ADVERTISEMENT

FH - MR

“A common running joke among some local officials.” I doubt that refs joked about anything. I played in the 1990’s. I do not recall any homer called games. Every time there has been a claim of homer-ism one could go back to the video and see that most of the calls are for procedural penalties which have no judgment factor. Most of the “city” teams I have noticed are simply not used to procedural rules by the book. If you watch those teams on their own turf the refs allow things to pass such as delay of game or illegal shifts or motions. When they get into a district where there are play clocks and those rules are enforced as they should be of course they seem out of place because they have been allowed to play undisciplined.
So I notice lots of chatter and agreement on here that FH does as has been getting the short end of the officials in this area for many years, and I actually agree with that assessment. I have seen some of the most ridiculous, and egregious calls go against FH, and non calls i.e. last night's fiasco literally tackling of Hess on more than several occasions without one flag. Last year at MR when every positive play by FH was called back by penalties. The years of local officials sticking it to FH trying to keep teams Like Alco, Keyser, MR etc in the game. You can go back and read and to be honest a lot of it is legitimate complaints. Yet when a team from down state, or out of state come to town that the same officials who many believe are biased against FH locally, won't turn the tables and show a little favorable officiating to the local hometown teams. Someone mentioned earlier that all districts have their version of hometown officiating and I agree. Just don't believe that it hasn't gone on here for years. It's not a FH thing. It's home cooking from the hometown officials. Don't get me wrong. I know that officiating is not an easy thing to do. Some of the comments I made were off the cuff and a little exaggerated to bring the point that homer officiating does exist here as well as other places. I'm sorry if I mislead people into thinking it was anything other than that. Sometimes it's not important if officials are consistently bad, or consistently good. What's most important for the players is that they are consistently equal. A hold is a hold, a personal foul is a personal foul no matter what the color of the uniform.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harleydeuce
Absolutely! He is without a doubt one of the ten fastest players to ever wear a Sentinel uniform.
Yes he is, probably the fastest player in Washington, Allegany, and Garrett County. I believe he broke the FH 100m track record last spring as a Sophomore. He never ran track until last year. He is not a speedster plays football. He is a football player with sprinter speed. His name is Tristan Ross. He was projected to be in the starting backfield with Daniels and Bender before a hamstring injury in the final scrimmage sidelined him until last week. Talk about a little thunder and lightning. I think once they get him back up to real game speed you will see some good things from him. He has that one cut and take it to the house ability

Tristan Ross adds one more high-quality dimension to FH. He is one of the fastest players to ever wear a Sentinel uniform.
Absolutely, the healthier he gets the more of a weapon he will become, especially with fresh legs. On the long pass play Ross came in the game at wing back MR was so afraid of his speed that the db cheated up on the jet sweep motion to him, that FH had two receivers running free. Oh BTW he may be FH best pass catching back.

We're the questionable flags thrown against FH all the officials or moreso one specific official?
After watching the replay I thought one specific official made 3 horrible calls against FH. The PI, and two block in the backs. All on big plays. The whole crew guilty of letting Ridge blatantly hold and tackle Hess on many occasions without throwing one flag. I can't remember his quote but somewhere on this thread Todd Helmick said it perfectly.

EVERY area has a reputation for homer officials.
I don't disagree, just up here it sometimes seems so blatant. Last night for instance it seemed so obvious (in person and on the TV replay) that the officials were trying to keep MR in the game. Over many years I have seen the opposite happen to out of towners. Todd made a good point in this thread and I'll expand on it, seems the last two regular season games against Ridge that FH has been penalized 20 plus times, many being major penalties at critical times or during big plays, while MR gets called for half as many and mostly minor penalties not nullifing big plays. Yet they can go to places like Briar Woods, Oakdale, and Hollidaysburg and come home with only a few minor penalties over the last couple of years. Something doesn't smell right when that happens.

Last edited:
Gotta mention Tristan Ross on the last two FH drives. Expecting to see more of him these last three games. Kid cuts on a dime.
I really like his game. He has lots of different skills to go along with that speed. When he plants that foot and cuts, he has players reaching for air. Hope he stays healthy. He can really energize an offense.

Reactions: Tony54
TUESDAY OLD MAN FOOTBALL RAMBLINGS ;)

Freshman football is a thing of the past. JV football at small schools isn't easy as many of those players are forced into varsity action due to a lack of bodies. The Garrett County schools are the epitome of this to the point where we see what happened to Southern. Even the same for Alco to a large degree the past 5 years or so. Injuries only compound the matter. I remember when both Alco and FH had freshman teams once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away.

I don't ever recall eight JV players moved up to varsity at Fort Hill like what is happening now. Four of them are linemen. Mountain Ridge has to deal with the same every year too. I think it was two years ago when Ridge had six JV players moved up on varsity.

The Fort Hill JV currently has 1 sophomore playing offense and 2 sophomores on defense. The good news is that these JV players get to see lots of meaningful action they normally would not get. The bad news is that scoreboard results are not what you want sometimes but you hope to develop and discover a few gems that can help down the road.

FH will split into two teams next week. One of the games is at Martinsburg - yowsa! The other game versus the Hollidaysburg freshmen team is with a group of FH 9th graders that have never played together yet this season who normally do not see time on the field. Not sure what the results will be (won't be easy for coaches) but it's important to keep in mind the end goals for down the road.

Digging backwards - when I played football at FH under head coach Jim Chaney, my sophomore year he moved myself and about five others up to varsity after the third week. What was left on the JV was a real bad result. I guess coaches needed bodies to run scout team and offer some depth. Well, I never got to play in games outside of special teams. I despised it, almost quit. Wasn't fun busting ass at practice (and Chaney busted your ass) all week/every week while never getting to play in a game. When you are dealing with 15 year old kids the results are sometimes unknown.

Talking with my father last night at the game, we were just amazed walking around the facilities that Mountain Ridge is a combination of four schools from the past: Beall, Mount Savage, Bruce and Valley. I played against all those schools as a student-athlete at FH. All of it just a sign of the region's depopulation times.

Here is a breakdown of the FH roster for those curious:
CLASS BREAKDOWN BY NUMBERS
Seniors - 20
Juniors - 9
Sophomores - 19
Freshmen - 32
Being really light on numbers with the junior class forced this JV movement hand I suppose.
Do you have any numbers from last years sophomores? The reason I ask is obviously this junior 9 person class sounds really crazy. Did we lose like another 9 or 15 for some reason? Did we start preseason with 20 and they saw underclassmen playing and walked? There has to be some legitimate reason as that does not bode well for next year at all.

Reactions: ravemwp
Do you have any numbers from last years sophomores? The reason I ask is obviously this junior 9 person class sounds really crazy. Did we lose like another 9 or 15 for some reason? Did we start preseason with 20 and they saw underclassmen playing and walked? There has to be some legitimate reason as that does not bode well for next year at all.
It's just a small class. Been small since day 1. That is the nature of small school athletics. Some classes big, some small. Some good, some bad.

For what it's worth from the US News HS rankings for this year, here is FH class number breakdown:
9th - 202
10th - 184
11th - 135
12th - 141
Total = 662

Interesting question. I just looked at last years rosters, between Varsity and JV there were 15 sophomores, that turned into 9 juniors this year. No idea what happened to the other 6.

Just to put a cap on last week. I may have ruffled a few feathers talking about homer officiating. For that I apologize. That being said I believe it was a particular official. Yesterday I heard a conversation that FH requested that a certain official no longer be involved FH games. I have no idea if that is true or not. Let me preface this by saying that 40 plus years ago I did some coaching and officiating at a lower level than high school. (Not here in Cumberland) The very first thing they taught us was to only call what you see. People will not like, but can understand a missed call. What people can't tolerate is a bad call, and before you say what's the difference, let me tell you there is a big difference. A missed call is that maybe you didn't see the hold, the block in the back, or the pass interference, it doesn't mean that it didn't happen, it only means we didn't see it. People are human. The flip side is that last week I didn't see 2 block in the backs that didn't happen, and a pass interference that never happened, those aren't missed calls, they are bad calls, I believe called by the same official.( watched live in the stadium, and watched replay twice even pausing and could not see any penalty) Remember officiating 101, only call what you actually see. If the guy never held, or blocked in the back, and never came close to contact with a receiver, how can you possibly throw a flag, if it never happened, how could you have possibly seen it. I feel for the officials, it's a thankless job. I'm sorry about the official shortage, because these guys are overworked at every level. If I were a younger man, maybe I would try to get back and try to be part of the solution. If you see it call it, if you miss it, admit it. If it didn't happen keep the flag in your pocket, one bad apple can make people question the integrity of all. Remember the game is about the student athletes on the field. Not the past, not the future, not the coaches or parents. The student athletes. Let's all be better, including myself.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT