ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Fort hill football

TDawson1991

Junior Varsity Reader
Dec 11, 2018
Im interested in finding out some information on next years team. I know nothing about the freshman/jv teams and was curious of the state of the upcoming talent. I have been told that they would be better than this years team who ended up with a state championship ring ( BTW congratulations to them for that achievement). Any info?

From what Ive seen and know the next couple years coming up the FH teams are loaded. I guess it depends how they come together as a team. There is speed, size and great athletes

Next year's team will be talented, but inexperienced. The entire defense will need replaced. Much will depend on if Coach Appel returns
I hear through the grapevine that some assistant coaches have called it quits

I hear through the grapevine that some assistant coaches have called it quits
Yes that is true, many of the assistants are packing it in. This staff has done an amazing job, and I would not be surprised if their all content with just going out on top with 5 chips in 6 years

Reactions: Blueandgold45
Next year's team will be talented, but inexperienced. The entire defense will need replaced. Much will depend on if Coach Appel returns
They'll have the entire offensive line except for one tackle coming back, but it'll be an entirely new defense(which wont be helped out by the fact that the d-line coach is supposedly leaving)

Yes that is true, many of the assistants are packing it in. This staff has done an amazing job, and I would not be surprised if their all content with just going out on top with 5 chips in 6 years
Can't argue with that

I think many of the teams that are coming up will have good success. How much success will be dependent of the coaching staff. I know next year they should have an easy time with most of the teams on their regular season schedule. The kind of coaching they have will dictate what they do in the post season

Reactions: RedPride97
The teams coming up will have every bit of the talent, aggressiveness and the Fort Hill mind set as this years team. There will be a lot of inexperience like some post’s stated.But like a few have said and I will back it up.It will come down to the coaching staff that fills the voids of the ones leaving.I just hope whomever does get replaced and comes on board follows the same “Mission” as the previous staff has from in the years past.
“Dedication,Hard Work,Tradition”

Last edited:
I’m glad to see that more people realize that the program is responsible for the success. It’s not like Fort Hill has many d1 kids. They definitely have good kids that work hard but to have success for years like they have it’s the coaching staff.
I watched it happen in wrestling at great bridge in Chesapeake va. They won state championship after state championship They actually made most kids d1 caliber. When the coaches left they became average.

Reactions: Redwhite90
I’m glad to see that more people realize that the program is responsible for the success. It’s not like Fort Hill has many d1 kids. They definitely have good kids that work hard but to have success for years like they have it’s the coaching staff.
I watched it happen in wrestling at great bridge in Chesapeake va. They won state championship after state championship They actually made most kids d1 caliber. When the coaches left they became average.
I hope that when it does come time to find and fill the coaching positions Todd will have the most voice in the matter for the replacements of the coaching staff. Knowing each of the coach’s personally I think they all will have some input on the matter.Gonna be some big shoes to fill when we do see the new coach’s step in. Going to be an interesting ride to watch all of this fall into place.

Last edited:
This may actually be a blessing in disguise. Most of the coaches at FH were about the same age. If they all went at once, FH would have to work through a massive vacuum. For those who aren't old enough to remember, this happened in the late seventies when almost the entire staff left at one time. Thus beginning the Chaney stint, and we all know how that played out. This will give Todd the chance to coach up some of these younger guys and, hopefully, when the time comes, FH won't miss a beat. ( BTW My projected timeline for Todd's retirement.....3 to 25 years.)

Reminds me a bit of after FH won 2A in '97, there were many rumors that Calhoun would retire. The '98 team had just one returning starter and Calhoun didn't want to leave the cupboard that bare. So he coached one more year which may have been his best job bringing FH back to the title game before losing to Urbana. Which was the beginning of their four year run.

This may actually be a blessing in disguise. Most of the coaches at FH were about the same age. If they all went at once, FH would have to work through a massive vacuum. For those who aren't old enough to remember, this happened in the late seventies when almost the entire staff left at one time. Thus beginning the Chaney stint, and we all know how that played out. This will give Todd the chance to coach up some of these younger guys and, hopefully, when the time comes, FH won't miss a beat. ( BTW My projected timeline for Todd's retirement.....3 to 25 years.)
The Chaney stint has to go down as some of the darkest day sin FH football. Anything can happen when there is a coaching change. What makes you think Todd isn't going anywhere yet...most have predicted he was gone as soon as his son graduated. I personally thought from a lot of his comments this year that he just isn't enjoying it any longer and didn't need the outside chirping as he calls it.

The Chaney stint has to go down as some of the darkest day sin FH football. Anything can happen when there is a coaching change. What makes you think Todd isn't going anywhere yet...most have predicted he was gone as soon as his son graduated. I personally thought from a lot of his comments this year that he just isn't enjoying it any longer and didn't need the outside chirping as he calls it.
Let's e honest. What else does he to prove? Root for or against FH you have to have a little envy of what he has done over the years

Going to FH was a hard time then. My four years, seasons 80-83 (class of 84) FH never once won homecoming. Someone was kind enough to spray paint on the concrete In front of the gym that last year, “NO CITY, NO STATE, GET RID OF CHANEY BEFORE ITS TOO LATE”

FH won homecoming the year before my time and the year after. Oh cruel fate... LOL

FH will be among the best two or three 1A teams again in 2019 and will probably be favored to repeat. It seems like Dunbar is always tough and it's going to be interesting to see what type of team Gwynn Park brings to 1A.

FH will be among the best two or three 1A teams again in 2019 and will probably be favored to repeat. It seems like Dunbar is always tough and it's going to be interesting to see what type of team Gwynn Park brings to 1A.
I'll say that they'll probably be around the 1 loss mark. I dont see them repeating though, due to the lack of any returning defensive starters. If Coach Appel does indeed leave then things could possibly not be as great, but I still think they would have a very good team

Just put Fort Hill and Dunbar at the top of 1A for a long time. Both may end up surpassing Seneca Valley for the most state titles.

Statistically FH has more starters coming back next year than they had coming back this year. That's how they roll. Always seniors leaving.

Last edited:
Just put Fort Hill and Dunbar at the top of 1A for a long time. Both may end up surpassing Seneca Valley for the most state titles.

Statistically FH has more starters coming back next year than they had coming back this year. That's how they roll. Always seniors leaving.
They have 4 starting offensive linemen returning, and the kicker. Thats practically the same amount last years team had

I'll say that they'll probably be around the 1 loss mark. I dont see them repeating though, due to the lack of any returning defensive starters. If Coach Appel does indeed leave then things could possibly not be as great, but I still think they would have a very good team

FH can easily win it again next year. Coach Appel has done a good job but just in terms of the program, FH and Dunbar are the only 1A schools that are making a serious commitment to football right now. The other schools either don't have enough kids coming out or they don't have the structure in their program to compete for a state title. Gwynn Park traditionally has a good program. They might lose 4 or 5 games next year depending on their schedule, because they will have to play a lot of quality 3A and 4A schools during the regular season. But like Douglass this year, their record won't tell the entire story.

Appel aint going anywhere for awhile with all the talent coming up.. He's not stupid, there are State Championship caliber teams coming up.. He will add to his Legacy and retire after 10 Championships.

Reactions: GenSneaky
Appel aint going anywhere for awhile with all the talent coming up.. He's not stupid, there are State Championship caliber teams coming up.. He will add to his Legacy and retire after 10 Championships.
I dont think the possible talent will factor into his decision whatsoever. He's won 5 and coached his son, I think he's content

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT