ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill/Allegany and 1A West Playoff Projections

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
I have ran all the numbers and made these projections based off CalPreps' Project a Matchup Program. CalPreps is incredibly accurate, but of course, there are no gaurantees. Here are the projections and some analysis.

Of the 9 1A West Region Teams, there are 5 that are essentially in the hunt for the 4 playoff spots, they are Boosnboro, Fort Hill, Allegany, Smithsburg and Northern. While Clear Spring and Hancock are projected to finish at or above .500, the quality of their wins are so poor that they remain a non-factor.Neither team should finish above the 50 point/5.0 average threshold. Boonsboro, Fort Hill, Allegany, Smithsburg and Northern all do.

So, in the hunt are BOONSBORO, FORT HILL, ALLEGANY, SMITHSBURG, and NORTHERN. If CalPreps' projections for all remaining games holds true, the resulting playoff points will be as follows:

1) Boonsboro 9.33 (Undefeated, finishes 10-0)
2) Fort Hill 7.98 (Losses to Keyser and Sherando, finishes 7-2)
3) Allegany 7.16 (Losses to Keyser and Fort Hill, finishes 8-2)
4) Smithsburg 5.82 (Losses to Manchester Valley, Catoctin and Boonsboro, finishes 7-3)

5) Northern 5.26 (Out) (Losses to Smithsburg, Keyser, Allegany and Boonsboro, finishes 6-4)

One thing I'll mention, if the above projections hold true, it is interesting that the team left out (Northern), ironically had the chance to make the playoffs by playing Regional competition. So in many ways it can't be said they didn't have control over their own destiny. 3 of their 4 losses would have been to Regional competition. Of course, Northern still holds control over things, all it will take is a win over Allegany or Boonsboro, or a MAJOR slip up from the other teams.

As you are aware, there are several different scenarios, and while we can't predict all of them, at a later point, perhaps later tonight, I will at least provide you with points and averages for the above 5 teams in the hunt assuming certain scenarios. You can redo the projected standings based on different scenarios if you like.

Reactions: everyones-an-expert
There was a guy on the other Maryland site that had a spreadsheet that he made up his self for each region in each class. All you would have to do was just plug in certain outcomes and it would tell you what it would mean for any region. Since both sites have lost their luster he doesn't really post on here anymore. He does however post on the Baltimore Sun's board each week and still does his spreadsheet. I used to get him to send me the spreadsheet at the start of each season but haven't for the last couple years. I am sure if you contact him on there he would be willing to email it to you if you are interested. He has always been very nice about it. His screen name on Sun site is JustMyThought.

FH needs 6 wins to get into the playoffs by my calculations. They will have to win 3 of their next 5 games. One of those wins will have to be against South Hagerstown, Sherando or Alco.

Wow kind of A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Fort Hill or Alco either one makes playoffs since both got beat by a poor Keyser team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT