ADVERTISEMENT

Two point conversion photo

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Nice photo shot by Jerry Meeks on the Alco two point conversion try. Probably fitting that Fort Hill's #20 is involved. The newspaper says the ball was only inches short of the goal line. The replay to me looks like he is a full yard short. If anyone had a better angle maybe they could give their opinion. I don't think there was any question the ball didn't cross the goal line though. Great game by both teams...very good football.

2_point_conversion_stop.jpg

Where's the blocking? LOL I didn't have an opinion because all I seen was a pile of players.. I still don't know why #4 didn't get it there.. If we did get it there I wouldn't be surprised if FH came back to win with the passing game which we have been awful at defending all yr. I'm just proud of how we played when everyone including myself had them losing by a couple TDs.. It was a fun game to watch...

The blocking was in the next gap to the right. #4 went through the line on a lead block nearly untouched. The conversion was good as gold if 25 follows him through. Just a bang bang play.

The blocking was in the next gap to the right. #4 went through the line on a lead block nearly untouched. The conversion was good as gold if 25 follows him through. Just a bang bang play.
I wonder if Hansel would've had him follow #4 if he had gotten the timeout in time? I wonder if FH would've done anything different on defense?

The paper said that he wanted to change the formation. It wouldn't have mattered, Todd knew that he could have scored anytime he wanted. Example, Fort Hill could have scored on that last drive but took a knee on the 7 with 1:42 left.

This was just another case of Todd letting Alco stay close, butt it did almost bite him in the rear this time.

Let's be honest, this is no longer a rival game. In the last decade, Fort Hill is 15-1 against Alco. Now, it's just another cheap win.

Nice photo shot by Jerry Meeks on the Alco two point conversion try. Probably fitting that Fort Hill's #20 is involved. The newspaper says the ball was only inches short of the goal line. The replay to me looks like he is a full yard short. If anyone had a better angle maybe they could give their opinion. I don't think there was any question the ball didn't cross the goal line though. Great game by both teams...very good football.

2_point_conversion_stop.jpg
My son and I was by the 25 second clock at that end zone looked like he was a half yard short.

In a crazy game such as this, where if you change the result of 10 or so plays it alters the outcome, it's easy to second guess coaching decisions. Coach Hansel could have called his last time out before the 2 point conversion. He said to the media they wanted to change the line splits, not the play...which is the same exact play they just scored on and had averaged over 4 yards every other time they ran it. With 3:43 left on the clock and FH having all 3 time outs left I felt that it would come down to a Danny King FG whether Alco made the 2 point conversion or kicked it to tie. Maybe that was in Coach Hansel's mind. But Alco missed the conversion and it was a moot point.

I don't criticize going for two at all. Coach Hansel's quote sums it all up. When you are trying to end a dynasty run you have to take chances. He worded it something like that and he is correct. The underdog doesn't sit back and try to hold on.

Second guessing is what we all do so no disrespect intended toward Alco coaches. They did an absolute masterful job with this game in every facet. Just playing easy armchair QB, but I would still have given the ball to Robinette on the two point conversion. I don't care what other play worked here or there. I live or die with the ball in his hands and don't even think twice. Once again, I am totally impressed with this Allegany coaching staff and the effort their kids gave.What preparation and determination. It was too bad there had to be a loser Friday night.

Even more...if I ever build a team in any sport, I want someone like Cameron Bratton as my leader. People telling me for two weeks he shouldn't play. LOL. Whatever. You can't keep a player like him off the field as his teammates are depending on him. My kind of dude!!!

Last edited:
Even if ALCO made that conversion, didn't FH have field position to win the game anyway with time to spare? I caught the game on the radio, so I'm fuzzy on recollection of the details.

Even if ALCO made that conversion, didn't FH have field position to win the game anyway with time to spare? I caught the game on the radio, so I'm fuzzy on recollection of the details.
Yes they would of had a chance to score but Allegany kicked an onside kick that they wouldn't have and FH didn't move the ball the previous time they had the ball and the one before that that gave them the lead was when stopped on 4th and 2 at midfield they got a Facemask Penalty that kept the drive alive.

Yes they would of had a chance to score but Allegany kicked an onside kick that they wouldn't have and FH didn't move the ball the previous time they had the ball and the one before that that gave them the lead was when stopped on 4th and 2 at midfield they got a Facemask Penalty that kept the drive alive.
True, but after the onside attempt Alco couldn't stop FH when they needed to the most. FH reeled off a couple first downs to ice it. No telling what could have happened if Alco converted for 2!!

Reactions: Waggle Pass
True, but after the onside attempt Alco couldn't stop FH when they needed to the most. FH reeled off a couple first downs to ice it. No telling what could have happened if Alco converted for 2!!
Yeah I agree, I was also thinking after they got a first down and crossed midfield Allegany would of been smart to let FH break loose and score and be down 8 with the ball and a chance

Don't think it would have mattered what defense alco was in if they kick it deep or onside kick. FH works alot on 2 min drill every practice. QB was 3 for 4 passing for 75 yards with 2 td with 1 dropped pass. Alco would have been in some prevent defense and #3 would have been able to pass or run. Hats off to Coach Hansel and his staff has his program going in the right direction. Has his players buy in and believing

If Alco converted they kick it deep and they would've been so pumped up so who knows? The energy and excitement went out of them when they didn't convert. They knew the only chance they had was an onside kick. FH recovered the 2nd kick and that was ball game. Alco looked like they gave up after that. They only had 1 timeout left so they needed a quick 3 and out for any chance. They probably should've let them score but if I'm Todd I tell my kids not to...

Yes lots of ifs in this game. If #25 catches a 3Rd down pass that hit him in the hands with no one around on Fort Hill's next to last possession it is 28-14 and the game is over. Instead of a touchdown FH is punting for Alco to score last td. If Fort Hill scores right before the half after driving the length of the field instead of fumbling on 1st down in the red zone that probably changes a great deal. That fumble to end the half was a crushing blow and gave Alco all the momentum going into the locker room. The only touchdown Alco had in the 1st half was due to a fumble on FH opening possession deep in their own territory.

I could use some ifs for Alco too. It was that kind of game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT