ADVERTISEMENT

41-0

The last time FH was shut out was in 2002. They lost to Martinsburg 10-0. The same happened in 2001.

The worst loss was 2003 41-2 Loss to Martinsburg at Greenway that same year in the 2nd round of 2A Playoffs they went to North Hagerstown and lost 33-13

When was the last time FH got a running clock put on them, let alone shut out?
You are going to hear the kool aid drinkers come out in force to defend coach appel and his staff and dismiss anything negative...the reality is it doesn't happen often but when they get beat they really get beat!

The worst loss was 2003 41-2 Loss to Martinsburg at Greenway that same year in the 2nd round of 2A Playoffs they went to North Hagerstown and lost 33-13
in 2009 they lost to Allegany 35-14 in the playoffs after beating Allegany 17-7 two weeks before.
in 2010 they lost 42-10 at Martinsburg
2017 lost 24-6 at Friendship Collegiate
2019 lost at Greenway 48-14 to Cathedral Prep

When was the last time FH got a running clock put on them, let alone shut out?
LMAO Watched it on Livestream. FH becomes first Cumberland school to have the clock put on them in a state sem-final! BTW, check the officials name that kept throwing phantom holding calls on Catoctin. FH may have slipped one of their alumni refs they use up here in on you

You are going to hear the kool aid drinkers come out in force to defend coach appel and his staff and dismiss anything negative...the reality is it doesn't happen often but when they get beat they really get beat!
Guess I'll be a kook aid drinker. The scheme and gameplan could have been better, but this loss is squarely on the shoulders of the young men that played on the field. They played with no passion or drive, and were manhandled all night. Bad punts, snaps, and constant fumbles isnt on the coaching, and that on top of what I stated earlier is what lost this football game

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Since 1936, FH has been shut out in a loss 30 times (there were some 0-0 ties), including tonight. Six of those shut out losses occurred in 1938, I believe.

FH’s all-time record is 700 wins, 180 losses, and 17 ties. When not counting ties, FH has not scored in only 3% of the 880 games played.

To me, that is what is really surprising about this game...FH being shut out by a 1A school.

FH got beat in every aspect of the game tonight by a much better team that was well prepared...no doubt about it.

My crow will be fried.

Best wishes to the Cougars next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Guess I'll be a kook aid drinker. The scheme and gameplan could have been better, but this loss is squarely on the shoulders of the young men that played on the field. They played with no passion or drive, and were manhandled all night. Bad punts, snaps, and constant fumbles isnt on the coaching, and that on top of what I stated earlier is what lost this football game
What in your opinion was the problem tonight? Why did this team not have passion or drive? Why were there more fumbles than any other game all season? Why were kickoffs completely misjudged and rolling around on the ground? Why were punts ten yards? Did they know coach is retiring and they were mad, or upset? Did they all of the sudden just not care about winning because next week is Dunbar and they knew their coach has never beaten Dunbar and they'd get beat, AGAIN, in the playoffs by Dunbar? I'm being very sincere, I'd love to know why you think this debacle happened?
Speaking of Dunbar you know they gotta be pissed, their gimme ring just got a lot tougher!

Last edited:
What in your opinion was the problem tonight? Why did this team not have passion or drive? Why were there more fumbles than any other game all season? Why were kickoffs completely misjudged and rolling around on the ground? Why were punts ten yards? Did they know coach is retiring and they were mad, or upset? Did they all of the sudden just not care about winning because next week is Dunbar and they knew their coach has never beaten Dunbar and they'd get beat, AGAIN, in the playoffs by Dunbar? I'm being very sincere, I'd love to know why you think this debacle happened?
Speaking of Dunbar you know they gotta be pissed, their gimme ring just got a lot tougher!
Fumbles are a product of not executing. That ten yard punt, again not executing. Coaching deserves some blame, but certainly not a majority of it. I said back at the ECP game that this team seemed to be lacking in the heart department, but nobody believed me. I'm not sure why they lack that, but you couldnt have watched this game and came out thinking "well this team has heart"

Fumbles are a product of not executing. That ten yard punt, again not executing. Coaching deserves some blame, but certainly not a majority of it. I said back at the ECP game that this team seemed to be lacking in the heart department, but nobody believed me. I'm not sure why they lack that, but you couldnt have watched this game and came out thinking "well this team has heart"
I agree with you completely, but it stills begs the question why. What is going on with these guys that they didn't have heart. Coach kept saying all year how proud he was of them so it didn't seem like he would say that if it was happening...yet it appears you are right.

I agree with you completely, but it stills begs the question why. What is going on with these guys that they didn't have heart. Coach kept saying all year how proud he was of them so it didn't seem like he would say that if it was happening...yet it appears you are right.
What's he supposed to say though? Is he supposed to come out and say that his kids have no heart. The question of why the kids seemingly had no heart tonight will never have an answer

Was at game and kids definitely quit out there and were manhandled.....but coach also quit....28-0 right b4 half with catoctin getting ball to start second half....fh started drive at catoctin 39 with1:19 and all three timeouts....3 running plays and no timeouts used....kinda thinking he Quit on his team....smh and b4 anyone says I’m a hater I will let u know I’m a diehard fh fan

Was at game and kids definitely quit out there and were manhandled.....but coach also quit....28-0 right b4 half with catoctin getting ball to start second half....fh started drive at catoctin 39 with1:19 and all three timeouts....3 running plays and no timeouts used....kinda thinking he Quit on his team....smh and b4 anyone says I’m a hater I will let u know I’m a diehard fh fan
I get hated on all the time for saying something like you just said, and I don't care. Somebody will say "I think the coaches know more than you do" or "did you play, did you coach". You are stating the obvious, but there will be those who still defend a decision that is inexcusable...did he think he could maybe trade in timeouts for a new car or something?

that's exactly when I knew the game was over, down 28 and three running plays with timeouts and off to the lockerroom like hey we are done and ready to go home... I have seen it many times when Coaches try to keep the score down by running and giving up and it will never make sense to me.

Coaching hasn’t been great when teams stick 10-11 in box....never pass or adjust look at Dunbar 2018....just run the same plays stubbornly....they clam up but usually they get away with it because of our stronger line play but tonight our line got whipped like red headed step children

This is the same thing that happened with the Friendship game, there was no attempt to win in the second half.

Reactions: Blueandgold45
that's exactly when I knew the game was over, down 28 and three running plays with timeouts and off to the lockerroom like hey we are done and ready to go home... I have seen it many times when Coaches try to keep the score down by running and giving up and it will never make sense to me.
The only other time I can remember FH doing that was the finals loss to Dunbar under Lattimer. Seemed like the whole game plan was more, let's try to lose by as little as possible by eating the clock as much as possible, in that one.

Maybe the catoctin game falls under the old Mike Tyson, "everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face." Fort Hill got punched in the face early in this one and never recovered.

Reactions: Blueandgold45
This was greater by not having scored.
True the Martinsburg loss wasn't a true shutout, but there is also sometimes an even worse stigma applied when all you managed to score was a safety. Something about seeing that two in the losing points column can make it worse than a goose egg. Don't know why, scoring any points is better than zero in my book.

I would just echo this. It was bad from that first punt and just got worse.

That same scene played out in Keyser 7 or so yrs ago. Got down early and everything went haywire. I think a couple players quit after that game!!

This was the general sentiment in the stands. It was basically like taking a knee. I am not a coach and I do not know what may have been going on with the players or what the coaches were thinking but the spirit at attempting to win was gone. Yeah, it was highly unlikely in hindsight that FH could have made a comeback but comebacks happen, if one tries. At that point at the end of the 1st half, the effort was over.

Last edited:
I’m not being rude, it was bad from the first 3 and out on opening kickoff and never got any better. I have never seen a FH Line get manhandled like they did tonight. # 8 for catoctin was a animal on defense. They lined him at Nose guard, then sometimes at end. Seems he was in on almost every play.

I just think it’s kinda cool that...

this is the 1st year ever Maryland had a 32 team tournament for the state title, FH made the final 4, and we call THAT a down year... says a lot of the mentality of western Maryland and our drive to be the best.

Catoctin with the kill shot. The death of FH football as we've known of it the last 7 years. I think what we watched with this team this year is what happens with many college dynasties over the years. They think because they have the FH on the side of their helmet they can just show up and win. The heart, pride and work ethic that built the teams of the last almost decade is not known by the players today. I didn't see any of those things tonight and because of the shit schedule they were never able to build those things as a team.

This was the general sentiment in the stands. It was basically like taking a knee. I am not a coach and I do not know what may have been going on with the players or what the coaches were thinking but the spirit at attempting to win was gone. Yeah, it was highly unlikely in hindsight that FH could have made a comeback but comebacks happen, if one tries. At that point at the end of the 1st half, the effort was over.
You are a very very strong supporter of this coach and his staff, so when you say what you said I know I'm not imagining what we all saw. The question is why? Why would you do that? Did you really not think anybody would question taking three timeouts to the locker room? was there any consideration to taking a timeout after the second or third turnover and just talking about it, maybe stopping some momentum? Do you think these players truly gave up on the coach or did he give up on them?

Catoctin with the kill shot. The death of FH football as we've known of it the last 7 years. I think what we watched with this team this year is what happens with many college dynasties over the years. They think because they have the FH on the side of their helmet they can just show up and win. The heart, pride and work ethic that built the teams of the last almost decade is not known by the players today. I didn't see any of those things tonight and because of the shit schedule they were never able to build those things as a team.
People said the same thing when New England lost to Philadelphia in the Super Bowl. You seen what happened the year after. The dynasty isn’t dead, as to quote Aaron Rodgers “ R E L A X” they were beat by a good team. On to next year.

Reactions: FHHSAHS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT