ADVERTISEMENT

FH - MR

When you look at Frederick, they only lost to Oakdale by 12. I think they’re a good team but Ridge beat them easily.
I have a feeling that Frankfort is good and Ridge over looked them a little.
This is really going to be an interesting game because this Fort Hill team last night looked scary good.

Briar Woods didn’t make any mistakes or turn the ball over. They were fundamentally sound and well coached. It really was just a thorough beat down.

I can’t wait to see this game Friday night!

When you look at Frederick, they only lost to Oakdale by 12. I think they’re a good team but Ridge beat them easily.
I have a feeling that Frankfort is good and Ridge over looked them a little.
This is really going to be an interesting game because this Fort Hill team last night looked scary good.

Briar Woods didn’t make any mistakes or turn the ball over. They were fundamentally sound and well coached. It really was just a thorough beat down.

I can’t wait to see this game Friday night!
Shocked you didn't say anything about 49 rushes and 2 passes...so much for "we're going to throw the ball more this year". I get it, what they did worked. If MR puts 11 guys within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage and stuff the fb do they go off script and try to throw for 200 yards like last year or do they stick with the run and not even try to incorporate 5 or 6 short passes like the ones that worked last night.
I'm still a little bewildered as to why have so many underclassmen on the varsity. They would be getting a lot of experience on jv that they aren't getting right now. Are there really no juniors or seniors that could have touched the ball 7 times last night instead of having a couple of underclassmen do that? Why keep running the starting fb when he's obviously hobbled instead of giving those guys a chance to get some reps.
Look, obviously FH has the best coaching staff in the area, they didn't miss a beat changing head coaches, they are the leaders of the last two state championships. You can go on and on about Hansel or Patterson but they aren't winning a title. All I'm saying is what all armchair qb's do and that is it would great to have some insight into some perplexing decisions.

Reactions: 4R341 and Tony54
Shocked you didn't say anything about 49 rushes and 2 passes...so much for "we're going to throw the ball more this year". I get it, what they did worked. If MR puts 11 guys within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage and stuff the fb do they go off script and try to throw for 200 yards like last year or do they stick with the run and not even try to incorporate 5 or 6 short passes like the ones that worked last night.
I'm still a little bewildered as to why have so many underclassmen on the varsity. They would be getting a lot of experience on jv that they aren't getting right now. Are there really no juniors or seniors that could have touched the ball 7 times last night instead of having a couple of underclassmen do that? Why keep running the starting fb when he's obviously hobbled instead of giving those guys a chance to get some reps.
Look, obviously FH has the best coaching staff in the area, they didn't miss a beat changing head coaches, they are the leaders of the last two state championships. You can go on and on about Hansel or Patterson but they aren't winning a title. All I'm saying is what all armchair qb's do and that is it would great to have some insight into some perplexing decisions.
😂 They threw a swing pass and a misdirection pass just to show we know how. I should add that Blair Woods started blitzing their linebackers when we threw the screen pass. It was 2nd down and 14….. And what do u know it worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwj21
I'm always amazed watching teams in population centers, who see and do nothing but spread offense, fail to have a clue when it comes to stopping a ground and pound opponent.

Case in point, to answer the question as to why FH only threw 2 passes at Briar Woods, ummmmmm...they had a deep safety and a cornerback with no receiver on his side 10 yards off the ball. FH has 10 men in the box, Briar Woods had 8. Those two defensive backs did nothing but watch the play literally for 4 quarters. SMH

Yea, the middle was open all evening. I can assure everyone that Mtn Ridge will not have a deep safety and deep weakside corner. Some coaches get it, some do not.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
The math doesn't add up. paper says FH ran 49 times for 232yds. It says Daniels 17 for 184. Bender, Ross, and Younger totaled 12. I'm positive that Willison, Spencer, and Brown did not account for 20 carries, not that its a big deal, but does anyone have the real numbers. It did seem as though Daniels carried it more like 25 to 30 times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony54
I'm always amazed watching teams in population centers, who see and do nothing but spread offense, fail to have a clue when it comes to stopping a ground and pound opponent.

Case in point, to answer the question as to why FH only threw 2 passes at Briar Woods, ummmmmm...they had a deep safety and a cornerback with no receiver on his side 10 yards off the ball. FH has 10 men in the box, Briar Woods had 8. Those two defensive backs did nothing but watch the play literally for 4 quarters. SMH

Yea, the middle was open all evening. I can assure everyone that Mtn Ridge will not have a deep safety and deep weakside corner. Some coaches get it, some do not.
After Ridge got hammered by the Wing T for most of their existence, they had to devise a strategy that worked somewhat well. Anything else would just be folly

According to Max Preps Maryland rankings. Only 3 teams in public schools are ranked above Mountain Ridge.

Quince Orchard
Flowers
Oakdale

My pick is Fort Hill by 14 or more

Last edited:
The JV football game between FH and Mtn Ridge is this Monday at 7:00 in Frostburg.

FH has now moved 8 players from the JV to varsity. I know Mtn Ridge has been doing the same through the years. Was curious how many have been moved up this season if anyone knows?

I spoke to someone from Ridge they said 3, which sounds like a low number so idk. They are 3-1 the 1 loss to Frankfort.

According to Max Preps Maryland rankings. Only 3 teams in public schools are ranked above Mountain Ridge.

Quince Orchard
Flowers
Oakdale

My pick is Fort Hill by 14 or more
And now FH is.

FH ranked #16 and Ridge is #20

I heard MR jv's won last night 19-6. Is that true?
I don't know your thoughts on this but it seems like with so many fh players moved up the results of these games are kind of pointless. In the past when our jv's had destroyed Alco's I always thought the same thing. It's good to have kids get playing time that maybe normally wouldn't and they could develop more than what they would have if the ones moved up had stayed down. You never know when you'll find someone unexpectedly that takes advantage of the opportunity so from that aspect it's a good thing.

What could be FH JV starting backfield, Bender, Younger, and House, 2 sophomores, and a freshman are playing lots of meaningful snaps on the Varsity. Not sure how many other underclassmen are playing Varsity snaps. FH may have 7-10 underclassmen on Varsity, but they still have nearly 50 kids on the JV team.

I don't know your thoughts on this but it seems like with so many fh players moved up the results of these games are kind of pointless. In the past when our jv's had destroyed Alco's I always thought the same thing. It's good to have kids get playing time that maybe normally wouldn't and they could develop more than what they would have if the ones moved up had stayed down. You never know when you'll find someone unexpectedly that takes advantage of the opportunity so from that aspect it's a good thing.
TUESDAY OLD MAN FOOTBALL RAMBLINGS ;)

Freshman football is a thing of the past. JV football at small schools isn't easy as many of those players are forced into varsity action due to a lack of bodies. The Garrett County schools are the epitome of this to the point where we see what happened to Southern. Even the same for Alco to a large degree the past 5 years or so. Injuries only compound the matter. I remember when both Alco and FH had freshman teams once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away.

I don't ever recall eight JV players moved up to varsity at Fort Hill like what is happening now. Four of them are linemen. Mountain Ridge has to deal with the same every year too. I think it was two years ago when Ridge had six JV players moved up on varsity.

The Fort Hill JV currently has 1 sophomore playing offense and 2 sophomores on defense. The good news is that these JV players get to see lots of meaningful action they normally would not get. The bad news is that scoreboard results are not what you want sometimes but you hope to develop and discover a few gems that can help down the road.

FH will split into two teams next week. One of the games is at Martinsburg - yowsa! The other game versus the Hollidaysburg freshmen team is with a group of FH 9th graders that have never played together yet this season who normally do not see time on the field. Not sure what the results will be (won't be easy for coaches) but it's important to keep in mind the end goals for down the road.

Digging backwards - when I played football at FH under head coach Jim Chaney, my sophomore year he moved myself and about five others up to varsity after the third week. What was left on the JV was a real bad result. I guess coaches needed bodies to run scout team and offer some depth. Well, I never got to play in games outside of special teams. I despised it, almost quit. Wasn't fun busting ass at practice (and Chaney busted your ass) all week/every week while never getting to play in a game. When you are dealing with 15 year old kids the results are sometimes unknown.

Talking with my father last night at the game, we were just amazed walking around the facilities that Mountain Ridge is a combination of four schools from the past: Beall, Mount Savage, Bruce and Valley. I played against all those schools as a student-athlete at FH. All of it just a sign of the region's depopulation times.

Here is a breakdown of the FH roster for those curious:
CLASS BREAKDOWN BY NUMBERS
Seniors - 20
Juniors - 9
Sophomores - 19
Freshmen - 32
Being really light on numbers with the junior class forced this JV movement hand I suppose.

Last edited:
TUESDAY OLD MAN FOOTBALL RAMBLINGS ;)

Freshman football is a thing of the past. JV football at small schools isn't easy as many of those players are forced into varsity action due to a lack of bodies. The Garrett County schools are the epitome of this to the point where we see what happened to Southern. Even the same for Alco to a large degree the past 5 years or so. Injuries only compound the matter. I remember when both Alco and FH had freshman teams once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away.

I don't ever recall eight JV players moved up to varsity at Fort Hill like what is happening now. Four of them are linemen. Mountain Ridge has to deal with the same every year too. I think it was two years ago when Ridge had six JV players moved up on varsity.

The Fort Hill JV currently has 1 sophomore playing offense and 2 sophomores on defense. The good news is that these JV players get to see lots of meaningful action they normally would not get. The bad news is that scoreboard results are not what you want sometimes but you hope to develop and discover a few gems that can help down the road.

FH will split into two teams next week. One of the games is at Martinsburg - yowsa! The other game versus the Hollidaysburg freshmen team is with a group of FH 9th graders that have never played together yet this season who normally do not see time on the field. Not sure what the results will be (won't be easy for coaches) but it's important to keep in mind the end goals for down the road.

Digging backwards - when I played football at FH under head coach Jim Chaney, my sophomore year he moved myself and about five others up to varsity after the third week. What was left on the JV was a real bad result. I guess coaches needed bodies to run scout team and offer some depth. Well, I never got to play in games outside of special teams. I despised it, almost quit. Wasn't fun busting ass at practice (and Chaney busted your ass) all week/every week while never getting to play in a game. When you are dealing with 15 year old kids the results are sometimes unknown.

Talking with my father last night at the game, we were just amazed walking around the facilities that Mountain Ridge is a combination of four schools from the past: Beall, Mount Savage, Bruce and Valley. I played against all those schools as a student-athlete at FH. All of it just a sign of the region's depopulation times.

Here is a breakdown of the FH roster for those curious:
CLASS BREAKDOWN BY NUMBERS
Seniors - 20
Juniors - 9
Sophomores - 19
Freshmen - 32
Being really light on numbers with the junior class forced this JV movement hand I suppose.
It would be very interesting to see the other team’s class breakdowns because I think Covid has a direct correlation to the FH numbers. When everything was shut down in 2020 and into 2021 would’ve been the juniors 8th grade year that would’ve been lost and the beginning of freshman year 2021 year was very questionable on if anything would be played let alone being able to practice or lift weights. I’d be curious to know how many kids never came back to football because they lost that final year before high school.

Okay real predictions ? What do y’all think? Do you think fh will run away with it? Or do you think mr with pass all over and give fh a ball game like last year?

FH 31-7

briar woods seemed to run a similar offense to mountain ridge but I don’t see ridge having the athletes that BW had. Carter Hess will once again be the difference and be the game wrecker. I do think ridge will have a good defensive game plan for FH like they always do but if the interior run defense is as bad it has been all season then FH wears on them all night and just chews the clock. This game may not be bad on the score board but I could see total yards and Time of possession being very one sided.

FH 31-7

briar woods seemed to run a similar offense to mountain ridge but I don’t see ridge having the athletes that BW had. Carter Hess will once again be the difference and be the game wrecker. I do think ridge will have a good defensive game plan for FH like they always do but if the interior run defense is as bad it has been all season then FH wears on them all night and just chews the clock. This game may not be bad on the score board but I could see total yards and Time of possession being very one sided.
I haven’t noticed that their interior defense has played poorly. I watched a little bit of the Allegany game, and Alco could not maintain drives against them.. they have only given up two touchdowns in a game.

Reactions: ravemwp
FH 31-7

You took my score! Okay I'll go 31-10

Remember in 2022 FH had a really impressive win at Oakdale, then the following week dropped an egg against MR. Just sayin.

• Haha
Mountain Ridge coaches are very good with scheming against FH just like local rivals should be. What worked in other games doesn't always work against the Miners. Also keep in mind that these Miner seniors beat FH when they were sophomores and when they were in the 8th grade. So they know what it takes.

This is a battle of raw power versus skill. Carter Hess vs. Will Patterson kind of stuff even when measuring a team level comparison. Interesting match ups. I give FH advantage on the line and MR advantage throwing and running with the QB. At this point of the season there is no question who the Area POY is - that is Will with Carter probably right behind him.

I hear that both teams are dealing with an injury on the offensive line, but won't elaborate on injuries when dealing with our young men. Looks like some rain is in the forecast for Friday so protecting the football is always a huge key in big match ups, even without a wet field.

I sense a great deal of confidence on the Red side of town based on physics, but I see it being closer. However, an analogy I like to use is that if there is going to be a lopsided score, that would be in favor of FH. I don't think MR can blow FH out. I'll set the line at FH -10. It will not surprise me if FH wins big and it won't surprise me if MR wins outright. Once the 4th qtr gets here and it's close, either team has a shot.

Mistakes, Turnovers and Penalties!
Can only hope the refs let the kids play. Only call the absolute obvious and let the rest go. How does FH get 10+ penalties at Hollidaysburg (many of them holding) and hardly none at Briar Woods? In one week did the refs change or did the players change? Just different officiating philosophies I suppose. The Alco vs. MR game had way too many flags on both teams, let them play.

Last edited:
Since my days, early 70s, I have always believed that Allegany County High School Football is played at a different level of intensity than anywhere else in the state. That level rises two fold when playing against each other. The final score is not always indicative of how the game is played. Take last year final for instance. That 30-8 score was an extra point away from being a one score game midway through the 4th quarter. I can see something similar this year as well. That being said, I think FH may be just a little bigger, faster, stronger and deeper, but can't measure the heart of these young men. Thinking we are in for a good game. ALLEGANY COUNTY IS 1A FOOTBALL.

Mountain Ridge coaches are very good with scheming against FH just like local rivals should be. What worked in other games doesn't always work against the Miners. Also keep in mind that these Miner seniors beat FH when they were sophomores and when they were in the 8th grade. So they know what it takes.

This is a battle of raw power versus skill. Carter Hess vs. Will Patterson kind of stuff even when measuring a team level comparison. Interesting match ups. I give FH advantage on the line and MR advantage throwing and running with the QB. At this point of the season there is no question who the Area POY is - that is Will with Carter probably right behind him.

I hear that both teams are dealing with an injury on the offensive line, but won't elaborate on injuries when dealing with our young men. Looks like some rain is in the forecast for Friday so protecting the football is always a huge key in big match ups, even without a wet field.

I sense a great deal of confidence on the Red side of town based on physics, but I see it being closer. However, an analogy I like to use is that if there is going to be a lopsided score, that would be in favor of FH. I don't think MR can blow FH out. I'll set the line at FH -10. It will not surprise me if FH wins big and it won't surprise me if MR wins outright. Once the 4th qtr gets here and it's close, either team has a shot.

Can only hope the refs let the kids play. Only call the absolute obvious and let the rest go. How does FH get 10+ penalties at Hollidaysburg (many of them holding) and hardly none at Briar Woods? In one week did the refs change or did the players change? Just different officiating philosophies I suppose. The Alco vs. MR game had way too many flags on both teams, let them play.
I love it! Patterson really is special. I’m excited to see how the Fort Hill defense matches up against him.

Last edited:

Hess wasn't on those JV and Patriots teams among other impact players.

The only thing I think is missing from this excellent post is the fact that if we're comparing seniors why aren't we comparing jv's from last year, who are mostly now juniors I would guess. FH spanked MR 42-0 last year, how do you not factor that in if we're factoring in 8th grade results?

The only thing I think is missing from this excellent post is the fact that if we're comparing seniors why aren't we comparing jv's from last year, who are mostly now juniors I would guess. FH spanked MR 42-0 last year, how do you not factor that in if we're factoring in 8th grade results?
I don't think Middle School or JV games matter once the varsity game rolls around actually. The varsity depth charts are not the same once coaches put the whole package together. As an example, when you have sophomores playing on varsity, it's unlikely those sophomores were mature enough in the 6th grade to play against 8th graders. Once they get to an older age it can be possible.

I believe the lower levels can give you an indication when one team is excessively good or excessively bad with numbers and results. I never saw either with these two teams as their players evolved. Just saying this varsity group at Mountain Ridge has won games and is not fearful of FH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT