ADVERTISEMENT

You better watch out, you better not cry

I don't literally mean that there isn't a single "great" athlete like Trimble or Manges that isn't better than the modern guys, but simply that en masse, top to bottom, the new guys are bigger, faster stronger. As a group, as a whole, period, is what I am saying. I mean it is hard to say the new guys are "better," there is no way of knowing that, but as a whole, they are bigger, faster, and stronger and these kids and coaches live Fort Hill Football 24-7-365.
Faster, I agree. I don't know of any team from the area ever having this much speed. It's all over. Bigger and stronger, I don't agree so much.

There were several kids in the 80's that made football a 365 thing. 86 and 87 were back to back 10 win seasons in 3a. Those were the CVAL days and a playoff schedule that consisted of strong Frederick county and Montgomery county teams. There wasn't any northerns or week city teams. The Appel era has produced some very good teams in any era though.
What ? we played Northwesrern , B.W. north and south Hagerstown. Cup Cakes right off the bat. I think the teams to day would definitely take it to those teams. The over all strength of todays teams are far above those teams. There were a few really strong guys then but not the team as a whole. Also the speed of the team. Not the backs because there were some really fast backs but today's lineman would run circles around those guys.

Lol. South Hagerstown was the best team FH played this year. Yes northwestern and Walsh sucked but you hit your head if you think today's schedule compares. It's not the kids fault and yes they are talented. But they won't see the likes of magruder linganore lackey or McDonough. And personnel wise I have to disagree I was there to see West Virginia Maryland Tennessee east Carolina Kentucky JMU come
To see 4 kids on the same team every week

I'm not comparing schedules just saying there were not all the big bad schools you make them out to be. Yes south was very good this year but not so good in the 80's. Or north for that matter. But please never mention Linganore and 1987 together again. I'm getting cold just thinking about it.

Reactions: mccoke
Magruder lackey McDonough and linganore along with martinsburg and Jefferson were damn good teams in any era.

But you also had 1300 students in the school. Now there is about half that. Which is extremely significant. If those 80s teams had the same amount of students to choose from as Beall high school they would not have been competing with those 3A schools.

I agree with you. For the record I think this FH team is as good as any and better than most. However when someone says we didn't have speed size and strength like they do now I will quickly remind people about people like Furstenberg who may have been faster then anyone on this team and threw the shot put 55 feet and benched 405 (find me a kid there now that does that) and Mcconnell who destroyed people at 255 pounds Mckenny who was a force at guard and DT at 215 pounds. As I said before D1 coaches entered the doors at FHHs as much as any time in FH history outside the mid 70's. And kids got offered. They didn't get offered for being slow I assure you

Forget the scheduling.... I'm excited for next year and reigniting the Dumbar Rivalry. I want to see Dunbar come to our house...

That's my dream game Dunbar at home!

Again, just for clarification, I am in no way denying the existing of the STUDS that have been mentioned that all had the size, speed an strength. I really only mean that top to bottom, for the entire team,Football is basically 24-7-365. I also recognize that they have smaller numbers, way smaller numbers to work with in terms of overall school population, so that balances things out. It is totally not my intention to diss in anyway the past, just really trying to pump up what is being done now and how impressive top to bottom the results are with a much thinner talent pool. Bottom line, Appel has this program functioning at the absolute highest levels it could be.

I just hate how everyone is in the now and what happened in the past never happened.. There have been so many great teams in the past that people forget because they are caught up in the now. I hate hearing every yr. this team is one of the best ever.

Reactions: bigsavage
I wasn't saying they were the only guys who were better, they wouldn't have had the success without the big guys up front. I am saying as a whole, as a team, there have been many Fort Hill teams that could stack up with this group easily. It's only my opinion, but I have seen that 1975 team play every game, including their championship, and I've seen this FH team play 12 games, I'm taking the 1975 team., the old FH teams were playing the Martinsburg's and the Gaithersburg's every year, if they smaller, slower, weaker, they would not have competed with those teams, and beat them.
Lastly, the argument that todays athletes are just more advanced so to speak basically dismisses Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Michael Jordan, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Reggie Jackson, Joe Montana, OJ, Franco Harris, Bart Starr, John Riggins, Mean Joe Greene, Emmitt Smith, John Elway, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemeiux, and all the great ones I've forgotten...they would be stars in any era...let's just compare fh to all the 1a teams right now and enjoy the moment.

Ugh, not to mention Jim Brown and Mickey Mantle. Jim used to run at linebackers for fun and Mickey was the best power switch hitter of all time as well as the fastest man to first base ever.

Reactions: OneRing
This team like Ty's teams are very good. When someone comes on this board and says that past teams didn't have the strength and speed of today's players I want to call that out. There were kids 25-30 years ago that were 200+ and were 4.7 or faster that threw up big weights. Or 250+ runnin 5.1. There's a few more kids like that on each team nowadays than back then. I would like to see some of the people's playing resumes on this board talking like they were battling against those 3a powerhouses. I would bet they didn't see the field by the looks of what they post on here. They jump on the bandwagon of recent teams and call the team of the season the best ever. When everyone knows the best ever was 1975! They won in 3A and had Future NFL players. No team since can say that. 1A is child's play compared to 3A. Dont get me wrong these kids are good but the playoff level of difficulty is about a 2 when back in the 3a days it was a 9. Big red has a cake walk now. It was far from this in 3A. The semis and finals were brutal. If u don't see that I would guess you never played.

Reactions: camper21502
I agree with you. For the record I think this FH team is as good as any and better than most. However when someone says we didn't have speed size and strength like they do now I will quickly remind people about people like Furstenberg who may have been faster then anyone on this team and threw the shot put 55 feet and benched 405 (find me a kid there now that does that) and Mcconnell who destroyed people at 255 pounds Mckenny who was a force at guard and DT at 215 pounds. As I said before D1 coaches entered the doors at FHHs as much as any time in FH history outside the mid 70's. And kids got offered. They didn't get offered for being slow I assure you
As I said yes there were some that were very strong. I watch him press 405. Who do you think Mcconnell,Mckenny, Simpson,Workman,Squires,Whetzel,York pounded on. Not to even mention being run over by Beal and Wilson. I also saw James Jett when we played against Jefferson run in football and track. Yes it was amazing but as a whole from top to bottom the teams are in better condition. I know what we went through and I know what my son that graduated last year went through. Just think if they had this kind of program in the 80's.

Every era has their qualities, old and new school. Some of us lean a little to the left, some of us lean a little to the right [on sports that is]. Tell ya what though I do miss that game with Gaithersburg though, concrete bleachers, etc. On another note, did have to ask the wife what [PC] meant, that was a good one. Happy Thanksgiving!

Every year you have homers bragging about how this team is the best ever... Does any one remember my thread before the season started titled " I won't rag on area schedules if the homers don't brag about how great their team is? And here we are again... Never fails.. Taking nothing away from these kids accomplishments but they do have the luxury of cherry picked schedules... Ahh man are we back on this again?

I frequent umd message boards and after they beat Howard some were predicting an 8 win season and I was like are you kidding me? Beat someone good before the 8 win season talk... People on this board remind me of those posters... They beat Silver Oak every year and somehow that years team is the greatest ever...:D

I'm not trying to say this is the best team ever. All I'm saying is this program helps more of the players reach their potential. With that as a whole the team is better. Just my opinion. Happy thanksgiving everyone.

I'm not trying to say this is the best team ever. All I'm saying is this program helps more of the players reach their potential. With that as a whole the team is better. Just my opinion. Happy thanksgiving everyone.

FH and Alco have a long list of great teams... I take it you never saw some of those Jim Refosco/ Jack Gilmore championship teams of the 80's early 90's?? With the state of the soft scheduling and 1a football as a whole I think it best to just leave it at that... Just my opinion

Last edited:
What do these teams all have in common?

Fort Hill, Allegany, Southern, Northern, Clear Spring, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, Hancock, Joppatowne, Bohemia Manor, Cambridge, Havre de Grace, Snow Hill, Beall, Valley, Bruce and Westmar.

It's called 1A.
No different now than what it was 40 years ago when Valley, Smithsburg and Snow Hill dominated the class. If someone had told me back in the 1980s this is who FH would be competing with for state titles I would have laughed my balls off.

Cumberland aint the same. Get it?

FH is now the same size Bruce High School used to be. What part about that some of you don't accept while appreciating the accomplishments being done now on the gridiron is amazing. Dont talk about them being the greatest. That's stupid. And don't talk about their 1A schedule. That's stupid.

Last edited:
I hope FH beats a 5-5 team then goes on to play a 4-6 team for the State Championship. Maybe then the MPSSAA will look into changing things but I seriously doubt it.

This basically sums everything up, lol. And don't forget last year at the same time they played 5-5 Surrattsville in the semi-finals. You play these teams to cap off a "murders row" regular season schedule consisting of Silver Oak, Capitol Christian, Brunswick, etc. Be proud because 4 titles in a row at any level is a great accomplishment, but I'm not sure you should run around and beat your chests, lol.

The final 6 games wasn't a bad stretch. South, Sherando, and Alco twice. It sucks that the state final can't actually be the two best teams in 1A instead of the regional final.

Last edited:
Dunbar made a legendary reputation in both football and basketball winning in 1A. A school with a Baltimore recruiting pipeline beating Forest Hills to advance. lol. Since they went back to 2A nothing.

We have preached for years about Alco and their 8 state titles. Stick those teams in Fort Hill's class and cut the number in half.

Dunbar made a legendary reputation in both football and basketball winning in 1A. A school with a Baltimore recruiting pipeline beating Forest Hills to advance. lol. Since they went back to 2A nothing.

We have preached for years about Alco and their 8 state titles. Stick those teams in Fort Hill's class and cut the number in half.

Allegany and Fort Hill both had historically a much more difficult road - each in 2A or 3A - notwithstanding that they also went through each other at homecoming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT