ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Johnson to start Sunday

That's great!! Has the Cumberland area ever produced a player to START in the NFL??

Watched a few of his carries last week and there wasn't much there for him... here's hoping he breaks one this week.

I'm extremely frustrated much the same as I was when Ty Johnson was at Maryland. If the kid is leading the team in YPC for the game, why isn't he carrying the ball more? It makes no sense. There has to be something Ty isn't doing on the practice field.

First off, the Lions offensive line isn't good. No question they are the weakest link on this football team. They have tried 6 different running backs this year and none of them are lighting up the stat board. That sounds to me like a run blocking problem. No matter who carries the ball, there is no room in the middle at all.

But just like at Maryland, the Lions are not giving Ty a chance to be the man. I'm OK if he gets a chance and fails, but why no chance with Kerryon out? He is the fastest player on the team. Ty has led the Lions in YPC in 3 of the 7 games they have played. And he didn't even touch the ball against the Packers.

I have no clue. Regardless of how many times Ty gets to carry the ball, this Lions coaching staff has been one blunder after another. From curling up in a ball to protect a huge lead at Arizona, to not calling for a replay of the pass interference at the end of the Packers game. There is a reason the Lions have been poor for 4 decades.

I'm extremely frustrated much the same as I was when Ty Johnson was at Maryland. If the kid is leading the team in YPC for the game, why isn't he carrying the ball more? It makes no sense. There has to be something Ty isn't doing on the practice field.

First off, the Lions offensive line isn't good. No question they are the weakest link on this football team. They have tried 6 different running backs this year and none of them are lighting up the stat board. That sounds to me like a run blocking problem. No matter who carries the ball, there is no room in the middle at all.

But just like at Maryland, the Lions are not giving Ty a chance to be the man. I'm OK if he gets a chance and fails, but why no chance with Kerryon out? He is the fastest player on the team. Ty has led the Lions in YPC in 3 of the 7 games they have played. And he didn't even touch the ball against the Packers.

I have no clue. Regardless of how many times Ty gets to carry the ball, this Lions coaching staff has been one blunder after another. From curling up in a ball to protect a huge lead at Arizona, to not calling for a replay of the pass interference at the end of the Packers game. There is a reason the Lions have been poor for 4 decades.

Yep.. and the Ford family has always refused to invest in offensive line, even back when Barry Sanders was there. I would've retired early too if I were him and wasn't getting any help.

Matt Pat is a solid coach, though. I think he'll eventually get O-Line in there. He played O-Line in college, so he should certainly value it.

Ty finished with 7 carries for 25 yds, long run of 14 yds. 1 catch for 13 yds.
He also had two 11 yard carries for first downs called back because of offensive penalties, he was wide open for a sure TD and Stafford overthrew him, and another just missed reception that would have been somewhere in the 15 yard range.

At one point in the second quarter he was getting nearly all the snaps, but the second half didn't go the same way.

He did lead all RB's with 25 snaps, but that was nearly half what he got last week (49).

There was an article in the Detroit Free Press newspaper about the Lions making a move for a top level RB.
LINK: After beating Giants, are Detroit Lions buyers or sellers at trade deadline?

My reply was the same to the Detroit folks. I see it with teams at all levels from the Lions to my alma mater Florida State. They always reach for the glitz and glitter of a top level skill guy while ignoring gigantic position needs that don't make headlines like the offensive line. Even the media talks about fixing their rushing woes with new running backs. I don't think it could be any more obvious that the Lions OL is the weakest link on that team. And as ConeyIsland put it...it was the same when Barry Sanders played 3 decades ago and it's still the same personnel decision making with the same dismal 30 year results over and over. . C'mon man, I don't get it. These are supposed to be professionals. Figure it out. Go trade for a new tackle and guard. But that kind of trade doesn't sell tickets I guess. Then again neither does sitting home every January.

The fact that the Lions only have two rushing TDs all season says a fair amount. The Lions only have 638 rushing yards all season. That, too, says a lot.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
There was an article in the Detroit Free Press newspaper about the Lions making a move for a top level RB.
LINK: After beating Giants, are Detroit Lions buyers or sellers at trade deadline?

My reply was the same to the Detroit folks. I see it with teams at all levels from the Lions to my alma mater Florida State. They always reach for the glitz and glitter of a top level skill guy while ignoring gigantic position needs that don't make headlines like the offensive line. Even the media talks about fixing their rushing woes with new running backs. I don't think it could be any more obvious that the Lions OL is the weakest link on that team. And as ConeyIsland put it...it was the same when Barry Sanders played 3 decades ago and it's still the same personnel decision making with the same dismal 30 year results over and over. . C'mon man, I don't get it. These are supposed to be professionals. Figure it out. Go trade for a new tackle and guard. But that kind of trade doesn't sell tickets I guess. Then again neither does sitting home every January.

Amen, Todd. I've always been surprised (but then not really because it's the Lions) at how Detroit always hands a Brinks truck of cash to Matt Stafford, who's certainly a good QB, but nowhere near Brees/Brady/Manning etc. Yet on the other side, they've never invested in O-Line. Like, never.

I'm shocked Stafford has stayed around so long, but with as well as they've paid him, I guess that's been enough for him to both take a beating and live in a crap area. I always admired how Calvin Johnson rolled out of town and retired, though. Same with Barry, even though he opted out of achieving all-time records. I don't think enough players do that in less than optimal situations.

Ty Johnson (DET) has averaged just 3.2 yards per carry (83 yards/26 carries) since week 6 of 2019 -- tied for 5th lowest of 45 qualified NFL RBs;

Ty Johnson (DET) is averaging 3.5 yards per carry, which is second best on the team for players win more than 10 carries. Ty Johnson also is the 2nd leading receiver among the Detroit running backs.

With 8 running backs getting carries, the fact none of them are putting up numbers makes a logical deduction that their OL is not producing.

My 2 cents

Maybe I’m just a smash mouth football loving guy, or I just have common sense, maybe both...

Why so many pass attempts on 1st down?? Why in the hell are they passing on 2nd and 3??? What about 2nd and 6 even... why not run on 2nd and 6 and hope for a 3rd n short? It’s simple football logic I thought, but maybe I’m just used to BIG RED. They’re not legitimately attempting to establish the run, but I’m not NFL talent, so who am I.

Ty talks a lot of trash... every time he touches the ball. I don’t get it... I hope he isn’t that rubbing anyone wrong in his own locker room. There has been much bigger holes for the other rushers if I’m being honest. I’m not suggesting conspiracy, but if he was that arrogant in the locker room, I would be like “man **** THAT guy”!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT