ADVERTISEMENT

ALCO vs Ridge. Northern vs FH. Round 2. Thoughts

FH 42-7
FH is FH and northern is northern.

MR 35-13
I think alco has been looking ahead to ridge for 2 weeks since the seeding was finalized and the will be emotionally spent by the end of the 1st quarter. Hansel mentioned in the homecoming press conference that they wanted ridge and now he has to try to keep his team mentally and emotionally prepared all week and then all of pregame on Friday. Prior to last night I think it would’ve been a competitive game. During the first meeting ridge left about 14-17 point on the board with turnovers and missed field goals. They don’t leave those points on the field and execute when it matters

I believe that Alco can replace Fields on offense with the depth of the other skill guys picking up the slack. It's on the defensive side of the ball where his loss could be devastating. With apologies to the Campers bench players, no one can fill his shoes on that side of the ball. Believe me l think coach Patterson and QB Patterson will really try to exploit that.

One thing I've been seeing and probably worth noting, Fort Hill's #77 is getting illegally chop blocked a lot. That Alco game showed him getting engaged up high than another interior lineman diving at his knees. #77 was still beating the chop blocks, but that doesn't make them legal. The kid is going to get his knees tore up if the officials don't start throwing flags on this.

One thing I've been seeing and probably worth noting, Fort Hill's #77 is getting illegally chop blocked a lot. That Alco game showed him getting engaged up high than another interior lineman diving at his knees. #77 was still beating the chop blocks, but that doesn't make them legal. The kid is going to get his knees tore up if the officials don't start throwing flags on this.
Holy crap I watched the film and they constantly chop block him. It’s ridiculous. I wish I could reach out to a coach to have the refs look at that each game, but he definitely needs to say something..

I hate the fact that Northern has to play Fort Hill. I think they have a very good one 1a team. I would have loved to see them play Cambridge, or Patterson or Boonsboro.. I feel like all a lot of those games are winnable.
It would be amazing if they seeded teams from the very first game through the playoffs

I hate the fact that Northern has to play Fort Hill. I think they have a very good one 1a team. I would have loved to see them play Cambridge, or Patterson or Boonsboro.. I feel like all a lot of those games are winnable.
It would be amazing if they seeded teams from the very first game through the playoffs
Totally agree. Smithsburg and Boonsboro are like next door neighbors, yet they are in different regions. I know I'm beating a dead horse, about regions. Perryville and Havre de Grace live in the same duplex, play in the same league, yet are in different regions. I know 1A is so spread out, but year after year FH, MR, Alco, and Northern are forced to eliminate each other while less talented teams moves forward. I know guys, it's not gonna change, but it aggravates the hell out of me.😬😬

I know at least once he looked over to the FH sideline and motioned that he was getting chop blocked.

Yeah, and the game FH vs MR, MR was tackling him by the legs - not just holding. He's quite the beast. I suppose if teams don't, they won't get the snap off.

I believe that Alco can replace Fields on offense with the depth of the other skill guys picking up the slack. It's on the defensive side of the ball where his loss could be devastating. With apologies to the Campers bench players, no one can fill his shoes on that side of the ball. Believe me l think coach Patterson and QB Patterson will really try to exploit that.
Idk, according to Alco folks they don't have a second string, even with 30+ players. Not sure what you are saying here.

Reactions: ravemwp
Totally agree. Smithsburg and Boonsboro are like next door neighbors, yet they are in different regions. I know I'm beating a dead horse, about regions. Perryville and Havre de Grace live in the same duplex, play in the same league, yet are in different regions. I know 1A is so spread out, but year after year FH, MR, Alco, and Northern are forced to eliminate each other while less talented teams moves forward. I know guys, it's not gonna change, but it aggravates the hell out of me.😬😬
But it would still be FH and Ridge in the title game so does it really matter?

Reactions: ravemwp
Idk, according to Alco folks they don't have a second string, even with 30+ players. Not sure what you are saying here.
Was just saying that by giving their other skill position players more touches. may help offset some of the productivity of Fields on offense. He is an outstanding defender, and that's where Alco will miss him most.

Reactions: Dwj21
But it would still be FH and Ridge in the title game so does it really matter?
Maybe so. Without regional seeding, Northern would be playing at home this week against SEED School, and Alco would be playing at home against Bo. Manor both as favorites to win and advance. As it stands now, instead they get to face the top two 1A teams in the state being underdogs. 2 of the top 8 seeds won't make the final 8 because of region. My reasoning for changing is that you have teams that are 5 and 10 miles apart playing in different regions. I know it's a tired old argument, but I believe that in order to to put on a good tournament, is to have the best teams advance. In my humble opinion, there will be several teams advance that are not as talented as Northern, and Alco. Personally I see no problem with re-seeding after each round. I agree that FH and MR are the favorites, I would just like to see teams rewarded for good seasons, instead of being knocked out in the first or second round by the two state powerhouses regardless of your record. One could argue that Allegany may be the 3rd best team in 1A. They should not be playing the 2nd best this round.

Reactions: Dwj21 and Tony54
On that note this FH staff has been very good about not running up scores. I hope as soon as they are ahead safely they substitute, mainly the line. We've all heard they are going to lose the entire line and will have to start over next year. I say start now. Give them experience now and they won't be entirely "new" next year. There is nothing like experience to be ready for next season, leaving starters in when it's not necessary not only looks bad but it's really hurting your own kids more than the other team.

On that note this FH staff has been very good about not running up scores. I hope as soon as they are ahead safely they substitute, mainly the line. We've all heard they are going to lose the entire line and will have to start over next year. I say start now. Give them experience now and they won't be entirely "new" next year. There is nothing like experience to be ready for next season, leaving starters in when it's not necessary not only looks bad but it's really hurting your own kids more than the other team.
One of the things I like about this FH coaching staff, is that they do seem to subsitute early and often, as to not purposely embarrass opponents. Honestly can't say it's always been that way with previous staffs.

I agree, in part, with what you're saying. However, never underestimate a desperate playoff team. i still remember a Brunswick team comeback that was unbelievably shocking. And once "mo'" swings, it's hard to stop. All it takes is one bad day/night. And, there have been some upsets.

Reactions: ravemwp and Tony54
Alco is a bit banged up, may be without another starter or two, not naming names because it's info shared in confidence. Plus one out on suspension. We'll see tonight who is suited up or not.

As much as I really want a FH/Alco final ..I think the Campers run ends tonight. I'm thinking 31-17, Ridge.

I will eat a big plate of crow with a smile on my face if I'm wrong.

I agree, in part, with what you're saying. However, never underestimate a desperate playoff team. i still remember a Brunswick team comeback that was unbelievably shocking. And once "mo'" swings, it's hard to stop. All it takes is one bad day/night. And, there have been some
Alco is a bit banged up, may be without another starter or two, not naming names because it's info shared in confidence. Plus one out on suspension. We'll see tonight who is suited up or not.

As much as I really want a FH/Alco final ..I think the Campers run ends tonight. I'm thinking 31-17, Ridge.

I will eat a big plate of crow with a smile on my face if I'm wrong.
I never understood the idea of not naming who is injured and not playing. I honestly don’t know what that accomplishes

Before that muffed punt reception, I thought Alco had a chance! I would still love to see a come back!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4R341
For me, I was told the information in a private Convo. It wasnt really my place to make an official statement, I was just saying Alco may be shorthanded.

I feel bad for the Campers seniors. They were shorthanded for several different reasons and would have loved to see another classic like the week three matchup.

That muffed punt really changed the complexion of the game early. Alco played a really nice first series against MR defensively. The talent of MR, combined with the mistakes Alco made in the first half really ended the Campers shot at pulling the upset.

It was a decent performance from MR considering they had the week off. They must play better if they want to go to Annapolis for a third straight season. Up next.... another rematch vs. Catoctin.

Dae Dae Smith played with a wrapped up hand. Patterson was also banged up a bit, but I assumed he would be playing.
A couple of really tough kids. Kudos for their passion, desire and commitment. If only the coaching staff had the same commitment to them, as they do for their school, and teammates. It' not about you coach. It's about them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT