ADVERTISEMENT

CLASS 1A WEST PLAYOFF PROJECTION

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
With 2 weeks of regular season football left it looks like the 1A West match ups seem fairly set.

Pretty certain Hancock (who is currently the last seed) will opt out of the playoffs.

Southern and Clear Spring won last night. Assuming neither opt out of the post season, they will both draw either Mountain Ridge or Alco in the first round.

If Allegany wins out and beats Fort Hill, they mathematically can take over the top seed. But they would need all their beaten opponents to win out and much of the Fort Hill beaten teams to lose out. It's not mathematically impossible but improbable.

REGIONAL PLAYOFF PROJECTION

1) Fort Hill
8) Hancock

4) Northern Garrett
5) Smithsburg

3) Allegany
6) Southern Garrett

2) Mountain Ridge
7) Clear Spring

Northern will play Smithsburg and then the winner will get Fort Hill.
Mountain Ridge and Alco will get a rematch in the 2nd round. What field the rematch is played on is still wide open.

With 2 weeks of regular season football left it looks like the 1A West match ups seem fairly set.

Pretty certain Hancock (who is currently the last seed) will opt out of the playoffs.

Southern and Clear Spring won last night. Assuming neither opt out of the post season, they will both draw either Mountain Ridge or Alco in the first round.

If Allegany wins out and beats Fort Hill, they mathematically can take over the top seed. But they would need all their beaten opponents to win out and much of the Fort Hill beaten teams to lose out. It's not mathematically impossible but improbable.

REGIONAL PLAYOFF PROJECTION

1) Fort Hill
8) Hancock

4) Northern Garrett
5) Smithsburg

3) Allegany
6) Southern Garrett

2) Mountain Ridge
7) Clear Spring

Northern will play Smithsburg and then the winner will get Fort Hill.
Mountain Ridge and Alco will get a rematch in the 2nd round. What field the rematch is played on is still wide open.

So, i take it 2 teams will come out of each region?
Correct. After the first two rounds of regional play, what's left are 8 teams (2 teams from each region). All those teams get thrown into one big pot and then reseeded.

Speaking from the gut, there are only 4 legit teams with a chance in all of Class 1A this year. Fort Hill, Mountain Ridge, Alco and Havre de Grace. Everything else is gawd horrible. The good news for Fort Hill in this scenario is that they won't have to face any of those teams until the state title game. The first four rounds of the playoffs for FH could be running clocks. That's how bad the remaining competition is.

Mountain Ridge and Alco will have to play each other and then likely Havre de Grace just to get to the title game. So being the overall No. 1 seed is a big advantage. Also a reason why Fort Hill has been very picky about playing a game this coming week. There is nothing to gain from it other than getting kids a game to play (which is still a legit reason).

Havre de Grace having to take a covid forfeit last week stings.

All this has to sting former FHHS coach Todd Apple just a bit. Not only would he have been staring down another championship but probably on the verge of the school's most wins by this point. Ouch.

I think people thought there would be a harder transition but he seems all but forgotten. It'll be a big blow to his legacy watching the new coach get a title so soon. Hopefully he resurfaces with success wherever he is.

All this has to sting former FHHS coach Todd Apple just a bit. Not only would he have been staring down another championship but probably on the verge of the school's most wins by this point. Ouch.

I think people thought there would be a harder transition but he seems all but forgotten. It'll be a big blow to his legacy watching the new coach get a title so soon. Hopefully he resurfaces with success wherever he is.
Wow! Have you already awarded FH the state championship?

Must not know the guy.

I’ve seen some very very very interesting takes on here and this is certainly one of them.

Reactions: Waggle Pass

Two posts in three and half years? Maybe you should stay in hibernation after a post like that. The current coach seems to have learned a lot over the years. I wonder from who?

as a guy that grew up on the other side of town and grew up HATING FH until some Family members went there and then all of my kids as well, I will admit that Todd Appel is The Best Coach to Ever Walk The Sidelines as Head Coach of a Cumberland School.

1 Todd Appel
2 Jim Refosco
3 Bill Hahn
4 Jack Gilmore
5 Mike Calhoun
6 Charlie Lattimer

as a guy that grew up on the other side of town and grew up HATING FH until some Family members went there and then all of my kids as well, I will admit that Todd Appel is The Best Coach to Ever Walk The Sidelines as Head Coach of a Cumberland School.

1 Todd Appel
2 Jim Refosco
3 Bill Hahn
4 Jack Gilmore
5 Mike Calhoun
6 Charlie Lattimer

Out of curiously... how many coaches has Fort Hill had in it's history? Does anyone know?

Bobby Cavanaugh, John Long, Mel Henry, Bill Hahn, Charlie Lattimer, Jim Chaney, Dick Bittner, Mike Calhoun, Barry Lattimer, Todd Apple, and Zack Alkire.

Mike Calhoun was undoubtably the very worst coach ever at ft hill. I went to school during those years and Half of the guys who played as freshman and sophomore’s would not play for him at the varsity level it was a crying shame
122-31 .797 Win Percentage.
Won 1 Title in 2A But Had 5 Trips To State Championship Game and a Total of 8 State Semi-Finals in 13 Seasons.
10-3 in Homecoming Games vs Allegany when they were Actually Good!!
Before FH He was 25-15 in 4 Years Back When Keyser WAS BAD... He was 2-2 vs Fort Hill in Those Seasons.
The years after he left Keyser to go to FH
Keyser went 6-4, 4-6, 3-7, 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, 6-4, 5-5
So He Won 25 Games in 4 Years
it took Keyser 8 Years to get 25 Wins After He Left.
He also brought most of the Staff on that ended up being there for a long time and stayed most of the years with Appel, it was The Best Coaching Staff in The Area Hands Down.

So the new playoff system gives everyone a participation trophy. Dunbar and Fort Hill can both put up banners with an asterisk

Won 1 Title in 2A But Had 5 Trips To State Championship Game and a Total of 8 State Semi-Finals in 13 Seasons.
Before FH He was 25-15 in 4 Years Back When Keyser WAS BAD... He was 2-2 vs Fort Hill in Those Seasons.
He also brought most of the Staff on that ended up being there for a long time and stayed most of the years with Appel, it was The Best Coaching Staff in The Area Hands Down.
i’m not sure if you’re talking about Mike Calhoun. He coached at Fort Hill for five years with a record of 27 wins and 22 losses. Hands-down the worst winning percentage in Fort Hill history.

i’m not sure if you’re talking about Mike Calhoun. He coached at Fort Hill for five years with a record of 27 wins and 22 losses. Hands-down the worst winning percentage in Fort Hill history.
Not sure where you are getting your info, but you are wrong.

Calhoun coached at FH for 13 years. He had 122 wins, including the ‘’97 state 2A state championship.

I believe you are referring to Jim Chaney. His record over five years was something like 27-23.

Last edited:

Calhoun coached at FH for 13 years. He had 122 wins, including the ‘’97 state 2A state championship.

I believe you are referring to Jim Chaney. His record over five years was something like 27-23.
I totally had a brain fart. I was referring to Jim Chaney. Mike calhoun was great!

I apologize. Calhoun was great. I was referring to jim Chaney.

I had Chaney all four years. Lost four straight homecomings (always competitive though), and remember someone taking spray paint and writing the words “No City, No State, Get rid of Chaney before it’s too late” on the concrete in front of the gym entrance. It was rough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT