ADVERTISEMENT

Dunbar vs. Catoctin thoughts?

Facts! “FH will beat Catoctin by 3 or 4 TD’s”, “Dunbar by 2 TD’s”........how’d that work out for ya??? 15 of 17 state titles between them and FH and Dunbar were dismantled by a combined score of 71-8 in successive weeks. Yeah, it may not happen often, but Catoctin was THAT good this year. It’s difficult for far too many on this board to accept defeat graciously. Have some humble pie and chill out! Congrats Catoctin! You boys rocked it and left zero doubt who the best team in 1A was this year!

The difference could have been a bit more if extra points and the FG would have been made.

I wasn’t at the game, and I certainly don’t fault the kicker. I’ve always said it is unfair to a team that has a good kicker when the championship game is played on a collegiate field. Why? High school goalposts are six feet wider than college goalposts, and that six feet can be a world of difference to a kicker.

They are not collegiate kickers and they should not be treated as such, especially in a high school championship game.

Congrats to Catoctin!

Reactions: steelersrule10
Quit trying to take away from what Catoctin did this year with all the "FH is the worst they've been in awhile" "dunbar is down", its ridiculous. Isn't it possible that Catoctin was just that good this year? The one game they lost this season was to a pretty good team in Walkersville and they shot themselves in the foot several times and cost themselves that game. They absolutely dominated the playoffs this season. Has anyone ever smacked FH and Dunbar around like this is the same season? Not likely. They are hands down the best 1a team in the state, obviously, and I'm sure they could've made a run at 2a this year as well.
Not throwing shade towards Catoctin they were great and deserve credit. However, this was undeniably the worst FH team in ten years. I dont know if that equates to trying to discredit Catoctin, but it's kinda the truth. Another Catoctin praise: is it a wonder what motivation can do for young men? Hanging that score up gave the guys who were involved last year something to think about, and dammit they certainly executed their goal.

Quit trying to take away from what Catoctin did this year with all the "FH is the worst they've been in awhile" "dunbar is down", its ridiculous. Isn't it possible that Catoctin was just that good this year? The one game they lost this season was to a pretty good team in Walkersville and they shot themselves in the foot several times and cost themselves that game. They absolutely dominated the playoffs this season. Has anyone ever smacked FH and Dunbar around like this is the same season? Not likely. They are hands down the best 1a team in the state, obviously, and I'm sure they could've made a run at 2a this year as well.

Catoctin is the real deal. A rural 1A school that can't pull from Baltimore like Dunbar and doesn't sit in a city with three high schools having movin' middle-schoolers and generational shifts like FH. When I saw the coach's interview I said to myself, "Gimme dat coach."

Last edited:
Not throwing shade towards Catoctin they were great and deserve credit. However, this was undeniably the worst FH team in ten years. I dont know if that equates to trying to discredit Catoctin, but it's kinda the truth. Another Catoctin praise: is it a wonder what motivation can do for young men? Hanging that score up gave the guys who were involved last year something to think about, and dammit they certainly executed their goal.

The Catoctin quarterback was almost Tom-Brady-esque in some of his passes. Catoctin was... let me think... almost a high school version of the Patriots in how they took apart FH and then Dunbar.

Facts! “FH will beat Catoctin by 3 or 4 TD’s”, “Dunbar by 2 TD’s”........how’d that work out for ya??? 15 of 17 state titles between them and FH and Dunbar were dismantled by a combined score of 71-8 in successive weeks. Yeah, it may not happen often, but Catoctin was THAT good this year. It’s difficult for far too many on this board to accept defeat graciously. Have some humble pie and chill out! Congrats Catoctin! You boys rocked it and left zero doubt who the best team in 1A was this year!

Hey! I thought FH would win handily. But after watching the game I was certain that FH knew instantly they couldn't win. Dunbar fought back better, credit to their program. But Catoctin was the real deal.

Despite my earlier prediction I am going to say Catoctin has to be considered one of the greatest 1A state champions ever. I completely agree with you, no excuses from the losing teams matters. You beat two perennial state champions back to back and blew them both out. It would be nice to see you guys continue this and not fade away for years at a time. I'm being serious, the only way 1A is taken seriously is if more teams show the kind of year the Cougars did, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

And... Dunbar runs a class program. Nothin' chippy during the game. And the line hand-shakes looked real classy.

Oh... and Catoctin coach, Doug Williams, thanked Jesus and then said he was along for the ride. Thanked everyone else and said it was their victory. A good clip to pass along.
I gotcha lag, no right where you are going with that, and I couldn't agree more!

This would have been the year for FH to beat Dunbar.... shame that Catoctin was this good this year.
I don't think its a shame as i know you don't either. My hats off to catoctin two big wins state champs congrats boys you earned it

Last week i was at the game in thurmont what i saw was a quick physical catoctin team that simply wanted it more

I know the QB and #28 return, but how many others?
Looks like roughly 6 return on both sides of the ball. 2 linemen, the others skill positions on offense. A good nucleus in addition to QB and #28.

Last edited:
Dunbar also won the City JV championship with a 10-1 record. Also look for Brunswick to be a strong contender next year. 1A may finally field some nice competition.

Catoctin still has better line play than Dunbar or fort hill by a wide margin

I agree 100%. On the high school level I always look at line size because that usually determines who wins and Catoctin's line was really good. Not only did they have size but they were also athletic on both sides of the ball.

Congrats to Catoctin. They were the best team in 1A and would have competed in 2A this year. Only loss was to Walkersville in OT. Walkersville lost to eventual State Champs Middletown in OT. Catoctin was on par with those two schools in 2019. Special season for the Cougars.

The beauty of the FH program is they are in the mix every year. Same goes for Dunbar. Quality programs dominate high school football. Look at the winners this year: Damascus, Wise and Middletown. These teams are in the mix year in and year out. Catoctin not in that class yet but their coach has shown he is a winner when he has the talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT