ADVERTISEMENT

Alco vs Dunbar official thread

hbpass2

All State Poster
Dec 5, 2011
This game will be bad but alco should be able to keep some of the possession with being able to pick a first down or two on their possessions. It is the first game so I’d expect a few turnovers from both sides.

Dunbar: 56
Alco: 21

This game will be bad but alco should be able to keep some of the possession with being able to pick a first down or two on their possessions. It is the first game so I’d expect a few turnovers from both sides.

Dunbar: 56
Alco: 21
How does Alco's line stack up against Dunbar. My guess is that is the key to the whole game.

How does Alco's line stack up against Dunbar. My guess is that is the key to the whole game.
I see it like it was last year. Dunbar will have the bigger line across the boards but alco will have the stronger and more physical line. A 200lb kid that lifts all summer will get the better of a 250lb kid who hasn’t lifted almost every time.

When it comes to Dunbar there is a whole lot we don't know.... or, let's say I don't know. Does Dunbar have the same quarterback? How about their receivers from last year?

What I do know is that Allegany chose to keep their home-and-home in a year where they lost all their impact players except the kicker.

Reactions: camper21502
When it comes to Dunbar there is a whole lot we don't know.... or, let's say I don't know. Does Dunbar have the same quarterback? How about their receivers from last year?

What I do know is that Allegany chose to keep their home-and-home in a year where they lost all their impact players except the kicker.
Dunbar only lost 12 seniors. However the QB Jared Lewis has moved on as did his two top receivers Alphonso Graham and Ryan Wood. The bad news is that the entire offensive line is back.

Suspect last years backup QB Lamar Simpson will be at the help. He had a good many reps last year in Cumberland. We'll just have to see what happens. The game has been moved to Poly, so that could benefit Alco. It will be an interesting game... :)

Dunbar is gonna want this game bad. They will want to avenge their only loss from a season ago and I bet they have the same game plan as they had for FH. Nobody is expecting Alco to win this game except for the boys in blue. They will need to play near perfect on offense and shut down some of them 2pt conversions to win this shootout.

I see it like it was last year. Dunbar will have the bigger line across the boards but alco will have the stronger and more physical line. A 200lb kid that lifts all summer will get the better of a 250lb kid who hasn’t lifted almost every time.
Lol you think Dunbar dont lift? Funny

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Allegany has a young team. Juniors will be their leaders. They have a much better mix on offense with a couple good backs. Their defense will be much better. Dunbar is Dunbar, I'm sure they are a very good athletic team. If I wasn't a fan of the blue, I would pick Dunbar big. With that said, Alco 39 Dunbar 34

Reactions: Lagmeister
Alco will hang close in the first half. The second half is Dunbar’s...

Dunbar 41
Alco 26

Still laughing at the Dunbar doesn't lift like Dunbar is some little league team. Guys, they lift a lot. These guys aren't the stubby DT pudgy looking linemen that you have seen Dunbar have in the past. They have 6'5 300 and the smallest may be about 6'2 230. They can move and they have taken advantage of the strength PROGRAM.

Dunbar is returning their ENTIRE line. This years team will not be caught off guard with the style play of Alco. Dunbar's JV has won 3 championships in a row and they moved up a 6'3 200 QB that went undefeated in a pass-happy offense. The kid is only a Soph. but he can really pass. The other QB is a SR and is more of the athletic dual threat that if he gets in space... I'm not sure of Alco has athletes in the secondary that could catch him. I don't know who will start but both could be tough to contain.

Here's the game. Last year Dunbar gave up over 400 yard against the run and Alco gave up over 350 yards vs the pass. Which team has improved the most in this area will win the game.

Still laughing at the Dunbar doesn't lift like Dunbar is some little league team. Guys, they lift a lot. These guys aren't the stubby DT pudgy looking linemen that you have seen Dunbar have in the past. They have 6'5 300 and the smallest may be about 6'2 230. They can move and they have taken advantage of the strength PROGRAM.

You must not come to this board much, lol. When Alco wins it's because of hard work, dedication and great coaching. Come back here after the game and they will talk about Dunbar won just because they recruit, lol. You won't hear anything about the one dimensional Wing T set Allegany runs, lol.

Dunbar is returning their ENTIRE line. This years team will not be caught off guard with the style play of Alco. Dunbar's JV has won 3 championships in a row and they moved up a 6'3 200 QB that went undefeated in a pass-happy offense. The kid is only a Soph. but he can really pass. The other QB is a SR and is more of the athletic dual threat that if he gets in space... I'm not sure of Alco has athletes in the secondary that could catch him. I don't know who will start but both could be tough to contain.

Here's the game. Last year Dunbar gave up over 400 yard against the run and Alco gave up over 350 yards vs the pass. Which team has improved the most in this area will win the game.
You can talk about the strength program all you want. Dunbar had the far bigger line last year and alco was still moving them like they were nothing. I expect much of the same in that aspect of the game.

You must not come to this board much, lol. When Alco wins it's because of hard work, dedication and great coaching. Come back here after the game and they will talk about Dunbar won just because they recruit, lol. You won't hear anything about the one dimensional Wing T set Allegany runs, lol.

What's LOL about it? That Dunbar brings in transfers through the years is false? Seriously?Look over the Alco roster and point out a starter that wasn't on the roster last year.

You can talk about the strength program all you want. Dunbar had the far bigger line last year and alco was still moving them like they were nothing. I expect much of the same in that aspect of the game.

And that point right there may be the difference. I believe someone has a point to prove on both sides

Reactions: hbpass2
What's LOL about it? That Dunbar brings in transfers through the years is false? Seriously?Look over the Alco roster and point out a starter that wasn't on the roster last year.

You are gonna see the same team from last year with the addition of JV players

You are gonna see the same team from last year with the addition of JV players

I told you, lol. When either Cumberland team loses to a city school that's the excuse. They will never say they got outcoached or outworked

Reactions: OneRing
We all know Dunbar is loaded with athletes. It's amazing that Alco can even play with them and doesn't lose by 50.....even tho they might. The only way Alco has a chance to stay within 35 points is by the hardwork they put in and the coaching. We all know Dunbar has the athletes and should beat Alco by at least 40

And that point right there may be the difference. I believe someone has a point to prove on both sides

Yes, yes welcome here Meth!
Any other Dunbar tidbits you could share with us would be great. Folks love good football up here in the west and Dunbar is good football. Who do you expect the premier RB to be this year behind that line? What are the strengths of the D? I don't think Coach Hansel frequents this board so it's all good, LOL. I'm sure he has a full scouting report any way.

Also the WCBC high school radio show kicks in this Thursday at 6:00. Listen live on the radio or on the web at https://www.wcbcradio.com/. Lots of Alco/Dunbar chat. Why the game was moved to Poly...I talked to head coach Lawrence Smith about that and he has some good stuff share. Tune it to find out.

Unfortunately, the Dunbar-Alco game is not on Saturday night. I would expect that if it was that some FH fans would attend, possibly in close numbers to Alco fans. Don’t be surprised if only 50 Alco fans show up in Baltimore on Friday night. Outside of last year’s Dunbar game and Homecoming with FH, Alco fans do not even attend home games well, let alone away games. It’s not a knock, it’s just a fact. I would like to see them have more people at the games and their alumni come out more.

Allegany has more honor than common sense. With a rebuilding year I would have dropped this game and laughed at anybody who said they were wrong to do so. Dunbar is and never will be in the true spirit of a 1A school.

I just hope Allegany gets through the damn thing without injuries. Then again, things like this happen to prove to us life isn't fair. Folks can post all the lopsided projections they want or even suggest that the difference between Alco and Dunbar is that Dunbar has a better program.

Read it all before. Read most of it when FH should have had more championships... and they should have.

I told you, lol. When either Cumberland team loses to a city school that's the excuse. They will never say they got outcoached or outworked

Try getting real instead of undercutting your credibility. Allegany is lucky to get the numbers to field a football team. Dunbar pulls from the entire damn city. You're better than this.

Ugh.... first hand-off last year didn't Robinette go over 35 yards or so? In the obsolete Wing T Alco ran for 499 yards... Robinette accounted for 232 yards.

Last edited:
15 years later and its still good to come to the ole board to talk about Dunbar pulling athletes from the entire city of Baltimore. How Dunbar has Athletes..speed code word for brothers ...lol. Btw, Ive seen plenty of fast white kids..lol. As far as recruiting goes. Dunbar has the same advantage as the other over 25 high schools. Edmondson and Douglass had the same talent pool to pluck from but never won a championship in 1A . Never heard one complaint when western MD was racking up chips.

Back to the game.

I'm not buying Alco is going through a rebuilding year jazz. They still have that bull running the ball that looked like Bo Jackson on Techmo Bowl against our D. Last year Dunbar was supposed to be the rebuilding year and they experimented with the Dline and linebackers the first 3 weeks to find the right group. For that reason they were a different defense in the championship game. We know that Alco ain't gonna shy away from Wing T bellys and traps, just like you Dunbar ain't shying away from spreading you out. The kids will simply have to read their keys. I'm sure Alco has been doing tackle in space drills all summer.

Here's what I'm worried about .....PENALTY YARDS AND WASTING DRIVES...

Breakdown coming soon.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
15 years later and its still good to come to the ole board to talk about Dunbar pulling athletes from the entire city of Baltimore. How Dunbar has Athletes..speed code word for brothers ...lol. Btw, Ive seen plenty of fast white kids..lol. As far as recruiting goes. Dunbar has the same advantage as the other over 25 high schools. Edmondson and Douglass had the same talent pool to pluck from but never won a championship in 1A . Never heard one complaint when western MD was racking up chips.

Back to the game.

I'm not buying Alco is going through a rebuilding year jazz. They still have that bull running the ball that looked like Bo Jackson on Techmo Bowl against our D. Last year Dunbar was supposed to be the rebuilding year and they experimented with the Dline and linebackers the first 3 weeks to find the right group. For that reason they were a different defense in the championship game. We know that Alco ain't gonna shy away from Wing T bellys and traps, just like you Dunbar ain't shying away from spreading you out. The kids will simply have to read their keys. I'm sure Alco has been doing tackle in space drills all summer.

Here's what I'm worried about .....PENALTY YARDS AND WASTING DRIVES...

Breakdown coming soon.

You always post respectfully, so my hats off to you. But reality is what reality is. Alco lost every single impact player but the kicker - Robinette is gone (he chewed you up for 232 yards as fullback)!!! And, moreover, Robinette almost single-handed was the Allegany offense... I was in the stands.... almost every carry he was dragging Dunbar tacklers down the field.

Not asking you to admit it, but if Robinette had played for FH last year in the championship game.... you lose... FH wins.

Hell, Alco probably will dress less than 30 players for the game. And... ugh... you should really shitcan the 'speed code' crap. Cumberland is a dying town. It's high school football teams are mostly from tradition with outstanding athletes coming along once in a great while. Dunbar has a city and surrounding counties. Alco/FH has pretty much a shrinking dot on a map.

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
I think Dunbar's biggest problem could be themselves on Friday. Penalties and breaking in a new QB. They are calling for rain and storms Friday and a slick field may help Alco. Allegany still needs to prove they can play defense. You know Dunbar has been pointing toward this game since the loss. Allegany will need a Herculean effort from their backs and line.

Dunbar 32

Allegany 22

I thought the fullback was a Jr. Anyway, I sympathize with the size of the town vs the size of Baltimore, but the reality is that 11 will play on both sides and if things were different I still don't see anyone backing down. Walkersville and Middletown are small towns too but they get it done too with small town populations. All I'm saying is we aren't gonna create excuses. Dunbar is not St. Frances so you can relax (did I just type that).

Again back to the game.. Let's talk about the 5 plays that Alco is gonna run with the occasional tight end pop pass.

You are 100% right. It's almost embarrassing to hear anybody from Cumberland on either side say Dunbar is not as well coached or even better coached. It's either ignorance or poor sportsmanship. The argument could be made that because there are so many transfers every year that there is no consistency and the coaches have to rebuild the team and find the right fit/mix in order to win so many state championships. It would be hard to argue FH wasn't outcoached in last years final when they scored 26 first half points and zero second half points...it's not rocket science.

Many ppl will be surprised by Allegany. Christian Welch is a real good fit for a wing-t fullback. He is strong, fast, quick and a natural runner. If he gets a small hole he can take it all the way. Robinette did not have the speed or quickness. Last year as a sophomore Christian was the leader of the non-existent defense lol. He will have a huge junior year

I thought the fullback was a Jr. Anyway, I sympathize with the size of the town vs the size of Baltimore, but the reality is that 11 will play on both sides and if things were different I still don't see anyone backing down. Walkersville and Middletown are small towns too but they get it done too with small town populations. All I'm saying is we aren't gonna create excuses. Dunbar is not St. Frances so you can relax (did I just type that).

Again back to the game.. Let's talk about the 5 plays that Alco is gonna run with the occasional tight end pop pass.

"...the reality is that 11 will play"

Okay, you guys can go play St. Frances - they can only field eleven. They pull from all over the planet and you pull from the city and surrounding counties. There are excuses and then there are facts - Dunbar couldn't stop the 5 plays last year because that was a rare team for Alco. Allegany realistically cannot dress 30 players. Besides, demographically FH pulls most of the football talent in Cumberland.

Last edited:
Many ppl will be surprised by Allegany. Christian Welch is a real good fit for a wing-t fullback. He is strong, fast, quick and a natural runner. If he gets a small hole he can take it all the way. Robinette did not have the speed or quickness. Last year as a sophomore Christian was the leader of the non-existent defense lol. He will have a huge junior year

Can't wait to see 'em. Robinette was the best fullback I've seen at Alco in a long time. If I see Welch continue to drag three players down the field after running 30 yards.... well okay then. If he gets over 230 yards against Dunbar.... well okay then. I cannot disagree with what I have not seen.

You are 100% right. It's almost embarrassing to hear anybody from Cumberland on either side say Dunbar is not as well coached or even better coached. It's either ignorance or poor sportsmanship. The argument could be made that because there are so many transfers every year that there is no consistency and the coaches have to rebuild the team and find the right fit/mix in order to win so many state championships. It would be hard to argue FH wasn't outcoached in last years final when they scored 26 first half points and zero second half points...it's not rocket science.

Dunbar is always well coached and talent laden. They ran into problems in 2A because the gravy transfers didn't see anymore low hanging fruit for a title in 1A.

Reactions: towpath94

You guys out west have this mindset that Dunbar has a plethora of guys transferring every year which isn't true. They build from the JV. JV has 3 peated and could probably compete in the Baltimore City division 2 varsity division. Yes, there are occasional guys that come in, but it's not as often as you would think. As a matter of fact Dunbar has its share of kids leaving the program getting poached by local privates (St. Frances) and, Coach Smith and or the school administration that doesn't care about football wins turns down its fair share of soph and jrs attempting to transfer in the school.... any back to the 13 A gap dives plays that Alco will run and them attempting to hold the ball for at least 20:00 mins to win.

Dunbar is always well coached and talent laden. They ran into problems in 2A because the gravy transfers didn't see anymore low hanging fruit for a title in 1A.

They didnt run into problems in 2A...lol
They lost to the State Champions 3 times.
Douglass was arguably a top 5 team in the state.. they lost by 2 or 3 scores.. Lost to Patuxent by 6 in the Semi... and lost to Walkerville by 5 pts.

What happened to the FB last year Laggy?

The "bull running the ball that looked like Bo Jackson on Techmo Bowl" graduated last year and cannot be replaced BUT Alco has a strong backfield, maybe overall a little better than last year when it comes to speed and a balanced attack. It will come down to line play and judging from the South Hagerstown scrimmage and with Dunbar being better than South Hagerstown, I don't see Alco winning this year but I do expect them to hang. Dunbar 36, Alco 26

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT