ADVERTISEMENT

FH - MR

First impressions, that game could have been 48-0. 3 lost fumbles, botched punt snap, a gross amount of 10 and 15 yard penalty calls. Some of them phantom variety. Amazing how FH gets nailed for holding calls on gut plays while Hess never gets a single holding call, LOL.

At present Hess is the POY with Daniels in the discussion.

Mtn Ridge wasn't the faster team. FH can move.

FH defense looked like they had 24 players in red on the field. Nothing was open. Nothing. Pressure everywhere and zero space between the tackles.

FH line of scrimmage too much.

First impressions, that game could have been 48-0. 3 lost fumbles, botched punt snap, a gross amount of 10 and 15 yard penalty calls. Some of them phantom variety. Amazing how FH gets nailed for holding calls on gut plays while Hess never gets a single holding call, LOL.

At present Hess is the POY with Daniels in the discussion.

Mtn Ridge wasn't the faster team. FH can move.

FH defense looked like they had 24 players in red on the field. Nothing was open. Nothing. Pressure everywhere and zero space between the tackles.

FH line of scrimmage too much.
Even the touchdown pass that ridge threw had to be thrown perfectly

My hunch was right,,, not close. Ridge had no answer for either side of the ball on the lines of scrimmage. I feel bad for Patterson and Michaels who both took a beating in the backfield. Like I said in an earlier post, this year's team is no where near the level of last year's team. Congrats to FH, that was an a$$ whipping.

Last edited:
Very weird game. I didn’t see any stats but I wonder if ridge had positive rushing yards. I dont think so. I know Patterson was minus 22
I’ve watched a lot of Fort Hill games and I think that 2nd half might have been Fort Hills sloppiest
I would wager that Fort Hill is the most penalized in the state.
Hopefully that’s the worst Fort Hill can play. I didn’t see that blowout happening. Especially with a sloppy play.
I think we should all just realize that whether it was the last coach or this one FH will always have a lot of turnovers and a lot of penalties. There are things coaches are good at and things they are not. When you are that sloppy and still beat an undefeated rival you have to be doing most things right. Coach said they will watch film and clean things up...you could say that after every game but what are you actually doing about it.

This is more proof that the state poll means next to nothing. For MR to be ranked ahead of FH is disgraceful and an embarrassment. Don’t go by that poll. I assure you it’s only accurate at the top.

I think we should all just realize that whether it was the last coach or this one FH will always have a lot of turnovers and a lot of penalties. There are things coaches are good at and things they are not. When you are that sloppy and still beat an undefeated rival you have to be doing most things right. Coach said they will watch film and clean things up...you could say that after every game but what are you actually doing about it.

FH had four penalties when they crossed the river last week. I think they were all five yarders.

What about that great win over a quality Alco team? Wait, is it possible that MR has just dropped back down to Alco's level.
I recognize your sarcasm, but...Seems very likely, but still not entirely certain. I do wish the game would've been in drier weather to see if MR's #11 talent is there against a quality team like FH. I saw some subtleties, but nothing that leads me to believe he deserves PoY over FH's #3

Also, how may TDs does #3 for FH have? The said MR #11 had 11, but six of those were against Catoctin in game 1? I guess he has 12 now.

MR's #11 seems like a talent but not on the same level of last years #8. Not to mention MR's line play was so much better last year.

I recognize your sarcasm, but...Seems very likely, but still not entirely certain. I do wish the game would've been in drier weather to see if MR's #11 talent is there against a quality team like FH. I saw some subtleties, but nothing that leads me to believe he deserves PoY over FH's #3

Also, how may TDs does #3 for FH have? The said MR #11 had 11, but six of those were against Catoctin in game 1? I guess he has 12 now.

MR's #11 seems like a talent but not on the same level of last years #8. Not to mention MR's line play was so much better last year.
I think #3 danials has 11 TDs also. Maybe 10

I’m really not all that impressed by Wadsworth. Their defense is different variations of a 3-4, at least when they are defending 4w and 5w offenses. Their offense is all shotgun, with occasional 4w sets. I really feel the FH pass defense has improved over the last couple years. I guess we’ll see

Reactions: Argox66
Very disappointed in area officiating. After watching replay on TV, I paid particular attention to several plays. Horrible pass interference call on # 11 near goal line, there was no contact at all. Two block in the back calls on FH big plays. One on #8, and the other on #28, watching the play live I did not see them and on the replay I watched closely and couldn't find them. I wonder what the game film shows. Is it me or does FH seem to get flagged much more playing locally than they do on the road. I'm sure the question has been asked before. BTW I noticed at least 5 or 6 plays that Hess was blatantly being held yet no flag. Not that it mattered.

Speaking of officiating. What is the point of have a coaches and players box when Paterson is allowed to roam end zone to end zone talking to the official in between every play?

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Very disappointed in area officiating. After watching replay on TV, I paid particular attention to several plays. Horrible pass interference call on # 11 near goal line, there was no contact at all. Two block in the back calls on FH big plays. One on #8, and the other on #28, watching the play live I did not see them and on the replay I watched closely and couldn't find them. I wonder what the game film shows. Is it me or does FH seem to get flagged much more playing locally than they do on the road. I'm sure the question has been asked before. BTW I noticed at least 5 or 6 plays that Hess was blatantly being held yet no flag. Not that it
Carter Hess gets tackled. It should be impossible for him not to draw at least one holding flag. There were literally 3 plays last night where the blocker wrapped his arms around the legs of Hess and tackled him to the ground, once from behind as Hess was running to the ball. It's frustrating to see FH draw those flags weekly while the opponent doesn't.

I asked last week...how does FH draw 10+ penalties every game but at Briar Woods they don't get hardly any, what changed?

Speaking of officiating. What is the point of have a coaches and players box when Paterson is allowed to roam end zone to end zone talking to the official in between every play?
I remember another guy who refused to leave the end zone after coming out of the coaching overlook upstairs

Carter Hess gets tackled. It should be impossible for him not to draw at least one holding flag. There were literally 3 plays last night where the blocker wrapped his arms around the legs of Hess and tackled him to the ground, once from behind as Hess was running to the ball. It's frustrating to see FH draw those flags weekly while the opponent doesn't.

I asked last week...how does FH draw 10+ penalties every game but at Briar Woods they don't get hardly any, what changed?
Watch the replay of the FH interception late in the 4th quarter. Perfect example of Hess being literally tackled and of course no call.

On the penalty on #8 on the FH sideline right in front of us he literally put his hands to his side and ran thru the play to avoid making contact. At the time, I thought it was the perfect way to avoid a penalty and they still called it!

Last edited:
The officiating sucks because they can’t get good people out to officiate. FH is 35-40 points better than MR. No question! For any of u that think it’s close you are lying to yourself and others….
Yeah but if that's the reason then why doesn't it suck both ways. Last night, and last years game was so one sided.

Absolutely nothing. Recently returned to the area, and noticed lots of angst towards FH football. Whatever happened to people 20, 30, 40 years ago should not have any bearing on these kids playing today. Let it go already. To throw a flag on Hess for facemask is the correct call, but to ignore the holding is just unacceptable.

Last edited:

We all overreact sometimes, me too. I just thought it was hysterical when people put so much into a game between two teams that played a sloppy game and neither seemed to want to win. MR beating Alco is nothing new and escaping by a last second field goal just wasn't impressive. Alco coming close but short is only impressive if MR is a really good team...I don't think they are. MR is going to have a once a decade team like last year that still comes up short against FH when FH plays their game and remembers who they are. To think MR is going to be that team every year based on one year is crazy. Let's look at the last 5 or so and then use that. Same with Alco, they've shown who they are for what two decades...we should believe them. This coach has never beaten FH so why would anyone think that would change. FH just consistently wins year after year and even a coaching change hasn't affected that. You replace what some say is the greatest FH coach ever with someone with no head coaching experience and they haven't missed a beat.

Do you recall Lattimer just going off on officials when he thought they weren't doing their job. When Refosco came to town he did the same but maybe with even more intensity. I watched that man run onto the field and throw down his headset and just berate an official in a regular season game once and it was impressive! He could get a penalty and he didn't care because he knew in the long run fighting for those calls was important. Gilmore continued that tradition and I watched it work. I don't like giving away yards but it would be nice to see Alkire just take a page out of their book even once, go off, run on the field, throw his headset down, get his money worth, and let the official know know what he thinks of them.

Reactions: Tony54 and ravemwp
Absolutely nothing. Recently returned to the area, and noticed lots of angst towards FH football. Whatever happened to people 20, 30, 40 years ago should not have any bearing on these kids playing today. Let it go already. To throw a flag on Hess for facemask is the correct call, but to ignore the holding is just unacceptable.
The strike zone for an umpire has to be the same for both teams. I don't care if refs make bad calls, they are human. But it has to go both ways and that's the contention.

The strike zone for an umpire has to be the same for both teams. I don't care if refs make bad calls, they are human. But it has to go both ways and that's the contention.
I wonder if these same refs are going to do the Wadsworth game?

Reactions: ravemwp
After the 1975 Gaithersburg game, Coach Harville complained to Coach Lattimer about the officiating and said he wanted to bring 2 of his own refs up the next year. Lattimer responded by saying bring all 4.

Reactions: Argox66 and Tony54
I wonder if these same refs are going to do the Wadsworth game?
If they are, they will probably screw over Wadsworth so bad that they won't ever come back again. That's not right either. Cumberland has a bad reputation for having Homer officials when out of town teams come to Western Maryland, and I'm not so sure that I disagree. Not something I would be proud of as a community. Hard enough to schedule games without that hanging over our heads. Just keep it fair, and honest.

If they are, they will probably screw over Wadsworth so bad that they won't ever come back again. That's not right either. Cumberland has a bad reputation for having Homer officials when out of town teams come to Western Maryland, and I'm not so sure that I disagree. Not something I would be proud of as a community. Hard enough to schedule games without that hanging over our heads. Just keep it fair, and honest.
EVERY area has a reputation for homer officials.

It sure dosent seem like any team that Fort Hill plays in years gets as many penalties as they do

Last edited:
EVERY area has a reputation for homer officials.
I don't necessarily disagree, I have seen and been involved in games going back to the 70s that were way beyond just Homer calls. I'm sure everyone has a story, but the most egregious I recall is Cardinal Gibbons from Baltimore (could be wrong about which team from Bmore) coming here in the mid 70s. Folklore has it that they were calling holding penalties on Gibbons while they were in the locker room at halftime. LOL Being there it really did seem like it. To this day I don't think I have ever seen so many flags thrown in a high school game. I don't think Gibbons ever came back Western Maryland.

Last edited:
The Cumberland homer ref perception has no real bases. I would bet money that in the past 5 years FH has had 20 plus touchdowns and just as many big plays called back. Heck, in 2018 one player alone had about 7-8 TD’s taken off the board. The team probably had 11 total home TD’s removed.

The Cumberland homer ref perception has no real bases. I would bet money that in the past 5 years FH has had 20 plus touchdowns and just as many big plays called back. Heck, in 2018 one player alone had about 7-8 TD’s taken off the board. The team probably had 11 total home TD’s removed.
When FH is playing at home against local or semi local teams, most calls go against them, I agree. I'm talking about out of town teams coming here and playing against FH, Alco, MR, BW, Beall, and Valley through the years. Most of the time those out of town teams got squashed by officiating when playing here, and back in those days it was no secret that it was going to happen. If guys who played at those schools back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s would tell you anything different, well then they just aren't telling the truth. I always knew we had the refs in our pockets against the out of towners. Hell it was a common running joke among some of the local officials. Those city kids don't know what they are walking into.

When FH is playing at home against local or semi local teams, most calls go against them, I agree. I'm talking about out of town teams coming here and playing against FH, Alco, MR, BW, Beall, and Valley through the years. Most of the time those out of town teams got squashed by officiating when playing here, and back in those days it was no secret that it was going to happen. If guys who played at those schools back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s would tell you anything different, well then they just aren't telling the truth. I always knew we had the refs in our pockets against the out of towners. Hell it was a common running joke among some of the local officials. Those city kids don't know what they are walking into.
“A common running joke among some local officials.” I doubt that refs joked about anything. I played in the 1990’s. I do not recall any homer called games. Every time there has been a claim of homer-ism one could go back to the video and see that most of the calls are for procedural penalties which have no judgment factor. Most of the “city” teams I have noticed are simply not used to procedural rules by the book. If you watch those teams on their own turf the refs allow things to pass such as delay of game or illegal shifts or motions. When they get into a district where there are play clocks and those rules are enforced as they should be of course they seem out of place because they have been allowed to play undisciplined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT