ADVERTISEMENT

"We knew they couldn't" (throw)

Waggle Pass

Hall of Fame Poster
Apr 5, 2002
Cumberland, Md via Pittsburgh, Pa
“We set out to stop the run and that’s what we did,” Poets coach Lawrence Smith said of the second-half plan. “We just stacked the box. We forced them to throw the ball and we knew they couldn’t.”

“We set out to stop the run and that’s what we did,” Poets coach Lawrence Smith said of the second-half plan. “We just stacked the box. We forced them to throw the ball and we knew they couldn’t.”
why did it take an entire half to figure this out?

FH had guys open on a lot of them pass plays but the QB didn't get rid of the ball fast enough. I can't blame the kid though because he was running for his life..

You try to keep it close and make adjustments at halftime. Dunbar made good adjustments.

FH had guys open on a lot of them pass plays but the QB didn't get rid of the ball fast enough. I can't blame the kid though because he was running for his life..
And how do you combat that? You go to the spread, like Allegany did. Then you not only have more time because you're already set up, but it opens up the running game because dunbar couldn't put 9 men in the box.
I said this last week, Allegany gave fh the blueprint. They used short passes and the spread to mix things up. Everybody thought fh was going to run all over them with the running game. The only way that works is to duplicate the formations to get dunbar off guard. Our #5 is not Alco's #4. #4 breaks tackles and drags people on every single play. our #5 cannot do that on every play, just some of them. Allegany used the quick pitch to get outside, did anybody see a quick pitch yesterday?

Ever since Dematha ran the WR screen back in the 90’s and scored, I’ve noticed a lot of speed teams run the same play with great success against us. I don’t know what the answer is, but we need to figure it out. Seen it used 3 or 4 times against us this year for touchdowns

Ever since Dematha ran the WR screen back in the 90’s and scored, I’ve noticed a lot of speed teams run the same play with great success against us. I don’t know what the answer is, but we need to figure it out. Seen it used 3 or 4 times against us this year for touchdowns
The answer is we use it, we adapt, adjust, become more of a spread, then our defense gets to practice against that every day...not the wing-t!

And how do you combat that? You go to the spread, like Allegany did. Then you not only have more time because you're already set up, but it opens up the running game because dunbar couldn't put 9 men in the box.
I said this last week, Allegany gave fh the blueprint. They used short passes and the spread to mix things up. Everybody thought fh was going to run all over them with the running game. The only way that works is to duplicate the formations to get dunbar off guard. Our #5 is not Alco's #4. #4 breaks tackles and drags people on every single play. our #5 cannot do that on every play, just some of them. Allegany used the quick pitch to get outside, did anybody see a quick pitch yesterday?

Best description of the thread.

Fort Hill's biggest problem the last 3 games...the perimeter game not only disappeared, it was harmful.

They went from Powell setting an all-time Homecoming 187 yard rushing record running the perimeter along with Johnson rushing for 164 yards at Homecoming on the perimeter to getting negative yardage almost every time they tried to run it. Even Alco took it away in the playoff match up. All they were left with was belly into a crowded front.

Fort Hill's biggest problem the last 3 games...the perimeter game not only disappeared, it was harmful.

They went from Powell setting an all-time Homecoming 187 yard rushing record running the perimeter along with Johnson rushing for 164 yards at Homecoming on the perimeter to getting negative yardage almost every time they tried to run it. Even Alco took it away in the playoff match up. All they were left with was belly into a crowded front.
After homecoming I thought this FH offense wouldn't be stopped the rest of the yr. I thought that Powell kid would get a bunch of carries.. What happened to this high scoring offense? I know it's tougher competition in the postseason but they looked totally different..

After homecoming I thought this FH offense wouldn't be stopped the rest of the yr. I thought that Powell kid would get a bunch of carries.. What happened to this high scoring offense? I know it's tougher competition in the postseason but they looked totally different..
I personally think he didn't get that many carries thru out the year, so Alco was just surprised it wasn't belly belly belly all day. Once they knew it they were prepared the second time. Lackey is too quick not to get to the edge on a wing-t handoff that takes a while to get to the perimeter, again it's about speed and they were quick to the ball. Allegany made a living off #4 up the gutt, not all that much outside, again, the speed of Dunbar is too much to get any consistency on the outside. Just mho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT