ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill 2019 Football Schedule 8 Games so far

If FH does not find a 9th game. With the new playoff format they still will make the playoffs and run through the 1st two games. However, they may end up on the road after that depending on how the bonus points shake out. Regardless, FH still is the overwhelming favorite in 1A.

They've still got 3 months to find a Week 4 game. They might need two as no one knows if Capital Christian (their Week 5 opponent) is going to field a team this year as their coach and (I assume) most of their players left to start a new program called Royalty Institute.

Reactions: nomad974
My issue with local teams not playing FH in football is that they play FH in every other sport. They play FH kids in football at the pee wee and youth league levels. But once varsity comes around it is no thanks. OK, fine. But I think it is time for Allegany County to move forward with their youth league programs and combine with Washington County, leaving the old traditions with Keyser, Ridgeley and Garrett County football behind. That ship has sailed. There have been discussions about it but nothing in concrete.

However, I have no doubt Alco and FH will be combining here at some point. I'm going to guess the decision will be made in the next 5-6 years. And I think Northern and Southern is not far behind.

Lag, the old system was far worse in regards to getting games as everyone scheduled to make the playoffs.

Agree but where is the fruit of a 9 game schedule? When it comes to FH it doesn’t matter. Your point on the local schools like Frankfort, northern and Keyser and up to last year...southern playing FH in all the other sports is the best point. Fh should drop these teams in all the other sports. Let them experience the headache of filling games.

Who outside of FH is having issues filling a 9 game sched?

The entire truth isn't coming out in this thread. It's 100% factual that a number of schools don't want to play FH because of their success on the 1A level, but FH could easily complete their schedule by playing a traditional rival like Martinsburg (that FH made a decision to stop playing) or a Friendship Collegiate (that they broke an agreement with last season). Or a Dunbar (Baltimore) or a Lackey (who has come on the board several times and said they reached out to FH). So don't act like the system is broken because teams are running around trying to avoid FH, and FH is also running around trying to avoid other teams.

I hope moving forward, with the expanded playoffs, FH perhaps would be open to playing some of the bigger competitive schools. Based on my amateur opinion FH could compete with most of the top 2A schools and some of the mid tier 3A schools (even a few 4A teams). Sure they could lose a game and subsequently home field but I don't think that would hurt their 1A championship aspirations too much.

It's important to note that the new playoff format was not a done deal early in the winter and late last fall when games for the next season are being put together. Many teams were still scheduling for the old playoff system. I'm hoping the next few years opens those doors and possibilities. Which is why I was such a huge supporter of this 9 game expanded playoff thing. I'm sure many teams still won't play each other but it should be much better...I hope.

Also, getting a late game is nothing new for FH. Two years ago FH picked up Serra Catholic in mid-August to fill the schedule. One year they picked up Silver Oak to replace a last minute cancellation. One year they picked up Central Tech out of Erie, PA late in the process.

The Queen City Quad is now full. I will announce teams here soon when I also put the FH Football site back up :)

My issue with local teams not playing FH in football is that they play FH in every other sport. They play FH kids in football at the pee wee and youth league levels. But once varsity comes around it is no thanks. OK, fine. But I think it is time for Allegany County to move forward with their youth league programs and combine with Washington County, leaving the old traditions with Keyser, Ridgeley and Garrett County football behind. That ship has sailed. There have been discussions about it but nothing in concrete.

However, I have no doubt Alco and FH will be combining here at some point. I'm going to guess the decision will be made in the next 5-6 years. And I think Northern and Southern is not far behind.

Lag, the old system was far worse in regards to getting games as everyone scheduled to make the playoffs.

When I started reading this thread it looked like FH was missing a lot more games than just one. That they should easily fill.

My issue with local teams not playing FH in football is that they play FH in every other sport.

FH is the WMD football school; it is not three deep in talent at all levels in any other sport. Fact is, just as FH doesn't play all sports with all the schools it plays football with, neither should all the local schools. FH should start signing contracts in all sports with all schools it competes with in football and then start asking/demanding locals do the same. May sound crazy to you... but think about it. You want local schools to sign 'sports' contracts, not football contracts. Truth is, you should only ask others to do what you do yourself.

However, I have no doubt Alco and FH will be combining here at some point. I'm going to guess the decision will be made in the next 5-6 years.

Maybe so. Smaller classroom size is the best, a real plum for those attending the new Alco. Maybe too a factor is that Allegany County pays its teachers significantly more than many wealthier counties.

Lag, the old system was far worse in regards to getting games as everyone scheduled to make the playoffs

Helps the better football schools deliver another ass-kicking under the guise of getting more schools in the playoffs. As I mentioned before, I see a potential of schools, like FH, getting only 8 regular season games (or eventually less) and less talented schools skipping the playoffs entirely - football ain't basketball or girls' softball. Imagine a scenario of FH getting 8 regular season games and then a lineup of forfeits. I will always contend in high school: play 10 of the most competitive games a school can find, then hit the books. The concept of a playoff as it has evolved sucks swamp water. It will, in my opinion, drive more schools out of football.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
My issue with local teams not playing FH in football is that they play FH in every other sport.

FH is the WMD football school; it is not three deep in talent at all levels in any other sport. Fact is, just as FH doesn't play all sports with all the schools it plays football with, neither should all the local schools. FH should start signing contracts in all sports with all schools it competes with in football and then start asking/demanding locals do the same. May sound crazy to you... but think about it. You want local schools to sign 'sports' contracts, not football contracts. Truth is, you should only ask others to do what you do yourself.

If FH tried to play their football opponents in all sports they would go broke. The traveling distance is too great. Even if they picked up all the Berkeley and Jefferson County schools in WV in all sports - the 90 minute drive for basketball, soccer, softball, etc is too great of a bus expense and on a school night getting back late. Football games are not scheduled on a school night. Or in other words, the county BOE is not going to permit playing Baltimore and DC schools on a Tuesday night.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
If FH tried to play their football opponents in all sports they would go broke. The traveling distance is too great. Even if they picked up all the Berkeley and Jefferson County schools in WV in all sports - the 90 minute drive for basketball, soccer, softball, etc is too great of a bus expense and on a school night getting back late. Football games are not scheduled on a school night. Or in other words, the county BOE is not going to permit playing Baltimore and DC schools on a Tuesday night.

I was sure there were a myriad of reasons... and that's fine. You just listed additional differences between the sports. All you gotta do is add the differences in depth and talent and the fact that football is a contact sport and there is almost no reason for schools to have to play each other in all sports. Again, that's fine.

A little off topic, but honestly I would be shocked if there isn't movement on the combined Northern/Southern next school year. We won't know until the strategic facilities committee makes its recommendations this fall, but I think that shoe is going to drop very very soon (I may be wrong, but I feel its closer than a lot of people think). The community has made it very clear though that they want no further consolidation of elementary schools and even a K-6, 7-12 set up is a no go because they do not want Kindergarteners with 6th graders and do not want 7th grade girls with 12th grade boys in the same building even though they ride the same bus in most cases and there'd be more supervision in school than there is on busses, but I digress.

A little off topic, but honestly I would be shocked if there isn't movement on the combined Northern/Southern next school year. We won't know until the strategic facilities committee makes its recommendations this fall, but I think that shoe is going to drop very very soon (I may be wrong, but I feel its closer than a lot of people think). The community has made it very clear though that they want no further consolidation of elementary schools and even a K-6, 7-12 set up is a no go because they do not want Kindergarteners with 6th graders and do not want 7th grade girls with 12th grade boys in the same building even though they ride the same bus in most cases and there'd be more supervision in school than there is on busses, but I digress.

I hear ya. It's the same in Allegany County. Nobody wants consolidation because it is a sign of failing financially and as a community. And it breaks tradition and things people are used to. People in these parts hate change. What is extremely ironic is that when many of the Allegany County schools originally consolidated (Bruce, Valley, Beall, Mt. Savage) people fought it in those communities citing reasons like smaller classrooms were better, they didn't want K students mixed with older students, bus issues, etc. The leaders in Cumberland (which is the county seat) told them all they were nuts and dismissed their reasons as ludicrous. Yet now that the shoe is on the other foot and Cumberland schools are looking at the prospect of consolidation the leaders are all crying about how smaller classrooms are the best route, bus issues, etc. Basically the same reasons Bruce HS and Mr. Marsh fought for over a decade...and they laughed at him and called him crazy.

I mean, does anyone in Westernport, Frostburg or Lonaconing still feel depressed because all their kids are at Mountain Ridge? I'm going to guess no.

Reactions: 52 to victory

Those parents should be grateful they are not in the Boyertown PA school district. They would be showering with those boys.

https://www.boyertownasd.org/

https://www.wnd.com/2019/05/supremes-go-silent-let-school-put-boys-in-girls-showers/

However, I have no doubt Alco and FH will be combining here at some point. I'm going to guess the decision will be made in the next 5-6 years.

Maybe so. Smaller classroom size is the best, a real plum for those attending the new Alco. Maybe too a factor is that Allegany County pays its teachers significantly more than many wealthier counties.

Lag, the old system was far worse in regards to getting games as everyone scheduled to make the playoffs

Helps the better football schools deliver another ass-kicking under the guise of getting more schools in the playoffs. As I mentioned before, I see a potential of schools, like FH, getting only 8 regular season games (or eventually less) and less talented schools skipping the playoffs entirely - football ain't basketball or girls' softball. Imagine a scenario of FH getting 8 regular season games and then a lineup of forfeits. I will always contend in high school: play 10 of the most competitive games a school can find, then hit the books. The concept of a playoff as it has evolved sucks swamp water. It will, in my opinion, drive more schools out of football.

Interesting topic here with how our home county pays it's teachers compared to other counties. If, for example, the average pay for a classroom teacher in Allegany County is $65k and that's in the top 5 salaries in the entire state out of the 24 counties... why do we pay that high? Unless I'm wrong, we're the poorest county in the state, behind Garrett County only because we don't have a lake to monetize. So it's not like we have the budget to pay very well.

Are we attracting top educator talent from outside the general area? If so, what percentage of our teachers are considered native to the county?

Btw.. I'm not a fan of underpaying teachers. Two of my immediate family members work/ed in public education, so I don't want it to seem like we shouldn't pay our teachers well. I'm just curious if anyone on the board knows what the main drivers are? Todd, FHHSAHS, Lags, etc?

Interesting topic here with how our home county pays it's teachers compared to other counties. If, for example, the average pay for a classroom teacher in Allegany County is $65k and that's in the top 5 salaries in the entire state out of the 24 counties... why do we pay that high? Unless I'm wrong, we're the poorest county in the state, behind Garrett County only because we don't have a lake to monetize. So it's not like we have the budget to pay very well.

Are we attracting top educator talent from outside the general area? If so, what percentage of our teachers are considered native to the county?

Btw.. I'm not a fan of underpaying teachers. Two of my immediate family members work/ed in public education, so I don't want it to seem like we shouldn't pay our teachers well. I'm just curious if anyone on the board knows what the main drivers are? Todd, FHHSAHS, Lags, etc?

I believe Somerset is the poorest county in Maryland but I don't believe Allegany is too far ahead. The opposite is true here in Frederick, we are in the top 10 economically but our teachers have some of, if not, the worst pay in the State. We are losing teachers all of the time to neighboring Counties and States because of it.

Well, poor folks may have the numbers but it takes money and connections to get elected. When you lose your private sector middle class jobs as Allegany County did, you are basically left with government employees as the only middle class. The teachers then become the number one middle class with organizational and financial clout.

So, when the budget comes up the county keeps rewarding those who keep supporting the politicians in charge. The Board of Education submits a budget with a healthy increase in pay and the county rubber stamps it. I think only recently has Allegany County rejected a fat raise for the teachers... and, of course, the teachers staged a hissy-fit that students where getting neglected by not paying the teachers more.

Over all, I think that teachers should be paid well. Then again, the educational system in Maryland is crap. The teachers like to have it both ways: they claim to be victims of the admins but turn right around and support all the bullshit systems put in place. The latest one is really pathetic: you used to have to go to school to graduate... not really learn anything... just show up. Now, you don't even have to show up. Students that average 1 day a month attending school are graduated.

Then again, specifically in Maryland, maybe most of those students who don't show up are MS-13 gang members who don't speak English. So, better not to have them around real students anyhow.

I keep adding up all the new scams that get perpetrated on society... and just when I think they can't get more outrageous.... Boom! Here comes a bigger one.

Here is the salary schedule as published by the Maryland Department of Education for 2017-2018. From pages 5-11 you will see the teacher salaries broken down by county. Generally speaking, MoCo & PG have the highest salaries. Dorchester & Caroline have the lowest. The rankings change slightly based on the teachers education level.

http://www.marylandpublicschools.or...SSP/20172018Staff/20172018SalarySchedules.pdf

Last edited:
Here is the salary schedule as published by the Maryland Department of Education for 2017-2018. From pages 5-11 you will see the teacher salaries broken down by county. Generally speaking, MoCo & PG have the highest salaries. Dorchester & Caroline have the lowest. The rankings change slightly based on the teachers education level.

http://www.marylandpublicschools.or...SSP/20172018Staff/20172018SalarySchedules.pdf

Those are salary schedules, but as I understand it many counties have not given the teachers their 'steps' for years. They are a guide not a given. Allegany County teachers have been given their 'steps' until recently.... or at least that is what I think I read.

A quick google search will tell you that Allegany and Garrett County average teacher salaries are the lowest in the state of Maryland. I don't know how reliable salary.com is but that seems like legit data. So I'm not sure who said we have the highest paid teachers here.

https://www1.salary.com/MD/Public-School-Teacher-salary.html?sortby=salary50&isasc=1

A few years ago I was following a teacher protest in my county. In the local online rag they posted actual pay... not scheduled pay... which is a guide, not a guarantee. My understanding is that Allegany County has given its teachers their 'steps' over the years whereas, in my county they had not for years. Steps, as they are known, can get stricken from any budget submitted by the BOE.

the average pay for a classroom teacher in Allegany County is $65k and that's in the top 5 salaries in the entire state out of the 24 counties

That number might be correct when using actual average pay for the teachers in each county. Aside from years of service and education level, Allegany County has given the teachers their 'steps' for years.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
the average pay for a classroom teacher in Allegany County is $65k and that's in the top 5 salaries in the entire state out of the 24 counties

That number might be correct when using actual average pay for the teachers in each county. Aside from years of service and education level, Allegany County has given the teachers their 'steps' for years.
Correct and Allegany County is Starting Teachers at 43k and it's one of the highest in the State.

Reactions: Lagmeister
Correct and Allegany County is Starting Teachers at 43k and it's one of the highest in the State.

Maybe the salaries have to be higher than most places to be able to attract quality teachers to Western MD and more importantly to keep the turnover rate low. I'm sure rural communities that don't pay well are always hurting for teachers.

I know I once had a choice between a job in Florida and a job in Mississippi and I chose Florida and about $10k less in salary because you can't put a price on quality of life.

Maybe the salaries have to be higher than most places to be able to attract quality teachers to Western MD and more importantly to keep the turnover rate low. I'm sure rural communities that don't pay well are always hurting for teachers.

I know I once had a choice between a job in Florida and a job in Mississippi and I chose Florida and about $10k less in salary because you can't put a price on quality of life.

Ah yes, Florida. It has no personal income tax, which wipes out a chunk of that $10k. It has homestead exemptions that greatly reduces your property tax: $25k for single and $50k for adults (as of 2018). Land of sunshine and more bang for your 'income' buck. Oh, and lest we forget, it's a 'stand your ground' state so the elderly don't have to try and outrun getting beaten to death for wearing the wrong hat.

It's important to note that the new playoff format was not a done deal early in the winter and late last fall when games for the next season are being put together. Many teams were still scheduling for the old playoff system. I'm hoping the next few years opens those doors and possibilities. Which is why I was such a huge supporter of this 9 game expanded playoff thing. I'm sure many teams still won't play each other but it should be much better...I hope.

Also, getting a late game is nothing new for FH. Two years ago FH picked up Serra Catholic in mid-August to fill the schedule. One year they picked up Silver Oak to replace a last minute cancellation. One year they picked up Central Tech out of Erie, PA late in the process.

The Queen City Quad is now full. I will announce teams here soon when I also put the FH Football site back up :)

I believe Somerset is the poorest county in Maryland but I don't believe Allegany is too far ahead. The opposite is true here in Frederick, we are in the top 10 economically but our teachers have some of, if not, the worst pay in the State. We are losing teachers all of the time to neighboring Counties and States because of it.

First off, good insights all around from everyone. LHS, I'm a little surprised that Frederick County schools is one of the lowest in the state. One of our friends is their HR Director and spends a fair amount of time recruiting new teachers. I figured it was due to growth, but looks like it could be due to turnover.

eaglesinsider - my first thought was the same as yours.. it would make sense that Allegany County has to pay more on the average to try to recruit talented teachers in, but if I were betting, I'd say the vast majority of county educators are either county natives or from an adjacent county. Could be 65%, could be 90%, I'm not sure. But I hear you on the FL thing too.. all my buddies living in FL and TX take home an extra $1k/month with no income tax. The FL dudes pay more in sales tax, and the Texas dudes get hammered on property tax.

Mount Saint Joseph and Our Lady of Mount Carmel are the only two sanctioned teams in MD and DE besides FH that have Week 4 open. I have all schedules for all MPSSAA schools outside of Baltimore City now.

MSJ will be very good this year, likely a Top 5 team in MD and probably co-favorites with Calvert Hall to win the MIAA A. Mount Carmel will be Silver Oak level or worse.

I think I have only been in Northern and Southern a hand full of times over the years but could either school handle the enrollment of both schools?

The starting salary and potential bump in salary due to service is no doubt a huge reason why Allegany County sees a big amount of teachers come from the county. There aren't too many jobs in the area that can offer that amount in salary.

I wouldn't think that Mount Carmel would be interested in playing Fort Hill. They would be looking for games against the likes of Hancock. It will be hard for Fort Hill to get a 9th game. If they go into the season with only 8 games it puts them in a tough position considering the weather we tend to have during football season. Not to mention the Capital Christian thing.

Mount Saint Joseph and Our Lady of Mount Carmel are the only two sanctioned teams in MD and DE besides FH that have Week 4 open. I have all schedules for all MPSSAA schools outside of Baltimore City now.

MSJ will be very good this year, likely a Top 5 team in MD and probably co-favorites with Calvert Hall to win the MIAA A. Mount Carmel will be Silver Oak level or worse.

Zero chance FH plays MSJ. Check their past schedules and let me know the last time they scheduled a team in the Top 30, lol. Mount Carmel game is a possibility.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
According to the numbers both schools are only at roughly 50% of their state rated capacity, and the middle schools are roughly in a similar boat. Southern likely could hold both schools although it might be a bit crowded. They have a SRC of 1400 some, combined they'd be at 12-1300 as a ball park. They could also try the 6-12 or 7-12 idea again but there was very little public support for it when it was floated this past fall, even though it would keep secondary schools in both ends of the county. The county has a $4.1 million budget deficit, most of the schools need some sort of renovation, 2 schools in the southern end need major renovations. Something's going to have to give, whether we the community likes it or not. Unless the county can come up with some magical pot of money, there are going to have to be major changes the next few years.

I think I have only been in Northern and Southern a hand full of times over the years but could either school handle the enrollment of both schools?

Zero chance FH plays MSJ. Check their past schedules and let me know the last time they scheduled a team in the Top 30, lol. Mount Carmel game is a possibility.
Actually FH has played MSJ twice in the last 10 years. How many other MPSSAA schools in any class can make the same claim? LOL wrong again. Do you really despise FH success so much that you just continue to spew the same 8 or so claims repeatedly?

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Actually FH has played MSJ twice in the last 10 years. How many other MPSSAA schools in any class can make the same claim? LOL wrong again. Do you really despise FH success so much that you just continue to spew the same 8 or so claims repeatedly?

You're right. LOL. I always forget about that series. My junior season at FH (1983) we played Mount St. Joe's at the stadium. A bench clearing brawl broke out with about 5 minutes left in the game. The refs called the game, picked up the ball and ran off the field. No one was ejected or had to sit the next week. Ah, the good ole days. You just buckled the chin strap and stormed the field. They also had a kicker who booted like a 52 yard field goal. FH still won the game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT