ADVERTISEMENT

CLASS 1A WEST FINAL POINT STANDINGS - playoff bracket

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
LINK: http://forthillfootball.net/schedules/2021/mpssaa_1A_west.htm

Hancock has officially opted out of the playoffs - so Fort Hill gets a forfeit win next week.

Southern Garrett is not opting out and will play at Allegany next Friday night.

I am still waiting to hear if Clear Spring is opting out. If they don't then they will play at Mountain Ridge on Friday. If they do Mountain Ridge will have a forfeit win next week.

Hancock is actually the 7th seed ranked ahead of Clear Spring in the point standings. But the MPSSAA rules dictate that the highest seed gets the forfeit win first and all other teams just move up in seeding. Technically, if Clear Spring opts out then Fort Hill would get a forfeit win over Clear Spring and Mountain Ridge would get a forfeit win over Hancock.

The 1A West bracket looks like this:

1) Fort Hill
8) Bye

4) Northern Garrett
5) Smithsburg

3) Allegany
6) Southern Garrett

2) Mountain Ridge
7) Clear Spring

Confirmed that Clear Spring has opted out of the playoffs. Both FH and Mtn Ridge have a bye week forfeit win.

If Ridge and FH win out will they play in the State Championship game? I think they are 1 and 2 in points in the state

It has been clarified to me through media channels that there is no mandatory sit out for the next game played as far as the ejections (that is for the three FH players and the two Alco players who were called for "coming off the bench.") The ejections were not due to fighting or personal fouls (the two players who were called for off setting personal fouls were not ejected, as we all know), and in fact the ejections are reviewed by the BOE to determine if there is any issue to require a game penalty.

At this time, it is most likely there will be no further action against the 5 players who were DQd for coming off the bench as none of the five of them ever went past the hash marks. They never entered the field of play to participate in the scuffle.

I can't see the BOE issuing further penalty against the three FH or two Alco players. So the forfeit becomes a non issue for FH. And the Alco players should be playing next week against Southern.

If Ridge and FH win out will they play in the State Championship game? I think they are 1 and 2 in points in the state
Yes. Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge are #1 & #2 overall. If they both win out they would play for the State Championship in Annapolis. Allegany is the #3 overall seed and would host a playoff game if they win their first two playoff games on the road. The West continues to be the strongest in 1A. Especially in this years watered down 1A.

Yes. Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge are #1 & #2 overall. If they both win out they would play for the State Championship in Annapolis. Allegany is the #3 overall seed and would host a playoff game if they win their first two playoff games on the road. The West continues to be the strongest in 1A. Especially in this years watered down 1A.
If Alco gets to MR and were to win, I believe the possibility of an Alco FH final is likely as well.

If Alco gets to MR and were to win, I believe the possibility of an Alco FH final is likely as well.
Yes. That is true. Point totals are as followed.

Fort Hill - 10.13
Ridge - 7.83
ALCO - 7.34
Havre de Grace - 6.18

These are the top 4 teams in the overall point standings in 1A. So whatever two teams come out of the West, (assuming FH, and Ridge, or ALCO win the regionals), they will be home throughout the playoffs and would not meet until the State Championship.

Fort Hill - 10.13
Ridge - 7.83
ALCO - 7.34
Havre de Grace - 6.18

These are the top 4 teams in the overall point standings in 1A. So whatever two teams come out of the West, (assuming FH, and Ridge, or ALCO win the regionals), they will be home throughout the playoffs and would not meet until the State Championship.

Allegany would be the top seed in any of the other three regions by a comfortable margin.

Allegany would be the top seed in any of the other three regions by a comfortable margin.
Allegany did very well for themselves point wise. They nearly beat out Mountain Ridge for the 2 seed with one more loss than Ridge.

The teams on Mountain Ridge’s schedule weren’t having their best years in 2021. Very few bonus points.

It may not be a bad idea to swap at least one of the 1A schools with a 2A or 3A school to get more points in the future.

Fort Hill - 10.13
Ridge - 7.83
ALCO - 7.34
Havre de Grace - 6.18

Wow! While I do think Allegany played somewhat above expectations, for them to be the "3rd best" team in 1A is a fairly sad reflection on 1A football. They're not that good.

What is somewhat cool about the final point standings is aside from the fact the 3 county schools (Alco, FH, MR) are the top 3 seeds, the remaining two can only meet in the state title game in Annapolis. Basically, the winner of the Alco/Mtn Ridge 2nd round match up can only face Fort Hill in Annapolis.

But yes, 1A is 1A - always has been since 1974. Not sure why some have a hard time realizing such. So when you get teams like Dunbar and FH winning all the rings it's a sure tell sign the Poets and Sentinels are way more than a 1A team competition wise.

So breaking up 1A this year with the new COVID split only watered it down further. However, the new 6 classifications watered down every class. Take a look at the new 1A/2A - c'mon man. Dunbar and FH would be favored to win that class as well. ?The Poets are the favorite in that class by a good margin. Going even further, Dunbar and FH would have a good chance at winning 2A although it gets tougher there.

This new 6 classification break up hopefully is a one year deal. Teams opting out of the playoffs should not have to opt out. In normal seasons they are not in the playoffs.

Allegany played FH as close as Oakdale
I wouldn’t go that far. Score wise it looks like the games were similar but that would be it. Oakdale had the ball in the redzone 5 of 11 drives, including several times within 5 or ten yards. I think Allegany only made to the redzone once and didn’t make it across the 50 except once, maybe twice. Oakdale had more yards in passing than Allegany did in total offense.

If we still had the old 1A West before the COVID split, this would have been the playoff match ups:

Smithsburg at Fort Hill
Northern at Mountain Ridge
Brunswick at Allegany
Boonsboro at Williamsport

School
Schedule
Wins
Losses
Win
Average
Fort Hill
8​
8​
0​
46​
35.337​
81.337​
10.17​
Mountain Ridge​
9​
8​
1​
40​
31.000​
71.000​
7.89​
Allegany
9​
7​
2​
36​
30.625​
66.625​
7.40​
Williamsport
9​
5​
4​
27​
16.000​
43.000​
4.78​
Boonsboro
9​
5​
4​
31​
12.000​
43.000​
4.78​
Brunswick
9​
5​
4​
29​
7.000​
36.000​
4.00​
Northern Garrett
9​
4​
5​
20​
12.000​
32.000​
3.56​
Smithsburg
9​
3​
6​
17​
7.000​
24.000​
2.66​
Catoctin
9​
1​
8​
5​
5.000​
10.000​
1.11​
Southern Garrett
9​
1​
8​
5​
2.000​
7.000​
0.78​
Hancock
8​
1​
7​
5​
1.000​
6.000​
0.75​
Clear Spring
9​
1​
8​
5​
1.125​
6.125​
0.68​

Wow! While I do think Allegany played somewhat above expectations, for them to be the "3rd best"

Confirmed that Clear Spring has opted out of the playoffs. Both FH and Mtn Ridge have a bye week forfeit win.
Question for Todd if you know... How are these first round forfeit wins being treated as far as the record books go? Are they being considered wins over the teams that opted out? Or are they just considered no contests? I would like to know for my record keeping.

Question for Todd if you know... How are these first round forfeit wins being treated as far as the record books go? Are they being considered wins over the teams that opted out? Or are they just considered no contests? I would like to know for my record keeping.
After reading the 2021 MPSSAA Fall State Tournament Bulletin, the way I read it and was told was that if teams withdraw from the playoffs by noon on Monday Nov 1 the game is just a bye week for the advancing opponents. If teams withdraw after that noon deadline it will be considered a forfeit. We see this in the basketball tournaments where teams are given bye weeks all the time, not a recorded forfeit victory.

If it were up to me I call it a bye week, not a win for the record books. I'm not going to argue about what's right or wrong with these concepts because splitting into 6 classes forced this hand. 9 teams have opted out in different classes. During normal years those teams are not in the playoffs anyway. More reason for the MPSSAA to go back to a 4 class set up next year. This set up is too watered down and stupid, but I get it for COVID reasons. Every team should not be making the playoffs in football.

Dang it, I would have loved a Boonsboro-Williamsport rematch! Boonsboro is playing much better football right now than they were when they met a few weeks ago. But I'm fairly certain that both of these schools are ok with taking their chances in Carroll County as opposed to Allegany County!

Alco vs. Southern game has been set for 6:00 pm this Friday at Greenway.
Game time 6:00, game completion time 6:05 or sooner!! VERY sad state of affairs up there on the mountain! Of course the HC say he "likes the trajectory" the team is on. Hmm, kind of like the captain of the Titanic saying he always wanted to see the bottom of the ocean and being oblivious to the situation around him!

I like the decision. I believe you have to play and practice to get better. If you are going to have a football team I believe you have to show the kids that it’s important to work as hard as you can till the end of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT