ADVERTISEMENT

Alco vs Dunbar official thread

The problem with the "Dunbar recruits" chorus you hear comes from moments when people highlight the standout transfers. First name that comes to mind is Epe Henriques. Fort Hill plays him with Joppatowne one year then he shows up as the starting QB at Dunbar the following year, from a different school district. Immediately latching onto that being some conspiracy. We like our conspiracies up here.

But I'm here to tell you, its rampant in Allegany County as well, with kids living in districts for one school and playing for others. Living with grandparents or siblings or aunts and uncles...and NOT because of football. Just because that's how families are these days. The standard nuclear family is not the norm anymore. Hell Alco's stud FB last year lived deep in Little Egypt (the heart of FH territory for those out of towners). So what? Just play with what you have and win or lose with that team.

The focus on where kids are at and from etc, it's just played out.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
"You guys out west have this mindset" Meth007
Yes, our mind is set on making the most out of what we have. You can't coach a team to do what it can't do. FH lost to Dunbar last year because of a few spectacular plays by individual athletes.... that interception at the end of the game was one of the finest defensive plays I have seen a high school athlete make.

"Dunbar has its share of kids leaving the program getting poached by local privates" Meth007
You're kind of proving my point. Without a guaranteed 1A ring, you lost some players and were unable to win the 2A championship. Close, but no cigar; yet still, you should be playing in 2A because of your recruiting base.

"Coach Smith and or the school administration that doesn't care about football wins" Meth007
Sorry, my friend... I never believed it all the other times you posted this.

Last edited:
The problem with the "Dunbar recruits" chorus you hear comes from moments when people highlight the standout transfers. First name that comes to mind is Epe Henriques. Fort Hill plays him with Joppatowne one year then he shows up as the starting QB at Dunbar the following year, from a different school district. Immediately latching onto that being some conspiracy. We like our conspiracies up here.

But I'm here to tell you, its rampant in Allegany County as well, with kids living in districts for one school and playing for others. Living with grandparents or siblings or aunts and uncles...and NOT because of football. Just because that's how families are these days. The standard nuclear family is not the norm anymore. Hell Alco's stud FB last year lived deep in Little Egypt (the heart of FH territory for those out of towners). So what? Just play with what you have and win or lose with that team.

With such a well worded rationale - suddenly appearing when the game is Alco vs. Dunbar and not Dunbar vs. FH - you should do public relations for St. Frances.

Last edited:
Last year as I was arriving to the stadium before the Alco-Dunbar game the Dunbar Coach was on the radio and I remember him saying how good the Dunbar JV team was and I cant remember the exact numbers he was saying as far as scored to scored against, etc, I do remember it was very dominating.

Last year as I was arriving to the stadium before the Alco-Dunbar game the Dunbar Coach was on the radio and I remember him saying how good the Dunbar JV team was and I cant remember the exact numbers he was saying as far as scored to scored against, etc, I do remember it was very dominating.

And, this is how it should be: Allegany county, 70 thousand and shrinking. Baltimore Metro, 2.7 million and still growing. Dunbar has a class program that will attract quality athletes from all over the Metro area into its JV system.

Dunbar is always well coached and talent laden. They ran into problems in 2A because the gravy transfers didn't see anymore low hanging fruit for a title in 1A.
Don't forget those 2A schools also have a lot more depth than fh or allegany, more two way players...I think I'm mainly referring to the likes of Middletown.

Reactions: Lagmeister
Don't forget those 2A schools also have a lot more depth than fh or allegany, more two way players...I think I'm mainly referring to the likes of Middletown.

Remember too, Alco could not field a freshman team and has 23 players on JV. Could this be because "...kids living in districts for one school and playing for others..." FHHSAHS

Reactions: camper21502
We all heard the same thing last yr. Alco doesn't stand a chance blah,blah,blah... Im seeing the same score predictions as last yr. FH fans have them blowing us out lol.

Name one starter for Alco or FH that wasn't on the roster last year.

Remember too, Alco could not field a freshman team and has 23 players on JV. Could this be because "...kids living in districts for one school and playing for others..." FHHSAHS
Alco has 29 players on JV and yes they could field a freshman team but why.

Reactions: cumbfanatic

I agree, but you can't act like FH doesn't accept their share of out of area impact players. The top FH RB for the last four years came up playing youth football in Allegany territory. FH accepted a transfer from Boonsboro's starting QB a few years ago. Transfers from Florida, Hagerstown etc. Once again, this doesn't matter to me, and we can cherry-pick this stuff all day. I'm just saying when you lose a game to a better team don't make excuses.

Last edited:
Ugh.... first hand-off last year didn't Robinette go over 35 yards or so? In the obsolete Wing T Alco ran for 499 yards... Robinette accounted for 232 yards.

You are kind of misquoting me. I never said the Wing T is obsolete. Many teams run it effectively. I said one dimensional. There are teams that can run and pass effectively out of the Wing T. And you're correct Dunbar saw it last year against Alco and in the first half against FH. If you listened to the post game press conference in the title game Coach Smith said, "We stacked the box in the second half because we know they couldn't throw." FH didn't score in the second half because they didn't adjust. It was about coaching and strategy not transfer players. Expect Dunbar to stack the box from the beginning of the game and see if Alco can attack them in the air.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
You are kind of misquoting me. I never said the Wing T is obsolete. Many teams run it effectively. I said one dimensional. There are teams that can run and pass effectively out of the Wing T. And you're correct Dunbar saw it last year against Alco and in the first half against FH. If you listened to the post game press conference in the title game Coach Smith said, "We stacked the box in the second half because we know they couldn't throw." FH didn't score in the second half because they didn't adjust. It was about coaching and strategy not transfer players. Expect Dunbar to stack the box from the beginning of the game and see if Alco can attack them in the air.

What happened with Allegany? Dunbar tried everything and it didn't work. You stack the box and break a small seam, what happens? Robinette broke though and was into the secondary... that's what happened. What happened all game long with Allegany? Of course, Alco also had the speed to run outside and pass.

FH lost by 4 points.... just 4 points. If Coach Smith fully out-coached Appel, why didn't he stack the box at the beginning of the game. I'll tell you why: it didn't work against Allegany and it almost didn't work against FH. FH had everything last year but a superior fullback like Robinette and outside speed like Johnson or Brown. They haven't had a superior passing game in.... well, Johnson and Brown could burn you deep.

Dunbar had some outstanding pass plays and a timely interception, otherwise.... they lose - I point to that early touchdown pass where the Dunbar quarterback was almost sacked and he tossed it up the middle.... great catch and run. I'm talking here... maybe 3 plays in the game that made a difference. With deference to Coach Smith, outstanding though he may be, there was no secret about FH's strength or weakness that Smith didn't know at the start of the game.

If anything, Dunbar was stacking the line and blitzing because they figured FH would have to pass but would not be able to do it effectively. FH was not out-coached: their game plan gave them an opportunity to win, they just didn't have the players to make that happen. Well... that and the fact that a couple Dunbar players made a few plays that any player at any level would be proud of.

Well, I guess once again I am the only person defending Appel's coaching ability in the championship game. Fancy that.

Last edited:
What happened with Allegany? Dunbar tried everything and it didn't work. You stack the box and break a small seam, what happens? Robinette broke though and was into the secondary... that's what happened. What happened all game long with Allegany? Of course, Alco also had the speed to run outside and pass.

FH lost by 4 points.... just 4 points. If Coach Smith fully out-coached Appel, why didn't he stack the box at the beginning of the game. I'll tell you why: it didn't work against Allegany and it almost didn't work against FH. FH had everything last year but a superior fullback like Robinette and outside speed like Johnson or Brown. They haven't had a superior passing game in.... well, Johnson and Brown could burn you deep.

Dunbar had some outstanding pass plays and a timely interception, otherwise.... they lose - I point to that early touchdown pass where the Dunbar quarterback was almost sacked and he tossed it up the middle.... great catch and run. I'm talking here... maybe 3 plays in the game that made a difference. With deference to Coach Smith, outstanding though he may be, there was no secret about FH's strength or weakness that Smith didn't know at the start of the game.

If anything, Dunbar was stacking the line and blitzing because they figured FH would have to pass but would not be able to do it effectively. FH was not out-coached: their game plan gave them an opportunity to win, they just didn't have the players to make that happen. Well... that and the fact that a couple Dunbar players made a few plays that any player at any level would be proud of.

Well, I guess once again I am the only person defending Appel's coaching ability in the championship game. Fancy that.
Spot on post. Your right about everything. Dunbar won on 4 plays that all went for over 50 yards.

Reactions: Lagmeister

We can debate what "could have been" all day. FH was very fortunate with that questionable roughing the passer call when Dunbar intercepted the pass. They were very close to being down two TD's in the first half. The bottom line is FH didn't score in the second half. A one dimensional team simply won't beat a well-coached team. And believe me Dunbar sees players faster than Johnson and Brown on a regular basis.

We can debate what "could have been" all day. FH was very fortunate with that questionable roughing the passer call when Dunbar intercepted the pass. They were very close to being down two TD's in the first half. The bottom line is FH didn't score in the second half. A one dimensional team simply won't beat a well-coached team. And believe me Dunbar sees players faster than Johnson and Brown on a regular basis.

There is no "could have been" to say that Dunbar could have lost, because they could have. FH does what FH does which is to either beat other teams to death with their run game or keep a game close with their run game so they can run the clock down and win. Guess what.... FH had the ball multiple times in the 4th quarter and just didn't get it done because they didn't have the horses of prior years. But make no mistake, Dunbar didn't put FH away.

A halftime change in a game plan didn't win this game. Otherwise, shame on Coach Smith for not crowding the line - shutting FH out in the first half - and win going away like... ugh.... 42 to nothin'.

There is no "could have been" to say that Dunbar could have lost, because they could have. FH does what FH does which is to either beat other teams to death with their run game or keep a game close with their run game so they can run the clock down and win. Guess what.... FH had the ball multiple times in the 4th quarter and just didn't get it done because they didn't have the horses of prior years. But make no mistake, Dunbar didn't put FH away.

A halftime change in a game plan didn't win this game. Otherwise, shame on Coach Smith for not crowding the line - shutting FH out in the first half - and win going away like... ugh.... 42 to nothin'.

What's to say he didn't make changes that took a while to get going? What's to say FH didn't finally wear down in the second half after its toughest stretch of games in years?

I also love how you say Dunbar's offensive success is from its players, then attribute Robinette's success to the wing-T. You're on the verge of pulling from 'North Dallas 40' and flipping back and forth to whatever suits your needs. 'Every time I say its skill, you tell me its scheme. Every time I say its scheme, you tell me its skill.'

You gotta love the armchair generals who think they know better than state champion coaches. Go on and change the subject, or pull the forum's most predictable distraction, 'show where I said that.'

Reactions: BoyznBlue
What's to say he didn't make changes that took a while to get going? What's to say FH didn't finally wear down in the second half after its toughest stretch of games in years?

I also love how you say Dunbar's offensive success is from its players, then attribute Robinette's success to the wing-T. You're on the verge of pulling from 'North Dallas 40' and flipping back and forth to whatever suits your needs. 'Every time I say its skill, you tell me its scheme. Every time I say its scheme, you tell me its skill.'

You gotta love the armchair generals who think they know better than state champion coaches. Go on and change the subject, or pull the forum's most predictable distraction, 'show where I said that.'

I see trigger mortis has once again set in from your lag derangement syndrome.

FH points in the first half: 26
FH points in the second half: 0
Lag: "A halftime change in the game plan didn't win this game", LOL

Every team would love to have their "horses of prior years". I'm sure Dunbar would love to have Tavon Austin back, LOL. FH did have the 2 time OPOY in the backfield. If you're playing for the state championship not having the "horses of prior years" is a poor excuse for going scoreless in the second half.

Reactions: OneRing

Every team would love to have their "horses of prior years". I'm sure Dunbar would love to have Tavon Austin back, LOL. FH did have the 2 time OPOY in the backfield. If you're playing for the state championship not having the "horses of prior years" is a poor excuse for going scoreless in the second half.

I understand what you are driving at here. It is a valid point. But I do think my point remains: FH stuck to their game plan in a close game. The spread was 4 points and FH had the ball with over 6 minutes left. Without the big plays by a few of their athletes.... Dunbar could have easily lost this game.

Yes, it is important that FH didn't score in the second half. But remember, Dunbar only scored once in the third quarter, with a conversion:

D 16 6 8 0— 30

FH 8 18 0 0 — 26

Last edited:
Fort Hill's game plan the second half was to get outside the tackles. That wasn't a good idea as we all saw the result. Not selling Dunbar short, because they were very good at that point. The Fort Hill coaches beat themselves. It cost Fort Hill a fifth title in a row. This year, Dunbar is going to be twice as tough to beat, and Lackey may be the second best 1A in the State. The West Champ will have a lot to overcome this year.

This thread has gotten off the Alco game entirely. Let's get it back on.

I see trigger mortis has once again set in from your lag derangement syndrome.
Wow! I'm so deep in your head that all you could is run back as fast as possible and do exactly like I said you would.

I'm even a better armchair general than you. No surprise right.

And at the same time he says that Dunbar only scored because it has the better players, yet points out how they couldn't score in the second half either, and has said before that FH kept the same gameplay. Those players just decided to not be good anymore once the second half started, I guess. Nothing neither coach did. Just Dunbar players saying... Nah, let's not be as good as before.

We could all get rich if we could buy Lags for what hes worth, and then sell him for what he thinks hes worth. Like Kobe Bryant/Body Armor type of return.

I'm happy Allegany is playing Dunbar 2 years in a row. If Alco lost by 50 last year they would still be going to Baltimore to play Dunbar this year. That makes us proud

Reactions: camper21502
Fort Hill's game plan the second half was to get outside the tackles. That wasn't a good idea as we all saw the result. Not selling Dunbar short, because they were very good at that point. The Fort Hill coaches beat themselves. It cost Fort Hill a fifth title in a row. This year, Dunbar is going to be twice as tough to beat, and Lackey may be the second best 1A in the State. The West Champ will have a lot to overcome this year.

This thread has gotten off the Alco game entirely. Let's get it back on.

FH also had two turnovers in the second half. The last was an interception on the Dunbar 33. The game was still theirs to win.

Ugh.... but okay, you're right: Here goes...

Allegany is not last year's team. That sums it all up. It would be by divine intervention that they win this game. Personally, I don't care what the score is. I just want Alco to come out injury free so they can have a respectful season.

Last edited:
I'm happy Allegany is playing Dunbar 2 years in a row. If Alco lost by 50 last year they would still be going to Baltimore to play Dunbar this year. That makes us proud

I guess so, but I would rather they just get the young men some decent competition each year and leave it at that.

So Laggy would you feel better if Dunbar weren't in 1A and you guys could simply beat on the little sister of the poor every year, winning a ring every year or would it feel better actually earning a ring? In my opinion, the last 3 1A rings that Fort Hill won when Dunbar left were gimmes. Douglass Baltimore twice and Edmondson...lol

Anywho.. 1A is a 6 man race this year and it will be every year where we could start the playoffs tomorrow.

Alco/FH

Lackey/Douglass PG someone else you should worry about. BTW, Douglass has the same advantage Dunbar has in PG county and they will be pretty good this year. They are actually my favorite to play Dunbar in the finals if they squeeze past Lackey:).

Dunbar and Havre De Grace run a spread but Dunbar runs it with more power and with better athletes.

Now, last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Dunbar with a very young defense. In the past, Dunbar saw the wing t every year playing either team from the West. You could tell the hiatus affected them after seeing mostly spread teams for the last 3 years. The mostly soph and Jr laden team was thinking versus simply reacting. The coaching staff scrambled during the game to find the right pieces during the trial by fire and nothing work. The D never settled, and the offense made 2 mistakes and never recovered. With that being said, they are now battle tested and they should be stout vs the run tomorrow. My worry isn't Alco, its the penalty yards on key drives and turning the ball over. Historically, Dunbar has played horribly week 1 and most of their loses usually come early in the year. As the season progresses they usually get stronger. Tomorrow should be interesting...

Reactions: ConeyIsland
So Laggy would you feel better if Dunbar weren't in 1A and you guys could simply beat on the little sister of the poor every year, winning a ring every year or would it feel better actually earning a ring? In my opinion, the last 3 1A rings that Fort Hill won when Dunbar left were gimmes. Douglass Baltimore twice and Edmondson...lol

Anywho.. 1A is a 6 man race this year and it will be every year where we could start the playoffs tomorrow.

Alco/FH

Lackey/Douglass PG someone else you should worry about. BTW, Douglass has the same advantage Dunbar has in PG county and they will be pretty good this year. They are actually my favorite to play Dunbar in the finals if they squeeze past Lackey:).

Dunbar and Havre De Grace run a spread but Dunbar runs it with more power and with better athletes.

Now, last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Dunbar with a very young defense. In the past, Dunbar saw the wing t every year playing either team from the West. You could tell the hiatus affected them after seeing mostly spread teams for the last 3 years. The mostly soph and Jr laden team was thinking versus simply reacting. The coaching staff scrambled during the game to find the right pieces during the trial by fire and nothing work. The D never settled, and the offense made 2 mistakes and never recovered. With that being said, they are now battle tested and they should be stout vs the run tomorrow. My worry isn't Alco, its the penalty yards on key drives and turning the ball over. Historically, Dunbar has played horribly week 1 and most of their loses usually come early in the year. As the season progresses they usually get stronger. Tomorrow should be interesting...

Well actually, I prefer no playoffs at all. As I have posted probably a dozen times now over the years.... I think WMD teams should play 9 games, homecoming and hit the books.

"...you guys could simply beat on the little sister of the poor every year, winning a ring every year or would it feel better actually earning a ring? In my opinion, the last 3 1A rings that Fort Hill won when Dunbar left were gimmes."

Ouch! I think I will leave this to the Red-jackets to answer this if they feel so motivated.
At any rate, I am only hoping for an injury free game... for everyone

Seeing an awful lot of what ifs and coulds and Shoulds. How about a few score predictions?

Alco/FH

My reply to that - Dunbar has won 8 state titles since 2004. All Class 1A with a roster full of kids from all over Baltimore City and Baltimore County. The Poets go to 2A for four years and NOTHING. The path Alco and FH travel to win titles are the same path Dunbar travels to win titles. Except the Poet North region is against those same Overlea, Lewis, Southside Academy sisters of the poor. In short a cake walk free pass to the semifinals every single year.

But I will give credit where credit is due: since 2004 Baltimore City is the king of 1A football.

Last edited:
My reply to that - Dunbar has won 8 state titles since 2004. All Class 1A with a roster full of kids from all over Baltimore City and Baltimore County. The Poets go to 2A for four years and NOTHING. The path Alco and FH travel to win titles are the same path Dunbar travels to win titles. Except the Poet North region is against those same Overlea, Lewis, Southside Academy sisters of the poor. In short a cake walk free pass to the semifinals every single year.

But I will give credit where credit is due: since 2004 Baltimore City is the king of 1A football.

Ugh... just a question... Alco and FH play each other twice along the way. What quality teams did Dunbar play twice each year?

I rarely see anyone here talk about Dunbar recruiting. That's not the issue. Baltimore schools have an open enrollment policy obviously. Some students go to a school for engineering, some for math, some for the arts and some for athletics. There are over 8,000,000 people living there. Stick a team in Class 1A who maintains a wide open door city policy for athletics and one would have to expect that team to dominate the lowest 1A level.

Being a FH fan I have no problem with how Dunbar operates. If FH had some better decision making on the field they could have won a few of those tight battles.

Dunbar can't compete for all the marbles at any other level than 1A. But it's all relative because neither can Alco or FH.

Last edited:
Dunbar is the Raiders of the Maryland...we get more than our share of phantom holding calls

Why do you guys insist that Dunbar can't compete at the other levels? They lost very close games to the wire in 2A to the eventual champions 3 times in the semi and got handled in the championship game by the best public team arguably that year in Douglass PG. Winning championships year in and out is unheard of in every other classification except for 1A. If they would have stayed in 2A there's no doubt that they would have eventually won on in that class... because they did it before. Last year Damascus was one of the best teams in the state ...probably top 5 public teams. This year 2A is up for grabs.. with Damascus being the favorite. I think both teams would be a good matchup this year....and we will not see it.

mhIAjOdE8iM

Happy Game Day

Dunbar is the Raiders of the Maryland...we get more than our share of phantom holding calls

If one were to take the giant telescope at the Palomar Observatory in California, put it inside the giant telescope at the Lowell Observatory in Arizona and put both of them inside the giant Mauna Kea telescope in Hawaii, one could still not see the point of Dunbar playing the pity-me-refs card in this mismatched contest.

I guess im the only one on here that thinks Alco can play with Dunbar. I don't see a blowout in this one. I really like the Campers backfield with a nice combination of speed and power. I think this yrs team is overall faster than last yr. and that should help when you play a team like Dunbar.
Allegany 29 Dunbar 28
Alco will trail the Poets 28-21. The Campers will score late in the 4th and go for the win with a 2pt. conversion. Lets Go!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT