ADVERTISEMENT

Allegany vs Ridge week.

Alco 22-21

Over the past few years alco has played ridge tight in the first half’s before ridge pulled away but those were due to talent on ridges side and lack of depth and injuries on Alcos side. Alco is going to be the healthiest they’ve been and ridge seems to be very one dimensional this year

I would be very surprised if it's not a close game. Toss up. Maybe even slight edge to Alco if I was forced to make pick.

One team has an advantage running the ball, the other throwing the ball. Says Capt Obvious. Looking forward to seeing it play out.

Patterson does not take a back seat at QB to any of his previous two year predecessors. That says a lot. Alco gets a great push with their OL and has 4-5 ball carriers to chose from.

Reactions: ravemwp
The Miners do not have to have the same talent as the Cumberland teams to beat them, they only need to be close. Both city schools are 1 dimentional. The Miners have shown that they can take away the run game. Throw in the fact that they are well coached defensively and have coaches that mix up the play calls with a quarterback that can execute a solid run and screen game. It looks to be too much for Alco.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
Looks like most are going with Ridge, which is understandable they are a good team and Alco isn’t relevant until they beat a good team which they haven’t done in years. Anybody remember the guy that went by wegot8 or something like that. He only posted when FH lost or Alco was doing good which hasn’t happened in a long time. Maybe he will post on here again soon if Alco ever beats a good team. I think it’s going happen.

I do hope Alco wins. I forgot all about that guy. He was really but hurt by Fort Hill winning all the time. 😂

Reactions: Jailerman
Interesting thought for tonight. Does hansel keep his team on the bus until kickoff like he does at homecoming to “keep them out of that environment”? Tonight’s crowd and big game feel should rival that of homecoming

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Interesting thought for tonight. Does hansel keep his team on the bus until kickoff like he does at homecoming to “keep them out of that environment”? Tonight’s crowd and big game feel should rival that of homecoming
I've always thought when a coach does something out of the ordinary it sends a message to his players, and not a good one.
I remember a playoff game at Cambridge South Dorchester in Chaney's first year and the crowd was phenomenal after a 6 hour ride to get there. I remember thinking it really felt like another Homecoming. Chaney brings the team out and all the way the crowd is going nuts and he walks them in, slowly, like a funeral march. You could hear people saying "what are they doing, shouldn't they be running, aren't they fired up". It may not have had any impact but it sure seemed like FH came out flat and it obviously didn't do them any favors.

That and s
I've always thought when a coach does something out of the ordinary it sends a message to his players, and not a good one.
I remember a playoff game at Cambridge South Dorchester in Chaney's first year and the crowd was phenomenal after a 6 hour ride to get there. I remember thinking it really felt like another Homecoming. Chaney brings the team out and all the way the crowd is going nuts and he walks them in, slowly, like a funeral march. You could hear people saying "what are they doing, shouldn't they be running, aren't they fired up". It may not have had any impact but it sure seemed like FH came out flat and it obviously didn't do them any favors.
Skeeter Nichols didn’t help us either

Alco intercepts Ridge in the end zone to stop a drive.

Like I said, good game!

The announcers on 106.7 are horrible. I don't just mean they are homers to the point where it's nauseating but they are about as clueless as the FH guys. How could there be this many incompetent radio announcers? Apparently if a ref is spotting the football and taking more time than the announcers think he should they think that means it's a penalty...I've never heard of some of the crap they are saying.

The announcers on 106.7 are horrible. I don't just mean they are homers to the point where it's nauseating but they are about as clueless as the FH guys. How could there be this many incompetent radio announcers? Apparently if a ref is spotting the football and taking more time than the announcers think he should they think that means it's a penalty...I've never heard of some of the crap they are saying.
Yep…they are really bad!

It will be interesting to hear from some at the game if these teams are as sloppy and careless as they sound. It's like nobody wants to win. This sounds about as bad as the FH game last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwj21
Not sure of the ethical standards for announcers, but the guys on WILLIE are calling officials out by name.

They are homers to the max!

Unfortunately, I could not listen to the whole game on WCBC due to connection issues. Rock, Dr. Z., Garrett, and Mike are the best in the business.
I guess the MR coach knew what his kicker could do but that third down play was a head scratcher. You have a timeout, let your qb get it closer for your kicker. It's hard what to make of this game so can't wait to hear from some of those that were there.

Well I’m, frankly, pleasantly surprised to see Alco hang with MR tonight. I was not expecting this type of game.

I kinda figured it would be even and come down to a late score or turnover. I thought the ridge missed PAT was going to be the game changer but it came down to the late FG. Good game. Lots of flags.

I watched it on Nfhs. It was sloppy.

MR kept shooting them selfs in the foot. The quarterback could have run the ball in when he threw the interception in the end zone.

They also had 1 Td called back.

Lots and lots of untimely penalties and fumbles that ended drives

Alco really tackled well. I can’t count how many times they made the 1 on1 tackle.

They are both really good
Sloppy but great game!

Allegany played bad from start to finish, maybe Mountain Ridge had a lot to do with that. Allegany had 7 penalties just in the second half. The ball gets thrown to Zack Michaels 3 times he catches all 3. Why not throw it up to him more. They need to pound the fullback Brett Patterson more. He had maybe 5 carries in the first half. Alleganys defense should have a player keying on Ridges Patterson. Every play one players job should be to tackle Ridges Patterson on every play. They know what he can do and shouldn’t have allowed him to do what he did. They needed a game plan to defend and contain him. On offense Allegany should have had someone find Patterson and block him. They needed to put pads on him and didn’t. He made a lot of big plays on defense. Mountain Ridge definitely deserved to win without a doubt. I think Alco should be much better than they showed tonight and this year.

Reactions: Dwj21 and Tony54
Allegany played bad from start to finish, maybe Mountain Ridge had a lot to do with that. Allegany had 7 penalties just in the second half. The ball gets thrown to Zack Michaels 3 times he catches all 3. Why not throw it up to him more. They need to pound the fullback Brett Patterson more. He had maybe 5 carries in the first half. Alleganys defense should have a player keying on Ridges Patterson. Every play one players job should be to tackle Ridges Patterson on every play. They know what he can do and shouldn’t have allowed him to do what he did. They needed a game plan to defend and contain him. On offense Allegany should have had someone find Patterson and block him. They needed to put pads on him and didn’t. He made a lot of big plays on defense. Mountain Ridge definitely deserved to win without a doubt. I think Alco should be much better than they showed tonight and this year.
[/QUOTE]
next couple weeks Allegany will blow teams out and not work on what they need to work on then get beat by FH. I don’t know if Hansel has ever beat Ridge or FH that should say enough for him

next couple weeks Allegany will blow teams out and not work on what they need to work on then get beat by FH. I don’t know if Hansel has ever beat Ridge or FH that should say enough for him
[/QUOTE]
He's never beaten either one of them. I asked the question last year how many times do you have to see a guy lose to your local rivals before you just say enough. Overwhelmingly Hansel had the support of every Alco poster. He's a great guy, he's great with the kids, he knows the program, he's making progress, and again this year as many have pointed out he has a lot of returning starters since he always has a lot of underclassmen playing. Let's face it, MR had to be the favorite tonight at home, and Alco almost beat them. Is that enough to keep the support?

Captain Obvious here, lol, but Mountain Ridge has built a pretty quality program up there. And Alco is getting back into the groove. That "next step" seems to elude Coach Hansel a bit but I think if they stay competitive locally its a great motivator. It's really nice to see three really competitive county games...it makes it so much better when a blowout isn't expected going into the game. Helps with fan attendance too.

The only thing I want to take a second to gripe about, is although I wasn't at the game I had several people tell me how crazy backed up the concessions were. Doesn't it seem like the concessions move really slow up there even though they have four windows operating at a time? Am I just being too picky? I love the fat boys pizza, but it sucks to lose a whole quarter in line at these well attended games.

The only thing I want to take a second to gripe about, is although I wasn't at the game I had several people tell me how crazy backed up the concessions were. Doesn't it seem like the concessions move really slow up there even though they have four windows operating at a time? Am I just being too picky? I love the fat boys pizza, but it sucks to lose a whole quarter in line at these well attended games.
The Away concession was only operating one window. Not sure about the home side.

Reactions: FHHSAHS
Both teams kept shooting themselves in the foot. For Ridge they imploded inside the red zone in the 1st half twice. A TD called back, a fumbled pitch, a missed FG, an INT. Score could have been 21-7 at the half. Alco took the grind power game approach and most every drive was ended with a holding call (way too many of those), a sack or a bobbled shotgun snap. I've always said when you are a running team being behind on the chains is not a good situation. When Alco played error free with the ball they drove 80 yards and scored. Little mistakes haunted Alco all night.

Michaels is a very good pass catching TE. Big man. If Alco is going to be a power team 90% of the time they need Michaels at TE, not as a zip back off the ball. I also feel he may be a better fit with his knuckle in the dirt on defense but I dont see practice and this is just a quick armchair read. At the next level his knuckles will be in the dirt. Without his receptions though tonight Alco has no passing game.

Personally I'm not a fan of the shotgun wing-T. It's not the wing-T. When the ball is snapped not every back is moving forward. The quick hitters are lost in the formation shuffle. When Alco is under center they seem more effective running the power game like the 2nd half at Oakdale.

Will Patterson is as good as his 2 QB predecessors, but he does not have the same talent around him that the last 2 seasons offered. Very short on offensive weapons outside of #11. I thought Alco would be able to push the Ridge defense more than it did based on size so give some credit to the Frostburg coaches for getting their defenders into the right places and using quickness.

The MR passing attack is 5 yards at a time. Very short with very quick hitters. Nothing deep to stretch the field. Too bad Fort Hill cant take notes on how to use a short passing game here. The Miners roll the QB most of the time which tells me they are not secure with pass blocking for drop backs while they do all they can to make sure Patterson can burn you with his feet. But it looks like Patterson runs with more success out of read options and draws, not roll outs.

I still believe all 3 county schools are the best in 1A easily. Alco will be 4 TD favorites against the remainder of their schedule. It's extremely light. They went 1-2 against their best comp but what is left before Homecoming will be used as a confidence builder I suppose. The issue would be what happens come playoff time when the level of play elevates again. Ridge has a rough stretch the next couple of weeks with Frederick and FH.

Exciting finish in the Burg tonight. Outside of the opening TD drive for MR both teams best drives were saved for last.

Last edited:
Both teams kept shooting themselves in the foot. For Ridge they imploded inside the red zone in the 1st half twice. A TD called back, a fumbled pitch, a missed FG, an INT. Score could have been 21-7 at the half. Alco took the grind power game approach and most every drive was ended with a holding call (way too many of those), a sack or a bobbled shotgun snap. I've always said when you are a running team being behind on the chains is not a good situation. When Alco played error free with the ball they drove 80 yards and scored. Little mistakes haunted Alco all night.

Michaels is a very good pass catching TE. Big man. If Alco is going to be a power team 90% of the time they need Michaels at TE, not as a zip back off the ball. I also feel he may be a better fit with his knuckle in the dirt on defense but I dont see practice and this is just a quick armchair read. At the next level his knuckles will be in the dirt. Without his receptions though tonight Alco has no passing game.

Personally I'm not a fan of the shotgun wing-T. It's not the wing-T. When the ball is snapped not every back is moving forward. The quick hitters are lost in the formation shuffle. When Alco is under center they seem more effective running the power game like the 2nd half at Oakdale.

Will Patterson is as good as his 2 QB predecessors, but he does not have the same talent around him that the last 2 seasons offered. Very short on offensive weapons outside of #11. I thought Alco would be able to push the Ridge defense more than it did based on size so give some credit to the Frostburg coaches for getting their defenders into the right places and using quickness.

The MR passing attack is 5 yards at a time. Very short with very quick hitters. Nothing deep to stretch the field. Too bad Fort Hill cant take notes on how to use a short passing game here. The Miners roll the QB most of the time which tells me they are not secure with pass blocking for drop backs while they do all they can to make sure Patterson can burn you with his feet. But it looks like Patterson runs with more success out of read options and draws, not roll outs.

I still believe all 3 county schools are the best in 1A easily. Alco will be 4 TD favorites against the remainder of their schedule. It's extremely light. They went 1-2 against their best comp but what is left before Homecoming will be used as a confidence builder I suppose. The issue would be what happens come playoff time when the level of play elevates again. Ridge has a rough stretch the next couple of weeks with Frederick and FH.

Exciting finish in the Burg tonight. Outside of the opening TD drive for MR both teams best drives were saved for last.
I have to agree. A little sloppy, but a good game, and finish as well. My opinion is the game was not well officiated, but at least it wasn't one sided.

My take is that the MR coaching staff does a better job of putting its talent in a position to succeed. I think that Hansel, and his staff do a fine job of coaching his team up, but he doesn't always seem to use some of his talents to their individual strengths. For instance Williams is a good passer, and Alco has some good skill players, but their passing game is so bland, and vanilla. I think if they are going to play out of the shot-gun, they need to use Williams arm to get some of these playmakers the ball in space. I'm not saying that Williams is the best QB in the area, but I do believe he is the best pure passer, and Alco needs to use that skill as an advantage. As for FH, they are just stubborn, and refuses to upgrade their passing game. Sometimes you really need to play to your playmakers strengths. It's the square peg into a round hole theory. While I say this, you can't argue with FH success, here or down state.

Last edited:
My take is that the MR coaching staff does a better job of putting its talent in a position to succeed. I think that Hansel, and his staff do a fine job of coaching his team up, but he doesn't always seem to use some of his talents to their individual strengths. For instance Williams is a good passer, and Alco has some good skill players, but their passing game is so bland, and vanilla. I think if they are going to play out of the shot-gun, they need to use Williams arm to get some of these playmaker the ball in space. I'm not saying that Williams is the best QB in the area, but I do believe he is the best pure passer, and Alco needs to use that skill as an advantage. As for FH, they are just stubborn, and refuses to upgrade their passing game. Sometimes you really need to play to your playmakers strengths. It's the square peg into a round hole theory. While I say this, you can't argue with FH success, here or down state.

This is why Alco won’t beat Ridge. Mountain Ridge has a super star, but overall I think Allegany has the best players. The coaching on the Ridge side is much superior.

This is why Alco won’t beat Ridge. Mountain Ridge has a super star, but overall I think Allegany has the best players. The coaching on the Ridge side is much superior.
I couldn’t agree more. Alco had success when they passed the ball. If I’m not mistaken it was a long pass for a touchdown, or at least it set up a touchdown.
I’m not a big fan of Alco or Ft Hill developing a long throwing game. Ridge does it right, they have a short passing game that keeps the defense on its toes.
The key play for Fort Hill in the state championship game was that they finally threw a swing pass on that last drive that kept them going.
If MR. Has any kind of talent in the future the coaches there will keep them in the game.
I’m hoping that the Fort Hill coaches will copy MR game plan. Fort Hill is loaded with talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT