ADVERTISEMENT

City transfer doors wide open

Been a while since I've thrown my two cents into the hat, but I'm still around and this thread has given me the itch again. I'm seeing three separate issues being discussed here as this thread has evolved into at least three separate issues. The first post on this thread has to do with kids "transferring" . What is lost is that none of the youth league, Pee Wee included, teams are associated with the local schools. Kids are encouraged to play for the team that's in their district but, they are free to transfer for whatever reason. For instance, there were several South end kids playing for a WV team this year. Had they not played on that team, it may have folded due to lack of numbers. Now should we expect those same kids to attend a WV high school when they get to that level? I don't think so, but it could be an option for them and their parents.

Next is the college recruiting. At the D2 and 3 levels, grades are everything. Now it's been a few years so I may be off a little, but the way I remember it was that an athlete can get academic money with a 3.0 avg. However, the NCAA dictates that the academic money count against the football budget unless the student's gpa is 3.6 or higher. Then it doesn't count against the school. For these small schools that's a big deal. It wasn't that long ago that a young man from a local high school signed with a division 2 school after never starting a game at the high school level. He just wanted to be on the team and he had great grades so he got the nod.

Lastly, Alco's teams for next year. They finished last year with everyone on varsity. I wouldn't move anyone back down next year. I think that it sends the wrong message. They were there when they were needed, don't demote them for that. As far as the incoming class, allow them to play at their level, as a freshman football team. If they can again get good numbers in 2021, they will then be able to field three teams. It's a building process. Alco will be senior dominated next year but I will touch on that later.

A nice read. This has been a good thread.

Ok, I see 2 of them already transfered frome Braddock to Washington. I'll check back next August to see what happens.
You are wrong. One kid played at Braddick but went to Washington. The other kid was kicked out of Braddock and had to go to Washington, this kid is now in Martinsburg area

Reactions: Lagmeister
Talk about clueless. Let me see whose word should I take? People and coaches who have been involved with actually getting kids to college or a person who does nothing in this realm. How many kids have you helped get to college? What recruiting organization do you run? How many college coaches call your cell #? Did you play college ball? Have you spent the last 20 some years coaching high school kids? Blah, blah, blah. Just like when I told you Flowers refused to schedule FH. I will believe the people that have done these things over the person that does not.

Beal, Bishop, King, Brehm, Metz, Powell, Snyder, Askins, Swan, Haines, Plummer, Trimble, Crabtree - all had opportunities to play college football off of t2018 team. That's 13 kids out of the 17 starters. Did they take it or did they have the grades/test scores? Only 5 of them did with a couple still only seniors this year. The first four were no brainers. Plummer, Askins and Trimble were also no brainers - maybe the best players on that team. Even Smitty had a shot at D3 ball ask his parents. But college isn't for everyone. If you knew anything about it first hand or worked with those kids then I would take what you say with a grain of salt. Instead you just play your standard Fantasy Land con game. You're a disgruntled wanna be who has no involvement.
All the above had scholarship offers?

Lots of interesting information on this thread. I have been in education for over 30 years, coached at all levels from pee wee to high school and coached a wide variety of sports. The changes I have seen in the last decade to me are alarming.

I love sports, I really do but our society has "overemphasized"it's true role and purpose in the grand scheme of life. At the end of the day for 99% of STUDENT-athletes sports should be about learning life lessons that will make you a better person, spouse, parent and community member.

Winning and winning at all costs have become the main goal on most levels. Longer seasons, more games, athletes transferring and travel sports are now what is expected if you want to rise to the top. The atmosphere at games and the way many act is not conducive to an environment kids should be exposed to.

Somewhere along the line we lost our way and the unfortunate part of this is that adults are ruining what at one time was one of the greatest experiences a kid could have. I am currently not coaching but I attend games of former and current students and I feel sorry for them. The adult behavior is out of control, not all of the time, but more than it should be.

We need to ask ourselves if we were a kid playing sports would we want to play on two or three teams and travel many weekends? Would we want be forced to choose playing with my classmates or playing with my travel teammates? Would we want to have to chose between playing one sport and specializing or playing many different sports? Would we want to transfer to the school in our area that is the best ____ school or stay and play with the kids I grew up with? I could go on and on with more scenarios but I think you get my point.

I dont't have the answers but I hope for the sake of our younger generations we can at some point achieve some balance. We need to realize the true value in school and sports is getting the best possible education you can to increase your chances of living a good, productive life that contributes in a positive way to society.

I may take a beating for saying this on a sports board but more emphasis needs to be placed on having high academic standards and challenging kids in the classroom like we do on the fields, courts or tracks. Academics and sports work very well together when done with the proper perspective.

Lots of interesting information on this thread. I have been in education for over 30 years, coached at all levels from pee wee to high school and coached a wide variety of sports. The changes I have seen in the last decade to me are alarming.

I love sports, I really do but our society has "overemphasized"it's true role and purpose in the grand scheme of life. At the end of the day for 99% of STUDENT-athletes sports should be about learning life lessons that will make you a better person, spouse, parent and community member.

Winning and winning at all costs have become the main goal on most levels. Longer seasons, more games, athletes transferring and travel sports are now what is expected if you want to rise to the top. The atmosphere at games and the way many act is not conducive to an environment kids should be exposed to.

Somewhere along the line we lost our way and the unfortunate part of this is that adults are ruining what at one time was one of the greatest experiences a kid could have. I am currently not coaching but I attend games of former and current students and I feel sorry for them. The adult behavior is out of control, not all of the time, but more than it should be.

We need to ask ourselves if we were a kid playing sports would we want to play on two or three teams and travel many weekends? Would we want be forced to choose playing with my classmates or playing with my travel teammates? Would we want to have to chose between playing one sport and specializing or playing many different sports? Would we want to transfer to the school in our area that is the best ____ school or stay and play with the kids I grew up with? I could go on and on with more scenarios but I think you get my point.

I dont't have the answers but I hope for the sake of our younger generations we can at some point achieve some balance. We need to realize the true value in school and sports is getting the best possible education you can to increase your chances of living a good, productive life that contributes in a positive way to society.

I may take a beating for saying this on a sports board but more emphasis needs to be placed on having high academic standards and challenging kids in the classroom like we do on the fields, courts or tracks. Academics and sports work very well together when done with the proper perspective.

"At the end of the day for 99% of STUDENT-athletes sports should be about learning life lessons that will make you a better person, spouse, parent and community member."

"I may take a beating for saying this on a sports board but more emphasis needs to be placed on having high academic standards and challenging kids in the classroom like we do on the fields, courts or tracks. Academics and sports work very well together when done with the proper perspective"

Amen.... Can't add anything to that.

No, "talking" to coaches and walking on and quitting are not offers. But if Brian wants to define that as an "offer" I'm not going to debate back and forth with him.

It's amazing what some people consider an offer these days. For DI, DI-AA and D2 there's a scholarship offer and a walk-on offer. The former is either a full or partial scholarship, depending on the level, while the latter includes no money.

For example, from what I've read and heard, FH's QB who's going to WVU to kick, received a Preferred Walk-On offer.. which means they really like him and want him on their team, but aren't willing to invest any scholarship money in him yet. They want him to compete with the other guys there, and chances are within a year or two he'll either be placed on scholarship, or not. And the guys who walk-on and don't eventually earn a scholarship (or scholarship money) generally quit or transfer to a smaller school where they can play.

It's amazing what some people consider an offer these days. For DI, DI-AA and D2 there's a scholarship offer and a walk-on offer. The former is either a full or partial scholarship, depending on the level, while the latter includes no money.

For example, from what I've read and heard, FH's QB who's going to WVU to kick, received a Preferred Walk-On offer.. which means they really like him and want him on their team, but aren't willing to invest any scholarship money in him yet. They want him to compete with the other guys there, and chances are within a year or two he'll either be placed on scholarship, or not. And the guys who walk-on and don't eventually earn a scholarship (or scholarship money) generally quit or transfer to a smaller school where they can play.

Kickers and punters are a different animal because colleges are not going to put two guys on scholarship for kicking a football. They value the 85 FBS scholarship allotment to fill other positions. It's rare an incoming frosh kicker gets a scholarship unless the starter from the previous season departed. For the record, Danny King has full scholarship offers. He wants to be at WVU and his academics permitted him to lower the cost considerably even without getting a first year football scholarship. But yes, Danny will have to earn a scholarship while there much the same as current WVU starter Evan Staley (from Hampshire) had to do. Most all kickers and punters pretty much have to go this route.

All the above had scholarship offers?

Yes, 7 of the players I named had financial offer opportunities to play college football. But some did not meet the academic requirements for that money. Some posters dont understand lower level recruiting and how money gets distributed thru grades and test scores. Another, who almost didn't play his senior year, chose not to play anymore and Beal got one for baseball. Counting them, Yes that is nine D2 and D3 caliber players on the same FH team. Then some wonder why FH swept every top level post season award for this area.

I understand the Times News top awards don't always make college level players. But most of them do if you look at the history of those awards. FH has swept the Area MVP, Offensive, Defensive and Lineman top awards 2 years straight. Many of them co-awards. That's 11 players that won the area top awards. Yes they can all play D2 and D3 ball.

Last edited:
Kickers and punters are a different animal because colleges are not going to put two guys on scholarship for kicking a football. They value the 85 FBS scholarship allotment to fill other positions. It's rare an incoming frosh kicker gets a scholarship unless the starter from the previous season departed. For the record, Danny King has full scholarship offers. He wants to be at WVU and his academics permitted him to lower the cost considerably even without getting a first year football scholarship. But yes, Danny will have to earn a scholarship while there much the same as current WVU starter Evan Staley (from Hampshire) had to do. Most all kickers and punters pretty much have to go this route.

Exactly, Todd. The one coach at FH who's a friend of mine said that even before Danny started his junior year, Towson had offered him a full scholarship after he did really well at one of their camps. Pretty impressive considering he was still an underclassman at that point.

And yes, it's different for kickers. Both of our starters in college had different routes. One was a walk-on, one had a partial offer up front. I've seen a couple of the sites where kickers are rated, and it only seems like a handful of kids every year get full rides to D1 schools out of high school.

I just looked at Maryland's stats from last year and they were 2/5 on field goals for the entire season with a long of 33 yards... And from what I see, they didn't sign a kicker in this year's class.

A buddy of mine who trains Danny King told me last Fall that Danny has won the MD kicking camp the last three summers in a row, and they never even send him a postcard, invited him to a game, nothing.

And that's why they're MD.

Reactions: 5punisher3
Exactly, Todd. The one coach at FH who's a friend of mine said that even before Danny started his junior year, Towson had offered him a full scholarship after he did really well at one of their camps. Pretty impressive considering he was still an underclassman at that point.

And yes, it's different for kickers. Both of our starters in college had different routes. One was a walk-on, one had a partial offer up front. I've seen a couple of the sites where kickers are rated, and it only seems like a handful of kids every year get full rides to D1 schools out of high school.

I just looked at Maryland's stats from last year and they were 2/5 on field goals for the entire season with a long of 33 yards... And from what I see, they didn't sign a kicker in this year's class.

A buddy of mine who trains Danny King told me last Fall that Danny has won the MD kicking camp the last three summers in a row, and they never even send him a postcard, invited him to a game, nothing.

And that's why they're MD.

i believe MD didn't sign a kicker this yr because they signed a Scholarship kicker the yr or 2 before in joseph petrino

Last edited:
Speaking of transfers...the WV TGC Forum has been talking about Keyser head coach Sean Biser taking the Morgantown HS head coaching vacancy for some time now. I know he applied. Rumors are he will get offered the job. Just passing along what I heard but I have no poker in this fire so just pure speculation based on unsubstantiated hearsay. But I do know he is a front runner. Expect an announcement from Morgantown here soon on who they are hiring.

Speaking of transfers...the WV TGC Forum has been talking about Keyser head coach Sean Biser taking the Morgantown HS head coaching vacancy for some time now. I know he applied. Rumors are he will get offered the job. Just passing along what I heard but I have no poker in this fire so just pure speculation based on unsubstantiated hearsay. But I do know he is a front runner. Expect an announcement from Morgantown here soon on who they are hiring.

That'd be a big move for Sean, especially since he's a Keyser native. He's won at both stops though. Had Hampshire at probably the best they've ever been, and Keyser seems to be an annual playoff team now.

I'd be surprised if A) there's not a strong candidate for that job who's already a Morgantown guy that would result in B) Morgantown hiring an outsider.

Beal- Baseball at Mount St. Mary's
Bishop- Walk on at Utah when his missionary work is done
King- WVU
Brehm- Redshirt at AB, quit a few months in
Powell- Talked to maybe 1 college coach before deciding he didnt want to have to undergo shoulder surgery
Askins- Did not want to play college football
Swan- Walk on at FSU, quit 2 days in
Haines- Went on one college visit, goes to school in Michigan
Plummer- Didnt want to play college football
Trimble- Didnt want to talk to any college coaches
Crabtree- Talked to 1 D3 coach.
Theres the truth for you.

Thank you CumberlandHSFB for this truth!!
Much more realistic than “half the 2018 championship team got offers”. I know how hard it is to get football money at the next level, let alone in a small community such as ours, that statement was just not believable. Money for academics (although it’s awesome) is not the same thing as a football scholarship offer. Talking to coaches and going on visits doesn’t equate an offer. Winning a state championship doesn’t mean colleges come dropping offers at your feet. Its much more of a process than that. Also, with the use of the FH football Twitter page, the Red Huddle and F Club social media pages, along with this site - I find it real hard to believe that if all those kids had “offers” it would would not have been publicized. The only ones I heard about were King and Bishop.
I am not saying all those kids didn’t have the ability to play D2 or D3, I’m sure they did but college ball at ANY level is a completely different animal than high school and requires a commitment a lot of kids just aren’t willing to put into it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT