero blinders on. Read into them however you wish. The numbers are the numbers - no opinions required.

I will say however in my 15 years of running SOS college football formulas, that I have never seen a system rank schedules based on where you are ranked. Once again, that would have Alabama playing the worst schedule and Florida International playing the best. My preseason SOS was utilized by ESPN in 2003 to determine their own BCS schedule standings. LINK: http://www.nationalchamps.net/2003/articles/on_espn.htm
My formula was created with the help of Bill Billingsley - who ran one of the BCS official computer polls during the BCS era. It was quite a learning experience.

Lags has slipped into contrarion mode. History shows he wil back off some of this talk and later somewhat apologize. He enjoys the art of the argument too much to let opinions of grandeur go unchallenged, even when those opinions are derived from "data."

Good Lord! Without me this would be what we used to call a happy fizzie party. The red-jacket crowd can rip their clothes and put on sackcloth and ashes - changes nothing.

I said I would apologize about the 10th game. So, I did. Matters not that FH did find a 'little sisters of the poor' to play.

As far as the season goes, FH looks to be the lumbering giant - could beat Alco and could go for another championship. But if Allegany - or anyone else - can pass block and hit a receiver, then all bets are off.

These are mild comments.

Everyone has an opinion. I didn't invent the rankings formula. Numbers tend to be less subjective however and tend to be more true with zero blinders on. Read into them however you wish. The numbers are the numbers - no opinions required.

I will say however in my 15 years of running SOS college football formulas, that I have never seen a system rank schedules based on where you are ranked. Once again, that would have Alabama playing the worst schedule and Florida International playing the best. My preseason SOS was utilized by ESPN in 2003 to determine their own BCS schedule standings. LINK: http://www.nationalchamps.net/2003/articles/on_espn.htm
My formula was created with the help of Bill Billingsley - who ran one of the BCS official computer polls during the BCS era. It was quite a learning experience.

As Woody Allen said, "Even objectivity is subjective." If we believed all the numbers, Hillary is President. Well, maybe she is President of California and New York.

Keep in mind too, it is Fort Hill's success and high National Ranking that helps to make Allegany's schedule so tough. It's a fine schedule, a good one indeed, but in as much as Fort Hill is Allegany's default 10th game annually, it's to Fort Hill's credit as much as it would be Allegany's scheduling philosophy that Big Blue's numbers are as solid as they are.

Reactions: Lagmeister
Or you can ignore numbers and data. 911 happens, global warming won't affect our kids future, Hitler is working on an A-bomb...and we would be on here arguing in German. LOL.

Keep in mind too, it is Fort Hill's success and high National Ranking that helps to make Allegany's schedule so tough. It's a fine schedule, a good one indeed, but in as much as Fort Hill is Allegany's default 10th game annually, it's to Fort Hill's credit as much as it would be Allegany's scheduling philosophy that Big Blue's numbers are as solid as they are.

Your comments ring true as the finest crystal. The Allegany and Fort Hill mystique form the aura of Cumberland. We all should attend as many Alco/Fh games as we can and cheer for their success.

Or you can ignore numbers and data. 911 happens, global warming won't affect our kids future, Hitler is working on an A-bomb...and we would be on here arguing in German. LOL.

Your comments are like a worst case example of a mixed metaphor.

Melbourne Central Catholic beat Cardinal Gibbons 35-33 in their kickoff classic last week. MaxPreps had Gibbons ranked #13 in FL and #112 nationally.

MCC officially opens their season on the road against Buford (GA) this week.

Wow, you all are in 1A West Championship Game form, and the season hasn't even started yet. Love it.

Don't it feel good to have some Alco faithful to counter our Big Red banter!

BigAlco come back!

Reactions: towpath94
In reality, the true difficulty of a schedule is the level of competition against your ability. As a consecutive state champ, FH only scheduled two teams ranked nationally higher they are.... other than that , they have Alco and Keyser to give them - by the numbers - any additional competitive threat.
so Southern has the toughest schedule? Southern's schedule shows the true difficulty of the level of their competition against their ability....

Lags - are you saying that if FH and Alco play the exact same schedule, Alco's is tougher because FH won last year??

This kind of stuff is why FH fans are so confused, lol. The people actually leading the program keep throwing out misleading information. Todd why do you keep comparing FH to Martinsburg and Wise? You have said yourself "IT'S STUPID" to compare 1A and 4A schools. Instead of comparing just strap up and play Martinsburg next season, you can call their coach and make that game in five minutes. You had chances to play Wise in the past and turned the game down, you could have played Calvert Hall (or another serious Baltimore school) in the past and turned the game down, you could have played Middletown this season and clearly weren't interested. Wise plays Calvert Hall and Eleanor Roosevelt this season, FH has not played a school on that level in over 10 years or longer. DMass plays Sherwood and Seneca Valley this season, FH has not played a team on that level in over 10 years or longer. FH followers love these fake polls and mysterious stats, just strap up and play some good teams, lol. Get your players some college scholarships.

Reactions: camper21502
Here they are, the 2017 preseason strength of schedule (SOS) rankings according to MaxPreps point totals for this area that will include Garrett, Allegany and Washington Counties, all of MPSSAA Class 1A West, some 1A and 2A powers in Frederick County in addition to the EPAC in West Virginia among other comparisons.

Oddly enough, all three Allegany County 1A schools had a tougher schedule ranking than Martinsburg. I have not looked at all the numbers, but there is a good chance FH has a tougher schedule than any other team in the entire state of WV. If not the best at least near the very top. FH also ranked higher than any other PG County 1A/2A school.

Even if these numbers are skewed, and they surely are as nothing of this nature can be fool proof, it doesn't detract from the fact that both FH and Alco are playing really tough schedules this year regardless of classification. Tougher than most 3A and 4A schools.

So for all those years of schedule bashing...learn it, live it, love it. Here is a tissue for all the tears.

Fort Hill - 4.63
Middletown - 4.86
Morgantown - 4.87
Allegany - 4.89
Walkersville - 4.90
Jefferson - 5.01
South Hagerstown - 5.51
Dunbar (Balt.) - 5.58
Mountain Ridge - 5.93
Washington - 6.22
Martinsburg - 6.22
Spring Mills - 6.41
Musselman - 6.77
North Hagerstown - 6.80
Williamsport - 6.88
Keyser - 7.28
Hampshire - 7.55
Hedgesville - 7.59
Boonsboro - 7.85
Frankfort - 8.21
Moorefield - 8.32
Southern Garrett - 8.65
East Hardy - 8.70
Francis Scott Key - 8.91
Northern Garrett - 9.59
Clear Spring - 9.74
Petersburg - 9.78
Catoctin - 9.87
Smithsburg - 9.89
Berkeley Springs - 10.65
Brunswick - 11.08
Hancock - 12.93

OH BAM! That was the sound of BoyznBlue's football intelligence hitting the floor. Hahahahahahahaha

This stuff isn't opinions, it's numbers. You dont have to like or agree with maxpreps but neither FH nor TDHELMICK have anything to do with rankings in this list. Nor do they have anything to do with the state media poll. The repeated anti-FH opinions do not supercede the data of multiple reputable sources.

Dah. Silly rabbit.

Now if you want to show me where TD changed a 7 to a 3 or a 9 to a one in this list then you have merit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I don't comment on anything Brian says because he just regurgitates the same nonsense that Todd H puts on here, lol. But instead of posting fake stats why you guys don't you post important information like how many college scholarships each local school is getting for their kids. With the local economy most of the players can use some help paying for their education.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
More fake stats:
UConn and Maryland play games next week. Tune in for more FH football kids on tv at the next level.

Now that the maxpreps fake stats made you look foolish with the schedule issue are there any more fake opinions from a guy who never even played high school football?

Compared to my actual 'spread' analysis, your comment is somewhat silly. It's the 'spread' get it. It is not that any or all teams are ranked lower, rather, how low will you go in scheduling basis your national rank. I average the 'spread' between the competition. Good grief.

Allegany does play an average of nationally ranked teams closer to its 'ranked' competitive number- hypothetically, making their schedule tougher than FH's. Why is this so friggn' difficult to understand? And, after the teams play a few games, this will all get moved around anyhow.... except for FH, who will only have its saw hit a proverbial knot toward the end of the season... if at all.

Lags - are you saying that if FH and Alco play the exact same schedule, Alco's is tougher because FH won last year??

My numbers are over a week old on the spreadsheet, but the average ranking of FH's competition is 4629 and the average of Alco's is 4927. Considering that these are national numbers, they really aren't that far apart in overall competition - again, if you take an average. With Alco ranked 2128 and FH ranked 1529, then either schedule is tougher competition for Allegany than FH.

Compared to my actual 'spread' analysis, your comment is somewhat silly. It's the 'spread' get it. It is not that any or all teams are ranked lower, rather, how low will you go in scheduling basis your national rank. I average the 'spread' between the competition. Good grief.

Allegany does play an average of nationally ranked teams closer to its 'ranked' competitive number- hypothetically, making their schedule tougher than FH's. Why is this so friggn' difficult to understand? And, after the teams play a few games, this will all get moved around anyhow.... except for FH, who will only have its saw hit a proverbial knot toward the end of the season... if at all.

SOS is actually a very measurable statistic. However, in studying and putting together a college football SOS for over a decade, I have yet to see one from anybody that uses where a team is ranked to determine the toughness of their opponents.

Even if the Max Preps SOS has a margin of error of a whopping 50%, ignoring that the Alco or FH football schedules are difficult sounds extremely foolish. And it should be noted that Max Preps does not take size of school into account.

This was not meant to show FH had a tougher schedule than Alco. The difference between the two is slim to none. It shows both are playing brutal schedules especially by Maryland 1A standards. It takes some guts to do this given the playoff formats used here. While I agree FH closes with a flurry of tough opponents that could prove fatal, Alco could also be looking at an 0-2 start if they are not careful. They also could be 2-0.

I didn't put together the Max Preps ratings. Max Preps has no bias. So if you disagree with these results you are disagreeing with Max Preps, not me. Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
SOS is actually a very measurable statistic. However, in studying and putting together a college football SOS for over a decade, I have yet to see one from anybody that uses where a team is ranked to determine the toughness of their opponents.

Even if the Max Preps SOS has a margin of error of a whopping 50%, ignoring that the Alco or FH football schedules are difficult sounds extremely foolish. And it should be noted that Max Preps does not take size of school into account.

This was not meant to show FH had a tougher schedule than Alco. The difference between the two is slim to none. It shows both are playing brutal schedules especially by Maryland 1A standards. It takes some guts to do this given the playoff formats used here. While I agree FH closes with a flurry of tough opponents that could prove fatal, Alco could also be looking at an 0-2 start if they are not careful. They also could be 2-0.

I didn't put together the Max Preps ratings. Max Preps has no bias. So if you disagree with these results you are disagreeing with Max Preps, not me. Don't shoot the messenger.

"I have yet to see one from anybody that uses where a team is ranked to determine the toughness of their opponents" - Quite frankly, that is why I did it and I see it equally as valid as the playoff point system - well, maybe more so.

I just finished watching some sports 'talking heads' on ESPN prattle on about the early impact of college games and their potential impact on the playoffs. Hey! Gimme a dartboard and just make sure it has plenty of SEC on it.

Maxpreps rankings have always been a joke... I have seen people on here talking about how bad they are including myself.. Where are those ppl at now? LOL now Maxpreps is legit and very accurate..

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Well as you can tell from my Seminole icon...FSU opens with Alabama next Saturday. No. 1 vs. No. 3 in the country. The loser may be out of the playoff picture in the opening week - THE OPENING WEEK!

When I played at FSU we squared off with Miami in the opener of the 1988 season. FSU was the preseason #1 team by every poll. We lost that game in Coral Gables then went on to win 11 straight including the likes of wins over Clemson, Michigan State, Florida and Auburn. Yet we could not play for the National Championship. That was the year WVU played Notre Dame for the title with Major Harris a Mountaineer. The highest ranked team WVU played that year was Syracuse who was ranked #18.

The moral of this story...you can rag on a team who chooses to play a weaker schedule and challenge their manhood. But you cannot challenge their intelligence if that is the formula for winning titles. The blame falls solely on the administrators at the top for providing such a formula. The MPSSAA is exactly the same. I've been there, done that on many levels now I guess. I would rather see Alco and FH play teams they beat by 50 points and play for the title than the opposite. Because that is the formula that has been handed down. And FH has lived it pretty well as of recent.

Well as you can tell from my Seminole icon...FSU opens with Alabama next Saturday. No. 1 vs. No. 3 in the country. The loser may be out of the playoff picture in the opening week - THE OPENING WEEK!

When I played at FSU we squared off with Miami in the opener of the 1988 season. FSU was the preseason #1 team by every poll. We lost that game in Coral Gables then went on to win 11 straight including the likes of wins over Clemson, Michigan State, Florida and Auburn. Yet we could not play for the National Championship. That was the year WVU played Notre Dame for the title with Major Harris a Mountaineer. The highest ranked team WVU played that year was Syracuse who was ranked #18.

The moral of this story...you can rag on a team who chooses to play a weaker schedule and challenge their manhood. But you cannot challenge their intelligence if that is the formula for winning titles. The blame falls solely on the administrators at the top for providing such a formula. The MPSSAA is exactly the same. I've been there, done that on many levels now I guess. I would rather see Alco and FH play teams they beat by 50 points and play for the title than the opposite. Because that is the formula that has been handed down. And FH has lived it pretty well as of recent.

BRILLIANT

As a moral judgment for high school football I profoundly disagree. For big time college football and all its money, I agree completely.

I have been trying to figure out Hansel's decision regarding Dunbar and then Chestnut Ridge, all upfront. Maybe he is making an actual moral decision of what is the right thing to give his players: they want the challenge - an all or nothing year of competition. Maybe his players want it, not the coaches or the school.

In unimpressive opponent news, Silver Oak is already 0-2 with losses by a combined 106-0 before any MPSSAA school has played a game.

They host Hollidaysburg this Saturday in what I hope will be a more competitive contest.

In unimpressive opponent news, Silver Oak is already 0-2 with losses by a combined 106-0 before any MPSSAA school has played a game.

They host Hollidaysburg this Saturday in what I hope will be a more competitive contest.

Silver Oak's game vs. St. Joseph's of Canada, which they lost, was an exhibition game per Coach Mcleod. They are 0-1 by MPSSAA point totals.

Ironically, St. Joseph's was the team Fort Hill had a contract with for Week 6 until the MPSSAA denied them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT