ADVERTISEMENT

FH/Curley is the silent game of the week

Maybe they don't want the band on the field because the condition of the field and it got misconstrued.

This is definitely it. I'm sure it was just poorly communicated. There's no place for a band at Curley in bad weather. There's no bleacher seating at all and their field is really bad in ideal weather. A halftime show would destroy both the field and a lot of band uniforms, equipment and props.

Don't know why they said don't bring the cheerleaders though, they do have a track.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
No one can say this board certainly isn't entertaining. If you like car wrecks that is.

I make my living off the message board news
Just give me somethin', somethin' I can use
People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

:eek:

The band probably wouldn't have performed at halftime anyway. They are just trying to keep the "noise" down. They don't realize the can of worms that they just opened.

Rumor has it the first time since 1937 the band wasn't at a game. Im trying to find out why. Maybe it was a transportation problem?

No one can say this board certainly isn't entertaining. If you like car wrecks that is.

I make my living off the message board news
Just give me somethin', somethin' I can use
People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

:eek:

There once was a school named Curley,
who said, "Playing of music is squirrely."
But on that day -
the band did play,
'cause Red made their team quite surly.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
You can put down the pitchforks and the tinfoil hats, what follows are two very simple explanations from people with contacts at Curley on the Sun Board:

From "Dblock 34:"
- "It's my understanding that all opportunities to play the game at other venues (local colleges/high schools) fell through.

Spoke to someone at Curley and the main issue the administration has is what to do with the buses when FH gets there. They told Curley they were bringing upwards of 5+ buses. Which would have included the band/cheerleaders. At night and no rain that is doable because they can put the buses in the back of the school where the practice fields are, but in the rain those fields are a mud pit and the buses could get stuck and/or tear up the field. Furthermore with a 3:30 start the buses would be getting there around the same time school let's out, so you would have student/faculty vehicles still there as well as parents trying to pull onto the parking lot to pick kids up. The parking lot is not that big to begin with and usually backs traffic up on nearby roads when school let's out anyway. There is no where close to Curley to keep these buses during the game either.

Not saying agree or disagree with Curley's stand, just passing along what I heard."

And a similar explanation from "Campy 19:"
-"Lots of rumors flying around as to why the Curley vs. Fort Hill game was moved from 7pm to 3:30pm. I spoke to a few people in the know at Curley who are connected with their coaches. Also, rumors are flying as to why the band and cheerleaders can't attend the game.

According to my sources the game was moved because of weather and field concerns. Curley plays on a grass field in a bowl that doesn't drain well when it rains. The field is already a mess and with heavy rain this past Tuesday and more coming they didn't want to jeopardize the safety of the players and play Thursday night when the heaviest rain is due to hit the Baltimore area.

As far as the school not allowing the band and cheerleaders to attend the game. I was told it had to do with parking and security. Apparently, Fort Hill was bringing 7 or 8 coach buses which includes their band, cheerleaders, football team, and fans. Curley has a soccer game tomorrow that was scheduled last year for a 4 pm start time. They also have limited parking, maybe 400 parking spots on the entire campus. The school lets out at 2:30 pm and their are concerns about parents getting on campus to pick up their Curley sons which could be a logistical nightmare. The plan if the game was played at night was to park the buses in their parking lot and use the back of the school practice fields for spectator parking. Because of the rain, the school didn't want to use the back fields since they were concerned it might destroy the grounds and ruin the grass. They have Open House in two weeks and the school needs the campus looking it's best in order to recruit 8th grade students to their school. CURLEY had no issues with the band and cheerleaders originally coming, but with the change in time, limited parking, concerns of an overcrowded campus, concerns of buses parking off campus, the school administration felt it could lead to issues regarding parking, safety and a campus not in the position to accommodate that type of crowd. Fort Hill has a band with 125 students. If two parents from the band come to the game, that is another 250 spectators on campus. Fort Hill also indicated that they will travel with a fan base of 1000 spectators to the game. Because Curley has a soccer game the same time as football, kids being picked up after school, limited parking, it would become a logistical nightmare and a safety issue for the number of people parking off campus.

From what I was told, the Curley people are doing their best to make this work for Fort Hill even though Curley doesn't need the game. They are playing the game because Fort Hill needed the game for playoff purposes and Coach Murphy said he would step up and play them and make it work."

In short, Curley isn't used to and has never needed to accommodate anywhere near the amount of spectators and auxiliary personnel that FH brings. MIAA B Conference football games have traditionally been played on Friday afternoon in front of crowds of a few hundred. No MIAA B school has a band and most don't have cheerleaders.

Curley was prepared to accommodate FH's band and cheerleaders for a Thursday night game. At 3:30 with so many more people on campus, the situation changed. There really is no safe place to park buses anywhere near the school.

You can put down the pitchforks and the tinfoil hats, what follows are two very simple explanations from people with contacts at Curley on the Sun Board:

From "Dblock 34:"
- "It's my understanding that all opportunities to play the game at other venues (local colleges/high schools) fell through.

Spoke to someone at Curley and the main issue the administration has is what to do with the buses when FH gets there. They told Curley they were bringing upwards of 5+ buses. Which would have included the band/cheerleaders. At night and no rain that is doable because they can put the buses in the back of the school where the practice fields are, but in the rain those fields are a mud pit and the buses could get stuck and/or tear up the field. Furthermore with a 3:30 start the buses would be getting there around the same time school let's out, so you would have student/faculty vehicles still there as well as parents trying to pull onto the parking lot to pick kids up. The parking lot is not that big to begin with and usually backs traffic up on nearby roads when school let's out anyway. There is no where close to Curley to keep these buses during the game either.

Not saying agree or disagree with Curley's stand, just passing along what I heard."

And a similar explanation from "Campy 19:"
-"Lots of rumors flying around as to why the Curley vs. Fort Hill game was moved from 7pm to 3:30pm. I spoke to a few people in the know at Curley who are connected with their coaches. Also, rumors are flying as to why the band and cheerleaders can't attend the game.

According to my sources the game was moved because of weather and field concerns. Curley plays on a grass field in a bowl that doesn't drain well when it rains. The field is already a mess and with heavy rain this past Tuesday and more coming they didn't want to jeopardize the safety of the players and play Thursday night when the heaviest rain is due to hit the Baltimore area.

As far as the school not allowing the band and cheerleaders to attend the game. I was told it had to do with parking and security. Apparently, Fort Hill was bringing 7 or 8 coach buses which includes their band, cheerleaders, football team, and fans. Curley has a soccer game tomorrow that was scheduled last year for a 4 pm start time. They also have limited parking, maybe 400 parking spots on the entire campus. The school lets out at 2:30 pm and their are concerns about parents getting on campus to pick up their Curley sons which could be a logistical nightmare. The plan if the game was played at night was to park the buses in their parking lot and use the back of the school practice fields for spectator parking. Because of the rain, the school didn't want to use the back fields since they were concerned it might destroy the grounds and ruin the grass. They have Open House in two weeks and the school needs the campus looking it's best in order to recruit 8th grade students to their school. CURLEY had no issues with the band and cheerleaders originally coming, but with the change in time, limited parking, concerns of an overcrowded campus, concerns of buses parking off campus, the school administration felt it could lead to issues regarding parking, safety and a campus not in the position to accommodate that type of crowd. Fort Hill has a band with 125 students. If two parents from the band come to the game, that is another 250 spectators on campus. Fort Hill also indicated that they will travel with a fan base of 1000 spectators to the game. Because Curley has a soccer game the same time as football, kids being picked up after school, limited parking, it would become a logistical nightmare and a safety issue for the number of people parking off campus.

From what I was told, the Curley people are doing their best to make this work for Fort Hill even though Curley doesn't need the game. They are playing the game because Fort Hill needed the game for playoff purposes and Coach Murphy said he would step up and play them and make it work."

In short, Curley isn't used to and has never needed to accommodate anywhere near the amount of spectators and auxiliary personnel that FH brings. MIAA B Conference football games have traditionally been played on Friday afternoon in front of crowds of a few hundred. No MIAA B school has a band and most don't have cheerleaders.

Curley was prepared to accommodate FH's band and cheerleaders for a Thursday night game. At 3:30 with so many more people on campus, the situation changed. There really is no safe place to park buses anywhere near the school.

No one from Cumberland will believe this.

It has to be the state screwing us once again, which is the entire reason for the state of Maryland to have government - screwing Cumberland.

Then why not play at FH? It was offered for them to come here and play and FH would pay for the trip. But Curley said no! Wonder why?

Then why not play at FH? It was offered for them to come here and play and FH would pay for the trip. But Curley said no! Wonder why?

Probably because most players/coaches would prefer not to drive 3 hours when they could get a home game, especially when you were locked into that being your bye week until a couple days before the season started. Curley coaches and players already had plans for the weekend, which is why the game was on Thursday to begin with.

It's not really that hard to understand. A free road trip is still a road trip, and no coach likes road trips. FH has a great atmosphere and everything but no player would pick that over a home game. FH was willing to travel so the game happened.

If it wasn't for the impending hurricane Curley would have been more than capable of hosting all the FH fans, band and cheerleaders. FH played at Silver Oak last year and the Curley Bowl with all its problems is still 100x better than the rec field where you played SOA.

Reactions: 34SupaPowuh
No one from Cumberland will believe this.

It has to be the state screwing us once again, which is the entire reason for the state of Maryland to have government - screwing Cumberland.

These posts are hilarious... They actually inspired me to create a login and reply... For your ignorance, I applaud and thank you.

Here's the deal: Like Mr Helmick, I grew up in Cumberland, played FH football and lived in Baltimore (I even visited Lucy Luciano's a few times searchinh for the Seminole Guru to buy him a beverage and chat up some Sports)... More specifically, I lived in East Baltimore (5 minutes up Belair Road from Curley in a subdistrict named Overlea)... And If you have ever visited Sinclair Lane & Erdman Avenue, you would realize the logistical Nightmare of accommodating the FHHS Circus... Bottom line, Curley is barely capable of hosting the FHHS Parade during a Saturday Day in perfect conditions, let alone at night during a weekday when they are flooded.

And I'm not knocking Curley, it's just a different world down there... They need to rent Stadium lights to play at night... They have major Security concerns (google crime stats in that neighborhood, there is no reason to be there after dark unless you are buying/selling or robbing).. The logistics of parking and commuting these Buses full of kids thru Rush Hour Traffic with both a Football and Soccer game sheduled at Curley is laughable.

And please understand that I am not criticizing Coach Murphy or his program... He is doing a tremendous favor to FHHS by even attempting to schedule this game after the Avalon cancellation... Coach Murphy was only trying to help Coach Appel with the limited resources available to him and doesn't need the hassle associated with any of this...

The State of Maryland has nothing to do with these issues.. Curley is funded like Bishop Walsh, it's a private school with low enrollment... Personally, I am astonished that they an still manage to keep their doors open considering the lack of financial support they recieve...They cannot afford to risk the destruction of their practice fields just to accommodate these traditions... It's not gonna happen. .. And even if FHHS offered to pay for their travel expenses to come up here, they do not travel... period... It's not worth the liability.

I commend Coach Murphy and his program for their success given the amount of obstacles they must face daily and I thank him for trying to help out a fellow Big33 Coach in pinch... This would be an excellent test for both teams if they can somehow manage to make it happen.

Because they don't travel period.... And Coach Murphy was trying to do a favor by scheduling the game in the first place, so why would he welcome the additional expenses, hassles and liability to travel 5 hours round trip on a weekday? Curley doesn't need this game... Especially not this year.

I know who you are. Weren't you the manager at Overlea during that FH playoff drubbing? LOL
I think you did buy me a drink at Little Italy Joe's. Maybe 2 or 3.

Is it raining on Erdman now? Weather reports please.

It all makes sense why they don't want the band and cheerleaders to come. Which is more than I could say for the goofy "they didn't want them to perform on the field" crap thrown around earlier.

I am not sure who thought the band would play on the field considering field conditions. The problem is you won't stop the faithful from going to the game. Suggestions were floated to offload the buses and park away from the field. Which is a reasonable request. Now, you will have a larger nightmare from droves of cars. Seemed reasonable to me. I never believed there was some conspiracy theory but the lack of working with FH to accommodate the onslaught of people that is surely going to attend. Especially since the band and cheerleaders were forbidden.

Cars can park on the street near the school. You can't do that with buses. There's no where near Curley to park the buses that I'd want to leave any vehicle. A visiting soccer team had $18,000 in personal items stolen from an unattended bus left in a similar situation a couple years ago.

Band competition at Warren County Saturday also cancelled. Are they going to make up the game?

These posts are hilarious... They actually inspired me to create a login and reply... For your ignorance, I applaud and thank you.

Here's the deal: Like Mr Helmick, I grew up in Cumberland, played FH football and lived in Baltimore (I even visited Lucy Luciano's a few times searchinh for the Seminole Guru to buy him a beverage and chat up some Sports)... More specifically, I lived in East Baltimore (5 minutes up Belair Road from Curley in a subdistrict named Overlea)... And If you have ever visited Sinclair Lane & Erdman Avenue, you would realize the logistical Nightmare of accommodating the FHHS Circus... Bottom line, Curley is barely capable of hosting the FHHS Parade during a Saturday Day in perfect conditions, let alone at night during a weekday when they are flooded.

And I'm not knocking Curley, it's just a different world down there... They need to rent Stadium lights to play at night... They have major Security concerns (google crime stats in that neighborhood, there is no reason to be there after dark unless you are buying/selling or robbing).. The logistics of parking and commuting these Buses full of kids thru Rush Hour Traffic with both a Football and Soccer game sheduled at Curley is laughable.

And please understand that I am not criticizing Coach Murphy or his program... He is doing a tremendous favor to FHHS by even attempting to schedule this game after the Avalon cancellation... Coach Murphy was only trying to help Coach Appel with the limited resources available to him and doesn't need the hassle associated with any of this...

The State of Maryland has nothing to do with these issues.. Curley is funded like Bishop Walsh, it's a private school with low enrollment... Personally, I am astonished that they an still manage to keep their doors open considering the lack of financial support they recieve...They cannot afford to risk the destruction of their practice fields just to accommodate these traditions... It's not gonna happen. .. And even if FHHS offered to pay for their travel expenses to come up here, they do not travel... period... It's not worth the liability.

I commend Coach Murphy and his program for their success given the amount of obstacles they must face daily and I thank him for trying to help out a fellow Big33 Coach in pinch... This would be an excellent test for both teams if they can somehow manage to make it happen.
Wow! Thanks for perfectly fitting the description of the people I'm talking about. I didn't think anyone would actually provide an example on this very thread, but you sure did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT