ADVERTISEMENT

FH 35 Catoctin 0 2nd qtr

The starters have been out since about 9 minutes left in the third quarter...10 ball carriers thus far, and three different players have done PATs.

The one thing that Fort Hill does very well that most high school teams can't do well is play solid defense. That is what puts them head and shoulders above almost every 1A team in MD. As well as many other teams not in 1A. They have given up 20+ points in the regular season only 11 times in the last 6 years. And they won almost each of those 11 times. When you can do that in high school you will be dominant. Good luck to them the rest of the way.

The FH starting defense has now posted shut outs in four straight games. Their bench has given up two big plays for touchdowns in the 4th quarter with a running clock that pretty much represent more than half the other teams total yardage. So what I am about to say is really not important, just an observation that isn't about FH football at all, but about sportsmanship at any level with any team...

It's considered good sportsmanship to put your subs in the game when the score is out of hand else be called out for running up the score. Today's society is very easily offended. But I am of the opinion that good sportsmanship is learned in both victory and defeat. So why does the losing team not put their subs in? The game is over, why not let other kids get a chance? It's kind of like trying to take a knee to run out the clock and the other team is going to use all their time outs. Guess my point is, if it is considered bad sportsmanship to leave starters in late in a game that is already decided then the same applies to the team that is losing. Then again, I never really understand society.

Last edited:
All true but there's an issue that's often overlooked. While the Fort Hill starters don't post big numbers, the back ups get more game time experience. I'd bet that the FH subs get more playing time than the subs get on any other three teams in the area put together, A good example is the 10 separate backs who carried the ball the last four or five weeks. Not to pick on Mt. Ridge but they had a back that ran for a gazillion yards this year. How many touches did their number twos get? Next year, they'll be scratching their heads wondering who their primary ball carrier is going to be and how he is going to stand up to their opponents.

As a rule, anytime a team is playing their twos against the other teams' ones, you are increasing the talent gap between the two schools for next year. Todd has FH years ahead of any team in the area.

Keeping the first team in when getting blown out makes no sense. I wondered the same thing.

The FH starting defense has now posted shut outs in four straight games. Their bench has given up two big plays for touchdowns in the 4th quarter with a running clock that pretty much represent more than half the other teams total yardage. So what I am about to say is really not important, just an observation that isn't about FH football at all, but about sportsmanship at any level with any team...

It's considered good sportsmanship to put your subs in the game when the score is out of hand else be called out for running up the score. Today's society is very easily offended. But I am of the opinion that good sportsmanship is learned in both victory and defeat. So why does the losing team not put their subs in? The game is over, why not let other kids get a chance? It's kind of like trying to take a knee to run out the clock and the other team is going to use all their time outs. Guess my point is, if it is considered bad sportsmanship to leave starters in late in a game that is already decided then the same applies to the team that is losing. Then again, I never really understand society.
You are very right, I'm always worried a starter will get hurt when he didn't need to be in there. It's also so important for the guys who don't start and count on a blowout to get in there and get some time. As we all know those guys are the heart and soul of a team and they are very vital members of the team, they deserve a chance to play every second they can.
You bring up a good point about the other team. Catoctin's qb was nothing short of heroic the whole game, and yet they had him in there very late...what's the point you are making by doing that instead of letting his backup get playing time...it was over at halftime, give somebody else a chance!

Reactions: money316
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT