ADVERTISEMENT

Dunbar vs. Catoctin thoughts?

What’s people’s thoughts on the game? Score predictions?
Without a home field advantage, playing a cranky Dunbar team that lost in the semis last year, I don't think Catoctin has much of a chance. On the other hand, if they are running and it doesn't work they can pass. They won't quit and they won't take timeouts into the locker room or save them for a rainy day(yes, that was a jab at the FH coaching staff).
They have a well balanced team with good size and some speed. The problem is Dunbar always has balance, always has size, and always has speed. They won't lose on any of those things so I think Dunbar wins by at least two touchdowns.

Without a home field advantage, playing a cranky Dunbar team that lost in the semis last year, I don't think Catoctin has much of a chance. On the other hand, if they are running and it doesn't work they can pass. They won't quit and they won't take timeouts into the locker room or save them for a rainy day(yes, that was a jab at the FH coaching staff).
They have a well balanced team with good size and some speed. The problem is Dunbar always has balance, always has size, and always has speed. They won't lose on any of those things so I think Dunbar wins by at least two touchdowns.
It will be interesting. Is there a radio station channel we can listen to to hear the game coverage do you know?

It will be interesting. Is there a radio station channel we can listen to to hear the game coverage do you know?
Just my 2 cents worth, if you are a history buff like I, then look no farther then the 2009 (I believe) season when Catoctin in the Semi's defeated a good Dunbar team and went on to win it all.
So similarity in this year with the big Fort Hill win in semi's and we'll see what happens later today.
Catoctin can run on Dunbar and has the defense to stop the Poets both on the ground and in the air.
That's a little more than 2 cents, but however it come out...it should be a good game... :)

Just my 2 cents worth, if you are a history buff like I, then look no farther then the 2009 (I believe) season when Catoctin in the Semi's defeated a good Dunbar team and went on to win it all.
So similarity in this year with the big Fort Hill win in semi's and we'll see what happens later today.
Catoctin can run on Dunbar and has the defense to stop the Poets both on the ground and in the air.
That's a little more than 2 cents, but however it come out...it should be a good game... :)
Yes you nailed it!! We will see here in about a hour how it’s going to shape up!

I think the key is Catoctin's offensive line. Dunbar will stack the box to stop #28 and will try to make the QB beat them. Dunbar will have a much better secondary than FH and make it that much more difficult to throw.

cool1450amwthu

Dunbar fumbles first play of the game. Catoctin mixing up plays very nicely field goal 3-0

Dunbar with a ten yard punt - okay this is eerily familiar!

Catoctin 1 play touchdown, dunbar roughing kicker, two point successful 11-0

Last edited:
Reactions: CumberlandHSFB

You were saying?

This would have been the year for FH to beat Dunbar.... shame that Catoctin was this good this year.

Dunbar has a lot of freshman and sophomore‘s playing this year. Let’s just give start giving teams credit. Catoctin put it on everybody. There are no give me rings!!

Dunbar has a lot of freshman and sophomore‘s playing this year. Let’s just give start giving teams credit. Catoctin put it on everybody. There are no give me rings!!

Ugh... three major penalties by Dunbar in a row? This doesn't look like any Dunbar team I ever saw. The last FH loss to that Dunbar bar team.... well, that FH team would beat this Dunbar team by a gazillion points.

Ugh... Dunbar just scored. Thought it was going to turn out like ugh... well, you know. Maybe not.

Dunbar is only starting four seniors on each side of the ball. Four sophomores on defense

Ugh... three major penalties by Dunbar in a row? This doesn't look like any Dunbar team I ever saw. The last FH loss to that Dunbar bar team.... well, that FH team would beat this Dunbar team by a gazillion points.

Ugh... Dunbar just scored. Thought it was going to turn out like ugh... well, you know. Maybe not.
Idk after that long run they had.. they will be in the end zone again.. this is crazy

Does look like the worst Dunbar team ever.
6 turnovers in one half? what is this football follies?

Maybe Appel was right, those dam young vibrant fans are the difference.

Well this coach doesn't get there often but when he does he knows how to prepare for the big game! Enjoy it Catoctin, in 2029 you'll be back here again if history is any indicator.

Reactions: Lagmeister
A total of 11 turnovers in a game and a half, against two of the better teams in 1A. Catoctin kids are ball hawks!

Thanks, I knew that the Poets used seniors on their offense, WR are jrs. My take on Dunbar so far is that they are very undisciplined. This is not what I expected from a Poet team.

Reactions: Lagmeister
One thing for sure.... there ain't no FH number of fans at this game.
Is it possible Dunbar has never been very good and 1A is as bad as a lot argue? Can FH coaches learn anything from watching Catoctin? You can run the ball even if you run the spread. A pass here and there opens up the running game. Putting pressure on a Dunbar qb makes a huge difference. Anybody think it's possible for FH to finally learn they have to make changes to beat Dunbar?

Reactions: Harleydeuce
Is it possible Dunbar has never been very good and 1A is as bad as a lot argue? Can FH coaches learn anything from watching Catoctin? You can run the ball even if you run the spread. A pass here and there opens up the running game. Putting pressure on a Dunbar qb makes a huge difference. Anybody think it's possible for FH to finally learn they have to make changes to beat Dunbar?

Catoctin can pass really well. Learn that. One thing though, Catoctin only needed 6 yards and they tried a long difficult pass into the end zone. Missed the field goal. Hope it doen't bite them in the ass.

1450amwthu has announcers that are pretty much as horrible as fh's. One of them actually said "he's at the 40, the 45, the 50, the 55...yep, he said that. they don't know who has the ball. they don't know what down it is....where do they find these guys??

1450amwthu has announcers that are pretty much as horrible as fh's. One of them actually said "he's at the 40, the 45, the 50, the 55...yep, he said that. they don't know who has the ball. they don't know what down it is....where do they find these guys??

They are other guys who made a living doing other things. I kind of enjoy the down-home-players jibbering.

Oh, FH could have beaten Dunbar. They damn sure could have run on them, even with Dunbar's 6 down lineman they used in the second half. What's in the Catoctin water? Must be that military mutant thing goin' on up there.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
And... Dunbar runs a class program. Nothin' chippy during the game. And the line hand-shakes looked real classy.

Oh... and Catoctin coach, Doug Williams, thanked Jesus and then said he was along for the ride. Thanked everyone else and said it was their victory. A good clip to pass along.

Last edited:
Quit trying to take away from what Catoctin did this year with all the "FH is the worst they've been in awhile" "dunbar is down", its ridiculous. Isn't it possible that Catoctin was just that good this year? The one game they lost this season was to a pretty good team in Walkersville and they shot themselves in the foot several times and cost themselves that game. They absolutely dominated the playoffs this season. Has anyone ever smacked FH and Dunbar around like this is the same season? Not likely. They are hands down the best 1a team in the state, obviously, and I'm sure they could've made a run at 2a this year as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT