ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill adds 3 TIME PA state champions Cathedral Prep to schedule

Oh ok. So he has also had these players that are coming up now with him for a couple of years. That makes for better cohesiveness then. Still no John Mckenny...hopefully one of these guys can carry on the tradition of having a incredible D line! Only time will tell.

This team coming with the heat... focus on games before this contest... hope to see another classic tho

Actually, I find the tenor of this thread so much better than the woke-scoldery found almost everywhere else.

Lag,
I admit I am being a bit harsh here and wish my wording tone would have been more polite upon review. I typically ignore negative commentary by this particular poster by skimming over it. Sometimes this particular poster offers some good information. I actually agreed with his viewpoint on the FCA pullout comments and being too picky with a possible matchups and losing opportunities at decent series, but darn, how the heck can one try to minimize this matchup by highlighting certain adversities facing one team while ignoring the same adversities or more facing the other team without it being seen as pure hater-ade. For goodness sakes, I don’t care if FH was backed into a corner here and signed this deal out of desperation for a 9th game, it is with the the 2018 MaxPreps 86th ranked team. It just shows true colors to try and minimize this game or this schedule in any way.

Lag,
I admit I am being a bit harsh here and wish my wording tone would have been more polite upon review. I typically ignore negative commentary by this particular poster by skimming over it. Sometimes this particular poster offers some good information. I actually agreed with his viewpoint on the FCA pullout comments and being too picky with a possible matchups and losing opportunities at decent series, but darn, how the heck can one try to minimize this matchup by highlighting certain adversities facing one team while ignoring the same adversities or more facing the other team without it being seen as pure hater-ade. For goodness sakes, I don’t care if FH was backed into a corner here and signed this deal out of desperation for a 9th game, it is with the the 2018 MaxPreps 86th ranked team. It just shows true colors to try and minimize this game or this schedule in any way.

I didn't think you were harsh. My comment was directed to the basic civility of the overall discussion. Post on.

Boyz has to throw in the refs. Go back and watch the MCC game, all but maybe two of the penalties were legit, a third was a judgement call on a spearing that could have not been called on a slowed replay review, not calls were accepted and there were probably a half-dozen holding calls not called on MCC. Don’t ignore that FH had about 11 penalties.

Cathedral is not an NFL team so they are apparently not a good pick up for a hater.

Also, Boyz, by delegitimizing the loss of defensive and offensive coordinators calls into question your football experience. Yes, at FH and most every football team at any level the HC is king but the coordinators are vital at all levels. They know the schemes and adjustments to make as good or even better than the HC’s.

I spoke with a couple of the MCC coaches after the game. Very complimentary of FH and never once mentioned anything about the officiating. They actually apologized for the actions of their head coach and if you were there you know why they did. They said the clearly weren't ready for the type of atmosphere the game was played in and it showed. I think the head coach was replaced this past off season.

This team coming with the heat... focus on games before this contest... hope to see another classic tho

From what I saw on You Tube it looks like they run out of the pistol. Ran more than they threw. The defense was three down linemen bringing a linebacker up for a four man front. Probably due to the teams they played running out of a pistol/spread formation than it being their actual base defense.

I am certainly not doubting this young man is a very good athlete, but I can’t find any 100 or 200 times for him that come close to equating to a 4.2 - forty yard dash time. The info I did find had him at about 23.35 in the 200. That is an average good 200 time for a high schooler, but certainly not world class as his 4.2 would indicate. Also, most 1A state qualifying times in MD are faster, and 4A qualifying times are much faster. His long jump was 22’.1” which is a very respectable jump for a high athlete. That tells me he is a very good athlete with better than average speed and leaping ability.

One would think an athlete with such speed would show up in the results of a PA state meet. I can’t find his name in such results.

Again, I could be completely mistaken, but I can post on Twitter that I ran a hand timed 4.9 as an ol’ guy, but that would not make it true.

If I am wrong about the potential of this young man running a 4.2 forty, and others can provide definitive evidence of such, my apology.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagmeister
inCqU1C.jpg

Toughest two game stretch in football history. And on back-to-back days no less.
Which one of yall ding dongs did the paw paw game at the park by the old tank...lmaooooo...gd 1

Losing McKenney will suck. But if you think Appel didn't have anything to do with calling the defense then you don't know Appel too well.

I dont think that, which is why I never said that - dont get your panties in a bunch. I put the emphasis on McKenney because that was the discussion at hand. McKenney was not only instrumental in preparing and calling the defense, but the kids played just as hard for him as they did any other coach. McKenney was the yin to Appels yang. And he could rally the troops as good as anyone else.

From what I saw on You Tube it looks like they run out of the pistol. Ran more than they threw. The defense was three down linemen bringing a linebacker up for a four man front. Probably due to the teams they played running out of a pistol/spread formation than it being their actual base defense.

Well, they better bring their sharp passing game 'cause they will not stop FH's run.

I am certainly not doubting this young man is a very good athlete, but I can’t find any 100 or 200 times for him that come close to equating to a 4.2 - forty yard dash time. The info I did find had him at about 23.35 in the 200. That is an average good 200 time for a high schooler, but certainly not world class as his 4.2 would indicate. Also, most 1A state qualifying times in MD are faster, and 4A qualifying times are much faster. His long jump was 22’.1” which is a very respectable jump for a high athlete. That tells me he is a very good athlete with better than average speed and leaping ability.

One would think an athlete with such speed would show up in the results of a PA state meet. I can’t find his name in such results.

Again, I could be completely mistaken, but I can post on Twitter that I ran a hand timed 4.9 as an ol’ guy, but that would not make it true.

If I am wrong about the potential of this young man running a 4.2 forty, and others can provide definitive evidence of such, my apology.

Nice find.

Here's an excerpt from a 2018 Cathedral Prep preview:

https://westernpafootball.net/news/cathedral-prep-2/

Despite needing to totally rebuild the defense and fill the shoes of players that were nearly impossible to fill, they cruised to another state championship. I suspect they'll reload just fine.

Last season they lost seven D1 players from 2017 and ended up outscoring their four playoff opponents 183-45. Yeah, you could say they reloaded.:D

You do realize that McKenney actually opened up the FH defense playbook and in fact, installed new looks that past defensive guys never quite accomplished, right? He was not only given a HUGE amount of autonomy on calling the defense from the sideline, he was the on-field coach/leader as Appel was up top. I'm obviously not downplaying Appel's leadership and success, but if you "dont give [Coach McKenney] a lot of importance" in the defensive success FH has had over the past 11 years, then I'm not sure you are fully aware of how much influence he has had over the defensive cohesion on these teams. As someone else pointed out, the defensive players played as hard for John as they did for Todd. He had a great deal of ability over rallying the troops and squeezing more than 100% out of those kids when they needed it. The FH offense has thrown a couple wrinkles in here and there, but for the most part the offense hasn't changed much from year to year - but if you dont see the way McKenney revamped the defense, I'm not sure you watched the games with your eyes open. I think the last 5 titles FH has won, were made possible by a stifling defense that adapted better than many we've seen over the last 25 or more years.

I'm sure FH will stick with a lot of the schemes and plays McKenney put in place, but his presence (or lack thereof) will be hard to replace quickly. I'm sure the next coach will be more than capable, but they very well know they're stepping into some big shoes.
Does anybody really believe fh needs a quarterback coach or an offensive coordinator..it's run right, run left, trap...c'mon - the players can do that without any help.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Just got the contract back today for Cathedral Prep signed by both parties. It's a done deal.
2019 - September 26 (Thursday) - Cathedral Prep at Fort Hill - 6:00 pm
2020 - October 2 (Friday) - Fort Hill at Cathedral Prep - 7:00 pm

A great pick-up for FH and it should be a fun night at the stadium.

If This team is rebuilding in 2019 then FH is royally screwed when it goes to Erie next season. That took some serious balls wouldn't you say so Boyz? Few teams in the MD public school system would make a deal like this, especially a 1A school.

If This team is rebuilding in 2019 then FH is royally screwed when it goes to Erie next season. That took some serious balls wouldn't you say so Boyz? Few teams in the MD public school system would make a deal like this, especially a 1A school.

It took FH to make a deal like this. This deal was for all of Cumberland. Suddenly, it's ice cream at the Queen City Dairy again. It is the 'Queen City' again.

Does anybody really believe fh needs a quarterback coach or an offensive coordinator..it's run right, run left, trap...c'mon - the players can do that without any help.

FH is gonna need some passing to beat Cathedral. Cathedral will surely bring everybody up, like Dunbar did Alco, until FH burns 'em with a pass, like Alco did Dunbar.

I agree FH will have to throw not because Cathedral will bring everyone up, because their linebackers will be so fast like Friendship.

FH is gonna need some passing to beat Cathedral. Cathedral will surely bring everybody up, like Dunbar did Alco, until FH burns 'em with a pass, like Alco did Dunbar.
Lag you know fh aint gonna burn nobody with the pass, but you did make me laugh.

Lag you know fh aint gonna burn nobody with the pass, but you did make me laugh.

Perhaps that is to be young King's role this year. Against Dunbar, Bratton passed for around 100 yards and one touchdown. (As a prior note: Dunbar always has quick linebackers.)

correct. But you responded to my message about Coach McKenney. He coached defense. Which is what we're talking about.

correct. But you responded to my message about Coach McKenney. He coached defense. Which is what we're talking about.
There were a lot of things discussed in the thread including D1 prospects, Alleganys qb, how cathedral lb's will attack the fh offense, rebuilding...etc. I'll make sure next time I go back to the top of the thread where a particular detail was mentioned that I commented on and only reply to that particular one. Thanks for helping me out to understand the rules.

There were a lot of things discussed in the thread including D1 prospects, Alleganys qb, how cathedral lb's will attack the fh offense, rebuilding...etc. I'll make sure next time I go back to the top of the thread where a particular detail was mentioned that I commented on and only reply to that particular one. Thanks for helping me out to understand the rules.

No need to scroll back to anywhere....You literally quoted my post about the importance of the changes McKenney made to the defense, and then talked about the offense. I had already basically agreed with you, in that very post that you quoted, that the offense wasn't the issue. Just sayin'

When does FH ever get to have "rebuild" years? Or is it just FH opponents that are always rebuilding? FH is a 1a public school. I take it CP has the ability to recruit. Which is a huge advantage and aids in rebuilding. They're 3x defending 4a pa champs. To cut it any other way than to say this is a huge pick up is just being petty, trivial and throwing shade in my book.

This season when FH plays another Maryland 1A school look across the field and tell me who has more players. Yes, CP has ability to recruit but so does Capitol Christian so does Serra Catholic, etc.

Boyz has to throw in the refs. Go back and watch the MCC game, all but maybe two of the penalties were legit, a third was a judgement call on a spearing that could have not been called on a slowed replay review, not calls were accepted and there were probably a half-dozen holding calls not called on MCC. Don’t ignore that FH had about 11 penalties.

Cathedral is not an NFL team so they are apparently not a good pick up for a hater.

Also, Boyz, by delegitimizing the loss of defensive and offensive coordinators calls into question your football experience. Yes, at FH and most every football team at any level the HC is king but the coordinators are vital at all levels. They know the schemes and adjustments to make as good or even better than the HC’s.

Do you want to place a bet that more penalties will be called on CP than FH? I'll cover whatever monetary amount you would like to wager, lol

I agree. If you read my original post the first thing I said was the Erie game was an excellent pick-up. The away game next year is going to be extremely tough. But the game this season is winnable for FH. I said CP will be favored.

Your myth about officials was dismissed years ago, Boyz.

End...of...story.

I didn't single FH out, I said every team gets calls at home, and it was just 2 years ago when there were 21 penalties called against that Florida team in a very close contest.

But there's no need to have the same discussion. Do you want to place a wager or not, lol?

This season when FH plays another Maryland 1A school look across the field and tell me who has more players. Yes, CP has ability to recruit but so does Capitol Christian so does Serra Catholic, etc.

So does Dematha. So does Good Counsel. I think the issue is not just that they can recruit, but they do it well. If you're lumping Capitol Christian's recruiting abilities in the same list as a nationally ranked, very successful private like CP, I feel you're intentionally being disingenuous.

And to clarify, I don't think anyone ever feels FH plays in an unwinnable game. They are a good program. They can play a perfect game and catch ANY team playing less than what their "on paper" abilities might be. Any solid high school team should feel any game they go into would be winnable.

So while I know you get fixated on the whole "FH hasn't played a top 10 or 15 or 25 MD school" thing, would you feel that FH playing against Wise is any more or less winnable than playing against CP? They are both proven, successful bigger schools. I think we might all agree that Wise or CP would be favored, maybe even heavily, but is one less winnable than the other?

I didn't single FH out, I said every team gets calls at home, and it was just 2 years ago when there were 21 penalties called against that Florida team in a very close contest.

But there's no need to have the same discussion. Do you want to place a wager or not, lol?

I think you literally did say "FH"...

Do you want to place a bet that more penalties will be called on CP than FH? I'll cover whatever monetary amount you would like to wager, lol

I think you literally did say "FH"...

I think he was talking about something said like 4 years ago. Yes, I am referring to FH in this situation. I think everyone knows the calls will go in their favor in this game. I'm taking all bets

So does Dematha. So does Good Counsel. I think the issue is not just that they can recruit, but they do it well. If you're lumping Capitol Christian's recruiting abilities in the same list as a nationally ranked, very successful private like CP, I feel you're intentionally being disingenuous.

And to clarify, I don't think anyone ever feels FH plays in an unwinnable game. They are a good program. They can play a perfect game and catch ANY team playing less than what their "on paper" abilities might be. Any solid high school team should feel any game they go into would be winnable.

So while I know you get fixated on the whole "FH hasn't played a top 10 or 15 or 25 MD school" thing, would you feel that FH playing against Wise is any more or less winnable than playing against CP? They are both proven, successful bigger schools. I think we might all agree that Wise or CP would be favored, maybe even heavily, but is one less winnable than the other?

I've said previously I don't get caught up in the whole 1A vs 4A thing, that's just used as an excuse. If it were Wise playing at Greenway and they were in a rebuilding year I would say the same thing. Wise would be favored but it wouldn't be a huge upset if FH won at Greenway. It would be a huge shock if FH went on the road and beat Wise in any year.

I don't get your point that you're trying to convey as it pertains to my post?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT