ADVERTISEMENT

Brunswick

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
Brunswick won 75-3 last week and their coach was suspended from coaching for one week which was this week against Walkersville. I also read earlier in the year they won 35-0 against Tuscarora and he had to apologize for late scoring

I've heard the same. Utterly disgraceful. The rule in Frederick County needs to be once a team is winning by 42 the game is over. Literally.

Someone got there feelings hurt or didnt get to participate. Oh no!

Literally the pu$$ification of sports. If the starters were in the entire game and still scoring (75) then that's kinda $hitty. But I am sure the reserves got plenty of playing time. How do you tell those kids, who bust their a$$ all summer long and into the fall, to just lay down... This world is becoming too soft. Maybe I am just old school. 🤷‍♂️

I swear. I’m always amazed at how sissified everyone has become. I guess I’ve really gotten old. I don’t understand the way America thinks anymore.

Brunswick won 75-3 last week and their coach was suspended from coaching for one week which was this week against Walkersville. I also read earlier in the year they won 35-0 against Tuscarora and he had to apologize for late scoring
Just as amazing is the fact that the opponent was Clear Spring. Why have they not merged with Hancock as the county has suggested?...For a host of reasons not just football. Go figure.

Maryland high school football is bad! Probably the worst it has even been. Allegany, Mountain Ridge, and Fort Hill are three of the best teams in the state (regardless of class) and it isn't even close in most cases.

Frederick and Washington county football has gotten real bad.

Reactions: TDHelmick
Maryland high school football is bad! Probably the worst it has even been. Allegany, Mountain Ridge, and Fort Hill are three of the best teams in the state (regardless of class) and it isn't even close in most cases.

“Up front, they dominated the line of scrimmage,” Mountain Ridge head coach Ryan Patterson said. “Both sides of the ball, particularly in the first half. They were at a higher emotional level than we were, and for that I will take full responsibility.

“From here on out I can promise you I will have our kids ready to go emotionally. I don’t care if we’re playing Fort Hill, I don’t care if it’s Northern next week, anybody in between.

“Trust me, we’re going to be at a higher emotional level or I’m going to be fired because I’m going to do whatever it takes to get that done.”

Your thoughts on these statements? Specifically why would they not be at a high emotional level, and if they aren't then why would that be the coaches fault? I guess also it seems like if I'm his employer and I hear these statements I'm thinking what is he thinking of doing that is outside the acceptable coaching practices that is an act resulting in termination.

Last edited:
Never been a fan of getting quotes from coaches (or players) directly after a game. Emotions are still running to high. I know Patterson was screaming at his players before they went into the locker room at the half. You can say MR played a bit better in the second half though I think it was more FH shooting themselves in the foot with penalties.

That being said, a friend of mine's husband is a teacher who has Miner player in one of his classes. He asked the player a couple of weeks ago if they had a chance against FH this year. Kid flat out said No.

“Up front, they dominated the line of scrimmage,” Mountain Ridge head coach Ryan Patterson said. “Both sides of the ball, particularly in the first half. They were at a higher emotional level than we were, and for that I will take full responsibility.

“From here on out I can promise you I will have our kids ready to go emotionally. I don’t care if we’re playing Fort Hill, I don’t care if it’s Northern next week, anybody in between.

“Trust me, we’re going to be at a higher emotional level or I’m going to be fired because I’m going to do whatever it takes to get that done.”

Your thoughts on these statements? Specifically why would they not be at a high emotional level, and if they aren't then why would that be the coaches fault? I guess also it seems like if I'm his employer and I hear these statements I'm thinking what is he thinking of doing that is outside the acceptable coaching practices that is an act resulting in termination.

Out of curiosity what did you think of Patterson saying he takes the blame for his team not being emotionally ready for the game, and that it wouldn't happen again even if it means getting fired. First of all why would you think the team wouldn't be emotionally prepared, and second what do you think of him saying he'd do something that could get him fired?
Maybe quote taken a little out of context. These local kids play with a certain level of intensity especially when playing against each other. Maybe his team may not have reached that level last weekend and said a few things he should have saved for his team only. What's the old saying, everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face. Well I think FH punched Ridge in the face, and Ridge got really staggered, and took some time to regroup.

Last edited:
4inarowtopthat, your quote," I guess also it seems like if I'm his employer and I hear these statements I'm thinking what is he thinking of doing that is outside the acceptable coaching practices that is an act resulting in termination."

Seems like you are just trying to sir up controversy. It's easy to understand his emotion after such a game. I am sure ACPS is not thinking any such thing. It's not out of the question that parents and kids have become softer as a whole over time due to this "you hurt my feelings” society driven by social media and victim/identity politics. He is just giving a warning to the the kids to be prepared to have their heart tested, feelings hurt and maybe a little extra conditioning. Overall, it was just a coach taking personal responsibility and challenging his team to step it up.

Last edited:

Out of curiosity what did you think of Patterson saying he takes the blame for his team not being emotionally ready for the game, and that it wouldn't happen again even if it means getting fired. First of all why would you think the team wouldn't be emotionally prepared, and second what do you think of him saying he'd do something that could get him fired?
I agree with a lot of what has already been said in response to this statement. I think that this interview is not the norm in how Coach Patterson interacts with media and talks about his team. I wouldn't want to be interviewed as soon as I got my ass handed to me by a local rival. I understand that it is part of the job, but we aren't talking about college football, or the pros here.

Coach Patterson is very hard on himself. It is what makes him a winner. Results can't be ignored. Even with the loss to Fort Hill, the Mountain Ridge Miners have won 31 of their last 36 games, but it can't be ignored that Fort Hill is the only team that they have lost to in the past four years. The last loss to a team other than Fort Hill was Keyser on 11/1/2019.

Coach also knows that his team this year isn't the same team as the past two years. He has three games that he has to prepare his team for to end the season. Then comes the playoffs. At this moment, I would be shocked if two Allegany County teams aren't playing for the Championship in Annapolis for the third straight season, there just isn't anyone else in 1A right now.

I will respectfully disagree that Frederick and Washington County have "gotten real bad." One, Washington County was never very good in the first place and it starts at their youth levels which are well below those of Frederick and Allegany. Two, there are still good teams in Frederick County; however, I would agree that the overall level of the county has decreased and the gap between the top and bottom has widened, but I wouldn't say it's at the very bad level......yet. Frederick County just purchased land for a 4th high school in the eastern part of the county which will sit between Linganore, Oakdale, and Urbana. My concern for football is that they will pull from all 3 schools which will further water things down, but growth in that part of the county is completely out of control so it may not have as much of an effect as I think.

I also think this is a testament to just how good football in Allegany County is. Fort Hill going to VA and smacking Briar Woods, Mountain Ridge handling the 3rd best team in Frederick County on the road, these are impressive wins. The rest of the state needs to catch up and that's not really a bad thing. Hopefully the Allegany schools will continue to come to Frederick and Washington Counties (aka hopefully both counties will stop chickening out) because it's good for the game.

I will respectfully disagree that Frederick and Washington County have "gotten real bad." One, Washington County was never very good in the first place and it starts at their youth levels which are well below those of Frederick and Allegany. Two, there are still good teams in Frederick County; however, I would agree that the overall level of the county has decreased and the gap between the top and bottom has widened, but I wouldn't say it's at the very bad level......yet. Frederick County just purchased land for a 4th high school in the eastern part of the county which will sit between Linganore, Oakdale, and Urbana. My concern for football is that they will pull from all 3 schools which will further water things down, but growth in that part of the county is completely out of control so it may not have as much of an effect as I think.

I also think this is a testament to just how good football in Allegany County is. Fort Hill going to VA and smacking Briar Woods, Mountain Ridge handling the 3rd best team in Frederick County on the road, these are impressive wins. The rest of the state needs to catch up and that's not really a bad thing. Hopefully the Allegany schools will continue to come to Frederick and Washington Counties (aka hopefully both counties will stop chickening out) because it's good for the game.
Well said

Reactions: ravemwp

Nicely put.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT